Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
philmorgan81 wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 3:51 am Okay Big Spoilers Ahead. I am sure that these are the pictures that were circulating and then vanished. 3C films put out this video a few days ago. Check out the 13 :40 mark in this video if you like. Again if you don't want to get spoiled go no further.

LINK REMOVED
This Post Contains Spoilers
Some posts from today and yesterday have been removed to tidy the thread up and, to remove some off-topic content I felt was not in the spirit of this community.

On the topic of film funding, there's also Uwe Boll, the German Director who was the scourge of the video game community for years because of all the awful, low-budget theatrical adaptations he'd make of well-regarded games... He employed a tax shelter which, in his words, would let him "get basically fifty percent "(of an investment)" back from the government."
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
Dr.D wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 11:55 am Not sure that's the best move for WB...especially considering HBO Max hasn't been the juggernaut they expected it to be.
They're clearly hoping this will be the thing that propels it. Whether or not it works, after the terrible return and PR they got over sticking to theaters wuth Tenet, it's hard to blame them.
Alphagaia wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 2:35 am Wait. They wouldn't be selling Afterlife to Netflix, right? They would be renting it. Why would merchandise and such be part of the deal?
What I'm saying is this:

If a streamer buys a movie from a studio, there are various routes to go with this. The studio could sell the movie wholesale to the streamer, and own none of it, like Paramount selling The Lovebirds to Netflix. As far as I know, Netflix now owns 100% of that movie, and Paramount owns 0%.

When it comes to Ghostbusters: Afterlife, obviously, Sony is not going to sell the movie outright. So then you move toward something more like Cloverfield Paradox. Paramount sold the streaming rights to that film to Netflix, but they retained the Cloverfield IP and the right to release the film on physical media. That's closest to what would theoretically happen with any Afterlife deal.

The only reason I mention merch is because merch is obviously a big component of not only this movie's marketing, but also the IP in general, with Sony having crossed (if I remember correctly) the billion-dollar mark sometime around 2009 -- way more than all the movie revenue put together. I don't think a streamer would ask for merch profit, but it's possible they would try and angle for a percentage (Marvel, for example, kept 100% of Spider-Man merch profits even on movies that are made by Sony, and in this case Sony would have that end of the leverage).
RichardLess wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 6:17 am But hey, whatever. If you believe, cool. Have fun. You’re pretty much living the dream of every young GBfan, minus the cool car & proton pack. Just some quick advice. If you spot a ghost and it asks you if you’re a god, you say YES!
Well, you're right about not having proton packs...

SpaceBallz wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 5:09 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 6:17 am But hey, whatever. If you believe, cool. Have fun. You’re pretty much living the dream of every young GBfan, minus the cool car & proton pack. Just some quick advice. If you spot a ghost and it asks you if you’re a god, you say YES!

Oh please tell me you actually show up to calls in that car! Please!

That is so effing cool. You investigate the paranormal and have a ghostbusters car.

10 year old Richardless(which is basically the same as 32 year old Richardless) is envious.
RichardLess wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 5:40 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 5:09 pm

Oh please tell me you actually show up to calls in that car! Please!

That is so effing cool. You investigate the paranormal and have a ghostbusters car.

10 year old Richardless(which is basically the same as 32 year old Richardless) is envious.
Oh we definitely take it :-D
deadderek, Sav C liked this
So I'm sitting here building my Lego Ecto.... Haha!... Anyway, so far we've proven the accuracy of the sliding chair, but Lego threw in the easter egg of a bag of SP Marshmallows....what if the bag is actually found in the car AND thats how the SP minis are born....created... You get what I mean.

Probably not but I'd laugh if I was right.
deadderek, Alphagaia, groschopf and 2 others liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: December 4th, 2020, 2:10 am So I'm sitting here building my Lego Ecto.... Haha!... Anyway, so far we've proven the accuracy of the sliding chair, but Lego threw in the easter egg of a bag of SP Marshmallows....what if the bag is actually found in the car AND thats how the SP minis are born....created... You get what I mean.

Probably not but I'd laugh if I was right.
I can actually see the whole scene happening.

They park the car in the garage after a successful bust. Kids discuss next course of action in the house.

Meanhwile: SLOW and LOW PAN towards the car.
The FRONTDOOR MOVES as if opened by an invisible hand.
PACK of Marshmallows lays on the floor.
It TWITCHES. Lights flicker. The PACK seems to FILL up with air, as if DRAWING BREATH like a lung.
It suddenly BREAKS OPEN with a loud pop and CANDY spills out over the FLOOR.
Rolling around, two pieces MELT TOGETHER when they meet to form a FAMILIAR HEAD and TORSO.
ARMS BREAK OUT of the torso, FLAILING around uncontrollable like a BABY.
We hear more alien SCREAMS as more BODIES start to FORM and gain control of their LIMBS, while the CAMERA MOVES BACK until a solo PROTON PACK comes into view, keeping the marshmallows in sight.
The HORDE starts MOVING TOWARDS it.

Feels a bit like the kitchen scene from GB.
Last edited by Alphagaia on December 4th, 2020, 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Loosely related but Warner Brothers is dumping all its movie releases onto HBO Max for 2021.

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-to- ... taneously/

Wonder how the other studios will respond to this.
With the vaccine on the way as well as the USA is going to push for mask wearing for 100 days, hopefully we can get shit together so that come June we'll all be able to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife in theaters as it's meant to be seen.

Speculating about any type of online or streaming release at this point is...pointless.
Alphagaia, Davideverona liked this
I get you don't want to hear about online streaming that doesn't make it an invalid topic. There will still be enough people who aren't ready to go into theaters even with the vaccine available. Chances of a dual release of theater's and digital is bound to be likely.

I'd also like to see our elected leaders follow their own guidelines when it comes to Covid. Then again if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass when it hopped. Speculating is all we do in this topic. Whats the point of stopping the discussion about streaming?
I guess until it happens or not, there's only a finite amount of speculation we can generate on whether Afterlife will get streamed or not.

My (largely uninfirmed) view is Sony will keep it pegged for a cinematic release... If it does end up on a on-demand service, it'll be at the last possible moment because Sony's had no other choice.
timeware, deadderek liked this
I want the theatrical release just as everyone else does.

If Sony decides not to do dual release, They have to make up for the covid weary audiences .

they have to make up that gap in the sale of merch. If they don't start advertising in two to three months that's a lot of ground to make up in terms of sales.
Prime 1986 liked this
Snowwinterie wrote: December 4th, 2020, 11:56 am
Bison256 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 11:33 am So question: which streaming service has the rights to ghostbusters 1 & 2?
Sling has the rights for ghostbusters 1 & 2
I didn't know dish network had a streaming service, it looks like its one of the third tier services that not many folks care about.
If Afterlife goes to streaming then one of the big wig streaming services will snatch up the rights to all of them I'm sure. Amazon did it with Bill & Ted.
I don't care if the stream says 4k, it's not the same as a 4K Blu-ray. I would have to imagine for a lot of fans streaming is a non factor. It's a movie they have to see in theater and have to own physically. With streaming though I wonder if you'll pick up casual fans that weren't planning to see in theaters. Regardless of covid, if you have a family of five it's a $150 couple of hours after snacks.. One marketing two platforms. I would only be upset if it's available only on stream. I don't want to have to avoid any "Han Solo dies" until it comes out on UHD Blu-ray
deadderek, Kingpin liked this

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]