By Reppert7
I know this probably has been beaten to death on this forum, but I've been out of the loop for a bit. Who at this point is doing the best commission pack builds out there??

I saw Karniverous is no longer taking them and Fincher has gone MIA.

Before I get beat to death that I should build my own, believe me, I would love to do so. But at this point in my life I work a very intensely hour job with 2 little girls at home. I've already built my own pack, more of a garage build with a matty wand and I couldn't be more proud of anything I've built in my life. I worked hard and I'm honestly not one to be good with tools whatsoever. At this point, I have big boy money and I wouldn't have the time to teach myself with the proper resin and aluminum parts.

So any help is appreciated!! Thank you everyone!!
By Kingpin
deadderek wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 1:00 am I hear some fella named Video Bob does them.
Please steer clear of Videobob, Reppert7.
Bob has been blacklisted in this community for years due to ripping off other prop builders and producing poor-quality products for what he charges: Blacklisted Sellers List
By Reppert7
Thanks for everyone’s responses. I actually found Proton Props as well. His “84” pack seems to be pretty close to exactly what I want. Unfortunately he’s newly taking commissions and has no reputation yet. He posts on Ben of Kent’s facebook. Does anyone know anything about him??

Also, i see a lot of people building with fiberglass shells. Is there a downside to using resin for a shell as well?
By NotSabbat
Reppert7 wrote: July 25th, 2020, 6:36 pm Also, i see a lot of people building with fiberglass shells. Is there a downside to using resin for a shell as well?
Fiberglass shells are great for strength and detail. You can get similar traits with 3d printed packs with a XTC3D coating (what mine is), but you have to work for it.

Im not sure what you mean by "using resin for a shell as well"?

Though Ill take a stab at answering it: When making something out of fiberglass, the resin doesn't really create strength, the fiberglass does. However the Resin does keep the fiberglass in a solid shape. If you make something out of fiberglass you essentially coat in resin, then put fiberglass on it, then coat with resin some more, etc. If you JUST use resin it will be pretty brittle. Adding resin to a fiberglass shell will essentially just make it heavier with no real strength benefits.

Again not sure it that answers your question, but if it didn't you arent in any worse place than before my comment :D
By Reppert7
Lol!! I’m sorry, long day and I wasn’t thinking about my question when I typed it.

I meant more of what’s the main differences between fiberglass shells vs polyurethane resin shells??
By NotSabbat
I have not heard of polyurethane resin shells. I imagine they would be pretty brittle without fiberglass in them. Do you have an example? I generally only hear of shells being fiberglass or some sort of vacu-formed material (usually ABS)...well...a lot more people are doing 3d printing as well, but that's a completely different discussion.
By Reppert7
TBH, I don’t. With the small amount of research I found on my own, Karniverous creations and Benofkent use polyurethane resin shells which are two of the better suppliers I’ve heard of.

In terms of using materials for car parts, polyurethane resin is actually stronger than fiberglass because it is more flexible material and makes it more durable, the problem with it is it’s much heavier than fiberglass.
By NotSabbat
Reppert7 wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:51 am TBH, I don’t. With the small amount of research I found on my own, Karniverous creations and Benofkent use polyurethane resin shells which are two of the better suppliers I’ve heard of.

In terms of using materials for car parts, polyurethane resin is actually stronger than fiberglass because it is more flexible material and makes it more durable, the problem with it is it’s much heavier than fiberglass.
You know more about it than me then :D

Thats interesting, Ill have to look at that. I haven't really done a LOT of research into shells since I always planned to/have made my own. Both of those sellers do have really good reputations.
By Lowberg
Fiberglass Shell: Fiberglass Gelcoat (which is a form of resin) is applied to the inside of proton pack mold. This becomes the smooth outermost layer that's the exterior of the shell. While still in the mold, the inside of the gelcoat is reinforced with fiberglass (either shredded or strips) and fiberglass epoxy resin which binds everything together and becomes extremely hard. Shell thickness depends on how much fiberglass is applied. Once everything is cured, the completed shell is removed from the mold. This is similar to how boats are made.

Pros to Fiberglass Shells: This is how the actual proton packs were constructed. Much more rigid construction than resin. Drills fairly easy. Parts that mount to it will be very secure and cause little stress to the shell.

Cons to Fiberglass Shells: May be more susceptible to cracking/cosmetic damage depending on how thick the outermost gel coat layer is. If the outer layer is very thick, it should be very durable. Can be tricky to repair.

Resin Shell (Benofkent): Casting resin is applied directly in the mold (probably with a technique called slush casting). Thickness will depend on how much resin is applied.

Pros to Resin Shells: Can be lighter weight compared to fiberglass (Depends on how thick the resin is applied). Its a softer material so it's probably less susceptible to cracking from minor impacts. Easier to repair since you don't have to deal with fiberglass

Cons to Resin Shells: Not the "screen accurate way". Without rigid fiberglass interior, there will be more stress on the shell from parts mounted to it.

Hope this helps, I've worked with bad and good fiberglass shells so this is a general guideline. I have not worked with a resin shell, but I've had other large props that were made entirely of resin such as various Star Wars helmets and never had an issue either way.
Reppert7, Corey91 liked this
By Reppert7
He’s brand new for 2020. He’s said he’s done some local for friends and such, but Ben from Benofkent vouches for him and says he does incredible work. And honestly, I’ve been dealing with him for the past two weeks and he’s been incredibly fantastic and a really great guy.... I’ll definitely post in a few months when I get his pack to show it off!
RealGhostbusterJay liked this
By nicktheguy
I have a polyurethane resin shell - it's great - though the only thing is the shells can shrink as the resin cures - slightly but still it can happen. I have not had to worry too much about fragility of the shell and the resin drills nice and clean.
NotSabbat, Reppert7 liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]