Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Hairy Biker wrote: February 12th, 2020, 3:59 pm It was new news to me.
Yeah, really. This was only officially announced today.

With that said, I never really liked those "Shrunk" movies. Out of all the characters that Rick has chosen to come back for, I'm most indifferent about about that one. He was going to be in the Strange Brew sequel Home Brew until the funding disappeared. Dan Aykroyd was going to co-star too.

I can understand feeling disrespected by cameo offers, but I think a wide majority of fans really appreciate his character in the first two movies. I also remember Aykroyd stating that he really wanted Moranis back for the third movie that was being developed before Ramis died.

So, I wonder if we'll get any official word on whether the GB:A producers tried or not. If such a script that even lured Bill Murray back wasn't enough, then nothing would've been.
I think it all boils down to the fact that Moranis, as is his right, was unhappy with any role that wasn't substantial. Given what we know about this movie, he wasn't gonna get that. And if the supposed plot of the new Shrunk movie is for real, I can see why Moranis would rather participate in a project that is much more personal to him.
Yeah, he would never get a leading role in GB:A, so I think the same answer applies when he was asked about an ATC cameo:

He is picky, and it just doesn't make sense for him to do a small cameo.

Don't forget this guy did a lot of movies, and HISTK is one of his most successful ones. Add to that the story hitting so close to home, and Disney wanting him for themselves.
groschopf, Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm Old news, I'm afraid.
It was actually only broken officially yesterday. It had been rumored at some questionable sites but yesterday the official trades like Variety and whatnot ran it. Unless you just mean that he's not in Afterlife.
pizzarat wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:41 pm I can understand feeling disrespected by cameo offers, but I think a wide majority of fans really appreciate his character in the first two movies.
Based on this THR quote, it didn't have anything to do with the quality of the cameo, or the idea of cameoing being disrespectful. It just means that Rick has to go to a bunch of offices and negotiate whatever and then get on a plane and fly out somewhere and then endure the molasses pace of most film sets all so he can be in the movie for a minute. Reads as more to do with wanting something substantial that helps him exercise his craft more than anything else. No doubt he knows we love him.
Alphagaia, robbritton, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: February 12th, 2020, 9:47 am Boy will our faces be red when Spenglers suit is gonna walk around on its own.
groschopf liked this
lozbloke wrote: February 14th, 2020, 4:31 pm As someone who is about to turn 42, whose childhood was driven by Ghostbusters, I can't wait to see what Jason has in store. I enjoyed 2016 but it was a different take .
Im soooo looking forward to a new story in the original timeline
Def! I remember the range of emotions I had in the late 90s when it seemed like it was finally going to happen, and then it was snatched away. That was almost traumatic. When I was five I owned both movies on VHS and I wanted more to the point of analyzing every frame of the Ghostbusters II end credits.

In my head I keep thinking about the transition from that apex at the end credits of GBII to the very first frame of Afterlife. That's a lot of weighty and important history in between January, 1990 and 2020.
pizzarat wrote: February 14th, 2020, 5:24 pm
lozbloke wrote: February 14th, 2020, 4:31 pm As someone who is about to turn 42, whose childhood was driven by Ghostbusters, I can't wait to see what Jason has in store. I enjoyed 2016 but it was a different take .
Im soooo looking forward to a new story in the original timeline
Def! I remember the range of emotions I had in the late 90s when it seemed like it was finally going to happen, and then it was snatched away. That was almost traumatic. When I was five I owned both movies on VHS and I wanted more to the point of analyzing every frame of the Ghostbusters II end credits.

In my head I keep thinking about the transition from that apex at the end credits of GBII to the very first frame of Afterlife. That's a lot of weighty and important history in between January, 1990 and 2020.
I had a VCR in my room as a kid and GB2 on VHS and would literally watch it every night while I was going to sleep. There is honestly no telling how many times I've seen it. I was 7 when it came out and remember it like it was yesterday when I was gonna get to go watch it and we were going with my mom and dad's friends and the guy got sick and they cancelled and I was absolutely DEVASTATED! LOL!
pizzarat, Wafflerobot liked this
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm
pizzarat wrote: February 14th, 2020, 5:24 pm

I had a VCR in my room as a kid and GB2 on VHS and would literally watch it every night while I was going to sleep. There is honestly no telling how many times I've seen it. I was 7 when it came out and remember it like it was yesterday when I was gonna get to go watch it and we were going with my mom and dad's friends and the guy got sick and they cancelled and I was absolutely DEVASTATED! LOL!
My only regret about Fan Fest is not asking Ivan Reitman about the Slimer theatrical ending of GBII when he was sitting right next to me at the brunch. My first introduction to the awesome bevy of deleted scenes from that movie was the absurd "giant" coloring book. I know I still have that somewhere.
tylergfoster liked this
That ending didn't happen, just people remembering wrong.
twmedford23, BRD 527 liked this
deadderek wrote: February 14th, 2020, 10:20 pm That ending didn't happen, just people remembering wrong.
Yep, it's 2020 and we're still at this junction. It's still one of the more fun 'urban legends' of the movies.

(for the uninitiated: We only know it was in the Nov 88 and Feb 89 drafts ad storyboarded. The storyboard was among the late Michael Gross's collection. If we're to go by the storyboard, no work beyond that was done. No details in the blanks were filled in. It appears to be the only part of that deleted scene that wasn't filmed/plated etc.
https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral ... eted21.htm

Alternately, I think it was at least the Naha book where the ending was Slimer dropping Louis off after Vigo is defeated. Louis agreed to hang out with Slimer - get something to eat and do some bowling.)

Will Slimer be in Afterlife? I think he's at that point in his career where he only does commercials. :P
robbritton, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
pizzarat wrote: February 15th, 2020, 4:44 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:54 pm Yep, it's 2020 and we're still at this junction. It's still one of the more fun 'urban legends' of the movies.

(for the uninitiated: We only know it was in the Nov 88 and Feb 89 drafts ad storyboarded. The storyboard was among the late Michael Gross's collection. If we're to go by the storyboard, no work beyond that was done. No details in the blanks were filled in. It appears to be the only part of that deleted scene that wasn't filmed/plated etc.
https://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral ... eted21.htm

Alternately, I think it was at least the Naha book where the ending was Slimer dropping Louis off after Vigo is defeated. Louis agreed to hang out with Slimer - get something to eat and do some bowling.)

Will Slimer be in Afterlife? I think he's at that point in his career where he only does commercials. :P
If you're going to cite Spook Central, it might be worth noting that Paul claims to have seen the Slimer ending. Ditto for Proton Charging.
We are a week away from New York Toy Fair and the first reveal of the Hasbro Ghostbusters line.

Do y’all think we will see any toys from Afterlife, or more along the lines of the movie characters from the 80’s or Kenner RGB style figures?

I’m leaning toward not expecting to see anything from Afterlife this early.
deadderek, SpaceBallz liked this
Michael Scott wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:35 pm We are a week away from New York Toy Fair and the first reveal of the Hasbro Ghostbusters line.

Do y’all think we will see any toys from Afterlife, or more along the lines of the movie characters from the 80’s or Kenner RGB style figures?

I’m leaning toward not expecting to see anything from Afterlife this early.
Oh we'll definately be seeing Afterlife toys.
Yeah, Toy Fair in 2016 was February 13 to 16 and the first toy news came the day before the 12th - an article on the Funko line then on the 14th there were photos/articles about Mattel's line of figures. We should start seeing something by the 21st either on social media or articles.
deadderek wrote: February 15th, 2020, 11:24 pm This year is gonna drain the ole bank account like crazy.
O yes, I'll definitely get my kid some toys.

No Tobin, you can only look at them from behind this glass. Daddy is keeping it safe for you in his office.

Play your cards right and you might inherited them.
timeware wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:48 am I was thinking the ATC merch was going to eat my wallet. Looks like we're definitely getting more products this time!

Should we have seen Lego products so far or is it still to early? Cheaper Fire House please!
Can you believe I got mine absolutely free? A friend of my wife worked for Lego UK and she gave me the Lego firehouse for my birthday. The thing was out of the box, but packed in big plastic bags (and a manual, thank god). Took me days to sort out all the pieces.

She got it because it was sent to customer service cause it missed a few pieces (which I could backorder through her. She took it all in her bag on an airplane when she visited the Netherlands for a week and if it wasn't for my wife I would have married her on the spot.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
Alphagaia wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:32 am Can you believe I got mine absolutely free? A friend of my wife worked for Lego UK and she gave me the Lego firehouse for my birthday. The thing was out of the box, but packed in big plastic bags (and a manual, thank god). Took me days to sort out all the pieces.

She got it because it was sent to customer service cause it missed a few pieces (which I could backorder through her. She took it all in her bag on an airplane when she visited the Netherlands for a week and if it wasn't for my wife I would have married her on the spot.
Lucky git. :)

LEGO's been clamping down on photos of upcoming sets in order to stop the Chinese knock-offs getting a head-start in copying them... If there are Ghostbusters sets at NYTF we may only get a limited description, if any are being made (it unfortunately hasn't been confirmed as more than a rumour yet).
Alphagaia liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]