Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Kingpin
Bison256 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 9:19 amThe 4chan scum spread their poison to the rest of the internet.
You and I seem to remember those dark days back in 2016 very differently. This wasn't just an outbreak in one scummy corner of the internet which them spread everywhere else, the poison you describe cropped up everywhere; 4chan, Youtube, Facebook, this very forum.

I was editing, deleting and banning people on a weekly, if not daily basis because of just how vile they were getting. They can't all have been 4chan users.

The aforementioned troll I used to troop with who mocked those sick and dying children used to be a member of this forum, and the UK-based costuming group I'm involved with. He may have had a 4chan badge among all the others he wore, but he was a homegrown Ghosthead who became an extremist.
SSJmole, back, tylergfoster and 5 others liked this
By back
Kingpin wrote: December 11th, 2019, 9:27 am
Bison256 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 9:19 amThe 4chan scum spread their poison to the rest of the internet.
You and I seem to remember those dark days back in 2016 very differently. This wasn't just an outbreak in one scummy corner of the internet which them spread everywhere else, the poison you describe cropped up everywhere; 4chan, Youtube, Facebook, this very forum.

I was editing, deleting and banning people on a weekly, if not daily basis because of just how vile they were getting. They can't all have been 4chan users.

The aforementioned troll I used to troop with who mocked those sick and dying children used to be a member of this forum, and the UK-based costuming group I'm involved with. He may have had a 4chan badge among all the others he wore, but he was a homegrown Ghosthead who became a extremist.
Ben, your hard work Moderating here doesnt go unappreciated. :)
You've earned more than 100,000 of these!
Kingpin, tylergfoster, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By SSJmole
Kingpin wrote: December 11th, 2019, 9:27 am

The aforementioned troll I used to troop with who mocked those sick and dying children used to be a member of this forum, and the UK-based costuming group I'm involved with. He may have had a 4chan badge among all the others he wore, but he was a homegrown Ghosthead who became an extremist.
Very well said and I highly appreciate the fact you are not just selectively choosing who is bad. That allows a dialogue to happen and allows a fan base to grow and heal we need more people doing that. Thank you.
tylergfoster liked this
By back
Last I checked, We're all Ghostbusters Nerds (sounded cooler in my head).... Reading this topic, with all the stills... we really should try to place any and all props/locations to their respective places in the 1984-2009 Ghostbusters universe with Image reference; to avoid future double-posts/confusion.
Sadly, my image editing software blows... So anyone here that can assist would be Greatly appreciated. :)
By timeware
I often referred to the dick head that attacked the cast of 2016 as a douche buster. Still do because his name isn't worth remembering.

At one point I thought he was a plant by Sony to add to the controversy but the pond scum and I refuse to call him a human being was that much of an actual factual son of a bare assed monkey bitch.
SSJmole liked this
By groschopf
GhostbustersZorge wrote: December 11th, 2019, 9:21 am Actually I'm not a Fan of these re-edits, but this one really got me.
Identical up to the point where the Ecto shows up, but then, wow...

https://youtu.be/3P5TvDNEAgg
I prefer the music they used in the trailer. A straight-up genre fake-out for the first half, the subtle segue into Venkman's three-cord key, the way the music swells and sounds epic. Most of all, I get why people would want Ray Parker Jrs theme in there, but this felt much more timeless.

Totally get if it's not everyone cup of tea. I just prefer what they did over the edited version.
tylergfoster, back liked this
By Kingpin
back wrote: December 11th, 2019, 10:08 amReading this topic, with all the stills... we really should try to place any and all props/locations to their respective places in the 1984-2009 Ghostbusters universe with Image reference; to avoid future double-posts/confusion.
I'll try grab some snaps of the Proton Pack and P.K.E. later. The Packs, like the uniforms and Ecto-1 are 1984 style, though the P.K.E. is more weathered than in either instance. Comparing the Afterlife trailer to the sequence in the library basement, it looks like the lights on the new prop are set to closely resemble the pattern from 1984.
back, RichRyan1507 liked this
By modern homie
Trailer, plot, actors, etc. all established.

I CANNOT wait for the toy lines associated with this. Pretty sure we’re getting some Kenner RGB line rereleases but what I can’t wait for is the Ecto-1 with the gunner chair. My wife already hates this movie.
By SSJmole
Now a question I would have will this have a giant things walking through the town or city?

Ghostbusters 1 had stay puft marshmallow Man
Ghostbusters 2 had the statue of liberty
Ghostbusters answer the call had Rowan

At this point as they've all had them it's a part of the formula for the movie. So what will be? With some people online comparing the trailer too transformers in tone (I really don't get that) could it be ecto 1 transformed ? A new monster / ghost ? If gozer is back like game and comics could it be stay puft as as the destructor form is still the same? Something else entirely or will be this be first one to not have one which would be odd
By SSJmole
modern homie wrote: December 11th, 2019, 10:37 am Trailer, plot, actors, etc. all established.

I CANNOT wait for the toy lines associated with this. Pretty sure we’re getting some Kenner RGB line rereleases but what I can’t wait for is the Ecto-1 with the gunner chair. My wife already hates this movie.
Think they'll sell a pair of goggles that really do Polaroid pictures? If when I watch it on TV I like it , I'd buy those
back, robbritton liked this
By SpaceBallz
Michael Scott wrote: December 11th, 2019, 10:54 am I’d prefer it not have a giant object walking the streets in the last act. If ever a movie would break formula, it should be this one.
It looks like a very small town, it'd be a short walk lol
RichRyan1507, Sav C, deadderek and 2 others liked this
By SSJmole
Michael Scott wrote: December 11th, 2019, 10:54 am I’d prefer it not have a giant object walking the streets in the last act. If ever a movie would break formula, it should be this one.
That's cool if you'd prefer not.

Personally as I've mentioned none of it feels like Ghostbusters. It still feels like stranger things or that recent power rangers movie to me. So I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't follow the Ghostbusters formula as so far doesn't seem like a Ghostbusters film. It feels Like an unrelated movie that they slapped Ghostbusters on.

But I guess part of me is just hoping it was just a first trailer and it'll feel like a Ghostbusters film. But they've already got rid of New York then I've got rid of the giant thing if they don't. The kids aren't scientists as they are kids. Its disappointing as everyone talked about the new director writer guy is being such a big fan and yet he's taken everything away that makes Ghostbusters.

Basically the movie version of sanctum of slime , I mean where it's nothing like the ones the people like before it it seems completely not Ghostbusters but they used some of the assets and called it. As Santa slime was literally just a generic stick shooter that they slapped Ghostbusters on.
By timeware
I think it would be less expensive to have a company build a modern digital pair of goggles then to put a photo printer inside something small like that.

Either way the replica will probably run from 300 to a grand depending on the sophistication of the building process. Especially if actauall night vision and infra red features are added.
By SpaceBallz
SSJMole, I think that was the entire point of this first trailer, to show everyone that its different. The next few trailers will be the "fun" ones I'm sure.
Corey91, RichRyan1507, moviemaker29 and 2 others liked this
lozbloke wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:42 am Apologies if it has been mentioned already, but one of the things I did like, was the use of Elmer Bernstein's score, which sounds like it's been rearranged a bit
They were wise to go that route. Using Bernstein's score as a scaffolding is a subliminal indication of the direction of this film -- reverence for what made the first film great, but brought up to date.
RichRyan1507, RedSpecial, lozbloke and 8 others liked this
groschopf wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:44 am
lozbloke wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:42 am Apologies if it has been mentioned already, but one of the things I did like, was the use of Elmer Bernstein's score, which sounds like it's been rearranged a bit
They were wise to go that route. Using Bernstein's score as a scaffolding is a subliminal indication of the direction of this film -- reverence for what made the first film great, but brought up to date.
Speaking of which, has anyone heard any rumors about who will be scouring the film? Not random speculation or who you want for it. Actual rumors.
By Michael Scott
groschopf wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:42 am
moviemaker29 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 7:59 am - There is a decent amount of emphasis on the hardware store scene - could this be the soft opening scare? The tone looks spot on!
Love that idea! I hope you're right.
According to the Vanity Fair trailer article, the guy with the shovel is Coon’s real life husband Tracy Letts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanity ... s-1984/amp
By SSJmole
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
SpaceBallz wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:16 am SSJMole, I think that was the entire point of this first trailer, to show everyone that its different. The next few trailers will be the "fun" ones I'm sure.
Which is why it's bad

If the point is people kept saying is to show this is part of the original movies and for the fans why they make it completely unrecognisable besides a couple of props?

It would be like when they did the Star Trek reboot movie if they release the trailer to show people it's like Star Trek and they only used the scenes when Kirk and his dad were in a field then just 1 shot of the enterprise and 1 shot of them using a phaser.

Like ghostbuster fans keep trying to compare it to the force awakens and what they did with Star wars. But as much as I don't like it , I like and appreciate the reason the force awakens worked and got fans back was it was literally A New hope just slightly different.

Which is kind of what people want. If you talk to people about Ghostbusters and ask them what they want for a new film they tell you what they loved about the original film and how the original film made them feel. To then go "you liked it being about a group of scientists in New York who came together to save the city from the giant marshmallow Man Well...... This is about a few kids and it's set in the country !"

I mean trying to be different , making the cast teenagers and setting it in the country in a town ending in ville ...... Ah that's why the CW show smallville was so beloved by everyone!

I don't want different I want Ghostbusters
By tylergfoster
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 12:00 pm I don't want different I want Ghostbusters
To me, it feels like both. But, of course, "new and different" is my mantra.

One thing I've been meaning to say but keep forgetting is, I would be interested in seeing the movies go in a different direction with the organization if this is a hit. As Ghostbusters II and this have both ultimately gone with the Ghostbusters being out of business, I would like to see them sort of embrace that aspect and make them more investigators than exterminators. When I was still hoping for a sequel to Ghostbusters (2016), that's how I thought they should play it: research pointing to some cataclysmic event that prompts them to do a bit of globe-hopping and mythology-researching.
groschopf, deadderek, robbritton and 1 others liked this
Good lord SSJMole, we get it - you hate the trailer and don't like the feel of this film because it's not in NYC!!

Is it different and doesn't feel like the other films? Yes, absolutely! I loved the feel of 80s NYC in all sorts of films from GB to Crocodile Dundee to Wall Street due in part to the grittiness of the city at the time and the film stock used, but there is no recreating that today and after 2 films, one major way to keep this fresh was to change the location. (Not to mention the fact that it is VERY expensive to film in NYC now and this film had to be made on a realistic budget with minimal risk).

And guess what? One of the biggest complaints from critics and even some fans all the way back in 1989 was that GBII was too similar in everything from pacing, storyline, and structure to GB84 which is part of the reason it did not do as well in theaters as they had hoped (coupled with Batman 89's dominance right after its release). The film you want in terms of aesthetic is the exact kind of sequel they made with GBII.

Hell, GB16 was set in NYC and quite honestly, I don't think it added much personality to the film at all like the originals did. That movie had significantly bigger issues and its location wouldn't have mattered.

You can bitch and moan and groan about how taking it out of NYC is not Ghostbusters to you, but what they have done with this film is exactly the kind of evolution that makes it unique and advances the mythology of Ghostbusters, all while being faithful to the originals - the right story, heart, mysticism, eeriness, action, etc. all seems to be there. I have no doubt the right kind of humor will follow in subsequent trailers too.

Without question, you are entitled to your opinion, but all I am saying is don't rule this film out yet. If you can get over the look of it, I think you're gonna find a tremendously faithful, yet modernly fresh GB film awaits us next summer.
Last edited by moviemaker29 on December 11th, 2019, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gozerhead, lozbloke, Dr.D and 9 others liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]