Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I'm just noticing now that the scene with Phoebe watching the GB commercial on her laptop in bed has an interesting video suggestions on the right side of the youtube frame that was not previously mentioned. At the top it looks like the spectral streams from the "Magic" montage in GB1.

Also, I think the thing we see at the bottom of the Jason/Ivan action figure box art is the well of souls we see in the new trailer.

Alphagaia wrote: July 28th, 2021, 7:14 am So what do we think of this?

Is this a fair portrayal how the regulars are taking in this trailer? I-I hope not.
My facebook feed had a mixed reaction, lightly positive. Some people really don't like The Force Awakens approach and are still annoyed that the advertising is prioritizing nostalgia over comedy. They like Ghostbusters, but the serious reverence of the trailer is, in their opinion, a misrepresentation of the original movie.

I think this is probably the most important type of reaction to keep an eye on. There are many general audience members out there that straight-up don't want this movie to have a "Chewie, we're home" moment because in their view that's putting Ghostbusters on a loftier dramatic or cultural pedestal than they believe it deserves. While I am indifferent to the approach myself (that's just how most studios advertise these kinds of reunion sequels), I definitely think it's possible to love and respect the movie(s) and also have that opinion. The same people may also just be annoyed by '80s obsession in general, or legacy sequels, or a mixture of all of the above.

On Twitter, the much more intense film nerds I follow almost unanimously rejected the trailer for similar reasons, on top of which there is an even thicker layer of cynicism toward corporate IP culture, the perceived nepotism of Jason directing the movie (especially after his last few films flopped, and now he's making a big-budget studio blockbuster), and more people still tired from the Ghostbusters (2016) fallout, which was maybe most pervasive on Twitter. The gist of the reaction is, "Terrence Malick-style wheat fields for the movie where Dan Aykroyd gets a ghost BJ." To be fair, deeply passionate film nerds like this have a similar skepticism for most massive blockbuster movies, and they're definitely a niche section of the audience, so while this reaction is meaningful, I don't think they're representative of how the movie is going to do.

On YouTube, the reactions seemed mostly reverent. Interesting that the poll above was YouTube. Could mark the relevant difference between the people who comment and the people who don't, since what I was looking at was the comments. Also, FWIW, YouTube is the place where I saw the highest number of 2016 backlash comments, although to be clear, I only saw a handful of them anywhere (maybe 1-2% of the responses I read on twitter, 3-6% of the responses I read on YouTube).

I have said before and I still believe this movie has an uphill battle. I noted in a comment I made here during the half hour after the new trailer dropped that I figured it was going to receive the same complaints about it not being funny enough, and I've been seeing that since. I think the movie has the potential to be successful, but I would not labor under the impression that this one has it in the bag.

One thing I've always said about fans, which is actually true of any audience that is aware of the movie already, is that half of them have already made their mind up. I'm fully aware that I'm in the camp that is going to see this movie no matter what. But there are people, like many of those Twitter people, and possibly some of the YouTube voters, that are also not going to see this movie no matter what, and those lost viewers are as legitimate and worth considering as the guaranteed viewers, if we're really trying to examine what the public thinks.

One note I'll end with here: I saw people who like these movies who didn't know whether the voice at the end was Dan or Bill. So, the possibilities of how people are reacting to the trailer have quite a few random variables we might not have considered.
Last edited by tylergfoster on July 28th, 2021, 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
droidguy1119 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:02 am The Ghostbusters official social media has posted a reaction video themselves, of Mckenna Grace watching the new trailer.

Of all the cast we've seen so far, she by far appears to be the most enthusiastic and genuine. Some of the earlier interviews she gets really hyper and it's awesome when you can tell the actor/actress is REALLY into their role instead of just doing it for a steady paycheck.
Last edited by Kingpin on July 28th, 2021, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
tylergfoster, Alphagaia, BatDan and 3 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote:I'm gonna laugh my ass off if the Gozer Flat Top from the trailer is a misdirect and we get a Zombie Elvis instead.

How is Elvis, indeed.
I have looked at that shot over and over again. While it certainly appears to be Gozer, I wouldn't rule out a miner ghost either.
Alphagaia wrote:I can see it now. She crawls out of the pit. Pushes Phoebe away. Makes a sprint towards the elevator. CLIMBS the rope.

The room starts to shake.

'RUN FOR YOUR LIFES, SUBCREATURES!'
I remember seeing an interview about the development of GB:TVG. The original premise was "Who is Gozer going to call?" Gozer returns, seeking the Ghostbusters' help due to a larger looming threat. It's an interesting idea, but I worry that it would distract from the Shandor lore.
That would be a fun misdirect and it would alleviate some of my concerns about going to the Shandor/Gozer well again.

re: the coffee photo
Someone leaked some still images on the evening before the trailer dropped, including the shot of the miner skeleton ghost. I feel it's safe to say this because at the time they were reported to GC, and now, of course, the trailer is out there and they're no longer leaks.
deadderek, Corey91 liked this
Alphagaia wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:43 am
Davideverona wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:42 am So, if Gozer returns.... Do you think Ray learned what to say from the last time?
No.
GOZER: "Are you a God???"
RAY: "... NO!"
GOZER: " *watches around in disbelief*... Well.. shit.... I wasn't expecting it. I... I have to re-plan everything. *returns in the pit*"
RAY: "Well it wasn't such a chore, wasn't it?"
Sav C liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:32 am That would be a fun misdirect and it would alleviate some of my concerns about going to the Shandor/Gozer well again.
The Sentinel Terror Dog may be a clue here - Sentinel by definition means "one that keeps guard." Synonyms include custodian, guard, or guardian. Guard what? Gozer? The Temple? From who/what?

Also, one of the leaks said that there are three terror dogs in this film: the Keymaster, the Gatekeeper, and the Custodian. I'm not saying the leak is true, but it's curious.
Kingpin liked this
Dr.D wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:40 am Something else everyone should consider...the internet, as a whole, STILL does not represent the movie going public. Plenty of folks I know who don't use social media were still aware of the trailer and reacted pretty positively. What's gonna matter in the end is the film itself.
That's true. The internet is just simply one side of the story and people's own experiences in seeing a film is what will decide the outcome; this can also go for other forms of media such as video games, music, etc.
I know most of the GB community has lukewarm feelings about Gozer's return but consider the general movie-going public...to them there are the two movies. Gozer is in one of them, not even mentioned by name in GB2. They aren't aware of the comics,games,etc. So while it may seem like an idea we've all seen before, it really won't hit the general audience that way.
deadderek liked this
So now that the new trailers out of the way (and from what i gather…overall pretty darn successful) how long til we see the official poster? Usually they go hand in hand right?

Also because of the Hasbro spilling of the beans…how long til a promo shot of an OG?
Corey91 liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:02 am The Ghostbusters official social media has posted a reaction video themselves, of Mckenna Grace watching the new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff2GpBJu8cE
When they first shared pictures of Mckenna Grace in character I did not recognize her even though I am familiar with her work. And now that she's back to the more familiar look I didn't recognize her because I've become used to the short brown hair and glasses. Funny how that works.

I get that it's not possible to switch up everyone's look for a film but I love how you can tell when Ramis is playing Egon because of the hair. And Mckenna Grace gets a signature character look thanks to the brown curls and glasses.
Kingpin liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:32 am re: the coffee photo
Someone leaked some still images on the evening before the trailer dropped, including the shot of the miner skeleton ghost. I feel it's safe to say this because at the time they were reported to GC, and now, of course, the trailer is out there and they're no longer leaks.
Exactly. I spoke about this offline with a few members of the board here, so I apologize for not explaining it in the forum sooner. I tripped across a social media account with Russian hashtags sharing four screencaps from the trailer the day before the trailer dropped.

Since I'd be tall pissed if I had created something so beautiful and had to wait so long for it to see the light of day — only to have some rando on Twitter leak it right before an official release — I opted to let Ghost Corps know so they could squash it before the leak went wide. Others here set that example, and I followed their lead.

Given the hacks a few years back, I hope the studio is reviewing its security. Sony, Ghost Corps, the Reitmans, the cast, the crew, and everybody in between have been really good to us. It only follows that we protect and defend what they've worked so hard on.

I took that innocuous snippet and posted it fifteen minutes before the trailer dropped knowing it would cause no harm (and opted not to show it the night before lest people set out to find the leak before the studio had a chance to jam it up). I wanted to make a funny Always Sunny reference... but also illustrate how easily one can pretend to be an insider when they're anything but.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, Sav C and 1 others liked this
I don't believe in this--but a weird thought occurred to me.

Wouldn't it be nuts if the form Gozer took this time was Egon? As I said, I don't think they are--they said there'd be no CG Harold. But imagine the story gut-punch that could be for the OGBs. Egon walks out of a portal and their guard is down (could it be him from the other side?) and then instant lightning fingers...
Coover5 liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]