By ecto1addict
What do you think these are worth now?

Assuming one was found in decent shape, unrestored, runs and drives but not really roadworthy for long term driving, minimal rust, overall decent condition....

Is there a chance for an average person of middle class means to be able to get one?
By Kingpin
It'll depend on your income, but you may be committing yourself to several years of saving up just to buy it, let alone restoring it, painting it, and keeping it running.

I don't wish to discourage you, only to impart from the experiences others have already posted here, that buying and operating what is now a 61-year-old-car is not to be taken lightly.
By JWils23
I’ve seen them as “cheap” as $28k around me, but that was barely running and with a lot of work on both the interior and exterior needed. I’ve also seen some that are running and need minimal work selling for $65-90k. Like Kingpin said, not only are these cars 60+ years old but they were rare back in 1959 so they’re becoming even harder to find now. I’ve also heard that some people that are selling these cars won’t sell to someone who wants to turn it into an Ecto, they want to keep their history as ambulance/hearses. Take that with a grain of salt though, just things I’ve heard over the years. Usually if someone wants to sell something and someone has cash in hand, their convictions become a bit more flexible haha

Also I try to keep an eye out for ecto specific parts and some of them like the propello ray and federal siren (if you want to go with movie accurate models) I’ve seen going for $1k+ each. I’m not saying any of this to dissuade you, just sharing what I’ve seen!
By Kingpin
JWils23 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 8:07 am I’ve also heard that some people that are selling these cars won’t sell to someone who wants to turn it into an Ecto, they want to keep their history as ambulance/hearses.
Some historic car owners/restorers are pretty vitriolic when the topic of an Ectomobile conversion comes up. Any prospective buyers shouldn't mention, allude to or even hint at what they're planning to do if they're aiming to turn a 59 Cadillac into an Ectomobile.
By danimal
seconding JWils' post, those numbers seem accurate to what I've seen over the past couple years too. Another option some of us have done is find either a year or so later MM car and graft 59 specific fins and such on it, or find a 59 and convert it with MM body sections... Most have done the former, and I think I'm one of very few who have taken the second path. Much more restorer skill needed in this path but you can build a correct looking car for far less $$ than finding an MM 59 nowadays.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]