Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Again with every bit that gets revealed, I get more and more excited for the movie. As expected the story beats that the movie appear to be taking to get the OGs involved in the story are way better than anything I ever could have imagined.

I can see why the Ghostbusters won't really carry this movie. The audience will be discovering what has happened since the events of the previous film as the new characters discover their lineage. I can see the OGs presence and importance playing an important part through out the story. I believe that scene where Ray picks up the phone at Ray's Occult is just the tip of the iceberg of what's going to unfold.

Honestly if Ray's Occult Book Store is as much of New York that we are going to see in this movie, than I am more than satisfied. The Gozer reveal really gave me the chills, I can't help but think that there is one more big twist to this that has yet to be revealed. I mean there is supposed to me an air of mystery in this movie so I am not ruling out any possibilities. ;)

I really have a strong feeling that this movie will be a hit. I think it will spark more interest in the series. I think that we will see more Ghostbusters stories. I think we will see Ecto Force, that Animated Film, and I get a strong feeling the IDW series will be lifted from that hiatus. When Afterlife comes out we will know where the Original Ghostbusters wound up after all these years, that leaves Erik with plenty of opportunities to fill in the 30+ year gap between the current comic storyline to Afterlife. ;)

Oh this is going to be fun. :):):)
deadderek, BatDan, *NormalGamer* and 1 others liked this
Let's hope the third trailer is just 3 minutes of Winston Zeddemore. :D Really curious about Ernie's part this time.

On a different note, while musing about the trailer and the GB movie universe (GB2 canon finally confirmed, thanks!!), I came to the conclusion how miserable it must be to be a Ghostbuster. There have been ghost stories in all cultures and for thousands of years, yet you are the one to prove them to have a true core, you touch that other dimension of a spiritual world beyond our physical one. But instead of being recognized in the academic and scientific world for one of the biggest discoveries of mankind you're labeled as a nutjob, and when you're no use for the public anymore you're discredited and forgotten.
BatDan, deadderek liked this
So with the pink energy beam showing up, Egon must’ve built a containment unit, right? So will we get a flashback/montage of Egon maybe keeping some spirits at bay?

You also gotta wonder about Ray & Egon. Why wouldn’t Ray go with him? The mind boggles.

I kind of wonder if the film is going to work in a meta nod to the Bill Murray Harold Ramis relationship problems. There clearly been a breakdown of the GB’s relationship.
groschopf wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm By the way, is anyone else having problems with the "like" button here?

I'm not sure if mine no longer works, or if I'm accidentally liking/unliking posts in my effort to use the button.
Could you please describe a bit further what's happening on your end? Do you press it and nothing happens. Or do you press it and there's a sizeable lag when the pop up appears to confirm you liked a post? Also, what're you using i.e. Android phone, Windows 10 laptop, etc.
Bison256 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm I'm curious, have any of the IDW writers posted their thoughts about the new trailer?
Nope, it's like there's a Ghostbusters muzzle over their mouths. Or y'know, they're busy juggling multiple projects at once and barely have time to surface for air much less post on social media.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:58 pm
groschopf wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:46 pm By the way, is anyone else having problems with the "like" button here?

I'm not sure if mine no longer works, or if I'm accidentally liking/unliking posts in my effort to use the button.
Could you please describe a bit further what's happening on your end? Do you press it and nothing happens. Or do you press it and there's a sizeable lag when the pop up appears to confirm you liked a post? Also, what're you using i.e. Android phone, Windows 10 laptop, etc.
Nothing happens. I'm using Google Chrome on an iMac.
Sav C, AJ Quick liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:37 pm So with the pink energy beam showing up, Egon must’ve built a containment unit, right? So will we get a flashback/montage of Egon maybe keeping some spirits at bay?

You also gotta wonder about Ray & Egon. Why wouldn’t Ray go with him? The mind boggles.

I kind of wonder if the film is going to work in a meta nod to the Bill Murray Harold Ramis relationship problems. There clearly been a breakdown of the GB’s relationship.
So many unanswered questions!

Which is why i have a hunch that the OGs “only a week” film schedule was just BS to keep the lid tight. I distinctly remember seeing leaked Call sheets with Bill Dan and Siggy for as early as July. We were told they only filmed in Sept.

Theres no way to gradually have them come back into the story fluidly to be included in the finale if they filmed a “week”

Im not saying they're the “stars”…no way.

This is definitely Phoebe’s story for sure and her journey as a “Spengler” is the main focus, and thats probably the best angle a new GB film can make.

But in terms of how scripts (good scripts) work is you cant just have characters just randomly pop in at the last minute “because nostalgia” …especially when its handled by such talent and veterans like Jason and Ivan.

From what were being “told” leads me to just assume that they have a one minute scene and then conveniently show up at the last minute for the 3rd act? Story structure wise that doesn't make any sense. And i think Jasons a better writer than that.

So I think theres more than meets the eye here, is all im saying (alot of the 2nd trailer was mostly just reworked/expanded scenes from the 2019 trailer, just with alot of the ghost fx shots sprinkled in) . Its just the vibe im getting. I think were in for some epic proportions.

I mean i could be wrong, but f*ck it im excited
Ecto24601 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:15 pm (GB2 canon finally confirmed, thanks!!),
There was never a single reason to doubt it wouldn't be.
Kingpin liked this
Of all the nights to be away from the forum. :P Still, an exciting time to be a ghosthead. :)

Observations from trailer 2:

•A bit more development of Grooberson, more to his supportive and laid-back nature. I definitely cracked a smile at his quip that there's still time for Phoebe to get into trouble. :)
•Digging Spinners, I wish we had a place like that where I live.
•Phoebe soldering the P.K.E., as noted previously. Looks like maybe... If that later shot is of it being held by Egon, that maybe it gets damaged in his final moments alive, and she ends up fixing it.
•She appears to be wearing the same outfit as she's attending to the P.K.E. as when she's activating the Gunner Seat for the first time.
•Despite the opening establishing shot, Grooberson and Callie appear to be having dinner at a chinese restaurant in Summerville, rather than Spinners.
•The production photo of Harold, Dan, Ernie and Bill made me smile, though it feels a little out of place (more on that below).
•Hearing Annie's voice, then seeing her... Broke me into another big grin. :)
•And then of course, grin-increased to full-on stupid when Trevor reveals Wrecto-1's no-ghost logo. :)
•"Ooof!" when the headline chrome toppled off as Trevor slammed the hood shut.
•Back to the stupid grin as Trevor tore across the corn field. You're all of us, kid. :)
•Gozerian "G" and art deco detailing on Summerville building - 3rd Avenue Arts in Drumheller.
•"Maybe it's the apocalypse?" - That got a laugh out of me. Grace has definitely ace a dry, Egon-esque deadpan.
•I said it when the teaser for the trailer was posted... I can never not grin like a kid whenever I see Ecto/Wrecto-1 speeding along a roadway with purpose. :)
•Seeing the old commercial was a nice touch, especially with faux tracking errors.
•More grinning seeing the P.K.E. in action. I think I thought maybe at the time it was Ray holding it, but now I see it as a possible scene of Egon in the moments before he dies... Possibly as a preface scene to the whole move. We never see his face (at least, not directly), but it's heavily hinted to be Egon as the scene plays out.
•Another moving lamp, like the Passing the Proton Pack featurette. Almost certainly an indicator of Egon's presence, even if he isn't able to fully manifest.
•Minipufts! I'm a sucker for those cute little bastions of chaos. :)
•Holy f***! That Gozer temple!
•The effects on the sky portal look really polished (likely the product of the extra production time due to the pandemic delays).
•More than a few paranormal films from the '80s have told us no good can come from a well of souls.
•I didn't see it on the first viewing, but it does look like Gozer in its humanoid form.
•Explosions! No Ghostbusters film is complete without explosions! :)
•Loving that glowing crater opening up in the street, reminiscent of the road opening up on Central Park West but also doing something new with it. This is filmed on 24th Street in Fort Macleod, in front of the Queen's Hotel.
•The spectral sky trails from the first movie! :) These shots are Drumheller.
•Wonder what that flaming ghost chasing the civilian outside Spinners was.
•Love the fact the waitress is non-nonchalantly pouring the miner ghost a coffee.
•And the miner ghost... Jeeze! They did a fantastic job with him... The peeled away flesh, the teeth!
•Didn't know this was the Terror Sentinel at the time of first viewing... But I love it! Scary ghosts is what Ghostbusters is all about! Also, shaking up what we thought we knew about the Trap/car battery scene.
•Grooberson running for his life... I shouldn't laugh, but seeing the Terror Dog obliterating the entrance to Walmart was brilliant. And I'd probably have reacted in the same way he did.
•Wrecto-1! Lights blazing! I feel like a kid again, watching The Real Ghostbusters:)
•The RTV, spoiled long-ago, but pretty awesome (if a little unlikely) in action.
•Nice to get a bit more of a look at Muncher.
•Check out that heavy-duty connector on the back of the RTV battery, that's no humble Foster quick-connect!
•And seeing Ray's Occult again! This should provide relief to those who feared Ghostbusters II was not going to be addressed... And it's great to see they did a pretty decent effort (from the brief snippet we get anyway) of recreating the design of the set from 1988. It's 2020/1 appearance reminds me strongly of a new-age store that's in town.

The St. Marks Place storefront that was used in 1988 has been substantially changed in the intervening years, so this was likely filmed on a soundstage with those huge LED screens for the backgrounds, like the farmhouse interior set.

It may be an excellent replica, but that could also be the same "OCCULT BOOKS" sign used in 1988, the protective plastic casing appears identical, when Jason could always have just featured a close approximation.
•RAY!
•I suspect Ray's line has been cut short, excising a "Ray's Occult" that'll appear in the final film. Funny to see he's gotten a tattoo of his revelation quote, and also a nice bit of detailing seeing his glasses with chain hanging around his neck like he did in Ghostbusters II. :)

As you guys have already interpreted... I'm extremely happy with the trailer... It was well-worth the wait, and while the non-die-hard fans might need another one... I feel that they shouldn't post any more trailers after this one... As I think it revealed enough without unveiling too much. But yeah, I'm sure there'll be another... Which'll probably be the final trailer before November.
robbritton wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:08 amit’s interesting that Jason talks about differences happening to Ecto-1 between “1984 and now” in the featurette. When he talks about things specific to GB2, like Ray’s Occult, he’s careful to say 1989. Which is a long-winded way to say that I’m starting to suspect I’ve been wrong forever, and that Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A might well actually be two separate cars in canon.
Ecto24601 wrote: July 27th, 2021, 11:20 am We may safely assume that Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are separate cars, as per movie canon. No GB2 redlines, thankfully!
Jason's exact words are:
Jason Reitman wrote:...We wanted to think about, y'know, what kind of technology was added to Ecto-1 in between 1984 and 2021...
That is by-far the biggest indicator that as far as Jason's concerned, Ecto-1, Ecto-1A, and Wrecto-1 are all the same car. It's something that may come up in Afterlife itself, but barring a contradicting thing he may say at a later point, I think we can now close the book on this lingering question.
Michael Scott wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:39 am Jason said Janine attempted to care for Egon in his old age. Not a confirmation that they were ever a couple again or that she is related to the family.
It's definitely left ambiguous, and we'll have to wait until November to see if Callie calls Janine "Mom", or just "Janine". I'd like to believe they married, but I'll respect Jason's decision if he chose a different path... Feeling that Egon's particular mindset and motivation wouldn't consider something as normal/mundane as marriage... Not out of maliciousness, but simply because it's something he doesn't really understand, in his way.
JonXCTrack wrote: July 27th, 2021, 8:41 am The only thing that bugs me, and it really is just me over thinking it, but the photo of the OGBs, they're wearing the same outfits they were wearing when the ECU exploded. I doubt they'd stop and take a photo together during that event. Maybe they went back to the HQ after they defeated Gozer and changed into what they were wearing before the battle? I dunno. It just seems like they should have used a different photo.
That's the one fly in the trailer's ointment for me... The basis for the photo doesn't really make sense because it doesn't really fit in context to the events as depicted on-screen, they had no time to get photographed after the ECU blew and before being arrested, and they'd have been too preoccupied with gathering up the gear they needed and getting dressed for the battle with Gozer after being released from jail.

I think in hindsight, this would've been a better choice... As you could rationalize it as having been taken by a member of the crowd:

groschopf wrote: July 27th, 2021, 9:50 am Is the apparel we're seeing in that shot of a hand holding the PKE one of the lab coats from the commercial in the first film?
It's tricky to gauge, as the blue light that's visible on the P.K.E. may be distorting the colour of the coat.
JonXCTrack wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:02 am I actually think that this is Ray pulling a PKE meter out of a drawer in the Occult Bookstore.
The shot appears to have stained glass in it, which looks like it could be one of the stained glass windows visible on the farmhouse set.
pizzarat wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:46 amIf he's going as far to recreate a one set from one scene in Ghostbusters II I feel like the "where's 1-A?" question will be answered.
Except by all accounts, Ecto-1A no longer exists as a prop, having been repurposed as one of the two 1959 Wrecto-1 props.
deadderek wrote: July 27th, 2021, 10:47 am So do we think they got back the original actress for Gozer?
IF Gozer appears as a human...

I don't expect we will see Slavitza Jovan reprising Gozer, but we may see a de-aged digital recreation, if the trailer is anything to go by. Plus we have the giant statue of Gozer to also serve as a surrogate.

deadderek wrote: July 27th, 2021, 1:55 pm So how long until Ghostbusters 4? :P
90 years. :boogieman:
droidguy1119 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:57 amand those lost viewers are as legitimate and worth considering as the guaranteed viewers, if we're really trying to examine what the public thinks.
There's a portion who are definitely worth considering, but we've seen plenty of examples of fans or potential viewers who have rejected going to see it for some very petty reasons or trivial reasons (such as giving up the film entirely solely for being delayed because of the pandemic) I don't think the fans who are avoiding it for petty reasons are necessarily ones to spend a lot of time considering in the grand scheme of things.
deadderek, *NormalGamer*, Alphagaia and 5 others liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 1:09 pm Again with every bit that gets revealed, I get more and more excited for the movie. As expected the story beats that the movie appear to be taking to get the OGs involved in the story are way better than anything I ever could have imagined.

I can see why the Ghostbusters won't really carrey this movie. The audience will be discovering what has happened since the events of the previous film as the new characters discover their lineage. I can see the OGs presence and importance playing an important part through out the story. I believe that scene where Ray picks up the phone at Ray's Occult is just the tip of the iceberg of what's going to unfold.

Honestly if Ray's Occult Book Store is as much of New York that we are going to see in this movie, than I am more than satisfied. The Gozer reveal really gave me the chills, I can't help but think that there is one more big twist to this that has yet to be revealed. I mean there is supposed to me an air of mystery in this movie so I am not ruling out any possibilities. ;)

I really have a strong feeling that this movie will be a hit. I think it will spark more interest in the series. I think that we will see more Ghostbusters stories. I think we will see Ecto Force, that Animated Film, and I get a strong feeling the IDW series will be lifted from that hiatus. When Afterlife comes out we will know where the Original Ghostbusters wound up after all these years, that leaves Erik with plenty of opportunities to fill in the 30+ year gap between the current comic storyline to Afterlife. ;)

Oh this is going to be fun. :):):)
@ *referring to bold*

Same. Makes me wonder what the firehouse's fate is; I know that the pole, proton packs, suits of the OGB's and much of Egon's samples was seen in the cave that Pheobe discovered in the first trailer.
Kingpin wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:38 pm •Despite the opening establishing shot, Grooberson and Callie appear to be having dinner at a chinese restaurant in Summerville, rather than Spinners.
Yes, good eye. On July 30-31, 2019, they filmed at the Enjoy Garden Chinese Restaurant in Crossfield. This must be the scene.
https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Gh ... t72019.jpg
I think in hindsight, this would've been a better choice... As you could rationalize it as having been taken by a member of the crowd:
Yeah, in my head, I'm thinking it was after the police broke up the squabble between Peck and Egon. There was a brief moment when they were just standing in front of the Firehouse, firefighters were asking Egon how to dispose of the ecto material from the explosion (like in some drafts of the script), and some newspaper photographer in the crowd asked for a candid shot. Then after that, the police approached them and formally arrested them.
Sav C liked this
All right... time for some speculation.

...1918 and 1945? The years that World War I and World War II ended? Like Egon says in the first film… “after the First World War, Shandor decided that society was too sick to survive.”

Makes one wonder if that date we can't see to the left is 1908 (or is the date obscured by Phoebe's arm), and a date to the right is 1984 — dates that marked the (unsuccessful) comings of Gozer. The mysterious Tunguska Blast in 1908... the Battle of Messines (if it happened a year later)... the atomic bomb in 1945... the fight atop the Shandor Building in 1984... maybe big explosions in history are the hallmarks of a battle against Gozer.

If any of that sounds familiar as a concept to you… you might just have read the NOW Comics RGB series. Issue #25 postulated that the American armed forces found an interdimensional rift in (what was most likely) Vietnam and subsequently waged something called “the Unearth War” until bombing it shut several years later. Maybe that's too obscure as a point of reference for Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan to be aware of, let alone build a concept around... but it's a neat idea.

Yeah. Maybe all of that is too much.

But I'm standing by the probability of 1918 and 1945 being the dates seen in the pit.

I can't find the photo currently, but... didn't we see a leaked photo from the set that showed us a memorial to miners from 1945?
zeta otaku, deadderek, pizzarat and 1 others liked this
All right... found the miner statue photo:
https://ghostbustersdeutschland.wordpre ... l-spoiler/

Annnddddd I found Paco's post from earlier today that covers some of the same ground. Apparently I didn't go far enough back in the board today. It's like there's more posts than usual :)

Paco totally beat me to the dates and the Tunguska blast speculation. All that's left is my tenuous comic book link. All things being equal, it might make more sense if those dates are 1908 and 1945 — not World Wars, just dates that Gozer was thwarted.
deadderek, Sav C, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
With Ray getting Revelation 6:12 and the year of the Tunguska blast wrong in the first film, I have to wonder if there will be a joke in Afterlife about him being less than great at remembering numbers.

In his defense... it's not like he could have whipped out a smartphone in 1984 to factcheck himself.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
BatDan wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:27 pm
So many unanswered questions!

Which is why i have a hunch that the OGs “only a week” film schedule was just BS to keep the lid tight. I distinctly remember seeing leaked Call sheets with Bill Dan and Siggy for as early as July. We were told they only filmed in Sept.

Theres no way to gradually have them come back into the story fluidly to be included in the finale if they filmed a “week”

Im not saying theyre the “stars”…no way.

This is definitely Phoebe’s story for sure and her journey as a “Spengler” is the main focus, and thats probably the best angle a new GB film can make.

But in terms of how scripts (good scripts) work is you cant just have characters just randomly pop in at the last minute “because nostalgia” …especially when its handled by such talent and veterans like Jason and Ivan.

From what were being “told” leads me to just assume that they have a one minute scene and then conveniently show up at the last minute for the 3rd act? Story structure wise that doesn't make any sense. And i think Jasons a better writer than that.

So i think theres more than meets the eye here, is all im saying (alot of the 2nd trailer was mostly just reworked/expanded scenes from the 2019 trailer, just with alot of the ghost fx shots sprinkled in) . Its just the vibe im getting. I think were in for some epic proportions.

I mean i could be wrong, but f*ck it im excited
Egon tracked the cult to summerville and has been keeping an eye on them and left instructions for his family to contact the Ghostbusters once he passes. In the trailer it shows Phoebe watching the advert and the phone number is on the screen then it cuts to Rays Occult and him answering the phone.

There may be small cameos like Annies throughout the movie but I don't expect the OGs to show up till act 3. It makes sense for everything to start falling apart and then Phoebe call for help and the OGs don't show up till the end just as things look like everything is lost.
BatDan wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:27 pmWhich is why i have a hunch that the OGs “only a week” film schedule was just BS to keep the lid tight. I distinctly remember seeing leaked Call sheets with Bill Dan and Siggy for as early as July. We were told they only filmed in Sept.

A week is plenty of time to film scenes that go throughout the entire film. Even hypothesizing they only shot one scene a day, that's potentially seven scenes each for five returning cast members. Furthermore, if the director and crew know they only have Bill Murray and co. for X amount of time, they don't even have to film all of a scene -- they can film an OGB cast member's side of a scene, and shoot the other half later.

For comparison, I imagine the same original cast members shot their scenes for Ghostbusters (2016) in half a day each. If I remember correctly, Murray was apparently only on set for three hours.
Alphagaia wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:26 am Also, that Ghost Popper that shoots Mini Pufts might be a great idea for the movie.

What if they weaponize the mini pufts against the ghosts sort or like they did with the slime?
I've seen some theories that Podcast pulls a pied piper with the Aztec Whistle/Ghost Whistle and lures all the Mini-Pufts into one place to be dealt with. Although, since the trailer heavily and pretty much said Gozer is coming back... wonder if Gozer combines with all of them and we get that skeletal Puft image we saw on the Hasbro figure board.

But that Mini Puft Popper immediately reminded me of the Kenner Ghost Popper.
Alphagaia liked this
Now I'm wondering if the reason the Spengler pack is modified is because it's the pack configured to deal with entities like the Terror Dogs, the Sentinel Dogs, and Gozer.

Since I'm convinced that scene of someone scanning with a PKE is Egon in the farmhouse... what if it's like they said in IDW's Ghostbusters International? What if that is him after he died?

mrmichaelt, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Jason did playfully slam Slimer being turned into a 'Firehouse Dalmatian' in his trailer commentary so if he had any say... hmm, I'd guess he was eventually trapped again and put back in the Containment Unit. But I could see him being the test subject for that Ghost Whistle and perhaps Ray keeps him in the book store. :D
Sav C liked this
groschopf wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:20 pm All right... found the miner statue photo:
https://ghostbustersdeutschland.wordpre ... l-spoiler/

Annnddddd I found Paco's post from earlier today that covers some of the same ground. Apparently I didn't go far enough back in the board today. It's like there's more posts than usual :)

Paco totally beat me to the dates and the Tunguska blast speculation. All that's left is my tenuous comic book link. All things being equal, it might make more sense if those dates are 1908 and 1945 — not World Wars, just dates that Gozer was thwarted.
Isn't 1918 the date when 550 Central Park West was completed?

The Miners apparently perished in 1945 and 1945 appears on the wall behind Phoebe. I'm wondering if the underground temple was completed in 1945 and the Miners had to sacrifice themselves to do so. That, or maybe the Miners sacrificed themselves to close the mine up?
Jimsy33 liked this
Davideverona wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:32 am So, since Gb2 is being acknowledged in a real concrete way.... What about Slimer? What do you think has happened to him?
If the Afterlife Clue game is indeed a "clue", it looks like Slimer may just be in the new film. The Muncher toy packaging has artwork where Slimer is part of Muncher's upchuck along with a stop sign and Ecto-1's license plate.

I like this design! It looks like a good hybrid of Slimer ol' boy from both films, perhaps leaning toward the second one a bit more.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]