Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By Rvonvolen
I'm working on my first pack right now, which will have a gb2 ribbon cable. My next build however will be much more accurate and have a gb1 cable, however I want to be able to make my own gb1 cable. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a jig for it or any other way to make it?
By Kingpin
That's really not like asking if there's a DIY way to make a CPU. I'd be inclined to agree if the ribbon cable was being designed to be a functional element, but in the last 5-10 years some fans have been especially industrious when it comes to assembling ribbon cable replicas.

Sadly this is only a teaser video, the actual DIY video has yet to be uploaded... But this should give you a bit of an idea how to do a jig:

Though worst comes to worst, you could always buy one from Fincher Technologies.
RedSpecial, NotSabbat liked this
By Rvonvolen
Kingpin wrote: February 8th, 2021, 6:18 am That's really not like asking if there's a DIY way to make a CPU. I'd be inclined to agree if the ribbon cable was being designed to be a functional element, but in the last 5-10 years some fans have been especially industrious when it comes to assembling ribbon cable replicas.

Sadly this is only a teaser video, the actual DIY video has yet to be uploaded... But this should give you a bit of an idea how to do a jig:

Though worst comes to worst, you could always buy one from Fincher Technologies.
Thanks kingpin, I actually scored one for thirty dollars on etsy. I count that to be a lucky find because I've seen them go up as far as 90 dollars. Its actually a pretty good quality cable.
Kingpin liked this
By LynxKim
Nice work!!

When do you think you’ll be posting a full tutorial video on how you did it and where you got the cables from? I’m kinda wanting to make my own as well and would love to get some insight. 🙏🏼
By Kingpin
LynxKim wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:43 am When do you think you’ll be posting a full tutorial video on how you did it and where you got the cables from? I’m kinda wanting to make my own as well and would love to get some insight. 🙏🏼
You'd have to ask Monkaboo Projects, they posted the preview vid back in August, but there may still be some time before they bring the project forward from the back burner.
By err404
I have a Fincher cable on my pack now, but as a place holder I had created a cable out of packing tape and printed paper. It may sound like a poor substitute for a proper cable, but it actually looked very good, even up fairly close. I actually liked the way it sat a bit better as the Fincher cable is a bit stiff.
Dont take this as a recommendation for a proper Hero pack, but for something more basic, or for a spirit pack, it’s an inexpensive and good looking option.
By gb phan
Fincher technologies gives a bit of a clue how they do it in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXsmnqtXHM.

I'm trying to make a GB 84 ribbon myself. I have the wires and a pretty good idea for the jig, but I am a bit stuck on how to laminate the wires so they don't move. I have been looking at a really big, clear heat shrink tube, but they are pretty expensive to buy just to experiment with. Has anyone else considered how this might be done?
By DarkSpectre
I've made 3 so far. For all of them I make 2 wood clock clamps on either end, stretch tight and then my wife covers them packing tape and then I hit them with a coat of clear Flex Seal. The only difference between mine and the real ones visually is that my white wires don't have colored stripes. And that's due to sourcing them from discarded bulk cabling from where I work. But outside of the GB prop community, no one has any clue
    Proton Props UK

Classic ‘whataboutery.’ This ban is l[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]