Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
The fact that the RPJ theme exists in universe and was written in response to the guys novelty fame is one of GB2’s best gags. Even having it be an extrapolation of a sixties song undermines the impact of that subtext. “The Ghostbusters were so successful in ‘84 that a guy got a spontaneous pop hit out of it” is succinct and perfect enough.

If it’s a version of an old 45 recommended by the Ghostbusters themselves, then it doesn’t have quite the same weight. They were meant to be a pop-culture phenomenon, not dudes who’d have to commission their own song.

(And I say this as someone Who finds the cynical marketing nous of Venkman to be one of the core things that makes Ghostbusters so funny: the big garish sign and logo, the endless interviews and covers, the actual scrolling marquee on Ecto-1A, for heavens sake! I love it all, but the song didn’t feel part of that. The song felt like a response to their fame.)

But yeah, I don’t know the actual context and I’m likely tilting at windmills. It’s probably nothing I’ve said above and totally fine. Speculation drives a person bananas, eh?
Kingpin, Dr.D, Wafflerobot liked this
robbritton wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:16 am The fact that the RPJ theme exists in universe and was written in response to the guys novelty fame is one of GB2’s best gags. Even having it be an extrapolation of a sixties song undermines the impact of that subtext. “The Ghostbusters were so successful in ‘84 that a guy got a spontaneous pop hit out of it” is succinct and perfect enough.
The gag still works if the '84 song is a spontaneous hit cover of an old 60's record. That's still a response to their fame - I don't think it implies they actively commissioned it, though maybe the film will elaborate.

Their business name being reference to an old version of the RPJ song adds another fun layer to this film filling in the gaps from the first movie.

I like the idea of a 60's version of the Ghostbusters track, plus it makes a lot of sense thematically if we're right about the link between granddaughter and grandfather.

Everything leaking about this movie so far has been great, imo.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: February 27th, 2021, 5:41 am
robbritton wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:16 am The fact that the RPJ theme exists in universe and was written in response to the guys novelty fame is one of GB2’s best gags. Even having it be an extrapolation of a sixties song undermines the impact of that subtext. “The Ghostbusters were so successful in ‘84 that a guy got a spontaneous pop hit out of it” is succinct and perfect enough.
The gag still works if the '84 song is a spontaneous hit cover of an old 60's record. That's still a response to their fame - I don't think it implies they actively commissioned it, though maybe the film will elaborate.

Their business name being reference to an old version of the RPJ song adds another fun layer to this film filling in the gaps from the first movie.

I like the idea of a 60's version of the Ghostbusters track, plus it makes a lot of sense thematically if we're right about the link between granddaughter and grandfather.

Everything leaking about this movie so far has been great, imo.
It can work, but you have to stretch to make it work when it already worked fine. Seems a bit unnecessary.
I was at work last night and did some reading up on the production of GB2 and saw something interesting: due to the popularity of the cartoon, the production didn't wanna ignore the show with the 5-year out of business gap, so they wanted it to appear that everything in the cartoon happened AFTER the sequel, making the cartoon Canon. Maybe that'll factor into Afterlife somehow.

philmorgan81, Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 27th, 2021, 12:56 pm Metjuck's idea is an interesting one, but it just doesn't work suggesting the whole run of RGB up to Partners in Slime took place immediately after Ghostbusters II.
To say nothing of episodes like "Citizen Ghost" and "Take Two".

Ah well, at least someone was at least trying to sorta keep everything working.
Kingpin, Sav C, SpaceBallz liked this
timeware wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:08 pm Hey guys. Think I'll be fully recovered by next week.
Great news! Glad you're on the mend.
SpaceBallz wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:31 am I was at work last night and did some reading up on the production of GB2 and saw something interesting: due to the popularity of the cartoon, the production didn't wanna ignore the show with the 5-year out of business gap, so they wanted it to appear that everything in the cartoon happened AFTER the sequel, making the cartoon Canon. Maybe that'll factor into Afterlife somehow.

Well that would be something. I think Grobberson's line, "New York in the eighties, it was like the Walking Dead." summerizes the cultural impact the Ghostbusters had in universe.

It would be easy for me to accept a form of the cartoons adventures happened in the film's universe. They just unraveled in a very different matter than from the cartoon. I always figured that was what the montages were for. Hell even the cartoon had a few montages LOL!

It would be fun, but I would be very suprised if they made any kind of reference to the cartoons, much the same way they are not likely to reference the events of the video game. Again just because the events are not referenced doesn't mean they didn't happen in some form. It's completely up in the air. :):):)

The Gunner Seat and RTV in this movie really feel RGB to me. That's probably why I love it so much. It totally reminds me of the Roof Blaster Proton Canon and the Ghost Traps that come out of panels on the side of the Ecto 1 from the cartoon. The Gunner Seat and RTV just feel like a natural progression that could fit in both worlds of the film and cartoon. :):):)
Alphagaia wrote:Same tired 4-chan leak as before, now told instead of written, with non sensual playsets that we already had confirmation they don't exist.
What do you mean these playsets don't exist? They all sounded pretty accurate to me, especially the Lego stuff. But even the other toys, sounded pretty credible to me.

As for the plot, i hope it's true. It sounds fantastic.
MikeyJ122 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 8:32 pm What do you mean these playsets don't exist?
Derek asked Eric about the sets at the heart of that rumour, and here's his account of the exchange:
deadderek wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:14 pm So anyways I asked Eric (Ghost Corps) about the alleged Lego sets and he said they're full of it and "I WISH we had multiple lego sets coming."
They sound believable because the rumour's cobbled together mostly from stuff that's already leaked from the movie: the Shandor mine, the farm house and Wrecto-1... It's a similar approach to the cold reading used by phony psychics, sprinkling in just enough true bits to make it sound plausible (though often in the case of Afterlife, the biggest tells the rumour is likely baloney is if it fails to provide names for Logan and Celeste's characters).

The Firehouse/portal rumour has not gained a lot of traction because it sounds too much like fanfiction fan service. If Gozer were to portal the guys back to New York (and why would it do that?), wouldn't it make more sense to send them to its previous base of operations in Manhattan, Dana's apartment building?
SpaceBallz wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:31 am I was at work last night and did some reading up on the production of GB2 and saw something interesting: due to the popularity of the cartoon, the production didn't wanna ignore the show with the 5-year out of business gap, so they wanted it to appear that everything in the cartoon happened AFTER the sequel, making the cartoon Canon. Maybe that'll factor into Afterlife somehow.

For context, this is from Wikipedia and this is an interpretation of a quote from a Joe Medjuck interview on Beyond the Marquee posted on September 15, 2014, "We didn’t want to contradict the cartoon show although we sort of did since the guys are out of work in Ghostbusters II. In the second movie it’s like there’s been five years since there was a ghost around and you almost have to say the cartoon show takes place after the second movie."
https://web.archive.org/web/20190809151 ... .com/34747
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
The series following GB II is slightly contradicted by Citizen Ghost, but I suppose you could also split the series up before and after with a gap.

I might offer this theory:

There are 173 episodes of the show, which works out to be approximately half a year with a few weeks extra give it take for the episodes with 1-2 day arcs or when business has been slow.

It’s not really specified how long the legal proceedings took for them getting sued and shut down. That could have taken 6 months to a year maybe?
Plus other incidents from the series could have been included in the case against them.

SO maybe they were out of business for 3-4 years?
Series still fits in the gap! Maybe?
Ectojeff88 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 12:42 pm The series following GB II is slightly contradicted by Citizen Ghost, but I suppose you could also split the series up before and after with a gap.

I might offer this theory:

There are 173 episodes of the show, which works out to be approximately half a year with a few weeks extra give it take for the episodes with 1-2 day arcs or when business has been slow.

It’s not really specified how long the legal proceedings took for them getting sued and shut down. That could have taken 6 months to a year maybe?
Plus other incidents from the series could have been included in the case against them.

SO maybe they were out of business for 3-4 years?
Series still fits in the gap! Maybe?
That's more or less what I did in my headcanon: the two year "gap" between GB1's release and the debut of RGB is "moved" to after the 1988 season.
1983: GB1 happens
1984: Events of Season 1 (1986) and part of 2 (1987) (The movie comes out during all this per "Take Two")
1985: Events of the other half of Season 2 and all of 3 (1987)
1986: Events of Season 4 (1988). The lawsuits finally catch up with them in the middle of year (1988 season was short)
1986-1988: Ghostbusters go out of business for two years
Late 1988/New Years 1989: Vigo happens, Ghostbusters back in business.

Bump everything a year later if that works better for you, of course. :whatever:
Kingpin wrote: March 1st, 2021, 9:19 am
JonXCTrack wrote: March 1st, 2021, 8:48 am Someone has created timelines, and done a pretty decent job of it too:

http://www.ectozone.com/gbtimeline/
He most certainly did. ;)
Man, I'm blushing over here.

:blush:

That's all just one internet loudmouth's set of interpretations, of course. It doesn't mean anything to anybody unless you want it too, and of course is completely unofficial.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, Wafflerobot and 2 others liked this
Fritz wrote:
Kingpin wrote: March 1st, 2021, 9:19 amHe most certainly did. ;)
Man, I'm blushing over here.

:blush:

That's all just one internet loudmouth's set of interpretations, of course. It doesn't mean anything to anybody unless you want it too, and of course is completely unofficial.
I wasn't aware that the Ectozone Timelines was created by you (with the help of others) until now. But I think you do a pretty good job of putting it all together. Each new medium that's put out adds another wrinkle to the mix. The IDW comics must have really thrown a wrench into things.

For years I subscribed to the theory that the RGB/EGB universe is the Prime universe, and the movies and video game exist within it as tales based upon the events of the Ghostbusters. The RGB episode Take-Two was really the driving force in that belief. But the IDW comics treats its universe as the Prime universe, so that makes it even more complicated.
I perfer it the way IDW did it. It is kind of meta actually: the movie started it all thus every other universe splits off from there. But it should be noted Caddyshack was referenced in crossing over. The various teenage mutant ninja turtles shows are shown to be parallel universes too. Implying that every book, movie and tv show in RL exists as a parallel timeline with in the multiverse.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
I know it's my conspiracy theory but I feel that the Firehouse set recreation done for QuickBooks was just a little too well done for a small commercial shoot.

As expected for a commercial there's next to zero behind the scenes info on it.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
deadderek wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 12:36 am I know it's my conspiracy theory but I feel that the Firehouse set recreation done for QuickBooks was just a little too well done for a small commercial shoot.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
This and that Sony new tech where they showed the Ecto-1 outside the Firehouse.

*put a tinfoil hat over the previous tinfoil hat*
deadderek, SpaceBallz liked this
deadderek wrote:I know it's my conspiracy theory but I feel that the Firehouse set recreation done for QuickBooks was just a little too well done for a small commercial shoot.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*
I agree. And it was a near exact replica of Venkman's office from GB1, not GB2. This, to me, signals a flashback of sorts.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]