Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 8th, 2020, 6:18 pm And dislike of recurring fads.
Good job this movie franchise wasn't attempted to be brought back in 2016 and now again in 2020 by following up on a movie from 1989. Or Hollywood doesn't keep having a reoccurring fad about continuing franchises like Jurassic park or star wars or the shinning with new cast. else somone could make a joke about this movies existence been a recurring fad!
This Post Contains Spoilers
I love real 3D, but this is probably "post-3D" since Jason didnt film it with 3D cameras. I'm guessing that they're so far along in the post-production process that they decided to do a 3D conversion with all the extra time they have.
Ugh hard pass on the 3D gimmick from me. So we all assuming we're getting a Super Bowl ad?
deadderek wrote: January 8th, 2020, 10:50 pm Ugh hard pass on the 3D gimmick from me. So we all assuming we're getting a Super Bowl ad?
It's 50:50. Promotion for ATC didn't happen during the Super Bowl and Sony released the trailer teaser the week after then the first trailer March 3, sorta starting appearances on TV talk shows. Then a preview at CinemaCon in April.

But for Afterlife, they've already released the first trailer. Even if they don't shill out for Super Bowl, nothing is stopping Sony (and other studios) from just 'bandwagon advertising' and posting online for free on YouTube and social media. And this year's CinemaCon is March 30 to April 2, 2020. And WonderCon is April 10-12, 2020. Imo, they should start promotion asap. I think definitely by April, probably by March, maybe next month during the Super Bowl.
Rex Features wrote: January 9th, 2020, 2:46 am
groschopf wrote: January 8th, 2020, 1:10 pm Breaking, from Jason over at GBNews:

LOOKS LIKE GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE WILL BE RELEASED IN 3D
Thereby guaranteeing a minimum of 2 cinema viewings from me (like it wouldn't have already :mrgreen:)
Just debating do I go for 3d first or not?
3d first always (or 4d if they do that like one near me had star wars in 4DX) as then you get story but are more in awe of effects

Then 2d as you can enjoy story again but notice things you didn't the first time in dialogues or Easter eggs ect...

That's what I like on films I see more than once
Thankfully my local theaters do $5 Tuesdays. I will be seeing it from release until it's gone. :D
RichRyan1507 liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 8:19 am No. Sony has not bought a Superbowl ad in years, for anything, including Spider-Man.
True. And past performance is the most likely predictor of future behavior. You're most likely correct (and know a whole lot more about the industry than I do).

I still wonder if the studio might be eager to put this in front of people and make clear that it ties in to the continuity of the first two films. There have been plenty of Spider-man films this century. Not so much with the Ghostbusters franchise.

Men in Black didn't fare well last summer (I really wanted to like it, but didn't). I imagine the studio might want to try something a little different to put butts in seats right now.
Last edited by Kingpin on January 10th, 2020, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
Although Sony's track record for not investing in Super Bowl ads in a while probably means we won't see anything, I do keep holding onto a bit of hope that they take a slightly different approach with this film.

I absolutely agree that they are going to make a strong push to distance it from ATC and make sure people know this is a proper sequel. As pointed out above, both the Spider-Man and MIB franchises have had sequels pretty consistently over the years, staying fresh in audiences' minds so it makes sense they didn't invest in SB ads for them. Afterlife is a bit of a different beast and it'll be really interesting to see how they market it. My only fear at this point is that they show us too much of the film ahead of time to ensure general audience interest.

But with it being really likely we'll get a great first look at the toy lines at Toy Fair next month, it would be awesome to get a first glimpse at the OG cast in a SB spot or online spot in early February!
Spider-Man didn't get superbowl last 2 as there is point. He was in civil war and he was in avengers infinity war and game before both , that's a bigger advertisement.

MIB: International they weren't sure as none of the originals were in it that it would succeed it was a risk to try and make it a big franchise again. (I liked it but know Risk)

Now id argue ghostbusters is in MIB: International spot. The orginals aren't big parts based on first trailer as if they were they'd 100% showed them , there's no reason not to. So ghostbusters is also a risk to try and create a big brand. Now with the hate 2016 got for "girls can't be busters!!!" And this has a girl in it , superbowl would be suicide for it imo. They are best avoiding that.

Plus superbowl ads cost massive amounts of money it'd cannibalise their marketing budget and increase costs , why increase budget for a move that probably wouldn't work.

Releasing trailers online and regular tv or attached to movies is I'd argue best for it.
Hairy Biker wrote: January 9th, 2020, 1:55 pm Why's it some important to have something at the super bowl?
It's not now days. It was back in the day but vie ibg has changing. A video uploaded to YouTube by companies can usually get more exposure than if it was the Superbowl

It's why E3 keeps getting smaller ect... As why pay money to get the exposure you already can free via Facebook Twitter and YouTube?
back liked this
If Sony was actually smart they'd beg for the halftime show spot by throwing in Ray Parker Jr, dress up the cheerleaders as Ghostbusters and have the Ecto one on Stage behind him.

With drones being capable of projecting now it wouldn't be that difficult to turn them into ghosts. Galaxy edge did this with the x wings. Would be awesome to see.
timeware wrote: January 9th, 2020, 4:18 pm If Sony was actually smart they'd beg for the halftime show spot by throwing in Ray Parker Jr, dress up the cheerleaders as Ghostbusters and have the Ecto one on Stage behind him.

With drones being capable of projecting now it wouldn't be that difficult to turn them into ghosts. Galaxy edge did this with the x wings. Would be awesome to see.
Cringe.
Dr.D, RichRyan1507, back and 4 others liked this
SSJmole wrote: January 9th, 2020, 11:19 am Spider-Man didn't get superbowl last 2 as there is point. He was in civil war and he was in avengers infinity war and game before both , that's a bigger advertisement.

MIB: International they weren't sure as none of the originals were in it that it would succeed it was a risk to try and make it a big franchise again. (I liked it but know Risk)

Now id argue ghostbusters is in MIB: International spot. The orginals aren't big parts based on first trailer as if they were they'd 100% showed them , there's no reason not to. So ghostbusters is also a risk to try and create a big brand. Now with the hate 2016 got for "girls can't be busters!!!" And this has a girl in it , superbowl would be suicide for it imo. They are best avoiding that.

Plus superbowl ads cost massive amounts of money it'd cannibalise their marketing budget and increase costs , why increase budget for a move that probably wouldn't work.

Releasing trailers online and regular tv or attached to movies is I'd argue best for it.
But from the info available the OGs are in this movie (even if only fleetingly). Imagine the excitement that could be whipped up with a Super Bowl ad with the 3 remaining guys in it, promoting this film.
Its probably irrelevant at this point anyhow as Sony's recent record suggests it's not likely, but I know I'd certainly mark out for a trailer hitting with the OGs making an appearance to let the general public know "We're back"
Kingpin wrote: January 10th, 2020, 1:29 am
Davideverona wrote: January 10th, 2020, 12:46 am Yes, but I didn't understand what the hell was going on.
They were using Ecto-1 to promote a new type of camera.
all that blah blah blah and they didn't even use the real fire house :sigh:
groschopf liked this
BRD 527 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:39 am

Lets watch the movie FIRST.... Before we make any 'Game-Changing' judgments. I promised to keep an Open Mind WITH Pie on my face... You should too. :)
RichRyan1507 liked this
back wrote: January 10th, 2020, 6:01 am
BRD 527 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:39 am

Lets watch the movie FIRST.... Before we make any 'Game-Changing' judgments. I promised to keep an Open Mind WITH Pie on my face... You should too. :)
That's not for the movie. It's just an Atom View demo, hence the use of the Sony office as a backdrop. They just needed a quick virtual setdec.

Sony Pictures Buys Nurulize, a Virtual Production Software Startup

"Nurulize’s Atom View software “enables us to integrate the highest-quality volumetric data capture with traditional workflows for film, television, and gaming, ushering a new method of content creation — the blending of the digital and the real — in truly innovative ways,” said Glenn Gainor, president of Sony Innovation Studios and head of physical production for Screen Gems.

SPE has used Nurulize’s technology on several projects, including to capture a virtual model of the “Men in Black: International” 52,000-square-foot movie set in the U.K. The “MIB” virtual set was used for an NBA Finals co-promotional spot with the film’s co-stars, Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson (pictured above) which aired on ESPN and ABC. That saved producers money on overseas travel costs, set decoration and time."
robbritton, back, SSJmole and 1 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: January 10th, 2020, 12:46 am Yes, but I didn't understand what the hell was going on.
The narration from that woman was really annoying. It was like a sales pitch from a door to door guy that was really trying to convince you that your life would end if you didn't buy his vacuum cleaner.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm

The narration from that woman was really annoying. It was like a sales pitch from a door to door guy that was really trying to convince you that your life would end if you didn't buy his vacuum cleaner.
That would suck.
BRD 527 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:39 am all that blah blah blah and they didn't even use the real fire house :sigh:
It would've been really expensive to ship Ecto-1 3000 miles east for a camera test, when the exterior of the Ghost Corps offices provided a reasonable stand-in.
SSJmole wrote: January 10th, 2020, 2:43 pm I'm actually shocked as the backgrounds/sets in men in black international looked great. Good job sony
From my reading, it wasn't so much the film itself, but some tie-in shorts filmed for the NBA Finals that had digital backgrounds inserted.
back liked this
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]