Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
So here’s something interesting. There’s alloooot of chatter thru the grapevine of the next James Bond movie going to streaming, “No Time to Die”. I’ve heard MGM is hearing some absolutely massive numbers being thrown at them by multiple companies. I’m shocked no one has reported on this yet, because if I’m hearing it, then other people are too.

If MGM let’s up and James Bond goes to streaming...I don’t even want to think about it. The gauntlet would be thrown down. The floods gates opened. We haven’t seen something with the potential to reach over a billion dollars worldwide get sold to a streaming platform yet and that might just be the first major nail in theatricals coffin. The question then becomes, how many nails to close the box, and is one of them named “Ghostbusters: Afterlife”.

I know so many of you want this movie right now. But there’s no place I’d rather see a new Ghostbusters movie than in a packed theatre on opening night, ready and willing to enjoy the ride with some fellow movie goers & GB fans.
I would be pretty flabbergasted if No Time to Die went to streaming, although I guess the one thing that makes this (oddly enough) more believable than Ghostbusters: Afterlife is that MGM could actually "afford" (less in the financial sense, and more in the big picture sense) to sacrifice one James Bond movie. That series isn't going anywhere.
Some films will rest in the can on a shelf for years before release. Delaying a year or two after filming isnt as uncommon as you probably think. The studios can afford to keep hold of them for a while until things get better. If they pushed everything out to streaming now then we'd be having the same problem of a lack of content in a year or two as hardly any new films are being produced at the moment (at least not at the same pace as before). Hell, Roar spent 30+ years gathering dust before it got a release!
deadderek liked this
Mercifull wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 4:25 am Some films will rest in the can on a shelf for years before release. Delaying a year or two after filming isnt as uncommon as you probably think. The studios can afford to keep hold of them for a while until things get better. If they pushed everything out to streaming now then we'd be having the same problem of a lack of content in a year or two as hardly any new films are being produced at the moment (at least not at the same pace as before). Hell, Roar spent 30+ years gathering dust before it got a release!
Sony can, because they're a mega corporation who own more than a movie studio. But how long are they going to be willing to take a huge loss?
I would be happy with just a tweet from Jason showing good photos of the afterlife proton pack. I don't think that would spoil anything but would give us pack builders something to work on.
Prime 1986, groschopf liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 21st, 2020, 2:47 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: October 21st, 2020, 1:42 pm And there it goes.

June 11th, 2021.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ghos ... ssion=true
*Sigh*

It's a disappointing, but understandable and expected development.

Though there probably will be an extra sting in the tail for people in the United Kingdom and across Europe: June 11th is the first day of the rescheduled Euro 2020 tournament.
Ah man I hadn't considered the football. Damn you, football!
Kingpin liked this
RichardLess wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 11:53 pm So here’s something interesting. There’s alloooot of chatter thru the grapevine of the next James Bond movie going to streaming, “No Time to Die”. I’ve heard MGM is hearing some absolutely massive numbers being thrown at them by multiple companies. I’m shocked no one has reported on this yet, because if I’m hearing it, then other people are too.

If MGM let’s up and James Bond goes to streaming...I don’t even want to think about it. The gauntlet would be thrown down. The floods gates opened. We haven’t seen something with the potential to reach over a billion dollars worldwide get sold to a streaming platform yet and that might just be the first major nail in theatricals coffin. The question then becomes, how many nails to close the box, and is one of them named “Ghostbusters: Afterlife”.

I know so many of you want this movie right now. But there’s no place I’d rather see a new Ghostbusters movie than in a packed theatre on opening night, ready and willing to enjoy the ride with some fellow movie goers & GB fans.
Just saw an article today, so allegedly it's Apple TV+ and Netflix who are the top bidders.
https://www.cbr.com/james-bond-no-time- ... dding-war/
I was a wouldn't be surprised if Amazon Prime were interested in Bond. It is interesting because MGM has an Epix Now streaming service, I think unless it folded, but the bidding war would be potentially more lucrative for them. But have movies already released to a streaming service rather than theater had a 4K/Blu-ray release or are they only on the service?
Dr.D wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 10:55 pm Don't hold your breath...according to Erik Burnham he hasn't written anything GB related since 2019...
I think he was just making light of things, no way Erik would have a pile of scripts done. He's been working on new projects. He might have some pitches ready or at least discussed ideas with Tom but that's about it. Though with Afterlife's move, they would in theory have enough time to do an Annual issue -- might be a bit too tight to do a 4 issue mini before June.
Here's a slightly more authoritative source than CBR on No Time to Die, with MGM's desired price tag: a hefty $600m.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/jame ... 234814809/

Coming back around to believing Sony would take $250m for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Spent less on marketing than Bond, more potential merch opportunities they'd retain, plus home video, and no risk at the box office that audiences don't bite again.
deadderek liked this
I guess it just depends on how this whole COVID thing shakes out. Honestly, I don't see how next summer is going to be any different. The theaters are on life support and if they don't survive, where would the movies show in theaters if there are no theaters left?
The 007 thing is very surprising. I could understand them releasing a film straight to purchase or rent digitally to all services out there but I cannot understand them trying to sell it exclusively like that. And for 600 million too, which is just insane.
ecto88mph wrote: October 24th, 2020, 4:50 pm I guess it just depends on how this whole COVID thing shakes out. Honestly, I don't see how next summer is going to be any different. The theaters are on life support and if they don't survive, where would the movies show in theaters if there are no theaters left?
Alternately, even if we supposedly have a vaccine by then, I don't think people will go out in huge crowds right away and it will probably take a little while for things to go back to normal.

From there the studios will have to make a judgment call on if they feel its the right time to release their movies if the crowds are not fully there yet. I think from there it'll be the same tedious cat and mouse game we had over this summer where the big studios where unsure whether to release them in theaters (Like Warner with Tenet), release straight to digital to rent (like Disney did with Mulan) or delay them even longer. With each one waiting for the other studio to make the first move.

My feelings specifically with GB Afterlife is that, when we are closer to its July 11th 2021 date and if Sony again feels that it is still not the right time to release it in theaters, then it will go straight to digital rental rather then getting a new 4th release date. But who knew eh? Despite what I am saying here I am actually feeling quite optimistic about the future.
I think this spring we'll be in a much better situation than Spring 2020.

The Second Wave is in full swing right now and despite higher cases we have way less hospitalised people. Our government is deciding on some restrictions (bar and restaurants will have to close earlier, swimming pools and gymns will close, private parties with maximum 6 people.) but workplaces and schools will remain up and running.
Hairy Biker wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:01 pm Looking good here.
Third wave is done. Zero cases, zero deaths.
Bars, gyms, entertainment venues opening up tomorrow.
We've done well. If it weren't for mandatory masks we'd still be stuck.

Sony may need to consider international cinematic release and VoD in the US, like what they did with Face The Music.
Where are you from?

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]