Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
The fact Slimer and Muncher are both connected seems enforced by the fact they are bundled together as toys, but who knows in what way.
It could be seen just like a pokemon toy that sells all evolved versions of itself in the same box.
Muncher seems to have the same apatite as Slimer, is connected to slime as we can see from the toys and shares such a similar look lots of us initially thought it was slimer in the trailer at first.
Still could mean something else, but it does add up.
If that's the case Slimer's going to be pretty Hangry having been trapped in that Ghost trap all these years. Lord knows what kind of paranormal enegy he absorbed from Egon's lab.

Hear that Sony? That's perfect product placing opportunity without looking desperate. Unlike this:

I think Slimer and Muncher are two different entities. The box art with Muncher having slime ooze out of his mouth is just creative license I think. There are also Stay Puft and Terror Dog toys that ooze slime from their mouths, but I don't think that this actually happens in the film. Again, just creative license to sell toys.

With that said, unlike Slimer, it seems Muncher has an apetite for metal instead of real food. Come to think of it, the Muncher we see being chased by the Ecto-1 and the kids appears smaller than the Muncher we get a glimpsed of in the abandoned warehouse. Perhaps he eats some of this metal used to build Gozer's temple and it causes him to grow/become more aggressive.

I still predict that Muncher and his appetite for eating metal will factor into the finale somehow. I could see Gozer being on the cusp of returning when Phoebe gets the idea to release Muncher, he eats the entire temple, causing the portal to collapse in on itself. Heck, that might be why Spengler had Muncher stashed away in a ghost trap instead of dumping him in a containment unit. He wanted Muncher to be on hand as needed.
pizzarat, Chicken, He Clucked and 1 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:44 am I think Slimer and Muncher are two different entities. The box art with Muncher having slime ooze out of his mouth is just creative license I think.
Muncher on the slime lab box art shows him regurgitating slime and Slimer. Still could mean a lot, but there is definitely a connection between the two.

Why are tardigrades the new cool look in syfy nowadays?
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 21st, 2021, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonXCTrack wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:44 am I think Slimer and Muncher are two different entities. The box art with Muncher having slime ooze out of his mouth is just creative license I think. There are also Stay Puft and Terror Dog toys that ooze slime from their mouths, but I don't think that this actually happens in the film. Again, just creative license to sell toys.

With that said, unlike Slimer, it seems Muncher has an apetite for metal instead of real food. Come to think of it, the Muncher we see being chased by the Ecto-1 and the kids appears smaller than the Muncher we get a glimpsed of in the abandoned warehouse. Perhaps he eats some of this metal used to build Gozer's temple and it causes him to grow/become more aggressive.

I still predict that Muncher and his appetite for eating metal will factor into the finale somehow. I could see Gozer being on the cusp of returning when Phoebe gets the idea to release Muncher, he eats the entire temple, causing the portal to collapse in on itself. Heck, that might be why Spengler had Muncher stashed away in a ghost trap instead of dumping him in a containment unit. He wanted Muncher to be on hand as needed.
That's a cool theory I hadn't thought about.
Forbes says Sony let go of Connected/The Mitchells vs. The Machines for $110m. Variety echoes Kingpin's inability to get an official budget. I still think that suggests that it's somewhat possible that Sony would consider giving Ghostbusters: Afterlife to a streamer for $150-200m ($110m is only twice or just over a hypothetical $50m-$100m budget), although, again, the deal would potentially have to be more complicated if Sony is going to retain home video, merch, and the IP (it sounds like a full sale, but it would be interesting to know if Sony is going to release discs for this).

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but at that point, there's the question of whether or not a streaming service would find Ghostbusters: Afterlife to be a sure enough bet with a potentially $200m price tag to be worth buying. If we get to the point where Sony is considering selling part of something as high profile as this movie, I think that'll be the rub: how much Sony believes they could get out of this as a successful venture versus how much potential a buyer sees in it. I know we're all excited about it, but I would be shocked if anyone here felt confident enough to put money on this being a smash hit, given the wake of 2016 and the hit-and-miss performance of legacy sequels recently. I think Sony, in addition to them owning the IP, is hoping that this would be a success in the vein of the Jumanji reboot...but then they made a sequel that cost more, made less, and seemed to capture less of the audience's attention. Would be very interested to hear their current POV on Afterlife's commercial prospects, especially as a summer movie with a hundred moving marketing parts that were all thrown into disarray by the pandemic.
pizzarat liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:44 am I think Slimer and Muncher are two different entities. The box art with Muncher having slime ooze out of his mouth is just creative license I think. There are also Stay Puft and Terror Dog toys that ooze slime from their mouths, but I don't think that this actually happens in the film. Again, just creative license to sell toys.

I really like this. Its a very Real Ghostbusters ending. I could totally see that happening.

If the kids get multiple confrontations with Muncher then he could be their first bust. If he keeps re-appearing (either traps breaking or he can dematerialise somehow), then I expect there could be a larger, menacing Stay Puft style version we haven't seen yet. Big enough to eat an Ecto?

I could see the climax split between the kids busting godzilla Muncher and the oldies dealing with whatever Gozer threat there may be.

Or not. I guess there might be more than one new ghost in the movie.
JonXCTrack wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:27 pm Has anyone obtained a copy of the Empire magazine yet? If so, is there any new information revealed?
I have it. No new information per se, but there is this lovely quote from Jason;
This Post Contains Spoilers
BatDan, Davideverona, mrmichaelt and 5 others liked this
One thing that does leave me with maybe a smidge of trepidation, is how well Jason was able to rebuff Murray's force of will. The stories from Ghostbusters: The Video Game still linger in my mind, and I hope Murray didn't try to make things more difficult than they had to be for Jason.

Interesting to note that Jason is actually 5 years older than his dad was when he directed the original film.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote: January 21st, 2021, 4:27 pm One thing that does leave me with maybe a smidge of trepidation, is how well Jason was able to rebuff Murray's force of will. The stories from Ghostbusters: The Video Game still linger in my mind, and I hope Murray didn't try to make things more difficult than they had to be for Jason.

Interesting to note that Jason is actually 5 years older than his dad was when he directed the original film.
Did you watch the midnight's edge video about Murray? He's always hard to deal with. Still love his work thought.
Reddit spoilers
robbritton wrote: January 21st, 2021, 3:49 pm
JonXCTrack wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:27 pm Has anyone obtained a copy of the Empire magazine yet? If so, is there any new information revealed?
I have it. No new information per se, but there is this lovely quote from Jason;
I dont wanna get my hopes up so early in the hype game. But..that makes me giddy. Cant help it.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]