This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Kingpin
I just tried them. The "Engine Bay supplemental" downloaded fine, the Third Floor file failed... don't know what went wrong there, the Second Floor file also failed.

I suggest trying to supplemental one again, and these fresh links for the two I tried that failed:

Second Floor
Third Floor

Anyone else experience problems with them?
By gunza
ok i was poking around flickr and found a better reference photo of the bars on the windows...if you are still working on it that is... (right click, view image)

By Ramjet
I've been away for a while, but still keen to finish the project.

I'm going to redo the firestation with some new software specifically used for generating architectural blueprints. I only received it Tuesday, so will spend a week or two becoming familiar with the controls, and will post the progress.
By Kingpin
Quite appropriate, I've recently come in possession of some more LA23 interior shots, as well as a cross section of the actual Los Angeles station from a set of blueprints.

I may also have the contact details of someone who can get into LA23 and grab photographs.
By zuul_2_ur_vinz
Anyone know if this possible build is still going on? My interest is piqued.

BTW Ramjet , your measurements are almost perfect according to Google Earth.
I got a model of Ladder 8 and measured in sketchup and it's spot on 27' wide x 75' long x 44' tall.

I'm wanting to do pretty much what you're doing but on a larger scale like 1:18

If my math is correct it'd end up being something like 1' 4 wide x 3' 9 long x 2' 2 tall.

I'm planning on learning to customize and do a set of the guys in 3 3/4" GI Joes or something and this size
would fit perfect to lifesize replica. Plus it'd be a load of fun to build.

Please tell me this is still active.
By portugueseGB
Kingpin wrote:
Dan AKA wrote:Have you tried getting a hold of L.A. public records or someone in L.A. who can access public records and just gotten a floor plan?
I haven't, to be honest, but I'm not sure how successful it would be. Even if I did get them, like Hook & Ladder 8, Engine Company 23 has apparently had some extensive modification since it was built in 1909.

But it wouldn't hurt to try, I suppose. Just a matter of finding someone with the time to devote to having to go through the red tape.

As promised, the first part of my Engine Company 23 archive:

Fire Station 23 - Basement Reference

All of the photos have been annotated to say which direction the camera is facing, or which direction I think its facing. There's also a set of observations I've made regarding which features seen in the film were actually fake set dressing and a floorplan drawn from my own conclusions. In the case of the basement, half of the layout is speculated, as the photos I have don't present a whole 360 panorama of the room.

The first floor Engine Bay will be up in a few days. It might have to be two .rar files. The files are limited to 10 downloads and will be deleted by Rapidshare after 90 days.
Hello!

Is anyone in position to upload the basement pictures and repost? All the links are still available except this one.

Many thanks and regards,
By B-Rad
Just found this thread after looking to see if there is any kind of blueprints available. Started doing this as practice doing buildings for my new job. This is what I have started:

http://adamsworkings.files.wordpress.co ... ng_03b.jpg

Making it in Lightwave 3D. This was all done by eye and no measurements. Hopefully with what was started in this thread I'm gonna start over and try and get dimensions correct. Did anyone ever get offical blueprint dimensions for the firehouse?
By Kingpin
I only ever got two or three measurements, and all second-hand recounts rather than anything from the blueprints, one was the length of the building, and one the height of the engine bay on the ground floor.
By B-Rad
ok cool, it may just be that I'll have to play around with it to see what looks correct. At least I have 2 dimensions to work with.
By NessaSan
Hey there.
These models are so amazing...

I was wondering if anyone has got a good floorplan or bird-perspective-view of the ground-level.
Or maybe someone made a sketchup model?
It would help me with the backgrounds in my comic.

Any kind of help appreciated :))
By Azurial
Do we have dimensions yet? I'd like to properly scale this next to either of the model kits and seeing as google hasnt turned anything up yet, I'd figure I'd see if any one knew on the boards...
By Alex Newborn
I took measurements of one of the bricks when I was there in July. I figure from that we can extrapolate everything else.

Alex
By Alex Newborn

This is the brick we measured, the one with the arrow. We figured we could scale everything else around that.

It's 50 inches wide and 14 inches high. The mortar was about a quarter of an inch thick.

Hope that helps!

Alex
By fixer79
There's something I always wondered and I figure this is a good place to ask you guys...
(Also, I hate to see this thread sink into the depths of this forum)

Here goes... My question...

Why are the firestation's red brick walls painted black in the first movie? When we see the firestation in its first establishing shot when they are visiting it, the outer walls are still their original reddish brown but when we see the station in later shots, the walls seem to be painted black.

Also, how the hell did the movie crew do it? Did they actually paint over the entire building exterior and remove the paint after the film's completion? Or is it just a matte painting overlay effect (since the firehouse shots are all fixed camera shots)?
Don't remember reading about this in the Making of Ghostbusters book...

This isn't the only color variation the firehouse undergoes in the world of the Ghostbusters. In the Real Ghostbusters show, the wall colors are inversed; the red brick is colored grey and the grey rims become red. Sometimes the bricks even get a green or blueish hue.

Does anyone have any information about these firehouse color changes?
By Lewis Tully
I'm going to go with tricks of lighting, shadows and film stock. I don't think it was ever intentionally done. Look at the overhead shot right before the containment unit blows. It looks black there, too.

If you look at this last shot you can see that the shadows are making it look dark, but if you look in the upper right hand side of the picture you can still clearly see the red brick.

By d_osborn
Lewis Tully wrote:I'm going to go with tricks of lighting, shadows and film stock. I don't think it was ever intentionally done. Look at the overhead shot right before the containment unit blows. It looks black there, too.

If you look at this last shot you can see that the shadows are making it look dark, but if you look in the upper right hand side of the picture you can still clearly see the red brick.
I really don't think it's lighting or film stock. You can see the similar red brick in the surrounding buildings. I vaguely recall reading about how the firehouse red brick was painted for the post-renovation scenes, but I'm having trouble remembering which article it was in.
By fixer79
I don't know Lewis... I think it's more than a trick of the light...

Look closely at the second image you posted. The bird's eye view of the firehouse.
The building directly behind it appears to have much lighter walls compared to the firehouse, right?
Lewis Tully wrote:Image

Now look at this recent image I got from Google Steetview. It clearly shows that that same building behind the firehouse is in reality much darker compared to Hook & ladder 8.

Also, on the first image you posted, the one with the charming gentleman hanging up the Ghostbusters sign, the color of the brick wall just above the ladder looks awfully close to the flat black paint around the fireghouse gate.
Lewis Tully wrote:Image
I honestly still think that -for whatever reason- they blackened the red firehouse walls for its appearance in Ghostbusters...
By dc2020
So I'm gearing up to build a firehouse model, and in reading the threads I've gathered that Kingpin's floor plans for station 23 are the way to go, shoehorning them in to the footprint of H&L 8. Does anyone still have copies of his plans? Or his reference photos? PM me if you do. I reached out to the man himself, but never heard back.

Thanks!
By CrlKysr
Is there any life left in this thread? Because it is freaking AWESOME! I'd love to get a copy of the models if at all possible.
By Budokhan69
Greetings fellow GB fans!

Gary Saenz here, first time poster & noobie to the site! And what a site it is! Holy Moly! Been a fan of the movie since I was 15, saw it back in '84 when it first came out in theaters & have watched at least a Godzillion times since then.

So, on to the topic. I'm planning on a "subtly" movie-themed N scale (1:160) train platform & one of the buildings I'd like to include on it is the "Ghostbusters Firehouse". I recently lucked into, and have been using, a 3D resin SLA printer. I've already gotten a to-scale Ecto-1 from a 3D printing site called Shapeways which is amazing for its size and just recently found an absolutely awesome .stl file Model of the Firehouse, which I've purchased to print :

It has all 3 main floors & quite a fair bit of detail, both inside & outside, to boot. While not completely accurate to the original ( i'm assuming not only for legal issues but also since its intended to be primarily a 28mm RPG terrain piece) it's got a few subtle details both internally & externally that are different to the actual Building & sets. Very forgivable tho considering the model's purpose! If any of you fine folks in this thread are the designer of this kit, my thanks to you for a job well done!

So, as this model is set up to be a 28mm gaming piece & i'd like to scale it down to 1:160, it comes down to measurements.
Which is why i'm posting this here! :)

I've seen various measurements for H&L 8, both here & elsewhere. I tried, fruitlessly it seems, to hunt down the actual measurements of the real world building on the net. I've even tried to get readings from google Earth but these all varied too much. Then there's a seller on Evil-bay who has a pre-printed model for sale who lists its N-scale dimensions as:

154mm long x 55mm wide and stands 85mm tall

It seems to be the general consensus that the accepted dimensions of Firehouse 8 are thus:
L-75" W-27' H-44'

I give all you folks here a ton of credit in your efforts so far to suss out the buildings real size & I mean by no way to take away from all your hard work! But, it seems most folks are basing their dimensions of length & width by using the red brick walls as the outermost details. I fear the true dimensions may be "slightly" off as when taking measurements, the true figures i'd imagine, should include all outermost details.

There are 2 pics I've gotten from this wonderful thread that I'm going to re-use to demonstrate what I mean.

First shot---width determined by measurements from outermost right & left brick wall:

Second shot--true full width determined by measurement from outermost tips of Uppermost Cornice surrounds on the building:

Ideally, I'd love to have the accurate measurements for Length, Width & Height of the building based on the Cornices but what I can still use is, the best possible answer to this one measurement. If I can get that, I can find the correct reduction percentage I'll need for all the pieces to this model & I can print it out at the right size the first time out. And believe me, with all the work that goes into setting up parts for print & the number of parts this kit has, I don't wanna have to do it more than once! lol

So, if any of you talented & inspiring folks can lend me a hand, It'd be very much appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
~Gary
Last edited by Kingpin on April 13th, 2020, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added img tags
Kingpin, ccv66 liked this
By abritinthebay
We could validate the sizing using the bricks. Those sizes have been standardized for many decades so I wouldn't be shocked if the firehouse uses standard sized bricks (3-5/8" x 2-1/4" x 8"). It's *possible* they use the smaller "modular" form (3-5/8" x 2-1/4" x 7-5/8), but I doubt it.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]