pchrisbosh1 wrote: ↑August 14th, 2020, 7:24 am Looks amazing sir. I love the attention to detail, its going to be a nice looking pack.Thanks Chris! With a shell that's so nice I had to make sure I brought my A game!
Had a couple deliveries this week, both zip ties and short Clippard barbs came in.
I saw this discussed in another thread as to which barbs were actually used in the movies, Dan pointed out that the 11752-3 is actually the correct barb. Here they are compared to the 11752-2
And by comparing the height of the base on the 11752-3 it seems to match with what was used on the movie packs.
So with the new barbs in I went to work putting the injector tubing on and finishing the line from the HGA to the beam line. Also for fun I took some of the dry rubs I have from Arron and added the Clippard stamping, looks good while I stay on the lookout for the correct vintage tubing. I also realize that my straights are crooked but that's just because I don't have them fastened with a nut from the back at the moment haha
JWils23 wrote: ↑August 4th, 2020, 9:54 am Thanks bud! Nope, they’re actual Legris elbows but they’re 3/16 instead of 4mm. Just slightly bigger but still hold the 4mm tubing well. There’s a guy on eBay who sells them pretty regularly, in fact he just put up a bunch last night. I went through and found the ones that looked the best (minimal cracking/wear) and snagged them.I recently grabbed a set from the same seller and really like them. Mine had a small amount of cracking but were otherwise in pretty good condition. Considering that they're vintage, dark grey, and gen 1, they're definitely the next best thing to vintage 4mm ones.
And excellent looking pack, can't wait to see it finished. I was also lucky enough to snag a bosh shell from this run which I commissioned a user here to build me a pack with. I'm super excited for it.
I got in touch with Arron and he was nice enough to send me two new labels for my filter and I really can't thank him enough. Once I knew I could get another label I set out stripping the old label and dry rub because I knew I'd have to strip it down and repaint. After about 45 mins with the steel wool I was ready to paint again, but the weather wasn't cooperating so I had to wait about a week and a half for temps and humidity to drop here before I could hit it again. But once it broke I painted again and the let it sit for about a week before putting it back on the pack.
Once back on I put the new label on, taking extreme care to mind my fingers and put a new dry rub on
And there she is, all back together! Now to take that bumper off and do some bondo and sanding work to clean it up...
Since my pack pulls a lot from the Spengler pack I thought this would be a fun little detail to add. I had already scooped up a vintage 701 for my thrower and after being encouraged by Dan to go for it I set out looking for another. Patience paid off and I was able to find a second which I just got yesterday. One has very heavy engraving of the Clippard name.
While the other is much finer
And here together
So now the question is which one on the pack and which one on the thrower?? I'm thinking the heavier engraving on the pack because it has the dimple on the cap similar to the spengler pack but I'm open to ideas. Any input is appreciated!
Great to see you back at it
I'd go with the one with the heavier engraving on the pack too, if its the closest match to the one on the Ramis Hero.
The depth and spacing of the knurling also seems to match the screen used example pretty well on that cap.
I didn’t even think about the knurling, it looks to be very close with the exception of the knurling stopping at the upper third of the set screw hole on mine and the lower third on the Spengler pack. It’s crazy the subtle variations of bevels and knurling each valve can have, even though they’re all the same valve (technically)!
Even if we are spoiled for parts these days.
Looking forward to the next update though, this pack is going to be the real deal.
It's nuts how inconsistent a lot of these parts can be.
even something as simple as the straights and banjos seem to have quite a bit of variation.
I know, there are so many inconsistencies on the same part. Which makes it fun to try and track down the right variant, but also annoying trying to track down the right variant haha!
Tried to recreate the position of the set screw as well. That's it for now, just little tweaks!
Demon Vice Commander wrote: ↑October 20th, 2020, 4:36 pmLove it! These little subtle details and oddities are what I love about building this.
Next it was onto replacing the red 4mm tubing running from the elbows to the straights. I took this as a chance to redo my attempt at replicating the spengler pack with the tubing zip tied to the split loom with and the sharper turn it takes coming out of the straight. Wanted to make sure I got the tubing running underneath the split loom right where the zip ties attaches as I wasn't exactly happy with how it turned out the first time.
At this point I think I need to redo the split loom running from the HGA to the Beam Line, I cut it a little long so it doesn't run in tight to the vac line like the Spengler pack does so that may be my next adventure.
Here is the current state of the pack. Most of the[…]
I am all about the packaging. I found a cheap vint[…]
That is awesome and thank you for communicating on[…]