Thanks for the pic Cole!

I have a 3D scan of the goggle frames, may have them reproduced along with the lenses. :-P

(Made an imperfect loop to annoy people with OCD. :sigh: )
AJ Quick wrote: January 24th, 2020, 4:09 pm I wish I knew what those collars were, though!
Me, too. I wonder whether the original prop exists anywhere that would shed light on that detail. If not, a good, high-rez publicity photo that shows that detail.

I did the best forensic analysis I could for my build, as detailed in my thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43597

The Ecto Goggles used in that closeup going into the ballroom are definitely configured differently than the one Ray's wearing in almost all of the other scenes.

On another note, the Portland Ghostbusters made an appearance at the Oregon Symphony last Sunday when they performed the score live to the movie (conducted by Peter Bernstein, Elmer's son and one of the original orchestrators). We took photos with many delighted patrons and got tickets to the performance. Very fun to see it with a big crowd again. I noticed during the busting montage (for the first time) that both Venkman and Egon wear the goggles at some point. I always thought it was the exclusive tool of Ray.
I have seen the same things you identified and it makes me wonder if the ridged ring on the right lens is even there?

I don't think anyone has found a version that did not have that ring, and yet it doesn't appear in any of the screen caps very clearly either. Maybe they cut it off? Did you find with your photo overlay method that the lenses are shorter than the measurements listed on the earlier pages?

Fantastic build by the way. I surely thought I was looking at the real deal when I first saw those pictures!
I may have answered my own question, and that is that the ring portion of the right lens is there!

So I checked with your 3D files that you had posted and found the height of yours was basically exactly correct and the lenses ring, would have been there and fit inside the overall larger diameter mounting ring that is there.

I drew this up from a photo you uploaded in your build thread:

I believe the lens is there in full, it is just embedded whatever that overall collar was. Could they have been rubber?
Here are some 4K caps of the Ecto Goggles. One thing I noticed while paying heavy attention. The frames are not your typical AN/PVS-5 that you often see. In particular the IR on/off switch is located very close to the edge of the front of the frames.

It becomes very apparent that the Goggles got damaged during filming. In all likelihood, they did not survive the filming. If you think chronologically, the goggles were made and then filmed in NY first. So the only scenes where we see the Ecto Goggles fully intact are at the very end of the movie and during the montage.

If you look during the Sedgewick scenes you can see part of the Ecto Goggles have broken off. The IR emitter knob is gone and around the area of the IR emitter knob there is a big crack. I'm sure the location of the IR emitter knob made it very prone to cracking in that spot, which is why it was moved further in on frames that were produced later. It should be no surprise that the Ecto Goggles were damaged, there are several scenes (the roof top battle for example) where you can see that they got smashed and sat on by Dan Aykroyd or his stunt double.

Here they are at the end of the film, completely intact:

Here is the damage:

Scenes from the Sedgewick:

Great photo of the underside. Notice the IR emitter on/off switch location and the strap on the battery compartment is missing.

Location of IR switch on newer frames:

It is hard to tell, but it is possible that IR switch is also different on the Ecto Goggles.
This document from 1982 discusses the modifications to the AN/PVS goggles, including the changes to move the rotary switch (IR switch).

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a121151.pdf

I wish the photos were not poor photocopies.
It is certainly possible, though I imagine those may be quite flimsy. I don't have one of those caps myself, but it appears they are about 54mm diameter, which may not be large enough. I think the current estimation is an OD of 57mm for those collars.
What drives me crazy is I know there's got to be a file folder somewhere at Sony that probably has documentation or at least photos from Boss films that show the missing details clear as day lol At least I'd like to think that....but it was the 80's, it could have just been "Hey here they are, we just winged it" lol
DUDE YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!! I knew they HAD to be some sort of adapter ring and had the knurls on them.

But also still troubling to me is that this photo makes it pretty clear that the larger knurled part of the base on my right eye lens is not there on the movie ones.... and I haven't seen photos of a Laborec right eye lens that doesn't have that machined in.....hmmm

Part in red....clearly not there
You guys are all infinitely more knowledgable on this stuff, but any chance the lens isn't mounted to the exterior plate, but the interior plate? If the exterior plate just has a hole that the lens sticks through, a good portion of the knurled ring would be hidden from view? Does that make any sense whatsoever?
Apologize for the crude faceplate but I just cut some thin cardboard about 1/8" thick to see what they would look like mounted from the inside. This is what that looks likes:

It makes the lenses look too short in my opinion, plus you'd have to add the different external adapter rings that are shown in d_osbon's photos. I don't know... what do you guys think? I think we are going to find the proton pack bumper label before we figure this one out lol
Glenn Frederick liked this
I'm really starting to believe that the "right lens" adapter that comes with the Laborec camera isn't the correct piece used on the actual prop but a close enough variant.

This reminds me of Egon's Stethoscope. For the longest time it was believed to have been a set of stereo Headphones that was part of the "Intimate Stereo portable cassette player" but a couple of years back while I was searching for a close enough set for Egon's GB2 Stethoscope I came across the NOVA brand headphones which was made by Infinity (same maker of the "Intimate Stereo portable cassette player" ) and the NOVA brand are not only identical to the previous ones but they're Silver to begin with. plus the collapsible headband version explains why the top of the band looks to be broken and taped (which it wasn't, it's the hinge to fold them).

I'm thinking the camera Company made different adapters to be used on multiple cameras and their Laborec Camera just happened to be packed with a accessory that was made exactly like a previous model except the "packed with camera version" knurling is on the base because it wasn't meant to be used on other cameras.

One thing I remember when I looking for the "left side" adapter was that the company had a Patent on the design of how the adapter attaches with the metal band on the inside by the thumb screw.
d_osborn wrote: March 12th, 2020, 1:19 pm You guys are all infinitely more knowledgable on this stuff, but any chance the lens isn't mounted to the exterior plate, but the interior plate? If the exterior plate just has a hole that the lens sticks through, a good portion of the knurled ring would be hidden from view? Does that make any sense whatsoever?

I tried to photo match Lowberg's right lens to the high res photo d_osborn linked that tries to show what an "interior" mount would look like (I only know how to use Sketchup's match function so someone else may be way better):
Here it is with just the plate and lens:
You can see from the green part that if it was mounted to a 0.125" thick plate, then the adapter is roughly 0.4" too short. Not sure this helps at all but it sort of looks like it's a different adapter than Lowberg's.
Glenn Frederick liked this
Cole Funstuff wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:32 am

I tried to photo match Lowberg's right lens to the high res photo d_osborn linked that tries to show what an "interior" mount would look like (I only know how to use Sketchup's match function so someone else may be way better):

You can see from the green part that if it was mounted to a 0.125" thick plate, then the adapter is roughly 0.4" too short. Not sure this helps at all but it sort of looks like it's a different adapter than Lowberg's.
Great work, man! I love seeing this sort of research.

Glenn mentioned Egon's stethoscope. I have some FANTASTIC reference photos of that prop I need to post. I'll try to get that up in a few days.
Do these dimensions line up with what we know, approximately?

External diameter 42 mm
Flange 55 mm

The T-mount was also popular in Japan, where these lenses were without a doubt made.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]