By abritinthebay
Supporting Member
I know we know the side knobs (one being a dark green ham radio dial, etc) but the front seems to be pretty opaque.

I tried searching the forums but everyone seems to discuss the GB2 dials/knobs and not GB1 (likely due to us only having good photos of redressed GB2 props).

So... can anyone illuminate what the originals were? Are they known? Do we know decent close modern versions or reproductions?
By Kingpin
As far as I'm aware none of the side knobs on the trap are dark green, all of the dark ones are black.

Sadly we've never been able to identify the source of the original knobs beyond the skirted Raytheon, the gold resistor, and maybe the small round black knob on the side with the gold resistor on the GB1 Traps, and its silver replacement in GB2.

I believe the speculation is that the rectangular knobs on the front of the Trap are slider knobs, but the source is sadly unknown.
By Glenn Frederick
Supporting Member
Actually the front knobs were Identified in a build thread on here.

Both front knobs are ALCO brand and the silver one comes with different variations,
1/8 and 1/4 shafts and with the top already black like what's seen in the film.

The black knob with the silver ring, knurling was changed over the years but it's still being made but sadly nobody is selling them.

The Slider knobs are from a old lighting panel for stage lighting that is still being made today but hard to come by.
By abritinthebay
Supporting Member
As far as I'm aware none of the side knobs on the trap are dark green, all of the dark ones are black.
The GB1 side knob (as you call it "the small round black knob on the side with the gold resistor on the GB1 Traps") is a *super* dark green. It's a from a Heathkit HW SB Series Ham Radio. Comes with a skirt, but remove that and you have the exact side knob. It's hard to see the difference between the very dark green and black in most lighting (eBay photos always make it look SUPER green tho, go figure).
Actually the front knobs were Identified in a build thread on here.
For GB1?? I know the GB2 ones were identified... can you link the build thread? I couldn't find it in my searching on here (I did think it slightly strange I couldn't find that info here, seems like we've have got *close* by now)
By Glenn Frederick
Supporting Member
Here's the thread ps://www.gbfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3& ... &start=120

As far as the side knob being Black or Green Kingpin is correct.
The heathkit knobs that are all on Ebay that are listed as "Small" are too big and very dark green, the correct ones are Black, much smaller, fit a D-shaft and don't feature a set screw.
By abritinthebay
Supporting Member
Given that the correct ones have no clear photographs or references (and none exist on current traps) that's a rather... boldly assertive claim. The Heathkit ones I have match the Sedgwick scenes *perfectly* (perfect size, shape, etc). You can get a lot of different sizes of Heathkit knobs, there's a rather large range of sizes. Now if they are *not* the right ones I'd love to know what *is* because afaik no-one has an alternative (and most ppl seem to use resin copies of the Heathkit ones painted black anyhow).

However, that aside, thanks so much for that link. No wonder I couldn't find it, it being buried in the depths of a build thread...

For future searchers, here are the links:

KN500A 1/8" (GB1 silver front knob)
http://tedss.com/2051000117

KU4025B 1/8" (GB1 small round black front knob) - annoyingly often out of stock.
http://tedss.com/2051000154

MS91528-1T1B (Raytheon pointer knob)
http://tedss.com/2051000492

Skirt for Raytheon knob (search for (KNB) Z31)
http://www.surplussales.com/shafthardware/Knobs-10.html

The metal and round ones are *not* confirmed to be the actual knobs but they *are* basically as close as anyone has been able to find. The Raytheon knob comes in a lot of variants. This one has the white stripe (like most of the screen used traps seem to have had) and no skirt around the base.

The Square knobs seem unidentified (that build thread just uses resin models in the kit he used).

So it seems like, while the front knobs aren't exactly identified, we're close to good with 3/4 of them. Square still unknown/sourced as far as I can tell.
By Kingpin
While I can't speak for all knobs produced by Heathkit (or whoever supplied them to Heathkit), I did purchase a Heathkit device in the hope they were the right kind, and in person they came across as too big, potentially even twice the size as what appeared to be used on the Ghost Trap. They appeared to be identical in size to these purchased by Dan Skinner:

Which, when viewed with the source material, are far too big:

By abritinthebay
Supporting Member
Oh wow, that one is HUGE. Mine is the size of the one you're comparing it to. Unfortunately it's not like they have obvious part numbers and places just sell them as small/medium/etc. I picked up a lot that was several difference sizes and I guess I got lucky...?

But yeah, dang, I see why you'd say that if that's what you have as reference.

I saw some pics of the controlled trap, it did[…]

Ciao dall italia

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

Here is my collection

This came in today. It's on a french card. I wil[…]

Well, in France and Belgium, one of the most popul[…]