So I managed to spray over the epoxy welds pretty smoothly. And just like that I'm ready to reassemble this sucker.
So putting it back together had a few speed bumps, a few rounded screws but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I lightly weathered the parts that would usually be aluminium underneath and used a burnt umber wash on the bare metal parts and stickers to give it a used look. I'll be swapping the grey crank knob for a black one and keep the other for a future GB1 pack. Ill put the lenses in once I've sorted out the pack lights and I'm still waiting on the rest of the labels to arrive as well as the electronics.
So until then, at least I have this to look at...
Justin threw in an Afterlife style front grip too, top stuff!
I also ordered the aluminium knobs I was missing, as well as 2 pop catches and some custom banjoes from Freekygeeky which arrived at the same time. As I'm planning on a superhero pack down the line I've made my own nycoil style banjoes as they are like unicorn excrement to find!
The main complication to figure out is the pop mech, as TC's front handle design is slighlty different to most, although it has been made a bit easier now that the grip is now seperate to the handle. I'll be pouring over Freekygeekys installation guide for sure.
Attached the rear handle pending epoxy weld,
Attached instrument bar cover,
Attached rear cylinder and barbs
Attached top knob and side knob,
Drilled out holes for green lever, hat lights, switches, vent, arco lights, front knob, trigger box,
Drilled and tapped the 2 screws with brass spacers to attach the front handle.
Drilled and tapped the base plate holes , plus attached v hook and s hook
Rounded the heatsink fins for giggles.
Still need to mount the trigger box, which I'm waiting for some 6/32 bolts for and I need to dremel out a part of the inner wall to allow the front knob bolt to sit straight.
Plus grips need attaching; the front one of which needs a channel dremeled out to fit over TC's new handle which has a raised channel on the outside of the handle for wires to be routed through under the grip.
And once again waiting for a few more parts and electronics to be delivered to finish the dry fit of the wand, plus I need the acrylic barrel to sort out the pop mech tube and set up the catch and lever.
Managed to put together as much of the thrower as I can, apart from the inner pop tube once I get the acrylic tube and the electronics.
I'm thinking I should be able to paint the thrower unless I've missed anything. Plus sorting out the pop tube will be a challenge as the inside diameter of the static centre tube is 7/8 which is the same o/d as the acrylic tube, so full need a 7/8 aluminium tube for the pop tube and somehow attach the acrylic tube to the end of it. I'm thinking a 5/8 hollow dowel to connect the two?
I've started working on my pop tube, big thanks to tobycj for sending me a custom made acrylic dowel.
So I've drilled and tapped through the pop tube, into the dowel, which will be the same for the frosted barrel once I get it. Using grub screws to secure them and 1 regular bolt to act as the guide. Once I get the frosted barrel I can mark and cut the slit in the static tube and cut the pop tube down to size as needed.
Tobycj drilled a hole for routing the wire for the barrel led through which will require some hackery but should be simple enough. Plus having the guide screw not directly into the frosted barrel should help avoid it cracking, as this dowel is sturdy AF
To try and recreate the look of the original grips I found this Army Painter Fur Brown primer, which hopefully will be close enough in colour for when I come to weather the grips.
I managed to squeeze in some painting in between the rain, layed down the silver undercoat and the black top coat.
I left the paint to cure for a day, then I attached the rear handle and made the epoxy fake weld using a paper clip to make the bead. It turned out fairly well.
Just waiting for another break in the weather to paint over the weld and painting will be officially done! In the meantime I've been working on the pop mech....
At first glance I'm super excited to have aluminum[…]
Greetings! I don't imagine my uniform work in pr[…]
A little update. I managed to squeeze in some pai[…]
There was (as of Thursday May 6th) a whole palle[…]