Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Dr.D wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:45 am I gotta say there is something special in hearing Murray say he feels the move is gonna work.

Pretty big words from the due who was vehemently (for good reason) against another movie for decades.

Very exciting.
Came here to say this exact same thing! The way he references Harold and the fact that they're "down a man"... I think, even more than I did before, that Jason wrote such a heartfelt script that Murray couldn't say no.

I've been saying it since the teaser trailer... we're in for something really, incredibly special here.
Sav C, Wafflerobot liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:20 am The article certainly makes it sound like Moranis won't be returning. That's a shame. Considering Callie inherits the farm house from her father (or father-in-law), there's certainly Tax and Probate law that would come into play, which was Louis Tully's primary practice areas. I could envision a scene where Callie gets this eviction notice and has no idea what she is going to do. Then Louis shows up out of nowhere and starts explaining that she inherited this property in Oklahoma, and then goes into painful detail about intestate law and the Uniform Probate Code, similar to his "Ted and Annett Flemming monologue" in GB1.
They say in the article that she inherits the house from her father... so Spengler daughter pretty much confirmed
JonXCTrack wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:20 am The article certainly makes it sound like Moranis won't be returning. That's a shame. Considering Callie inherits the farm house from her father (or father-in-law), there's certainly Tax and Probate law that would come into play, which was Louis Tully's primary practice areas. I could envision a scene where Callie gets this eviction notice and has no idea what she is going to do. Then Louis shows up out of nowhere and starts explaining that she inherited this property in Oklahoma, and then goes into painful detail about intestate law and the Uniform Probate Code, similar to his "Ted and Annett Flemming monologue" in GB1.
That's a great idea. I'm sure they tried their hardest to get Rick. Even something like a post-production voice-over or lawyer video-will would be so incredible.

My hope is that this movie is so successful that there'll be a sequel in development soon-after. There's nothing to say the OGB can't be involved in a future movie. And besides, Venkman is going to want that residual money if the business re-opens.

We really don't know the full scope of the OGB involvement in this movie, and that's okay. It's probably really special, so they're keeping it a secret until the last possible moment.

The secret lab/HQ is very interesting to me. If that's where Egon was accidentally killed, does that mean Ray has already been there?
Oh cool there is a lot to digest here. First the picture of Rudd and Coon is pretty cool. It is cool seeing 2 new characters doing some research. I think the mystery of the town and the families connection to the GBs is going to be a lot of fun. Now the article of Bill playing with the interviewer and telling him how to use the proton pack. That really confirms for me that the remaining OGs will be suiting up in the finale. Forgive me for being a broken record on this, but this gets me real excited. I know that the controls on the Proton Packs probably haven’t changed from the ones they used in the original films, but if I had to hazard a guess by the way Bill sounds when he is showing the guy how to turn the lights on and stuff, I get the feeling that Bill has been playing with the Proton Packs recently. The thought of that really gives me goosebumps. ;)

I am with quite a few people here, I think we are in for a real treat in July. :):):)
Wafflerobot, Sav C liked this
When Bill Murray says, "it's gonna work," I believe him... Although I was a little bummed when Breznican said the original actors "all dropped by the Calgary set of Afterlife over the span of a week to shoot their parts." If they only shot for a week, I doubt they'll have very much screen time. I'm sure it will be quality screen time, but I was hoping for more quantity, too.
Sav C liked this
Keep in mind that Ian McKellen shot all of his scenes for X2 in the span of a week and a half. The OGBs can shoot enough in a week's time to have enough presence throughout the movie, but I wouldn't expect them to come into play before the second half of the movie anyway.

I think they're gonna be in it as much as is called for by Jason's script--I don't think it'll feel skimpy. What they have will be great, and central to the plot. The trailer makes quite clear that the legacy of those characters is what the bulk of the plot is built around, so no matter how much they're on screen, their presence will be felt.
-Prop master is Ben Eadie. Check.

-A set visit to a soundstage in Canada last September just days before Bill Murray's birthday. So before September 21.

-Murray noted, "The script is good. It's got lots of emotion in it. It's got lots of family in it, with through lines that are really interesting."

-Proton Pack prop in article was 30-pound heavy-duty version used for close-ups. It is loaded with batteries and rumble motors to make the blasters shudder and jolt in the hands of the user.

-Murray confirmed the narrative deals with the absence of Egon Spengler.

-The new story advances the message that anyone can be a Ghostbuster.

-Reitman notes he's making this movie for his father.

-It's the idea of what it would be like to find a Proton Pack in your grandparents' basement and what would that discovery reveals about who you are and what adventures you're about to go on.

-Callie is described as a a "tough mom."

-Murray agreed to read the script in Spring 2019.

-Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson, Potts, and Weaver visited the set during that span of a week to film their scenes. Corroborates that seen dining articles/social media posts.

-Still of Logan Kim and Mckenna Grace's characters testing equipment like in international trailer

-Jason Reitman directing Grace during the chase scene filming. Finn photobombing.

-Mr. Grooberson inspecting a map of Summervillie with Callie in the kitchen. Looks like Egon was keeping tabs, too. Just about what I guessed the kitchen would look like, lol.

Great article. But overall, I'm feeling that new article fever!
mrmichaelt wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:31 pm -Prop master is Ben Eadie. Check.

-A set visit to a soundstage in Canada last September just days before Bill Murray's birthday. So before September 21.

-Murray noted, "The script is good. It's got lots of emotion in it. It's got lots of family in it, with through lines that are really interesting."

-Proton Pack prop in article was 30-pound heavy-duty version used for close-ups. It is loaded with batteries and rumble motors to make the blasters shudder and jolt in the hands of the user.

-Reitman notes he's making this movie for his father.

-It's the idea of what it would be like to find a Proton Pack in your grandparents' basement and what would that discovery reveals about who you are and what adventures you're about to go on.

-Callie is described as a a "tough mom."

-Murray agreed to read the script in Spring 2019.

-Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson, Potts, and Weaver visited the set during that span of a week to film their scenes. Corroborates that seen dining articles/social media posts.

-Still of Logan Kim and Mckenna Grace's characters testing equipment like in international trailer

-Jason Reitman directing Grace during the chase scene filming. Finn photobombing.

-Mr. Grooberson inspecting a map of Summervillie with Callie in the kitchen. Looks like Egon was keeping tabs, too. Just about what I guessed the kitchen would look like, lol.

Great article. But overall, I'm feeling that new article fever!
Sounds like things are shaping up to be good. As for these two points:

First point: No surprise; this movie will pretty much be a proper sendoff to the character.

Second point: This is a great way to pass on the torch to future generations.

Can't wait. ^_^
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
Just reread the article and noticed it confirms those are Egon's glasses:

"Reitman doesn’t want to explicitly confirm the new characters’ ties to the original story, but fans have noticed the uncanny resemblance between cockatoo-haired Phoebe and a certain stoic scientist whose spectacles she discovers in the home amid some dusty old jumpsuits, one of them bearing the name Spengler."
Sav C liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: January 24th, 2020, 7:56 am
Michael Scott wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:07 pm But she has her glasses before they move in, right? It just says she finds them, not that she uses them as her own.
I mean, the only glasses we see are the ones she's wearing, but the article explicitly says she finds them near the jumpsuits. Very confusing.
Both could very well be true. Could be the glasses she's seen wearing are hers and at some point in the movie finds Egon's.
groschopf wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 6:45 amVoila. Flashback scene without having to digitally de-age anyone and suggests a deep connection for the character.
It's not a bad concept, but I don't think a studio would pull the "conveniently out of shot" approach anymore, not now that Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, The Rise of Skywalker and Gemini Man have successfully de-aged their cast members. If we see an actual flashback back to 1980s New York, we likely are going to see de-aged versions of the actors (though likely body doubles with heads placed on top of them, like young Kurt Russell in Guardians' 2).
Dr.D wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:45 amPretty big words from the dude who was vehemently (for good reason) against another movie for decades.
Though also tempered by the fact he might be more agreeable from the fact he's only filming a small part for Afterlife, like Answer The Call.
deadderek wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:55 am In the pic I posted...anyone else notice the 2 dogs? One on the chair and one on the far left...1
Could be a little visual nod. Could be random pair of bookends that occupy the house:

Alphagaia wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:35 am They recreated the house for special effects and Bill has a scene there?
The house and car may be unrelated to Bill's scene, they may have a small selection of setups on a blue-screen stage, with the one featuring Bill being amongst the collection there.
pizzarat wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:00 pmIf that's where Egon was accidentally killed, does that mean Ray has already been there?
Assuming he was accidentally killed by anything.

I think some folks here are still investing too much good faith into a supposed link/speculative theory that's holding less and less water with every update. There's a strong chance Egon could've died from poor health/advancing age in the midst of whatever he was investigating. The forgiveness aspect might simply come from a falling out between the Ghostbusters which led to his estrangement from them, and his family.
Paco wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:24 pm anyone catch what carrie coon's holding in her hands? looks like the gray meter thing Egon was holding during the first battle with Gozer.
Light grey, a metal clip on the base and a thin black line part-way up the casing, I think you're spot on that it's a Radiacmeter.

If so, that's another nice little visual reference.
groschopf liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 24th, 2020, 10:13 am I think some folks here are still investing too much good faith into a supposed link/speculative theory that's holding less and less water with every update. There's a strong chance Egon could've died from poor health/advancing age in the midst of whatever he was investigating.

Good point. Egon was a scientist playing with experimental nuclear technology. He could have gone full Marie Curie for all we know.

The forgiveness aspect might just echo Bill's real life experience with Harold -- having a rift preventing them from talking for years, only to mend that divide after an unfortunate turn in health.
Kingpin, *NormalGamer* liked this
Stay Puft Marshmallows are back!
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2020/01/24 ... -this-may/

EDIT: looks like Ghostbusters News has taken down their post...
Last edited by Prime 1986 on January 24th, 2020, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davideverona liked this
groschopf wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:00 am
Kingpin wrote: January 24th, 2020, 10:13 am I think some folks here are still investing too much good faith into a supposed link/speculative theory that's holding less and less water with every update. There's a strong chance Egon could've died from poor health/advancing age in the midst of whatever he was investigating.

Good point. Egon was a scientist playing with experimental nuclear technology. He could have gone full Marie Curie for all we know.

The forgiveness aspect might just echo Bill's real life experience with Harold -- having a rift preventing them from talking for years, only to mend that divide after an unfortunate turn in health.
Why would Egon be doing this investigating by himself though? Did he really build that elaborate HQ by himself? Your guess is as good as mine, but the "leak" serves as a template for something instead of randomly guessing. We already know from the same people what their thoughts on it are, but to be honest, y'all don't know either.
pizzarat wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:37 am Why would Egon be doing this investigating by himself though? Did he really build that elaborate HQ by himself? Your guess is as good as mine, but the "leak" serves as a template for something instead of randomly guessing. We already know from the same people what their thoughts on it are, but to be honest, y'all don't know either.
... I didn't say anything about him investigating by himself or building an underground lair by himself. I just suggested that cause of death could have been an occupational hazard.

That'll probably be too mundane for a film -- few people enjoy movies about OSHA-related issues -- but it's a possibility.

I find it curious that you're immediately skeptical of obvious speculation on a fan message board, but credulous when some anonymous user on Reddit claims to have a leaked script.
twmedford23, Kingpin liked this
groschopf wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:00 am

I have been bugged by this too. What on Earth could he have done to find himself so estranged from everyone?

He had a real bond with the guys, if he had a family, then he was obviously bonded to them as well.

All I could think of is that Egon must have totally pushed everyone away. Made them leave, which kinda implies that he went loco at the end.

That's very sad to me.
groschopf wrote:
pizzarat wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:37 am Why would Egon be doing this investigating by himself though? Did he really build that elaborate HQ by himself? Your guess is as good as mine, but the "leak" serves as a template for something instead of randomly guessing. We already know from the same people what their thoughts on it are, but to be honest, y'all don't know either.
... I didn't say anything about him investigating by himself or building an underground lair by himself. I just suggested that cause of death could have been an occupational hazard.

That'll probably be too mundane for a film -- few people enjoy movies about OSHA-related issues -- but it's a possibility.

I find it curious that you're immediately skeptical of obvious speculation on a fan message board, but credulous when some anonymous user on Reddit claims to have a leaked script.
If we assume the leak is untrue, and the Ghostbusters closed up shop 30 years ago, then we have to wonder how Egon would have afforded to build an underground lab. I know real estate is a lot less expensive in Oklahoma, but building an underground bunker can't be cheap. Also, why build an underground bunker to begin with? It implies he is trying to conceal what he's doing. Why? Did the government shut the Ghostbusters down, requiring Egon to continue his research in secret? If so, then did he build it himself? Seems like a major undertaking. And if he did have help, he'd have to be really careful about who to trust in helping him build it.

If we assume that the leak is true, then we know how Egon would afford to build the bunker - a national business presumably generates enough profit for a project like that. But it still raises the question as to why there is an underground bunker rather than in a more conspicuous location. Perhaps Egon didn't trust the locals - fearing they may be Gozer worshippers?

As for Egon's demise - one could easily imagine Egon accidentally killing himself working with all of this dangerous tech. But it's also possible that he died in a car accident, or came down with a fatal illness.

Then there's the element of forgiveness that is supposed to be in this film. The leak explains that, but it could also be something as simple as Egon went down to Oklahoma, and everyone else got too wrapped up in their own lives to stay in touch. Then one day they find out that Egon passed away and they never got to say their goodbyes, and have felt guilty about it. They learn to forgive themselves by assisting Egon's family.

I actually think the alleged plot leak has merit. The whole national franchise thing is the only thing that doesn't make sense. Perhaps it was an early idea that was discarded. Or maybe Ghostbusters was a national franchise for a short while, but grew too big, too fast, and ultimately went under. Now there are all these Ecto-Containment Units around the country, and there's nobody paying the massive electric bills. Or maybe the Government is demanding they be shut down.

We won't have to wait much longer to find out. Heck, even the toy fair next month could shed a lot of light on the plot of this film.
pizzarat, Wafflerobot liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:10 pm
groschopf wrote:

If we assume the leak is untrue, and the Ghostbusters closed up shop 30 years ago, then we have to wonder how Egon would have afforded to build an underground lab. I know real estate is a lot less expensive in Oklahoma, but building an underground bunker can't be cheap. Also, why build an underground bunker to begin with? It implies he is trying to conceal what he's doing. Why? Did the government shut the Ghostbusters down, requiring Egon to continue his research in secret? If so, then did he build it himself? Seems like a major undertaking. And if he did have help, he'd have to be really careful about who to trust in helping him build it.

If we assume that the leak is true, then we know how Egon would afford to build the bunker - a national business presumably generates enough profit for a project like that. But it still raises the question as to why there is an underground bunker rather than in a more conspicuous location. Perhaps Egon didn't trust the locals - fearing they may be Gozer worshippers?

As for Egon's demise - one could easily imagine Egon accidentally killing himself working with all of this dangerous tech. But it's also possible that he died in a car accident, or came down with a fatal illness.

Then there's the element of forgiveness that is supposed to be in this film. The leak explains that, but it could also be something as simple as Egon went down to Oklahoma, and everyone else got too wrapped up in their own lives to stay in touch. Then one day they find out that Egon passed away and they never got to say their goodbyes, and have felt guilty about it. They learn to forgive themselves by assisting Egon's family.

I actually think the alleged plot leak has merit. The whole national franchise thing is the only thing that doesn't make sense. Perhaps it was an early idea that was discarded. Or maybe Ghostbusters was a national franchise for a short while, but grew too big, too fast, and ultimately went under. Now there are all these Ecto-Containment Units around the country, and there's nobody paying the massive electric bills. Or maybe the Government is demanding they be shut down.

We won't have to wait much longer to find out. Heck, even the toy fair next month could shed a lot of light on the plot of this film.
Excellent post!

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]