By gbjedi
Cole Funstuff wrote: April 3rd, 2019, 8:43 am
DerGrundel wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 2:24 pm I like that new way of driving the arms. Very clean and simple
It's surprisingly smooth for a 3D printed gear too. I was worried the gears would be too small for my machine, but it's working great:
What will drive the arm movement? I’m guessing adafruit or arduino, which controls the up and down motion?

Also, would there be thoughts to getting these pieces made in aluminum? Or maybe resin cast?
By Cole Funstuff
The plan is to use a 9g servo with a slot on the arm to convert the rotary motion to linear. It's cheap, it's strong, and it's easier than the other options I've tried!

My plan for this project is to have everything 3D printable. I don't have access to an end mill or CNC so I wanted to keep it simple.
gbjedi liked this
By bspace
onshape is completely browser-based and can be accessed from just about any device. you can open the file and measure any part or export components
By Cole Funstuff
Sorry everyone, I had my first child last March and this past year has flown by. I do have this project sitting on my workbench and I have a bit more free time now that he's getting a bit older, but it's still hard to find enough time to keep prototyping and printing. I also recently switched over to Fusion 360 which means I'm using OnShape less and will probably want to translate the project over. Either way, I do plan to keep working on it and hope to have some more progress in the coming months!
NotSabbat, zeta otaku, Odin21100 and 1 others liked this
By knoxvilles_joker
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I have been working on a separate project that also uses the pca9685 servo board. I have been fighting on the Honus code piece from monsterpalooza several years ago and ported all the Arduino code over to raspberry pi. I got the code up to about 800 lines of code trying to add functionality with a wiimote for lights, motion and sound.

I have been documenting things here:
http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18792

As far as your light solution this will work directly with the pca9685 servo board:
https://www.amazon.com/Controlled-Recei ... WXBMY2HT0C

The elechawk rc switch is a Chinese made unit that I have yet to find one made locally here in the United States. 40 degrees is off and 110 degrees is on. The above link to the amazon product is the form you want.

But that aside if you want help on the coding piece I am game.

And more specifically I was looking for 3-d stl files of the knobs to finish out the print I have from your cad link.

The servo idea with the mechanicals is spot on. Though on my builds I have been moving more towards a belt mounted battery setup using dewalt batterys with a usb phone charger adapter. It makes addressing power needs much easier and more manageable.
By knoxvilles_joker
Cole Funstuff wrote: November 13th, 2016, 11:29 am
Vale_Spengler wrote:Cole, this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I've always loved the RGB PKE Meter and I can't wait to see this project completed.
If you need any help identifying all the main variant screens from the cartoon, I think I could recap them with some gif, then you can choose wich ones you want to include in your project.
Honestly, I could use a ton of help finding episodes that have both good shots of the screen for graphics and good clean sound samples for each of the PKE meter states. I've located a couple but a majority of scenes have background noise or something that makes it hard to get a good looping sound effect.
We may want to contact the studio and see if we can get cleaner source file cuts or if someone knows who did the special effects for the cartoon that could work too.
By knoxvilles_joker
I built on based off this main design:

I am going to try and get things even more compact inside. I try to stick with off the shelf solutions so others can more easily follow. Fabricating your own custom doodads, creates its own set of issues when things break.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 6th, 2021, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
By knoxvilles_joker
I have been going over the hardware setup with a focus on screen accuracy.

According to this it might be possible to add a text overlay to the screen itself:
https://www.linux-projects.org/uv4l/tut ... t-overlay/

The sense hat takes up a substantial amount of space in the unit. Without the sensehat and just doing straight text injection based on input, It would be possible to use an HDMI display and then you would be able to separate out the audio signal.

The kicker is you have to find a 3.5" hdmi display panel. The ntsc board works, but removes the ability to play sound as it is tied into the hdmi port which gets disabled when you switch to composite rca style display connector types.

And this one may work:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000543 ... ef74729f-1

I hate having to order out of China. I can not find anything like this domestically...
By knoxvilles_joker
Note that this is untested code. I cleaned it up to pull the string and print a word each time button 13 is pressed. I am trying to eliminate the sense hat and see if I can just use the ntsc display with a text overlay instead. My initial readings that this may be possible with the pillow python library
Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/python
from datetime import datetime
import math,os,random,subprocess,time
from gpiozero import Button
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO

# VARIABLES
button13 = Button(13)

# https://www.digitaldowsing.com/product-guides/ovilus-v/word-list/
filename="ovilus.txt"
#  5 seconds feels like a good cadence.
rest_period_between_readings=5

# Get a random line from the file with the name provided
#  and seed the rng with the given seed.
def get_random_line(seed, filename):
    my_file = open(filename,'r')
    line = next(my_file)
    random.seed(seed)
    for num, aline in enumerate(my_file):
        if random.randrange(num + 2): continue
        line = aline
    return line

# Speak the words verbally through the headphone jack.
# You must have espeak installed for this to work.
def espeak(message):
   espeak = 'espeak -s100 "%s" 2>>/dev/null' % message
   subprocess.Popen(espeak, shell=True)
# MAIN LOOP

alert(sense)
espeak("Ghost Box Starting up!")

while True:
    if button13.is_pressed :
        ghost_message = get_random_line(change, filename)
        # Logging output
        now = datetime.now() # this will not be accurate
                             # unless you have either a RTC or ntp with internet
        print str(now)
        print ghost_message        
        espeak(ghost_message)
        # it takes time to display the message so no sleep is required
    else:
        time.sleep(rest_period_between_readings)
    previous=current    
If I use a method similar to what someone used to dislplay tracking telemetry, I could do the same for the pke meter display:
https://hackaday.io/project/12450-raspb ... -recording

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]