Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
TheLegendOfMart wrote: August 20th, 2020, 9:58 am
RichardLess wrote: August 19th, 2020, 11:22 am I’m telling you right now. If this movie *doesnt* end with a new cleaned up, nice and shiny Ecto 1, barreling out of that Firehouse in the almost exact same way as when the GB’s went to catch Slimer...someone made a HUGE mistake.

I can see it in my head so clearly.
The new crew(whoever that ends up being) sits in the New York firehouse, anxiously waiting that first call. The phone rings. The music builds. A look of excitement on the new GB’s faces. “Here we go”. Janine or a new secretary picks up the phone “Ghostbusters...” and we CUT. Pure blackness. Those familiar doors slide open and we are almost blinded by the lights and sounds. The Ecto 1 all clean and fixed and gorgeous...in all her glory. She peels out at top speed, turns that corner and heads off into the night to unseen adventures. The camera HOLDS. A gelatinous green blob comes FLYING out of the firehouse and takes off after the Ecto 1.

Fade Out.

The End.
I think the fact that they are going with Wreckto and there being some spoilers regarding it and the toys they are going to retire the Cadillac since they are becoming so hard and expensive to find.

If this is a passing of the torch then expect the NY HQ, Ecto and original Ghostbusters to be phased out with this movie. A clean cut, fresh start.
They better not retire the Caddy. I mean it would have nothing to do with being hard or expensive to find. This is Hollywood. They build batmobiles and Millennium Falcon’s. Building a 1950’s car is something they could do in their sleep.

But you might be right. I don’t think it’s the right move, but we’ll see.
Sav C liked this
I think a new Ecto-mobile would be really cool. If the car has to die an epic death like Enterprise in Star Trek III to help save the day, I would prefer that to another OGB. I really like 1A because while it's essentially the original car (I've always been in the "different" car camp) with a cooler paint job and upgraded technology that definitely plays into the underrated satirical side of Ghostbusters.

I get why Juno Reitman is using Ecto-1,but I would have at least preferred that it have the white 1986 New York plates from the beginning of II when we last saw it. The orange plates intrigue me though. Maybe there's a story to it, or it's just artistic storytelling, but I can't really see Egon in particular re-using old plates for the sake of nostalgia. I'm open though.

NYC is important to the first two movies, especially the second, so it's hard to imagine them being anywhere else after Summerville. I do like that setting as a Tatooine/Jakku for everything to restart though. Looking forward to some creepy scares and laughs at the expense of small-town lethargy.

Here's a question. If the preponderance of supernatural activity is always tied to a looming cross-rip or event like the psychomagnotheric slime, won't "Ghostbusters" be irrelevant again until something significance comes up?
Well Ghostbusters was a going into business story, Ghostbuster 2 was a going back into business story. Afterlife seems to be going a different direction. I have said this before, but In the world of the films it would appear if there hadn’t been a ghost sighting in 30 years Ghostbusting probably isn’t a steady business. The business aspect is probably not going to be touched upon too much even though this is a legacy story.

If the movie knocks it out of the park I have no doubt we will see more from the franchise, just not sure it will be another live action film. I think Afterlife may not only be closure to the original chapter, but may serve as closure to the franchise as a whole. I am sure it will feel like the ending to the original movie open ended so a sequel could follow but satisfying enough to where a sequel wouldn’t be a necessity. :)

I look back at the peak years of 1984 to 1991 when we had 2 movies, a cartoon series, a toy line, and a comic series. I can see that happening again today. The 2009 video game renewed interest enough to give us a few new toys and the IDW comic 2 years later. ATC success or not did manage to keep the iron hot for more merchandise and kept interest up for the comic to continue. Afterlife has already got some more merchandise tied to it, so if well executed this could lead to a new peak for the franchise. Sure will be fun to see what happens. :):):)
Wafflerobot, Kingpin, Glenn Frederick and 1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 20th, 2020, 12:43 pm They better not retire the Caddy. I mean it would have nothing to do with being hard or expensive to find. This is Hollywood. They build batmobiles and Millennium Falcon’s. Building a 1950’s car is something they could do in their sleep.

Building a fictional thing is different than making a car that was manufactured in the 50s. We all know what the Ecto 1 looks like and fans are quick to pick apart any inaccuracies means they have to spend a lot of money to buy junkers to refurbish.

They are so expensive and parts are hard to find, they had to scavenge the Ecto 1A to make one of the three they had for Afterlife.

It's hundreds of thousands of dollars they could use elsewhere in the movie.

I agree it would be sad to see it go but like I said, if this is a passing of the torch then I imagine they would want to distance themselves from what came before.
TheLegendOfMart wrote: August 21st, 2020, 1:32 amThey are so expensive and parts are hard to find, they had to scavenge the Ecto 1A to make one of the three they had for Afterlife.
Technically speaking one of the two, as the 1960s Cadillac was reportedly bought specifically for cutting up for internal filming, and likely won't be showing up with a white and red colourscheme.
I understand the need to have a car cut up for interior shots but am I being naive to ask why they don’t keep these in storage to use in future films? Likewise the original 1 and 1A. Why can’t they be looked after and maintained if the franchise is a going concern?

Do they need to purchase 2/3 new cars for each film??
pizzarat liked this
Bison256 wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:35 am If a sequal to afterlife gets made Dan and Ernie will be in it. It's Dan's baby and Ernie Hudson is a working actor.
If the sequal ever gets made it's going to be thirty years later and the new crew will be busting the old crew. Dan and Ernie will be in it but featured as vague references or photos. The majority of us will be in our sixties and hopefully not ghosts our selves.
GaudinosWheels wrote: August 21st, 2020, 3:20 am I understand the need to have a car cut up for interior shots but am I being naive to ask why they don’t keep these in storage to use in future films? Likewise the original 1 and 1A. Why can’t they be looked after and maintained if the franchise is a going concern?

They don't need them per se, it's all about logistics and how the production is set up. Space constraints and fan visibility are the reasons why they aren't stored inside. For perspective, both the 1 and 1A are 21' long. Both are roughly 7.8' wide. That's an approximately 328 square feet footprint of storage space the studios would need to find at a minimum. Next, if the cars are stored inside, who is going to see them? "Well, they can make a garage for them or put them with other props inside a warehouse!" Ha, the studio isn't going to shell out six figures to build a garage for them, and they aren't going to let fans or tours in the prop warehouses unless they are specifically set up as part of a tour.

The 1 and 1A went in for restoration in 2007, and only the 1 made it out due to...you guessed it...money! So the 1A has languished in a state of disassembly for years despite multiple fan attempts (myself conspicuously included) in restoring it. It now has a new lease on life in its current form, while the 1 rots away, outside, exposed to the elements over the past decade. It's starting to look like it did in 2005 when they did a quick refresh to, guess what, take it from disregarded backlot storage to part of a tour!
Alphagaia liked this
GaudinosWheels wrote: August 21st, 2020, 3:20 am I understand the need to have a car cut up for interior shots but am I being naive to ask why they don’t keep these in storage to use in future films?
Because it's increasingly difficult to find parts for a car built during the Eisenhower Administration.

"But they changed the engine!" Sure, but that's not the whole car. The windshield alone is difficult if not impossible to find.

If they want to appeal to a younger demographic at this point, it would make sense to make a new build from something more modern -- something they might recognize. Something they can get parts for easily. Something that doesn't cost a fortune and time to source parts for.

I mean, the car was 25 years old when I saw it at the age of five. It's 61 years old now. If the timespan were the same when the first movie came out, I would have been looking at something like a 1924 Ford Model T. It would have transcended funny and gone straight to "get out of here..." if the car looked like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to me as a kid.
pizzarat liked this
69428scj wrote: August 21st, 2020, 10:10 amThe 1 and 1A went in for restoration in 2007, and only the 1 made it out due to...you guessed it...money! So the 1A has languished in a state of disassembly for years despite multiple fan attempts (myself conspicuously included) in restoring it. It now has a new lease on life in its current form, while the 1 rots away, outside, exposed to the elements over the past decade. It's starting to look like it did in 2005 when they did a quick refresh to, guess what, take it from disregarded backlot storage to part of a tour!

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea the original 1 was rotting away after the restoration, regardless of the inaccuracies that is a terrible shame.

It does seem like the studios don’t truly appreciate the legacy and the art that made them so much money. Not a surprise obviously but still a waste.
Last edited by Kingpin on August 21st, 2020, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed broken quote code
TheLegendOfMart wrote: August 21st, 2020, 1:32 am
RichardLess wrote: August 20th, 2020, 12:43 pm They better not retire the Caddy. I mean it would have nothing to do with being hard or expensive to find. This is Hollywood. They build batmobiles and Millennium Falcon’s. Building a 1950’s car is something they could do in their sleep.

Building a fictional thing is different than making a car that was manufactured in the 50s. We all know what the Ecto 1 looks like and fans are quick to pick apart any inaccuracies means they have to spend a lot of money to buy junkers to refurbish.

They are so expensive and parts are hard to find, they had to scavenge the Ecto 1A to make one of the three they had for Afterlife.

It's hundreds of thousands of dollars they could use elsewhere in the movie.

I agree it would be sad to see it go but like I said, if this is a passing of the torch then I imagine they would want to distance themselves from what came before.
It’s really not that different, it’s actually WAY easier. Why? Because it doesn’t have to be designed. They have a reference. Would it be expensive? Sure. But it would be such a small line item, it probably costs less than 6 CGI shots.

Films are fake. So they could build an Ecto 1 that is EXACTLY the same, or they could build an Ecto 1 that LOOKS exactly the same.
robbritton liked this
This whole prop story reminds me of the time they needed the Derelict Ship from Alien for one or two shot in Aliens.

Problem was, everything was thrown away. Why? Because storage costs money and that stuff wasn't meant to last anyway. Who knew when Aliens would ever get made?

They thought they had to remake the ship. However, they found out that some fan had been given lots of alien stuff and was collecting it in a huge storage facility. He was happy to lend it back to them, free of cost. Great!

Whole scene gets cut anyway and can only be seen in the extended cut years later.
Last edited by Alphagaia on August 22nd, 2020, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
Bison256 wrote: August 21st, 2020, 10:48 am At least they're being stored in California weather. Imagine what state they'd be if it were the Midwest? Judging from the photo it's rubber and plastic that take the most damage while under decades of California sun.
I could imagine what it would look like if it were kept under the Florida sun. I went to universal about 2005. The ship from flight of the navigator looked like it really needed some TLC. I could only cringe at what the prop looks like now. That was on the back lot tour.

Yeah, it's a shame how Hollywood neglects these props.
69428scj wrote: August 21st, 2020, 10:10 am
GaudinosWheels wrote: August 21st, 2020, 3:20 am I understand the need to have a car cut up for interior shots but am I being naive to ask why they don’t keep these in storage to use in future films? Likewise the original 1 and 1A. Why can’t they be looked after and maintained if the franchise is a going concern?

They don't need them per se, it's all about logistics and how the production is set up. Space constraints and fan visibility are the reasons why they aren't stored inside. For perspective, both the 1 and 1A are 21' long. Both are roughly 7.8' wide. That's an approximately 328 square feet footprint of storage space the studios would need to find at a minimum. Next, if the cars are stored inside, who is going to see them? "Well, they can make a garage for them or put them with other props inside a warehouse!" Ha, the studio isn't going to shell out six figures to build a garage for them, and they aren't going to let fans or tours in the prop warehouses unless they are specifically set up as part of a tour.

The 1 and 1A went in for restoration in 2007, and only the 1 made it out due to...you guessed it...money! So the 1A has languished in a state of disassembly for years despite multiple fan attempts (myself conspicuously included) in restoring it. It now has a new lease on life in its current form, while the 1 rots away, outside, exposed to the elements over the past decade. It's starting to look like it did in 2005 when they did a quick refresh to, guess what, take it from disregarded backlot storage to part of a tour!
The restoration done in 2007. Is that the one that shown in the “Restoring the Ecto 1” bonus feature from the blu-Ray? Where Dan Aykroyd comes in to inspect it and takes it for a drive?
RichardLess wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 2:04 am The restoration done in 2007. Is that the one that shown in the “Restoring the Ecto 1” bonus feature from the blu-Ray? Where Dan Aykroyd comes in to inspect it and takes it for a drive?
I'm certain it was 2004/2005 when the first, lackluster restoration was done, to coincide with the "green slime" release of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II on DVD:

The restoration featured on the Blu Ray was the more in-depth effort from 2008/2009, which fixed some of the ham-fisted efforts of the previous restoration, but retained others (some chrome pieces left painted silver, the sniffer box being painted the wrong colour and its tubes facing backwards).
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 2:04 am The restoration done in 2007. Is that the one that shown in the “Restoring the Ecto 1” bonus feature from the blu-Ray? Where Dan Aykroyd comes in to inspect it and takes it for a drive?
I'm certain it was 2004/2005 when the first, lackluster restoration was done, to coincide with the "green slime" release of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II on DVD:

The restoration featured on the Blu Ray was the more in-depth effort from 2008/2009, which fixed some of the ham-fisted efforts of the previous restoration, but retained others (some chrome pieces left painted silver, the sniffer box being painted the wrong colour and its tubes facing backwards).
Are there any recent pictures of the restored one? Specially showing how it’s fared in the intervening years?
GaudinosWheels wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 7:43 am Are there any recent pictures of the restored one? Specially showing how it’s fared in the intervening years?
These are from her appearance at the Consumer Electronics Show in January of this year:
Ectomobile from Ghostbusters (1984 original)
CES 2020 - ECTO-1 from Ghostbusters
(2020) CES_Sony-188
(2020) CES_Sony-186a
(2020) CES_Sony-2-56b
(2020) CES_Sony-2-56a
(2020) CES_Sony-2-51
(2020) CES_Sony-2-50
(2020) CES_Sony-2-50a

The most obvious signs of post-2009-restoration aging/deterioration I've spotted are the fading of the inner glass of the red Propelloray beacon, some spots of rust marring the paintwork on the passenger-side wing and door, and the wooden end cap of the green tank is starting to look worse for wear.

Here's photos of the car when it was freshly unveiled after the second restoration: Ecto-1 Restoration Photos
pizzarat liked this
So as I understand it currently we have:

The Ecto 1 that sits on the lot.

The 1A converted for filming Afterlife.

Another Ecto for Afterlife.

The Caddy that was chopped up for interior shooting.

This correct???
If it was me and I was extra sneaky I would have totally done a partial 1A restoration as part of filming to use it in a sequence. Then with filming complete just shine it up nice!

But if parts were salvaged to make 2 complete cars... I dunno the fate of 1A may be sealed at this point.

What would be awesome in a dream scenario would be all 3 Ectomobiles lights blazing at the big premiere with the cast & crew arriving in each on the red carpet.
pizzarat liked this
deadderek wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm So as I understand it currently we have:

This correct???
And the ambulance which briefly starred as the "primer" Ecto. :)
timeware wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 11:59 pm So I may have brought this up before but does anyone think that they could have converted one of the wrecto's to Ecto 1-A without us knowing? They'e kept things under wrap pretty well.
I don't see that happening. Jason was probably able to swing turning the beat-up Ecto-1A into one of the Wrectos as it gave them additional materials to work with the film, allowing them to film twice the amount of material, reducing the need for a longer shooting period in Canda... Converting the Wrecto-1A back into the Ecto-1A seems an expenditure Sony would be unlikely/unwilling to allow given they cancelled the original restoration plan for '1A.
Kingpin wrote: August 24th, 2020, 10:32 am
deadderek wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 9:59 pm So as I understand it currently we have:

This correct???
And the ambulance which briefly starred as the "primer" Ecto. :)
timeware wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 11:59 pm So I may have brought this up before but does anyone think that they could have converted one of the wrecto's to Ecto 1-A without us knowing? They'e kept things under wrap pretty well.
I don't see that happening. Jason was probably able to swing turning the beat-up Ecto-1A into one of the Wrectos as it gave them additional materials to work with the film, allowing them to film twice the amount of material, reducing the need for a longer shooting period in Canda... Converting the Wrecto-1A back into the Ecto-1A seems an expenditure Sony would be unlikely/unwilling to allow given they cancelled the original restoration plan for '1A.
It was interesting when AJ reported on this very site that the 1A parts are "in safe hands". I found that very interesting, because I would have totally expected those to be trashed if they're done with that iteration of the car. In retrospect I wish I asked Juno about 1A last year at Fan Fest. Although it's unlikely, the car really should be restored to 1A for the sake of GB history..

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]