By Sea_Marshall
Greetings!

I don't imagine my uniform work in progress is of much interest, but it's fun to catalogue this stuff.

Behold! The small child inside me is breaking free. I tried on the flight suit for fitting, but haven't even laced the boots yet. Still lots to finish before a test fit. Sewing patches, or velcro? Do people velcro patches? Swap out the arm or name based on event or location? I like the idea of velcro patches but wonder if I'd ever utilize it. Arm patch maybe. Name... yeah. Bleh. People velcro these right? Sewn on is screen accurate?

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night.

Everything but the boots were ordered from GBFans' store. I loved it. The box opening was splendid and everything was neatly packaged. Awesome. Definite "I recommend". Order in advance or when stock is available because there's some wait times to be expected.

Wow. The chemical gloves.

Of all the items in the box, the chemical gloves blew me away. I could straight up kill toons in dip Judge Doom style. (Roger Rabbit fans out there?) They even came with cotton gloves to wear inside the gloves. I was impressed, for $8? Nice.

Here are the boots I picked up: Corcoran 995

So beefy. I love it. Hey. Boots and Flight Suit pants. Tucked in or out? I hadn't really paid attention to boot details before this costume crusade and it's amusing how that's a costume detail to consider.

Something fun I did that wasn't a main prop forum was the MT-500 radio. I found a file and decided to print one out to see how it goes.

I used a texture spray paint on the radio to try and replicate the texture you see on the actual vintage device itself.

I then went over it with a dark gray to match the color of walkie itself. I used some chrome paint on the middle battery bit and used a rubber coating on the 3D printed antenna. Topped it off with a sticker from the GBFans decal set. All in all I'm excited for the way it turned out! Now I just have to find a holster for it.

By tobycj
For the patches sewn is screen accurate, if that's your bag. Whatever you do don't iron them on if they have that backing, as if you ever want to change them they're a complete twat to get off again.
Sea_Marshall liked this
By Sea_Marshall
Can anyone share how the hose connector is attached to the flight suit? Is that just threaded through the suit and connector base?

I'd imagine a bit of tape around the hose end will keep it snug in the socket. What does the hose run to? Another pocket? Wrap around the belt?
By JWils23
From what I’ve seen they’re just threaded through the holes in the connector to the suits

Some people make attachments for the hose to connect to the belt, I just slid a Bobby pin through the top hole and clamp the hose on the inside of the belt. It’s hardly noticeable and disappears behind the belt just like the in the originals. I’ll try and post a picture tomorrow for you.
Sea_Marshall liked this
By Sea_Marshall
I enlisted my wife's sewing machine to put 2inch velcro on the back of my name tags to swap them out, if ever. I know patches were removable if ever captured in battle, and they could ditch ID. Doubt this would apply to Ghostbusters, but I'm excited because I actually sewed something with a machine. Huzzah. Tailoring +5

The last bit was the hose connector thing. I ended up using waxed thread to tie down the thingamajig. I put a small cardboard backing to firm it up a little.

Last thing was making sure it was the right height. I looked at the flight suit I have compared to what's on screen and they're not the same, lol. Anyway - I figured the most important thing about the connector was it's height in relation to the length of the arm. The flight suit section under equipment has great references. I put mine about 1.5 inches below the left pocket and it happens to land on the left of the leg, not in front. So the tubing just protrudes to the left and wraps around. I've just wrapped and cinched the tube at the back.

Currently three different belt fobs, video game light, and chemical gloves on the belt. The trap is attached to the belt on a leather trap holster from GBFans. The pedal hangs from a belt fob. I don't have a walkie holster or clip yet. Ecto goggles can be worn on the head or clipped to a belt fob. I need to dress the boots and pants better. PKE meter is out-of-the-box Spirit. Need to research mods or paint. It's pretty good as is to be fair. Photographs nice but would be cool to have a proper holster.

That's a lot of belt stuff. Good for standing and looking cool; a bit wobbly on the move.

Huzzah. What fun. I noticed the shoulder pads have black rectangles in the crook of the elbow. Is that a patch of elastic? do folks just mask and paint it on?
JWils23 liked this
By Sea_Marshall
Bleh. Looking back at this, I may have the wrong color hose connector, but hey, got the yellow hose for GB1. Watching the films, the reference photos I had were gray, and of course research says GB1 is beige and film stock added a gray tone to it. Of course I discover it at the finish line, haha. Typical.
By JWils23
Here's the simple way I attached my yellow hose, quick bobby pin looped through the top rings. You just run the tube up the bobby pin until it's snug, I've never had any issues with it falling out. It's a quick and easy solution that lets the hose run up behind the belt and end just like in the movies.

As far as the connector color, there's quite the debate on that! Check out the info in this thread starting on page 5, you can see there are many varying opinions on the matter!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46295&start=120
Sea_Marshall liked this
By tobycj
The black patch on the elbow pads is just elastic sewn on. I've seen some folk spray paint them on in the past.

Minor point to note, the pocket on the left sleeve needs the flap removing, as that wasn't there in the movie.
Sea_Marshall liked this
By Sea_Marshall
tobycj wrote: May 26th, 2021, 11:44 am The black patch on the elbow pads is just elastic sewn on. I've seen some folk spray paint them on in the past.

Minor point to note, the pocket on the left sleeve needs the flap removing, as that wasn't there in the movie.
That's a fun observation. I didn't critically analyze any of the items I picked up knowing I'd be hard pressed to find museum quality parts, so the first round is a best effort, heh. Perhaps in the log run of the hobby I'll see that come around in the form of an upgrade. Good to know what the actual methods and materials were for reference on how it 'should' be done. And then spin off modern day modifications. I feel the ghostbusters characters and equipment easily adapt to era or decade with minor tweaks and changes to the uniform/equipment foundation.
By darthbuster
Hi, I’m going on the same journey as you are and am getting all the pieces for my costume, but the Corcoran boots are hard to find in anything but really large or really small sizes. I’m not sure if they are out of production, but is there a site that you could recommend for them?
Sea_Marshall wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:59 am Greetings!

I don't imagine my uniform work in progress is of much interest, but it's fun to catalogue this stuff.

Behold! The small child inside me is breaking free. I tried on the flight suit for fitting, but haven't even laced the boots yet. Still lots to finish before a test fit. Sewing patches, or velcro? Do people velcro patches? Swap out the arm or name based on event or location? I like the idea of velcro patches but wonder if I'd ever utilize it. Arm patch maybe. Name... yeah. Bleh. People velcro these right? Sewn on is screen accurate?

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night.

Everything but the boots were ordered from GBFans' store. I loved it. The box opening was splendid and everything was neatly packaged. Awesome. Definite "I recommend". Order in advance or when stock is available because there's some wait times to be expected.

Wow. The chemical gloves.

Of all the items in the box, the chemical gloves blew me away. I could straight up kill toons in dip Judge Doom style. (Roger Rabbit fans out there?) They even came with cotton gloves to wear inside the gloves. I was impressed, for $8? Nice.

Here are the boots I picked up: Corcoran 995

So beefy. I love it. Hey. Boots and Flight Suit pants. Tucked in or out? I hadn't really paid attention to boot details before this costume crusade and it's amusing how that's a costume detail to consider.

Something fun I did that wasn't a main prop forum was the MT-500 radio. I found a file and decided to print one out to see how it goes.

I used a texture spray paint on the radio to try and replicate the texture you see on the actual vintage device itself.

I then went over it with a dark gray to match the color of walkie itself. I used some chrome paint on the middle battery bit and used a rubber coating on the 3D printed antenna. Topped it off with a sticker from the GBFans decal set. All in all I'm excited for the way it turned out! Now I just have to find a holster for it.

By Sea_Marshall
A google search for "corcoran 995 men's side zipper jump boots - 10 inch" should give you a few places. These are modern and are not exactly the same as the vintage pair, but are a solid choice. I went with Work Boots USA and am very happy with them.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]