Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Kingpin wrote: March 29th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Timo wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:04 am The temple door may be from the book and the account may be not legit, but.
I appreciate the thought, but I don't think there's a "but" here. It's just like that other account showing photos supposedly of the Wrecto and equipment props.
No, I mean, this temple door won't be in the movie, but!
groschopf liked this
If I was a betting man, I'd bet the new trailer comes out this week or next. I have a strong...psychic...belief. What would you guys wanna see or not see in a new trailer?
Davideverona liked this
deadderek wrote: March 30th, 2020, 6:40 am If I was a betting man, I'd bet the new trailer comes out this week or next. I have a strong...psychic...belief. What would you guys wanna see or not see in a new trailer?
Trailer 2 of 3 was supposed to be out first half of next month, but we'll see. It's all different now.
deadderek, groschopf, Davideverona and 2 others liked this
I'm thorn on whether I'd like a reveal of the original Ghostbusters or not.

Maybe a scene like the Spengler jumpsuit's one. We can see that it's his jumpsuit but we don't know why it's there, at what moment in the movie it gets pulled out.... Heck, we don't even know for sure if they're Spengler's relatives or not.

So, maybe a glimpse in their civilian clothes. We all know they're in the movie and that way the mistery on their suiting up one last time will be preserved.

Ray standing next the Ecto 1, Winston picking up a trap, Peter looking around Egon's secret lab: "Ok, where's his Playboy's collection?"
I want a "chewie we're home" moment and some of the GB theme.

But, we'll probably get more character stuff with the youngins and maybe a few ghosts.
Or: they could give us a poster in April, wait late May, beginning of June for a second trailer, September for a final one and release it in October.

I think we'll see it in July. The curve is starting to flatten here in Italy and the government is predicting we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel by the end of April, with the essential activities reopening in May, followed by entertainment places in June.
Davideverona wrote:Or: they could give us a poster in April, wait late May, beginning of June for a second trailer, September for a final one and release it in October.

I think we'll see it in July. The curve is starting to flatten here in Italy and the government is predicting we'll see the light at the end of the tunnel by the end of April, with the essential activities reopening in May, followed by entertainment places in June.

The issue will be the numbers beginning to spike again.

If Sony times it right July might be a sweet spot across all territories that captures the market just as people come out of lockdown, however it is very likely we will all be back in lockdown multiple times over the next 12 months.

I think we'll see a new trailer in April while Sony assesses the situation. Streaming is a possibility but it would require some genius strategy to be as profitable as a theatrical release. If they postpone what then? Drop it in a crowded halloween market? Push it to 2021? Wait too long and it will lose momentum also.

I feel bad for Jason and the team it seems they had a really smart and controlled marketing campaign laid out for July.
Worst case scenario is we don't see this in theatres. Best case is digital release. I'm hoping we don't see multiple flare ups.

If we're lucky this thing is seasonal and we'll have more vaccines by the time winter comes or even better before that.

Like I said earlier my biggest concern is everyone wanting to gather and travel once the green lights been hit.

I'm not eager to rush in the theatre before the vaccines ready. As much as I want to.
Davideverona wrote: March 30th, 2020, 12:48 pm Or: they could give us a poster in April, wait late May, beginning of June for a second trailer, September for a final one and release it in October.

A new poster was already planned for April.
groschopf liked this
Glenn Frederick wrote: March 30th, 2020, 2:37 pm I might be in the minority on this but I would be willing to wait an entire year if it means a proper theatrical release.
Me too. It has been 30 years and personally, I've been waiting for this since somewhere mid 90s. There wasn't a single day without thinking about the possibility of a third one, I learned to be patient from it and it should be celebrated when it finally arrives. I don't wanna see it on the TV for the first time. One more year would be nothing compared to what's behind all of us.
The fact that they recently put up the billboard above the Sony property tells me they're going to release this movie on time, or ASAP afterwards. I would seriously reconsider the marketing campaign though.

Edit: I stand corrected! lol
Last edited by pizzarat on March 30th, 2020, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^Summer 2021 is a lot more crowded than Summer 2020. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Matrix 4, John Wick Chapter 4 in May, Micronauts, Jurassic World: Dominion, and The Batman in June, Indiana Jones 5, next Spider Man movie, Space Jam 2, Mission Impossible 7. Only March and August 2021 look pretty clear right now.

It might be tentative, and we could be seeing one more date change by next year. They've clumped two Sony movies around that date. Afterlife on March 5 and Morbius on March 19. If they stuck to those dates, they'd be cannibalizing each other in the box office. I'm a little skeptical they'll stand.
Last edited by mrmichaelt on March 30th, 2020, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbritton liked this
pizzarat wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:21 pm Why would Sony postpone other movies to summer 2021 and then place new Ghostbusters movie in *March*? I don't get that.
None of them moved to summer. Variety:

"Jason Reitman’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife has moved from July 10, 2020, to March 5, 2021; Jared Leto’s Morbius has been pushed back from July 31, 2020, to March 19, 2021; Tom Holland-starring video game adaptation Uncharted went from March 5, 2021, to Oct. 8, 2021; and Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway moved from Aug. 7, 2020, to Jan. 15, 2021. An untitled Sony/Marvel movie was also delayed from an original Oct. 8, 2021 date."

The reason is that Sony (and every other studio) still has 2021 tentpoles lined up that are important to them. This unexpected shift is going to be a big, complicated thing for studios (which pick dates carefully and strategize based on other studios' dates) to work out; all of the other studios are likely to move their 2020 tentpoles to January-April as well.
Last edited by tylergfoster on March 30th, 2020, 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedSpecial liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:30 pm
pizzarat wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:21 pm Why would Sony postpone other movies to summer 2021 and then place new Ghostbusters movie in *March*? I don't get that.
None of them moved to summer. Variety:

"Jason Reitman’s Ghostbusters: Afterlife has moved from July 10, 2020, to March 5, 2021; Jared Leto’s Morbius has been pushed back from July 31, 2020, to March 19, 2021; Tom Holland-starring video game adaptation Uncharted went from March 5, 2021, to Oct. 8, 2021; and Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway moved from Aug. 7, 2020, to Jan. 15, 2021. An untitled Sony/Marvel movie was also delayed from an original Oct. 8, 2021 date."

The reason is that Sony (and every other studio) still has 2021 tentpoles lined up that are important to them. This unexpected shift is going to be a big, complicated thing for studios (which pick dates carefully and strategize based on other studios' dates) to work out; all of the other studios are likely to move their 2020 tentpoles to January-April as well.
Well that's even worse! But where's the logic in moving the release date to the same period as the other studios?
Note that the situation with some of these 2020-to-2021 movies will also develop based on how long the coronavirus pandemic lasts, and of course, whether or not the 2021 tentpoles for each respective studio finished shooting before the crisis:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 077b6f37ce

Right now I would guess Sony and these other studios (except Universal, which bumped F9 a whole year) are waiting to see if the end of 2020 will allow them to complete their 2021 movies, or if they'll end up pushing the 2020 blockbusters into summer 2021 by necessity.
Last edited by tylergfoster on March 30th, 2020, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God this sucks! I was sincerely hoping that they would end up benefiting from being one of the first tentpoles out the gate after all this hysteria went away.

But I wonder if this move has more to do with the large merchandising effort they were gonna roll out not being ready in time for May-June than it does having to do with the theaters still being closed in July. The damn factories in China being shutdown probably seriously messed up having merch ready.

Cannot believe they moved it a whole damn year. Unbelievable. As was mentioned, now we have a minimum 6 month wait until a new trailer.
SpaceBallz, Wafflerobot liked this
moviemaker29 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:35 pm God this sucks! I was sincerely hoping that they would end up benefiting from being one of the first tentpoles out the gate after all this hysteria went away.
In truth, it's not necessarily wise to hope for Ghostbusters: Afterlife to be that movie. No matter what happens with the pandemic (excepting the very unlikely scenario where it suddenly disappears as quickly as it appeared), we should expect that life will look anywhere from somewhat to significantly different, especially if the crisis lasts longer than expected.

People's psychological and emotional state is being affected. People's finances are being affected. People's jobs, people's living situations, people's health, the importance of things in people's lives are being thrown all out of whack. The first big movie out of the gate is a big question mark. Given the choice, I'd rather be the first movie after the world settles back into whatever our new normal is going to be.
Wafflerobot, robbritton, groschopf and 2 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:41 pm
moviemaker29 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:35 pm God this sucks! I was sincerely hoping that they would end up benefiting from being one of the first tentpoles out the gate after all this hysteria went away.
In truth, it's not necessarily wise to hope for Ghostbusters: Afterlife to be that movie. No matter what happens with the pandemic (excepting the very unlikely scenario where it suddenly disappears as quickly as it appeared), we should expect that life will look anywhere from somewhat to significantly different, especially if the crisis lasts longer than expected.

People's psychological and emotional state is being affected. People's finances are being affected. People's jobs, people's living situations, people's health, the importance of things in people's lives are being thrown all out of whack. The first big movie out of the gate is a big question mark. Given the choice, I'd rather be the first movie after the world settles back into whatever our new normal is going to be.
Good points as usual, but does this mean that Afterlife is now locked to an entirely dead part of the year while the normally scheduled summer 2021 will go on as planned?
Proton Props UK

A handful? Really? Good luck with your wait, I ho[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]