Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Maybe there hasn't been a ghost sighting because the national franchise is too damn good?

As for the possibility of there being an under ground bunker it may have already been built before Ray or Egon bought the place.

I'm willing to bet there were a few paranoid farmers during the cold war somewhere.
Bison256 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:38 pm Maybe he didn't build the bunker, perhaps it was a old cold war fallout bunker that Egon retrofitted.
That would be quite appropriate given that the final draft of the first film was written in Aykroyd’s bomb shelter in his Martha’s Vineyard home.
pizzarat liked this
I won't rehash my previous points re: whether or not this movie is going to be successful beyond reminding people that Ghostbusters (2016) was front-loaded at the box office, which is a sign that movie's numbers were fan-driven -- the die-hards go immediately, the casual viewers come later. I think Sony is smartly aiming for the same numbers as that movie, just on a budget that would make it affordable, plus greasing the wheels with talent like Wolfhard and Rudd that have bigger popularity with younger-skewing audiences.
robbritton, Sav C liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:28 am I won't rehash my previous points re: whether or not this movie is going to be successful beyond reminding people that Ghostbusters (2016) was front-loaded at the box office, which is a sign that movie's numbers were fan-driven -- the die-hards go immediately, the casual viewers come later. I think Sony is smartly aiming for the same numbers as that movie, just on a budget that would make it affordable, plus greasing the wheels with talent like Wolfhard and Rudd that have bigger popularity with younger-skewing audiences.
Honestly if the movie is good word of mouth means it will do fine. The 2016 flim's trailer looked bad and word of mouth on YouTube after it came out wasn't any better. I don't think the professional critic have much influence anymore. People don't trust them much.
The only way I see the OGs putting on the suits again would be because they're going into an underground mine shaft/tunnel and there weren't any other options. Could make for a funny Bill Murray moment.
The question being will the uniforms be the moth eaten flight suits in the bunker/shelter or will Bill make a run to the military surplus and pick up new suits?
It would be a fun scene to see them putting everything together.
Which I really would have liked the scene of Patty picking up the ATC uniforms kept in the final version. Mind you I wasn't a fan of the striped uniforms but I did like that particular scene.
timeware wrote:The question being will the uniforms be the moth eaten flight suits in the bunker/shelter or will Bill make a run to the military surplus and pick up new suits?
It would be a fun scene to see them putting everything together.
Which I really would have liked the scene of Patty picking up the ATC uniforms kept in the final version. Mind you I wasn't a fan of the striped uniforms but I did like that particular scene.
I don't think the uniforms look in that bad a shape. I think the only thing tnat would make sense IF they suited up would be to grab the uniforms and equipment in the lab hop in the Ecto 1 and head into the mine. That is what I am invisioning I won't be disappointed if it doesn't play out that way. I am really confident in what Jason Reitman are pulling off. The inspiration is coming from a very good place and I am really looking forward to seeing how the OGs, Segorney Weaver and Annie Potts get worked in. Were getting closer and closer. :):):)
The mineshaft would make more sense to wear em.

[Ray:] its gonna be dirty down there.
*cast looks at the open closet*
*camera zooms in on the uniforms*
*GB theme starts*
[Peter:] No. [Music stops]
deadderek liked this
The only reason I think that we will see Aykroyd, Hudson and Murray suit up is because in interviews Ivan Rietman has said the first time he saw Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis fully geared up and running down the street towards the camera it have him a great feeling that they were making something special.
I think Jason Rietman will put a suit up "hero shoot" in just for his Dad.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:38 am If they are gonna go down into the mine shaft wouldn't you figure they would do a call back to GB2 when they tried to decide who was gonna go under the streets to look for the river of slime?
They were wearing rain gear weren't they? Like they expected to get wet.
Next round of speculation:

Are the four proton packs already there at the underground lab, or do the OGB show up with three? The four hanging jumpsuits make me personally think they're the collective team's, but who knows now! And how will everyone be able to assemble so quickly if presumably GB is out-of-business, and no one knows about the HQ in the middle of nowhere?
pizzarat wrote: January 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm Next round of speculation:

Are the four proton packs already there at the underground lab, or do the OGB show up with three? The four hanging jumpsuits make me personally think they're the collective team's, but who knows now! And how will everyone be able to assemble so quickly if presumably GB is out-of-business, and no one knows about the HQ in the middle of nowhere?
I'm assuming the packs we see is all the OG gear. Ray not having SOME gear would be weird, but Winston and Peter wouldn't really have the skills or knowledge to repair or maintain the gear especially if there was some kind of falling out.

Do we know they don't know about it? There could be some kind of emergency beacon that goes off to alert the others if there's a significant spike of PKE...

or...

While a little less spectacular, maybe word gets out via a news report or a simple tweet from someone inside the town? I mean, it IS modern day so word would spread kinda fast unlike the early 80s to early 90s.
zeta otaku wrote: January 27th, 2020, 8:45 pm
pizzarat wrote: January 27th, 2020, 6:57 pm Next round of speculation:

I'm assuming the packs we see is all the OG gear. Ray not having SOME gear would be weird, but Winston and Peter wouldn't really have the skills or knowledge to repair or maintain the gear especially if there was some kind of falling out.

Do we know they don't know about it? There could be some kind of emergency beacon that goes off to alert the others if there's a significant spike of PKE...

or...

While a little less spectacular, maybe word gets out via a news report or a simple tweet from someone inside the town? I mean, it IS modern day so word would spread kinda fast unlike the early 80s to early 90s.
Is there more than one pack visible during the trailer? I only remember seeing the one on the table, and, of course, the mounted one in Wreckto.
BRD 527 wrote: January 27th, 2020, 9:28 pm
pizzarat wrote: January 27th, 2020, 9:23 pm Is there more than one pack visible during the trailer? I only remember seeing the one on the table, and, of course, the mounted one in Wreckto.
Nope...

Initially I counted 2 the gunner seat proton pack and the one in pieces on the table. In the international trailer She is seen firing the gunner seat one and at the end she is firing one that she is wearing. Now the one on the table and the one she test fires could be the same one like she managed to put it back together. Which is totally possible, but what if she found the functioning one behind the jump suits. If it is a different pack that would bring the number of packs seen to 3. If you look at the pack the interviewer was wearing in the variety article the pack looked different than the one she was test firing. With the handle looking like it was wrapped with tape or something. If that is a different pack that brings the total number of packs seen at different times to 4. That is of course if they are all different Proton Packs. So looking forward to finding out. :):):)
I'm cautiously optimistic. From what we've seen of the trailers it isn't the story I expected or imagined. And at first I didn't think it was the story I wanted, but now I'm thinking maybe it's just the story I didn't know I wanted. At first I wanted lots of involvement of the original cast but as I think about it... if part of the appeal of Ghostbusters is that any schlub can be a Ghostbuster, then why do I need the originals? I think I'd enjoy the performance of people who are enthusiastic and devoted to the material over ones who have disdain for it or are just tired.

If they can do a fun and creative story with totally new people then I'll enjoy it. If they can work in lots of stuff from the original and make it work and contribute to a good plot instead of "well we gotta have X because it's Ghostbusters / the fans want to see this deedliebop from the second movie", then all the better.

I don't want this series to fall into some of the other restrictive boxes that other franchises have that just ties their hands and saps all of the creativity out of them. You can't have Indiana Jones without the hat and whip (Or Ford). You can't have Terminator without Schwarzenegger. You can't have Star Wars without the Millenium Falcon or R2D2. You can't do an Alien movie without sticking close to the original Alien design. I think we've seen in comics and cartoons that we can have the Ghostbusters without or minimizing the original cast and still have it be an enjoyable and entertaining story.
BatDan, tylergfoster liked this
I dunno, im remaining cautiously optimistic too. I mean the concept works in the comics/cartoons, but the movies are a different animal and are birthed and soaked from the Second City/National Lampoon families.

To me its like doing Stripes : New Platoon or Animal House: the next class..similar to your point about Indiana Jones and Terminator without Ford or Arnold.. with GB and the other classics from that time, its those comedic actors and writers working together within the concept that brought the charm to that original run of films.

Not to say im not excited for the new film, i think it looks great, and i cant wait to see how it progresses. Just sayin for the sake of counter discussion.
seekandannoy liked this
All I've been wanting is closure with these characters, I wasn't expecting a big "back in business" plot. Just closure incase the studio decides to do another reboot or sequel to ATC. I'll be satisfied with this.
seekandannoy, back liked this
There's little doubt in my mind that this film is intended to serve 2 purposes:

1) Provide some closure to the fans of the original 2 films. What happened to the original Ghostbusters, Janine and Dana (and even Oscar and Louis). Where are they now? What happened to the business of ghostbusting?

2) Set up potential future projects by introducing a younger cast. This is where the fans and Sony's interests align, albeit for different reasons. As fans, we want to see more ghostbusting adventures. For Sony, it's all about making money. Ghostbusters is a well known IP, but Sony has largely mismanaged it. If GB:A does well, then they could create a new cartoon and future films. We get new adventures, and Sony would rake in some money. In my opinion, they really need a new cartoon to take off, similar to RGB. The toys and other merchandise is where Sony could really make their money. The good thing about the cartoon is that there are far less limitations. The universe can be really expanded upon and they can incorporate the original ghostbusters as much or as little as they want.

Years ago, someone named Burning Knight Raven had an idea for a cartoon called Real Ghostbusters: Super. The idea was that after the events of battling Gozer, the RGBs retained certain supernatural abilities of their own. I tried searching for a link to his artwork, but the page is from the early 2000s, and it seems, erased. There is a reference to it on Spook Central - so I know I wasn't imagining it!

EDIT: The Wayback Machine is a beautiful thing: http://web.archive.org/web/200006052228 ... perrgb.htm
JonXCTrack wrote: January 28th, 2020, 9:16 am There's little doubt in my mind that this film is intended to serve 2 purposes:

1) Provide some closure to the fans of the original 2 films. What happened to the original Ghostbusters, Janine and Dana (and even Oscar and Louis). Where are they now? What happened to the business of ghostbusting?

2) Set up potential future projects by introducing a younger cast. This is where the fans and Sony's interests align, albeit for different reasons. As fans, we want to see more ghostbusting adventures. For Sony, it's all about making money. Ghostbusters is a well known IP, but Sony has largely mismanaged it. If GB:A does well, then they could create a new cartoon and future films. We get new adventures, and Sony would rake in some money. In my opinion, they really need a new cartoon to take off, similar to RGB. The toys and other merchandise is where Sony could really make their money. The good thing about the cartoon is that there are far less limitations. The universe can be really expanded upon and they can incorporate the original ghostbusters as much or as little as they want.

Years ago, someone named Burning Knight Raven had an idea for a cartoon called Real Ghostbusters: Super. The idea was that after the events of battling Gozer, the RGBs retained certain supernatural abilities of their own. I tried searching for a link to his artwork, but the page is from the early 2000s, and it seems, erased. There is a reference to it on Spook Central - so I know I wasn't imagining it!

EDIT: The Wayback Machine is a beautiful thing: http://web.archive.org/web/200006052228 ... perrgb.htm
I agree with you on those first two points, but man is that GB Super thing a bad idea lol.
JonXCTrack wrote: January 28th, 2020, 9:16 am There's little doubt in my mind that this film is intended to serve 2 purposes:

Oh I remember that concept back in the early days of following a potential GB3 LOL!. Cool concept and the fun thing is after ATC Ghost Corps had already started pitching the Ecto Force cartoon. What’s even funnier is that several networks were already in a bidding war to have the series air are their respective channels. Then at the last minute it was Ghost Corps that pulled out in favor of the animated film being the jumping off point for the animated series. However I think plans changed when Jason showed his script to his father and Sony Studios. I think they were trying to recreate the formula that made The Real Ghostbusters a success. Have a cartoon follow a great movie. It is amazing RGB did so well considering it came out 2 years after the movie. Luckily the film had already had lasting appeal and the great writing of RGB helped it take off. I think Afterlife may have been the script w that solidified it being the new jumping off point for future projects. That is just how I view it though. Could be thinking too much into it. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on January 28th, 2020, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote text
RichRyan1507 liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: January 27th, 2020, 12:47 am The only reason I think that we will see Aykroyd, Hudson and Murray suit up is because in interviews Ivan Rietman has said the first time he saw Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis fully geared up and running down the street towards the camera it have him a great feeling that they were making something special.

Woah, when did he say that? Do you have a source? If he mentioned Murray fully geared up, why are all those articles just coming out now that he's confirmed?
Corey91 wrote: January 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm
Hairy Biker wrote: January 27th, 2020, 12:47 am The only reason I think that we will see Aykroyd, Hudson and Murray suit up is because in interviews Ivan Rietman has said the first time he saw Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis fully geared up and running down the street towards the camera it have him a great feeling that they were making something special.

Woah, when did he say that? Do you have a source? If he mentioned Murray fully geared up, why are all those articles just coming out now that he's confirmed?
I'm sure he's said it plenty of times in the last 35 years :mrgreen:
BatDan liked this
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he […]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]