Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Kingpin wrote: May 21st, 2020, 9:29 am Oh-ho-ho... All those examples of product placement still pale in comparison to this example from Designated Survivor:

Why...why do I have the sudden urge to visit my nearest Ford dealer & test drive a brand new Ford 150 today?

God...that screen start up was hilarious. Jesus. Then the Ford loading screen. How essential to the plot!
All this product placement makes me want to go for a Pepsi, because that's what I like.
Alphagaia wrote: May 21st, 2020, 8:51 amDVD/Blue Ray sales in America alone were 35+ million for just a year for instance.
Wow, that's more than I would've expected. Unless my math is wrong, that must mean that they sold nearly four million discs.
Alphagaia liked this
Alphagaia wrote: May 21st, 2020, 3:38 pm Not even counting the digital sales and the rest of the world. Just North America.

Sony never lost money on ATc. They did want to make bank on just the BO alone, though
They reported a 70 million dollar loss on GB16 alone for 2016 tho. So I think either the movie cost more than what they are saying, or the P&A was much larger. I know Hollywood accounting is infamous for its BS, so who knows the truth. Cause you’re right, the production cost was spread around. Sony wasn’t on the hook for the entire budget, it was shared with Village Road Show & another company I think. But who knows. I’m fairly certain it’s illegal to lie about financial info shareholders, IRS & FTC. I think there’s a lie somewhere though because it just doesn’t make sense.

I remember back in the DVD heydays, even the biggest flops were making money on home video because the market was so big. Now? The rental market is gone, the revenue from TV deals is waaay down and physical media is on it’s last legs. Sure some of that was made up by streaming, but even that market is starting to dwindle as each company starts up their own service. The ancillary market is a shadow of its former self, which is so sad. That use to be the parachute. That’s why you only see certain types of movies now. A studio would never take a risk on something like The Matrix today. Sad.
pizzarat, deadderek liked this
The trailer has been updated to say "Next Year" instead of "Next Summer."

https://youtu.be/R37Dw3J2nJM
pizzarat liked this
RichardLess wrote: May 21st, 2020, 5:26 pm
Alphagaia wrote: May 21st, 2020, 3:38 pm Not even counting the digital sales and the rest of the world. Just North America.

Sony never lost money on ATc. They did want to make bank on just the BO alone, though
They reported a 70 million dollar loss on GB16 alone for 2016 tho. So I think either the movie cost more than what they are saying, or the P&A was much larger. I know Hollywood accounting is infamous for its BS, so who knows the truth. Cause you’re right, the production cost was spread around. Sony wasn’t on the hook for the entire budget
As I said before, the loss Sony reported / the articles adopted was very much calculated on BO alone. That number was reported right after the movie did it's run in the cinema's.

A BO loss means they don't need to pay out bonusses on profits to the other investors, though they are usually compensated for their investment. That first BO report never factors in DVD sales and all the other things I mentioned because those come later.

You are right Hollywood has some crazy bookmaking. Men In Black was famously deemed a loss on paper so Amblin didn't need to pay out certain bonusses to people. It finally got settled in court, but it's crazy how they reroute money on these things and claim such a successful series was a loss. Just wow.
I wonder if by putting "Next Year" instead of March is a just-in-case move.
groschopf, Sav C liked this
groschopf wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 10:33 am I think it IS just-in-case... just in case they say spring and move it back a season or two, depending on the situation. No vaccine for at least another 15 months. Who knows what March 2020 will bring at this point.
March 2020 better bring us all Afterlife!!!

Wait.
Sav C, Davideverona, groschopf and 1 others liked this
I have a really bad feeling that they'll have to push it back again, as I don't think movie theaters will have reopened by March. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Honestly, I really hope they decide to release it as a streamable rental in the meantime. Even if they release it on a streaming service first, it'll still be able to get a theatrical release, since its not as if there will be any new movies (taking the place of this year's scheduled movies) to show when theaters reopen.
groschopf liked this
By "Afterlife" they meant that's when we'll be able to watch it. It's trick wording, see.
Last edited by SpaceBallz on May 22nd, 2020, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:04 pm In Italy cinemas will reopen on June 15th with some restrictions: digital payments and digital tickets, less chairs available (to maintain social distancing), no food and drinks.
That's good to know, perhaps I should be a bit more optimistic. Part of my hesitancy comes from my observation that as soon as the "slow reopening" took effect around these parts, a sizable segment of the local population seemed to hear "Coronavirus is over--everything's back to normal now."
deadderek liked this
Sav C wrote:That's good to know, perhaps I should be a bit more optimistic. Part of my hesitancy comes from my observation that as soon as the "slow reopening" took effect around these parts, a sizable segment of the local population seemed to hear "Coronavirus is over--everything's back to normal now."
Yeah, I'm still going to be cautious because there's no vaccine and there's the looming warning of the second wave.
SpaceBallz wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 3:03 pm By "Afterlife" they meant that's when we'll be able to watch it. It's trick wording, see.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
And with today's development that the current administration is keen to get places of worship in the US reopened as soon as possible (potentially even against the will of some state legislators who'd closed them to try restrict the movement of the virus), it seems the prospect of cinemas being reopened is sliding further and further into the future.

I genuinely feel sorry for everyone this ham-fisted effort could seriously negatively impact.
Sav C, Dr.D, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Well, we've been having a slow "slow reopening".

They opened workplaces and lifted the ban on visiting relatives on May 4th, then they waited 15 days to see if there were new infections.

On May 18th,with the infection rate still decreasing, they reopened bars, restaurants, churches, barber shops and beauty centers.

All these places can accept a certain number of people in order to guarantee social distancing (even in churches), staff and costumers has to wear masks and gloves.
Every region has to report to the government how the infection is going in every area: if the infection starts increasing, that single area will be immediately put on lockdown.

So far it this method seems to have worked and we're waiting for June 3rd to see if with these reopenings there have been new infections.

If all goes well, we'll be allowed to take off masks in the streets and use it only inside shops, workplaces and similar.
Coover5 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 8:49 pm Any other completionists out there hoping to get GB3 on VHS?
I'm absolutely going to do that. Crop it and dump it on to a tape.

Maybe get a cover made up similar to this:

Davideverona, Coover5, pizzarat and 1 others liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]