Discuss the upcoming movie to be released in 2020 and directed by Jason Reitman.
#4939166
As this goes on longer studios can’t afford to keep kicking the can much further. We will find out numbers from Tenet and Mulan eventually.

Wonder Woman getting pushed AGAIN to Christmas isn’t a good sign. No Time To Die is the next big experiment. It may hold or get pushed further.

By late November everything could be changing again and Sony may end up deciding on a hybrid tactic instead of theater-only. That would be a reasonable solution I feel. States are all having different timings for theaters reopening. New hotspots this Fall will change everything again.

Trolls World Tour proved that streaming can work for massive revenue, while its lesser budget does make it a better scenario for that particular film.

If theaters that are open receive the film in March and digital option is available for those of us who want to stay safe or where theaters aren’t open really feels like the way forward.

This virus won’t be over for a LONG time.
Wafflerobot liked this
#4939169
Dr.D wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:24 am WB and Sony both keeping the box office numbers of their recent releases secret tells you alot.
It tells you they're nervous because this is entirely uncharted waters and they don't want a film to be prematurely labelled a flop. It makes sense.

Per Variety:
"The studio, however, was concerned that reporters and rivals would misinterpret or unfairly analyze the results — leading to headlines that may incorrectly label “Tenet’s’ debut as a flop. Warner Bros. urged journalists to provide context by noting that ticket sales would automatically be lower than normal given the fact that theaters in major markets like New York and Los Angeles aren’t open and cinemas that have reopened have done so at reduced capacity. With those caveats in mind, Warner Bros. was never banking on a splashy opening weekend and instead hoped “Tenet” would play in theaters for months without much in the way of competition."
Wafflerobot liked this
#4939170
timeware wrote: September 13th, 2020, 9:26 am We have several vaccines ending human trials fairly soon, one just paused for safety reasons. Politics be damned if FDA doesn't slow walk approval we'll have one by October the latest. More likely after November depending who's elected but the media's been spreading unnecessary fear about a vaccine being safely ready during Trump's administration.

Richardless can call these Hannity talking points because I predict he will but that's what's going on. These vaccines the talking heads are concerned about will be the same vaccines the FDA will approve if Joe Hiden get's elected. I honestly don't expect the release date to get pushed that far back.
Nah. Those are more Tucker Carlson/Laura Ingraham talking points. Also, bravo on the use of “Joe Hiden”. Though I prefer Joe “At least I didn’t bankrupt a Casino Or have fake Time Magazine “Man of the Year” Covers put up all over my resorts because I’m insecure about the size of my manhood“ Biden. Though I admit that hardly rolls off the tongue.

Oh and lest I forget:

*Insert something vaguely related to Ghostbusters Afterlife to pretend I’m staying on topic here*
seekandannoy liked this
#4939171
RichardLess wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:28 pm
timeware wrote: September 13th, 2020, 9:26 am We have several vaccines ending human trials fairly soon, one just paused for safety reasons. Politics be damned if FDA doesn't slow walk approval we'll have one by October the latest. More likely after November depending who's elected but the media's been spreading unnecessary fear about a vaccine being safely ready during Trump's administration.

Richardless can call these Hannity talking points because I predict he will but that's what's going on. These vaccines the talking heads are concerned about will be the same vaccines the FDA will approve if Joe Hiden get's elected. I honestly don't expect the release date to get pushed that far back.
Nah. Those are more Tucker Carlson/Laura Ingraham talking points. Also, bravo on the use of “Joe Hiden”. Though I prefer Joe “At least I didn’t bankrupt a Casino Or have fake Time Magazine “Man of the Year” Covers put up all over my resorts because I’m insecure about the size of my manhood“ Biden. Though I admit that hardly rolls off the tongue.

Oh and lest I forget:

*Insert something vaguely related to Ghostbusters Afterlife to pretend I’m staying on topic here*
Not often I get to use my Mod voice, because Ben spends a lot more time on here :cool: ...but yeah, let's not dwell too much on the politics. I get enough of that other places.
#4939172
There's other mods? MIND - BLOWN.
#4939173
RichardLess wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:28 pmAlso, bravo on the use of “Joe Hiden”.
I was kinda hoping that was just an unfortunate typo, but in case it isn't, I'd just like to throw in my two pence (that's pence as in British currency, not the Veep) before Fritz puts me in the corner for a time out:

It's more than understandable why Biden, being 77 would scale back his public appearances during a global pandemic... His unwillingness to appear at public events during a medical emergency of this nature is not some sort of sign makes complete sense to avoid not only avoiding potentially putting his own health at risk, but also the health of those members of the public who would normally want to attend.
Not attending in person/holding major public events was the responsible thing to do.
deadderek wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm There's other mods? MIND - BLOWN.
I'm actually all them, they're the facets of my split personality. :P
#4939174
Personally, I'm not expecting Afterlife to come out in March.

Even if a vaccine is ready quickly, it still takes a while to distribute it. There will, of course, be people that don't want to take it, further complicating matters.

The longer this pandemic drags on, the more it'll slow do re-opening efforts and change consumer habits. I mean... just consider who's going to staff a movie theater to start with. That's probably a do-over that will involve hiring and training all new theater employees.

Combine that with some very likely unrest in United States no matter who wins in November, and I think it's a recipe for moving it back again. I'd like to think we'll see it by the end of 2021, but that feels a million years away considering what 2020 has already looked like.

But I'm biased -- I currently live in Minneapolis, moved here from Portland and originally grew up in Kenosha county. My entire summer has been full of either experiencing or witnessing through friends an endless parade of shit going wrong this year. I'm Mr. Brightside!

Seriously though, I hope I live long enough to see this movie about ghosts.
#4939176
Kingpin wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:44 pm
RichardLess wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:28 pmAlso, bravo on the use of “Joe Hiden”.
I was kinda hoping that was just an unfortunate typo, but in case it isn't, I'd just like to throw in my two pence (that's pence as in British currency, not the Veep) before Fritz puts me in the corner for a time out:

It's more than understandable why Biden, being 77 would scale back his public appearances during a global pandemic... His unwillingness to appear at public events during a medical emergency of this nature is not some sort of sign makes complete sense to avoid not only avoiding potentially putting his own health at risk, but also the health of those members of the public who would normally want to attend.
Not attending in person/holding major public events was the responsible thing to do.
deadderek wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:42 pm There's other mods? MIND - BLOWN.
I'm actually all them, they're the facets of my split personality. :P
No it wasn’t a typo. “Joe Hiden” was trending on Twitter a week or so ago. I think Trump used it at a rally and then others starts parroting it.


Not that we will ever know the answer to this but I wonder how different the movie will end up being vs what we would’ve seen had it been released in July. Time is the enemy of films like these. So now that everyone has more time to tinker with the movie...how different is it? I wonder. Granted they have more time to polish effects and things of that nature. But I’ve heard stories of movies changing at the last second. Suddenly a joke or scene that worked the 223 times it was watched by the editor and director now no longer works on the 224th time. So it gets cut.
seekandannoy liked this
#4939177
groschopf wrote: September 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm . I mean... just consider who's going to staff a movie theater to start with. That's probably a do-over that will involve hiring and training all new theater employees.
A couple days of "training" at most. Been there done that.
#4939179
RichardLess wrote: September 13th, 2020, 5:17 pm
Kingpin wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:44 pm

I was kinda hoping that was just an unfortunate typo, but in case it isn't, I'd just like to throw in my two pence (that's pence as in British currency, not the Veep) before Fritz puts me in the corner for a time out:

It's more than understandable why Biden, being 77 would scale back his public appearances during a global pandemic... His unwillingness to appear at public events during a medical emergency of this nature is not some sort of sign makes complete sense to avoid not only avoiding potentially putting his own health at risk, but also the health of those members of the public who would normally want to attend.
Not attending in person/holding major public events was the responsible thing to do.



I'm actually all them, they're the facets of my split personality. :P
No it wasn’t a typo. “Joe Hiden” was trending on Twitter a week or so ago. I think Trump used it at a rally and then others starts parroting it.


Not that we will ever know the answer to this but I wonder how different the movie will end up being vs what we would’ve seen had it been released in July. Time is the enemy of films like these. So now that everyone has more time to tinker with the movie...how different is it? I wonder. Granted they have more time to polish effects and things of that nature. But I’ve heard stories of movies changing at the last second. Suddenly a joke or scene that worked the 223 times it was watched by the editor and director now no longer works on the 224th time. So it gets cut.
I wont drag on the politics but no it wasn't a typo. Not dogging Biden on staying safe, but I am dogging him on not getting tested. I'll be glad when this is all over and we can start complaining about the next guys. But on a side note only one of these candidates was in an actual Ghostbuster's related video. I'm more looking forward to the cast, director commentary on Afterlife of what ended up making it in and what didn't.
#4939182
mrmichaelt wrote: September 12th, 2020, 6:00 am
RichardLess wrote: September 12th, 2020, 2:15 am Yeah. I can’t remember where. There’s a forum somewhere on here about the box office and budget of GBA and there’s a link somewhere in there. It was a local paper from Calgary if memory serves.
Thanks. I went to the box office thread and saw droidguy mention it on August 11, 2019 so I did some back tracking on this thread to that date to see when it was mentioned and it was in this article:
http://www.tabertimes.com/news/2019/08/ ... this-week/

Here's the quote:
"We are really excited to be bringing this $170 million dollar-plus production into the town of Fort Macleod. It goes a long way into helping our economy as well as putting the town of Fort Macleod on the map,” said Sue Keenan, CAO for Fort Macleod.
I asked the author of the article if he fact-checked that number and he said he just transcribed it and that it was not run past anyone. My guess is that he either misheard $70m or that Ms. Keenan simply had the number wrong.

The one lesson we can confidently say Sony learned from Ghostbusters (2016) is that the movie needs to be much cheaper, and I'm not just talking about Aykroyd. $170m is more than the reboot cost at $144m, which was shaved down when Tom Rothman entered the picture. There is no universe in which Rothman follows up an expensive bomb with one that costs $26m more, and even if you convert it to CAD, $23m less doesn't seem like enough of a difference.

Sony claimed that Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, their last major IP hit, cost $90m, although other studios said more like $110 after tax credits. I suppose this could be another instance of fudging the numbers, but the reboot's performance just feels like it makes Afterlife way more of a dice-roll than Jumanji was. Also, a budget of around $70-80m is also a good number in that doing around Ghostbusters (2016) numbers ($226m worldwide) would put a movie at that price tag in the black.

As far as advertising goes, no way they spent $50m already. Probably more like $25m. There was debate about them skipping the Superbowl, but that would've been money down the drain.
deadderek, mrmichaelt, robbritton and 1 others liked this
#4939185
Could the 170 M be a combined number of multiple movies being shot?
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
#4939187
Alphagaia wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:55 pm Could the 170 M be a combined number of multiple movies being shot?
That's a good thought, maybe there were other productions going on and she was thinking a total for all of them together. Hmmmm.
mrmichaelt liked this
#4939188
I asked Eric Reich tonight and he confirmed Ms. Keenan was "definitely misspoken," her number is not even close, nor would she would have had that information at her disposal.
Alphagaia wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:55 pm Could the 170 M be a combined number of multiple movies being shot?
That's looking possible. A quick look on imdb, and it seems there was one other production that filmed in Fort Macleod that comes out later this year - "Let Him Go" with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane. Maybe she was combining productions after all for that fiscal year.
Kingpin wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:44 pm I'm actually all them, they're the facets of my split personality. :P
After I watched tonight's Lovecraft Country, I'm glad it's just that, Kingpin. :P
deadderek liked this
#4939190
jonogunn wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:49 pm Don’t trailers for movies in March usual come out in the summer? I really hope they release one some time in October to hold us over
I was expecting December, a year after this first trailer... but now March is in doubt (imo), I'm not sure because momentum has hit a plateau right now and if there isn't a defined end period for the pandemic, does it make more sense from the studio's point of view to simply cease all marketing until they're confident a date can be locked. If the theatres don't open up fully until 2022, then why waste a trailer in late 2020 if it's not ramping up to anything?
seekandannoy liked this
#4939192
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:31 am
jonogunn wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:49 pm Don’t trailers for movies in March usual come out in the summer? I really hope they release one some time in October to hold us over

I was expecting December, a year after this first trailer... but now March is in doubt (imo), I'm not sure because momentum has hit a plateau right now and if there isn't a defined end period for the pandemic, does it make more sense from the studio's point of view to simply cease all marketing until they're confident a date can be locked. If the theatres don't open up fully until 2022, then why waste a trailer in late 2020 if it's not ramping up to anything?
I didn’t realize they might push it back that sucks :(

DC and Marvel has so I guess it makes sense.

I saw Tenet in theaters and it was quite empty
#4939195
Ghostbusters Afterlife is also a special case - it has a lower budget and has been relatively low-key compared to ATC, but it's still designed to kickstart a universe of future films. It didn't appear on many serious critics' radar for 2020, but given Jason's previous work I expect it will carry an emotional weight, combined with some new and marketable ghosts, plus a trailer featuring Venkman to hook those turned off by ATC... it has "surprise hit" potential.

Marvel and Disney could absorb any risks of dropping a movie in lockdown conditions because their films have long legs and a large fanbase. They could strategically eg. sacrifice Black Widow on streaming at Xmas, just to keep the brand and fans ticking over. I believe Tenet has done relatively poorly but it is tricky to judge because word of mouth has been mixed.

I doubt Sony will do the same with Ghostbusters, it makes more sense to sit on it.
#4939198
mrmichaelt wrote: September 14th, 2020, 12:58 am I asked Eric Reich tonight and he confirmed Ms. Keenan was "definitely misspoken," her number is not even close, nor would she would have had that information at her disposal.
Alphagaia wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:55 pm Could the 170 M be a combined number of multiple movies being shot?
That's looking possible. A quick look on imdb, and it seems there was one other production that filmed in Fort Macleod that comes out later this year - "Let Him Go" with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane. Maybe she was combining productions after all for that fiscal year.
Kingpin wrote: September 13th, 2020, 3:44 pm I'm actually all them, they're the facets of my split personality. :P
After I watched tonight's Lovecraft Country, I'm glad it's just that, Kingpin. :P
Hmm. What was this ladies job title? Did she work for Alberta film, or just the city? If she works for Alberta film then she would most definitely have access to budget numbers, since Alberta provides production rebates. If she just worked for the city then no way would she have access to that info.

What exactly did you say to Eric? Again, we are dealing with two different sets of currencies. 170m US is quite a substantial amount more than 170m Canadian.

Edit: Yeah she works for the city. I doubt she’d have access to that info. People have contacted the reporter and a producer, has anyone tried to contact the woman?
#4939199
RichardLess wrote: What exactly did you say to Eric? Again, we are dealing with two different sets of currencies. 170m US is quite a substantial amount more than 170m Canadian.
The relevant parts I said to Eric were:
me wrote:There has been off and on discussion about Ghostbusters Afterlife's budget. One article in particular has created some confusion. I understand that for various reasons that you cannot tell me what the exact budget is but a little bit of you weighing in would be a lot of help.

http://www.tabertimes.com/news/2019/08/ ... this-week/

Here's the quote:
"We are really excited to be bringing this $170 million dollar-plus production into the town of Fort Macleod. It goes a long way into helping our economy as well as putting the town of Fort Macleod on the map,” said Sue Keenan, CAO for Fort Macleod

Was Ms. Keenan misspoken? Talking in Canadian Dollars? Was she misquoted?
And Eric replied
Eric wrote:That’s an easy one, she was definitely misspoken. Although I can’t reveal the budget, she is not even close and wouldn’t have had that information.
Alphagaia liked this
#4939200
Heres how i see things going down...

1: Best case Scenario: We get a Vaccine by the end of the year, its distributed without a hitch (unlikely) and most people get it. Come March 5th, Theaters are open enough to generate a profit, Afterlife hits theaters, does well.

2: Likely: The movie gets pushed back into the summer. A Vaccine is released, people take it, but not enough to end the pandemic. Theaters still have to play it safe, but cant afford to keep closed for much longer, role the dice and open with limited capacity. Ghostbusters Afterlife Opens in the summer...(May, June, July). Does Ok but like Ghostbusters 2, gets lost in the shuffle, doesn't do enough to warrant a sequel and sadly serves as a send off and farewell to our franchise.

3: Worse Case Scenario: The movie is pushed back until the fall of 2021. Theaters still aren't turning a profit, your having people outright refusing to take any vaccine,(Because this is America, you don't tell me what to do even if it will save my and my families life) keeping this pandemic going on for an extended period of time. Theaters open, but shut down again, because its just too dangerous with new cases of outbreaks all linked to theaters.

Theaters and studios are hemorrhaging money left and right to the point where some have to close doors permanently. Sony has to delay filming on several films, costing them millions more, and decide to just put out Ghostbusters Afterlife and several other films at inflated prices on demand (Like Disney did with Mulan, charging 30 dollars)

Afterlife comes out digitally in the fall around halloween, gets great reviews, but outside of us die hard fans, not many people are going to pay 30 dollars upfront to see a ghostbusters film, it tanks, and thats all she wrote, end of the franchise for a few more years atleast until someone else tries to reboot it down the road (be it a total or soft reboot)

Ideally this does not happen!

Frankly at this point i have no clue whats going to happen. I want March, but i'm not holding my breath! With Warner Brothers not showing profits (if you can call them that) from Tenant and with Wonder Woman being pushed back till christmas (if it makes that) and word is Black Widow might be delayed until next year as well...I have major doubts we will make March.

June is more likely at this point
Wafflerobot liked this
#4939201
My concern is largely the speed with which a vaccine becomes available and the mutation of the virus itself.

Usually vaccines go through trials and take years to develop, not months. I worry that the haste in getting something to market will result in unintended consequences, and years from now we will find out that the COVID-19 vaccine causes liver and kidney failure, or something like that.

Also, the reason the flu vaccine is only somewhat effective is because the flu strain mutates hundreds of times and scientists have to make educated guesses. Coronavirus doesn't mutate nearly as much as the flu does, but it still can mutate. So that creates a chance that the vaccine doesn't really solve the problem.

I don't see March as being a realistic release date any longer. Even with a vaccine available by that time, distributing it is going to be a separate challenge. I think GB:A will get pushed back again to July 2021. Now, if I'm a studio exec, Ivan Reitman, and Jason Reitman, I'm using this extra time to "make it up to the fans." I'm coaxing Rick Moranis to make a cameo and shooting it in secret.
#4939202
We are now officially as of this moment less then 6 months out! If they are going to delay it, i figure we should know before halloween. I think if they do the least they can do is make it up to us by announcing more high end merchandise (which they might at the hasbro pulse event at the end of this month). Maybe we can get a full scale proton pack to match the spenglers wand (I'd pay 300 for something like that) or the rumored RC Ghost trap!

Maybe put out the Ecto 1 and Firehouse Kenner Classics in the meantime. Something to keep the fans happy and appeased and spending money until the movie itself comes out!

I mean its only fair and we aren't asking for something for nothing. This will cost us money in the short term, but its a step in the right direction for us fans who have only waited over 30 plus years for this!
#4939203
That reads a bit entitled. We just got new figures of the original guys, the old toys and the Spengler Wand. The only reason you feel it should be more is because of an epidemic they could not have foreseen, which meant they had to smear out the goodies over a years instead of a few months. Unless they had plans, these things take a lot of time to plan, they cannot just release a firehouse just to appease the fans. We are not the only ones suffering here. This is a big problem for the studios as well, and pouring more money into this is a big risk.

On top of that, WW84 had to be delayed as well, so it's very possible the March date will be changed as well, depending on the world status. So you can't just say we will hear something soon, because it's a very tough call to make any kind of statement.
#4939207
Alphagaia wrote: September 14th, 2020, 9:31 am That reads a bit entitled. We just got new figures of the original guys, the old toys and the Spengler Wand. The only reason you feel it should be more is because of an epidemic they could not have foreseen, which meant they had to smear out the goodies over a years instead of a few months. Unless they had plans, these things take a lot of time to plan, they cannot just release a firehouse just to appease the fans. We are not the only ones suffering here. This is a big problem for the studios as well, and pouring more money into this is a big risk.

On top of that, WW84 had to be delayed as well, so it's very possible the March date will be changed as well, depending on the world status. So you can't just say we will hear something soon, because it's a very tough call to make any kind of statement.
wasnt my intent to sound entitled. I apologies on that front!
Alphagaia liked this
#4939209
The industry is still very disorganized too, and I think no studio really has a clear idea of how to proceed because none of us have lived through a situation like this. And to be perfectly frank, the film and tv industry in the US has long operated with some questionable practices in regards to health and safety. 16-18 hour days five to six times a week is far from healthy.
#4939210
In a recent interview with Carrie Coon, she described the Callie character in Ghostbusters: Afterlife:

"You know, she actually has a personality, a sense of humor and she does get in on the action, and that was really fun for me! I mean, I’m a Ghostbuster basically, which is insane! I grew up with that movie!”

https://collider.com/ghostbusters-after ... ce=twitter

It certainly sounds like she's going to be suiting up.
Alphagaia, Davideverona, Sav C and 3 others liked this
#4939211
Our Health Minister, Roberto Speranza, just made a cautious statement. He said that a vaccine will be ready this fall and Italy will be back to a fully normal life by Spring 2021.

It irks me a little that his name's translation is Robert Hope, shortened in Bob Hope, a comedian.

So, I don't know if he was making a statement or a joke.
Sav C, Dr.D, deadderek liked this
  • 1
  • 374
  • 375
  • 376
  • 377
  • 378
  • 398
Spengler Legacy pack build

More mods and some parts added. https://youtu.be/[…]

Well, the home stretch has become the finish line.[…]

I imagine Muon Trap was one of the phrases Da[…]

For all those, who want to dig deeper into moddi[…]