Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
deadderek wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:55 pm Near broke? No. They've taken a massive hit but they're not "near broke".

The Mouse isn't going anywhere.
Once the parks and movie theaters open they'll be fine. Until they don't have enough money coming in. Point is they're in no place to make more acquisitions for the next few years.
Kingpin wrote: August 11th, 2020, 1:34 am
deadderek wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:44 pm I'm fingers crossed for another trailer around Halloween.
I wouldn't hold my breath, December seems like a more likely time that we might see anything new trailer-wise.
I'll see your December and rise you February.
Bison256 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:44 pm
RichardLess wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:27 pmand guess what happened this week? A federal judge removed the old restriction that says Hollywood studios can no longer own theatres. Shits about to get weird.
Thank god Disney is near broke at the moment! They wont be able to monopolize theatres too.
Next year's going to be all Disney. Had plans to go this year but obvious reasons those plans changed. Ill end up seeing Ghostbusters at Universal. Not going any time soon wouldn't be fun at all.
timeware wrote: August 11th, 2020, 7:27 am
Thank god Disney is near broke at the moment! They wont be able to monopolize theatres too.
Next year's going to be all Disney. Had plans to go this year but obvious reasons those plans changed. Ill end up seeing Ghostbusters at Universal. Not going any time soon wouldn't be fun at all.
I worked at Disney World what feels like a life time ago. I got my fill of it back then.
Last edited by Bison256 on August 11th, 2020, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bison256 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 5:18 am
Alphagaia wrote: August 11th, 2020, 4:54 am Just you wait, just you wait...
As Ghostbusters fans waiting is something we've all become very good at.

Wait for it, wait for it.

While we wait for it, here is a song about waiting for it. Halfway is where the epicness begins, so you have to uhm, wait for it. You can thank me later!
Last edited by Alphagaia on August 11th, 2020, 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kingpin liked this
timeware wrote: August 11th, 2020, 7:27 am
Screw Disney (yes I know I just praised them for giving me Hamilton).

In the Efteling we got a Donkey shitting out coins right in your face.

What does Disneyland got that can possibly top that?

Also, it might be a slow day at work.
RichardLess wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:27 pmI’ve said this before but Ghostbusters is a MAJOR priority for Sony. Major. May to the Jay to the Or.
Of course it's major. You constantly stress this like I don't know. What you always leave out is that this is also a franchise that was dormant for 25 years and came back with a notorious big-budget bomb. There is no question that Sony wants Afterlife to be a big hit, and to have something they can build into an active franchise again. That said, this is not a slam dunk success like Tenet or Top Gun 2, and I think you underestimate to what degree Sony would believe it was worth it to mitigate their risk.

The Paramount deal for The Cloverfield Paradox still allowed them to release a Blu-ray and retain the Cloverfield IP. IF it gets to January and we're still not looking at theaters opening soon, and a streamer offers, say, $150m just to get the movie "theatrically," while Sony keeps the IP and all merch sales, retains home video rights, and doesn't have to pay to market the movie? You never know.

Also, Sony does technically have a service, although it's ad-supported, which is Crackle.
Wafflerobot liked this
deadderek wrote:
Kingpin wrote: August 11th, 2020, 1:34 am

I wouldn't hold my breath, December seems like a more likely time that we might see anything new trailer-wise.
Would be a nice Xmas present. At the very least another damn poster around Halloween.
I think we'll get something in October, just given the general supernatural theme of the month. But it won't be a trailer. It'll be some puff piece in a magazine where they talk about the disappointment of not being able to release the film in July, and the challenges of finishing a film with a pandemic going on, and what they were able to do with the extra time. Perhaps some new still images will be included.

I'm guessing Thanksgiving Day we will get a new trailer while everyone is home, watching TV specials/football. Lots of eyeballs with a fraction of the cost of a Superbowl commercial. The film opens in early March, 2021 so that would be just over 3 months out. We'll get a third trailer and regular TV spots in February, 2021.
deadderek, Wafflerobot liked this
I thought crackle was the aftermath of a bad burrito? But anyway Universal has Yoshi that will do the coin thing for ya. I was really looking forward to Avengers Campus this year but i'll settle for the Starwars hotel.

After I sell a kidney or two. Added correction, Yoshi doesn't crap coins he throws eggs at you.
droidguy1119 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 8:31 am
RichardLess wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:27 pmI’ve said this before but Ghostbusters is a MAJOR priority for Sony. Major. May to the Jay to the Or.
Of course it's major. You constantly stress this like I don't know. What you always leave out is that this is also a franchise that was dormant for 25 years and came back with a notorious big-budget bomb. There is no question that Sony wants Afterlife to be a big hit, and to have something they can build into an active franchise again. That said, this is not a slam dunk success like Tenet or Top Gun 2, and I think you underestimate to what degree Sony would believe it was worth it to mitigate their risk.

The Paramount deal for The Cloverfield Paradox still allowed them to release a Blu-ray and retain the Cloverfield IP. IF it gets to January and we're still not looking at theaters opening soon, and a streamer offers, say, $150m just to get the movie "theatrically," while Sony keeps the IP and all merch sales, retains home video rights, and doesn't have to pay to market the movie? You never know.

Also, Sony does technically have a service, although it's ad-supported, which is Crackle.
I constantly stress it not for your benefit but for others who think releasing Ghostbusters online will happen. It provides context for how Sony might look at it VS say something like the Tom Hanks WW2 film.

Good call on Crackle. That service was shutdown where I am. I think it’s shutdown everywhere but US. So I don’t see that as an option.

Honestly, I’m not sure what rates some of these companies are selling the streaming rights for. I mean...if Netflix offered 150m after covering production costs? They might say yes to that. Or not. The big thing is Tom Rothman. He’s a big, big “theatrical window” guy. Greyhound wasn’t a Sony born film. It was independently financed and Sony came aboard later as distributor. There were a bunch of companies on Greyhound so it may not have been something Rothman pushed for. I think they got about 70 million for it. If Tom Rothman sells a Sony incubated production then I might say it’s possible. But Ghostbusters? It’s legacy IP. I think if there’s still mass closures come January Sony sits on the film until it can be released. While money rules in Hollywood, ego isn’t far behind. And every damn studio head wants to be that film which brings everyone back to the theatre. I mentioned this in a previous post but GBA is in a really good position to be that film. It’s known, it’s a comedy, nostalgia. All that good stuff.

On a side note, I find it interesting you feel Top Gun 2 is a slam dunk. I was excited to see how it would do. The first movie is popular enough(though not near as big as Ghostbusters) yet Tom Cruise has had problems with non MI films. My read was there would be a big curiosity factor opening weekend but depending on reviews I didn’t see it being a 250-300m domestic movie. And Tenet would be interesting. Nolan remains one of the few directors that can open a movie with his name alone, well that and some Hans Zimmer “Bwwwaaaah’s” in the marketing.
deadderek liked this
I like how we went from "Ghostbusters 3 is never gonna happen" to debating whether or not it'll go straight on demand since it finished filming.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
Well like I said it's not the Ghostbusters 3 we all wanted for 20+ years, but at least it's happened.
deadderek wrote:thread
True it isn't the Ghostbusters 3 that we wanted and waited for 20 + years, but what if this turns out to be much better then anything we ever imagined. I know that is a heck of thing to say with a major player from the original being gone, but I am getting the feeling that his presence is going to be felt in this movie. Especially with the theme that Jason Reitman says this movie follows.

Afterall Ghostbusters The Video Game really suprised me and was way better than any GB3 that was going through my mnd at the time. :):):)
Until we sit down and watch this, the movie is simultaneously the greatest piece of art we will ever see or absolute crap and the final kick for the franchise.

I'm sure it will land somewhere between these possibilities, firmly on the positive side, but until we know the excitement is making me all tingly inside.
Kingpin, groschopf liked this
Alphagaia wrote: August 12th, 2020, 11:16 pm Until we sit down and watch this, the movie is simultaneously the greatest piece of art we will ever see or absolute crap and the final kick for the franchise.
Schrödinger's Ghostbusters III.
Alphagaia, Davideverona, groschopf and 3 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:52 amIf Tom Rothman sells a Sony incubated production then I might say it’s possible. But Ghostbusters? It’s legacy IP. I think if there’s still mass closures come January Sony sits on the film until it can be released. While money rules in Hollywood, ego isn’t far behind. And every damn studio head wants to be that film which brings everyone back to the theatre. I mentioned this in a previous post but GBA is in a really good position to be that film. It’s known, it’s a comedy, nostalgia. All that good stuff.
I did stress in my posts that I would assume it would be a Cloverfield Paradox situation, in which some streamer gets the movie itself but none of the IP or the merch money, and the studio can still release discs (and in this case, digital ownership). Sony actually already had this relationship with Netflix on "House of Cards," with the exception of not knowing if they jointly control the IP -- Sony got to put it out on DVD and Blu-ray, and it's for sale on sites like VUDU. I was also thinking $150m/$200m total, not on top of production costs, with the caveat that this other service is the one that ends up paying for the marketing. Merch + physical and digital home video sales + $50m with minimal marketing spend (basically, whatever they already spent) might be a pretty good deal for Sony, especially if the movie is popular and they get to make a sequel that gets a traditional release. To be clear, though, I agree with you that we're not even in the neighborhood of a chance unless it's January 2021 and theaters are still not fully or consistently open.

On the other hand, I disagree that Ghostbusters: Afterlife wants to be the first big movie after theaters reopen. I still feel you don't view the film's box office performance as a question mark. The first trailer went over great with us but I'm not convinced the movie is a surefire winner with the public yet. The brand has some dings on it, and some TFA-style nostalgia stuff (Terminator: Dark Fate) bombed, and on top of all that, now the marketing plans have been thrown out of whack by the pandemic. If you have a movie like Tenet, sure, you take that risk -- that's a hip, buzzy movie that people are looking to be surprised by, plus you get to placate one of the studio's most important filmmakers by indulging his love of the theatrical experience, and play to the movie's IMAX photography (or, if you're New Mutants, you give in and burn off the contractual theatrical obligations that are preventing you from shuffling it to a streamer). In the case of Afterlife, it would be a double bummer to have it go first and tank -- it would be bad for the franchise and it would be bad for Sony.
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:52 amOn a side note, I find it interesting you feel Top Gun 2 is a slam dunk. I was excited to see how it would do. The first movie is popular enough(though not near as big as Ghostbusters) yet Tom Cruise has had problems with non MI films.
Unlike Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I saw a ton of people who don't like Top Gun at all or who are skeptical of long-gap nostalgia sequels getting excited just because the film has all this cool, authentically-captured aerial footage. I actually kinda hate the original Top Gun, but that flying material looks really thrilling.
droidguy1119 wrote: August 14th, 2020, 2:40 pm
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:52 amIf Tom Rothman sells a Sony incubated production then I might say it’s possible. But Ghostbusters? It’s legacy IP. I think if there’s still mass closures come January Sony sits on the film until it can be released. While money rules in Hollywood, ego isn’t far behind. And every damn studio head wants to be that film which brings everyone back to the theatre. I mentioned this in a previous post but GBA is in a really good position to be that film. It’s known, it’s a comedy, nostalgia. All that good stuff.
I did stress in my posts that I would assume it would be a Cloverfield Paradox situation, in which some streamer gets the movie itself but none of the IP or the merch money, and the studio can still release discs (and in this case, digital ownership). Sony actually already had this relationship with Netflix on "House of Cards," with the exception of not knowing if they jointly control the IP -- Sony got to put it out on DVD and Blu-ray, and it's for sale on sites like VUDU. I was also thinking $150m/$200m total, not on top of production costs, with the caveat that this other service is the one that ends up paying for the marketing. Merch + physical and digital home video sales + $50m with minimal marketing spend (basically, whatever they already spent) might be a pretty good deal for Sony, especially if the movie is popular and they get to make a sequel that gets a traditional release. To be clear, though, I agree with you that we're not even in the neighborhood of a chance unless it's January 2021 and theaters are still not fully or consistently open.

On the other hand, I disagree that Ghostbusters: Afterlife wants to be the first big movie after theaters reopen. I still feel you don't view the film's box office performance as a question mark. The first trailer went over great with us but I'm not convinced the movie is a surefire winner with the public yet. The brand has some dings on it, and some TFA-style nostalgia stuff (Terminator: Dark Fate) bombed, and on top of all that, now the marketing plans have been thrown out of whack by the pandemic. If you have a movie like Tenet, sure, you take that risk -- that's a hip, buzzy movie that people are looking to be surprised by, plus you get to placate one of the studio's most important filmmakers by indulging his love of the theatrical experience, and play to the movie's IMAX photography (or, if you're New Mutants, you give in and burn off the contractual theatrical obligations that are preventing you from shuffling it to a streamer). In the case of Afterlife, it would be a double bummer to have it go first and tank -- it would be bad for the franchise and it would be bad for Sony.
RichardLess wrote: August 12th, 2020, 4:52 amOn a side note, I find it interesting you feel Top Gun 2 is a slam dunk. I was excited to see how it would do. The first movie is popular enough(though not near as big as Ghostbusters) yet Tom Cruise has had problems with non MI films.
Unlike Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I saw a ton of people who don't like Top Gun at all or who are skeptical of long-gap nostalgia sequels getting excited just because the film has all this cool, authentically-captured aerial footage. I actually kinda hate the original Top Gun, but that flying material looks really thrilling.

I’m not sure what you mean I don’t view the films performance as a question mark? I most certainly do. There are so many variables on the table, infact I think I even created a thread about its budget and box office, asking that exact question. If the right things happen? I think it can be big. Those include reviews & marketing. While it’s true, and a good valid point, that some may be nervous about opening and failing + looking foolish, post Covid , I think the potential to play hero overrides that. Especially for a guy like Tom Rothman. Let’s not forget, this movie was green lit for a reason. If they thought it would do iffy box office...we wouldn’t be here. Then again I’m not my usual pessimistic self when it comes to how people will react when theatres reopen. I think people will want to go. All it takes is the right film with the right buzz at the right time. If GBA tanks, even if Covid never happened, it would be bad for the franchise and bad for Sony. Covid doesn’t change that equation, so why not position yourself to be the first big audience pleasing movie? If it tanks you aren’t getting another bite at the apple for a long time and this will be a looong dormant IP. Might as well go out swinging. Ghostbusters, as a franchise, is playing with house money here. If they win, we all win. If they lose, nothing changes from the status quo of the last 2 decades.

Terminator Dark Fate example doesn’t really line up. They had not 1, not 2, but 3 poorly made sequels that the fans and public & critics didn’t respond to. Plus it had a garbage release date(November? What? So odd for an R rated legacy sequel). And let’s not forget TDF itself wasn’t all that well received either.
droidguy1119 wrote:

Given the release date, even if theaters are open and the public is not scared to go into one, I don't see Ghostbusters: Afterlife being this major draw. If other anticipated films are released around it, I think it suffers even more. I hate to say it, but if Sony is hellbent (pun intended) on having this movie out in theaters, they may do better if they hang onto it and release it in Summer 2021.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]