Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
A new article on why big blockbusters are better off with theatrical releases instead of streaming:
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/james-b ... ie-netflix

Simply put: that's where the real money is. It's annoying seeing day after day on social media people whining for a V.O.D. release when that's just not where the real bang for the buck is.
groschopf, Alphagaia, Sav C and 4 others liked this
deadderek wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:31 am It's annoying seeing day after day on social media people whining for a V.O.D. release when that's just not where the real bang for the buck is.
I get people's frustration with the delays, but I agree you -- if we really want more Ghostbusters content, this has to be a big success. And dumping it online does not make films like this a big success.

Not only is there less money in that, there's a lower likelihood that an audience will stay engaged when anything in their home can distract them for paying attention for longer than a streaming television show.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
deadderek wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:31 am A new article on why big blockbusters are better off with theatrical releases instead of streaming:

Simply put: that's where the real money is. It's annoying seeing day after day on social media people whining for a V.O.D. release when that's just not where the real bang for the buck is.
I wouldn't call it whining. Do you blame people right now? I'm still debating if i'm going to brave the theatre to see Mortal Kombat. I'm not eligable for the vaccine for another rmonth.

Yeah, Grocery store trips are a necessity that cant be helped. With how bad I got hit with Covid I doubt I could survive another round of it, and that was on top of ammonia. It's still being released in November. If thing's aren't back to normalish by then we'll just have to face the possibility of a dual release whether we want it or not.
I took an infusion so that's why I can't get it for another month. I'm still on Oxygen but I don't have to wear it all day. Just at night now.

I get Derek's position on this. I'm not saying there needs to be an early release which would be nice...At least to me a dual release during a pandemic should be a no brainer. As for people being distracted in their homes during the movie all that matters is they bought it right?

The advantage to having it at home is you don't have to deal with a crying kid, a dude in a cowboy hat that reaches the ceiling, cell phone conversations, oh and did I mention crying kid's?
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
Well I could join in this debate about the definition of whining but I'd rather have a

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

As we've waited 30 years for this film most of us had some expectations of what it would be like to finally have GB3 premiere so let's talk expectations vs reality. Fill in the blanks.

LEADING UP TO THE PREMIERE I EXPECTED __________ BUT NEVER EXPECTED _________.

EXPECTED: to be shopping for Kenner figures NEVER EXPECTED: it'd be in my thirties.
EXPECTED: the film to happen NEVER EXPECTED: the cast I'm used to would be a surprise in the film
EXPECTED: I would be excited NEVER EXPECTED: I would be this excited!
Alphagaia, Sav C, deadderek liked this
Coover5 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:20 am Well I could join in this debate about the definition of whining but I'd rather have a

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

As we've waited 30 years for this film most of us had some expectations of what it would be like to finally have GB3 premiere so let's talk expectations vs reality. Fill in the blanks.

LEADING UP TO THE PREMIERE I EXPECTED __________ BUT NEVER EXPECTED _________.

EXPECTED: to be shopping for Kenner figures NEVER EXPECTED: it'd be in my thirties.
EXPECTED: the film to happen NEVER EXPECTED: the cast I'm used to would be a surprise in the film
EXPECTED: I would be excited NEVER EXPECTED: I would be this excited!
Everything you said and I'll add

EXPECTED: a new flush of various merchandise
NEVER EXPECTED: Jason Reitman to direct, Bill Murray to be SO excited about the movie, Dan Aykroyd to be SO silent about the movie. Maybe Sony locked him away in a container in their lot until November.
Coover5, Sav C, Timo liked this
timeware wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:36 am I wouldn't call it whining.
I'm happy to. You can present a well-reasoned argument about why a cinema release is better for the franchise's future, and the better box-office return... But you'll still get rebuffed with the lazy retort of "Sony's just being greedy!".

At this point the majority of calls for it to be released to a streaming service have become a collective whine.
Coover5 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:20 am LEADING UP TO THE PREMIERE I EXPECTED __________ BUT NEVER EXPECTED _________.
Leading up to the premier I expected to get a new movie and some new merchandise. I didn't expect to get a big-ass LEGO Ecto-1, Extreme Ghostbusters and select episodes of The Real Ghostbusters on the official YouTube channel (they weren't likely part of the original pre-covid plan, but I'll take them), or Ghostbusters Christmas village items.
Coover5, deadderek, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 20th, 2021, 4:26 pm
timeware wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:36 am I wouldn't call it whining.
I'm happy to. You can present a well-reasoned argument about why a cinema release is better for the franchise's future, and the better box-office return... But you'll still get rebuffed with the lazy retort of "Sony's just being greedy!".

At this point the majority of calls for it to be released to a streaming service have become a collective whine.
I never said they couldn't do both. It makes good financial sense.
deadderek wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:31 am A new article on why big blockbusters are better off with theatrical releases instead of streaming:

Yeah and it's annoying seeing people whining about people asking for V.O.D.

Millions of people are dead from a pandemic. How many of them were Ghostbusters fans who won't get to see Afterlife? How many are going to die in the next 6 months without being able to see it?

Even vaccinated I wont be going to the cinema to see it since I don't want to spread it to other people if I catch it. All of the spoilers are going to be plastered all over the internet literally hours after it comes out and all of the magic will be lost for people like me who don't want to go to the cinema.

Spare a thought...
Wafflerobot liked this
Retail for a new 4k UHD/Blu-Ray/Digital is what $25?

My friends and I go to the movie in groups so you figure:

6 adults at $12 each for evening tickets.

$72

Or 1 one us buys the disc and Sony gets $25.

Even if you take into account the studio and theater split tickets at 50% each:

Sony gets $36 for the tickets versus $25 for the disc.

$11 doesn't sound like much? Well when it's times a few million it sure does.

Streaming may be convenient but for the big bucks...for now....there's more money to be made in a theatrical release.

Want to stream it? Okay you'll just have to be patient. By now it's pretty clear GBA is pushing for a full theatrical release and no amount of whining on the internet is going to change their mind.
Kingpin, Alphagaia, Timo liked this
TheLegendOfMart wrote: April 21st, 2021, 12:55 am All of the spoilers are going to be plastered all over the internet literally hours after it comes out and all of the magic will be lost for people like me who don't want to go to the cinema.

Spare a thought...
That's been going on for about 20 years or so. Spoilers are out almost immediately when a movie comes out. That's completely normal.

Sucks? Yes. I've had a couple movies spoiled for me...but it's how things are.
Sonys just going to have to accept they arent going to make as much money as they think.

Even best case scenario that most people are vaccinated life isn't going to return to normal by November. There is going to be a lot of people who wont go to the cinema because they don't want to risk catching it or spreading it.
TheLegendOfMart wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:18 am Sonys just going to have to accept they arent going to make as much money as they think.

Even best case scenario that most people are vaccinated life isn't going to return to normal by November. There is going to be a lot of people who wont go to the cinema because they don't want to risk catching it or spreading it.
They ran the numbers and it's all good obviously.
Davideverona, Alphagaia, groschopf and 1 others liked this
Even a half-full cinema screen is still likely to generate more of a return than a whole screen's worth of people watching it on a streaming service at home.
It may not be the full return Sony wants, but it'll at least improve the movie's prospects financially.
Davideverona, deadderek, groschopf and 3 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 21st, 2021, 7:50 am Annie Potts speaks.

https://amp.toofab.com/2021/04/20/annie ... stbusters/
I really, really like when she mentioned “revisiting the years in between” and it being “trippy”. Maybe that will have some bearing on the exposition between GBII and Afterlife.
Davideverona, deadderek, Wafflerobot and 1 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 21st, 2021, 11:13 am I'm intrigued by the fact that Ernie and Annie have their names in the main cast, while Dan and Bill haven't.
I remember some speculation that Winston and Janine were married, but I think that was the troll account on Twitter.
That was crap.

I think either Janine married Egon later in life or she's the keeper of all his (and Ghostbusters Inc.) notes on Gozer and Shandor from 1984.

Winston could be the most available Ghostbuster to come to help. I imagine Ray having difficulties leaving New York because he wants to keep an eye on the Containment Unit and Peter.... is just lazy and doesn't want to return to a dangerous life.
Kingpin, deadderek, groschopf and 2 others liked this
It was crap? No way!

Not the account that told us Sony was gonna surprise drop Afterlife on Amazon Prime?

Or that we'd get a Halloween 2020 special?

Or CONFIRMED stuff that was already known?

Not a chance. :P
groschopf, Sav C, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
Davideverona wrote:That was crap.

I think either Janine married Egon later in life or she's the keeper of all his (and Ghostbusters Inc.) notes on Gozer and Shandor from 1984.

Winston could be the most available Ghostbuster to come to help. I imagine Ray having difficulties leaving New York because he wants to keep an eye on the Containment Unit and Peter.... is just lazy and doesn't want to return to a dangerous life.
I think Ray is probably the keeper of any records. I seem to recall Ernie saying that Winston is a success now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he has a business and Janine is his right hand woman.
pizzarat liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 21st, 2021, 11:50 am That was crap.

The containment unit is a really an X factor for this new story. Although (presumably) unrelated to the Summerville events, one has to imagine that Ray has been acting as the ever-vigilant sentry to prevent another cross-rip manifestation to occur again. And there's a good question. Is the containment more full in 2019/20 than it was in 1984?
Corey91 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 6:54 pm
pizzarat wrote: April 21st, 2021, 6:20 pm Is the containment more full in 2019/20 than it was in 1984?
It has to be. Where did they put all the ghosts they caught during the "we're back" montage from the winter of '89?

;)
True... but we don't really know either way if they had caught more ghosts by then. But, I love speculation. It's what makes this forum thread fun!
The question also becomes how long can a ghost stay inside a trap without being deposited into the containment unit, as Grooberson seemingly releases the ghost outside the school building. We know there's a ghost inside the trap at school, and the fun question of when was it trapped is still in the air.
To borrow an element from GB2 and GBATC I'd love to see the busters adapt Shandor's work to their benefit. Like traps or a containment unit with a specialize selenium/other metal alloy to work as a unit not requiring power.

But for the benefit of the story also say that particular alloy is extremely expensive so it still makes sense to use traditional traps and containment units and still require someone to guard traditional powered containment unit.
Alphagaia liked this

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]