Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Sometimes those “first time” reactions kinda make me confused..like sometimes its really on the surface stuff that some of these people haven't heard/seen yet and im left in shock.

Youtube reactor: “So this is my first time reaction to listening to The Beatles - Yesterday”

Me yelling at the screen: How can you have never heard that song in your entire life? Were you asleep this whole time?

But i digress..im speaking from a bias…but still! As a kid and teen i always hungry to discover and learn about movies, artists, shows, music, books, comics from across the board…like did these kids just do homework and stand around their whole life? I dunno..i dont get it.
Sav C, deadderek liked this
As someone who knows pretty much nothing about the video game(I’ve never been into video games. I bought the GBgame, played it once or twice and that’s it) has there been anything released yet that contradicts it as “canon”?

I know some of you are super obsessed with GB The Video Game being canon, my view is that it’s just too niche of a thing to matter. They most likely won’t acknowledge it, but they may not contradict either, so it can still fit within fans “head canon”.

How would some of you who want the game to be canon feel if it gets completely ignored & contradicted? The game utilizes Shandor & Gozer again, right? It takes place in 1991? So if the film doesn’t mention that something major happened in 1991, since it had to be a cross rip event, does it ruin your enjoyment of the game or even GBA to some extent?
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:15 am As someone who knows pretty much nothing about the video game(I’ve never been into video games. I bought the GBgame, played it once or twice and that’s it) has there been anything released yet that contradicts it as “canon”?
I think the main thing people point out as a contradiction is Grooberson's comment of "no ghost sightings in 30 years." But a rebuttal to that is he's rounding up, Hollywood scripts tend to use round numbers, how detailed was his recollection/record of the Ghostbusters exploits, there was debate about what year Afterlife takes place in - 2019/2020/2021 - and some have looked at things like license plates. But I mean, 1 year more isn't that big a stretch to render TVG not canon. Vigo got defeated in the opening minutes of 1990 and TVG was in November 1991.

To me, I haven't seen anything yet to contradict it as canon (not counting some rumors about certain characters).
How would some of you who want the game to be canon feel if it gets completely ignored & contradicted? The game utilizes Shandor & Gozer again, right? It takes place in 1991? So if the film doesn’t mention that something major happened in 1991, since it had to be a cross rip event, does it ruin your enjoyment of the game or even GBA to some extent?
It would suck. Ideally, I'd want it to stay canon to the movies. In away, it was the Act 3 that connected GB1 and GB2, offered a better conclusion and wrap up to the two movies, and Afterlife could be a great epilogue to GB1, GB2, and TVG and then serve as a bridge to a new storyline with the new cast. Plus, TVG was the final time Harold Ramis portrayed Egon before his passing and thus in a way the final time as much of the original cast possible were together.
RichardLess wrote:As someone who knows pretty much nothing about the video game(I’ve never been into video games. I bought the GBgame, played it once or twice and that’s it) has there been anything released yet that contradicts it as “canon”?

I know some of you are super obsessed with GB The Video Game being canon, my view is that it’s just too niche of a thing to matter. They most likely won’t acknowledge it, but they may not contradict either, so it can still fit within fans “head canon”.

Well I suppose the scene where Gozer climbs out of the pit in her pre chosen form from the first film could be seen as a contradiction to the video game. In the final parts of the game Ray poses a question when Gozer returned why didn’t he take on a more suitable form to destroy the world instead of staying in the form of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Ray had a theory that Gozer must be locked into that form from their first encounter because it’s one destructor form per god per dimension. Now in the world of the comics a demigod by the name of Indulnas came into existence for the purpose of changing Gozer’s Destructor Form, of course that is the world of the comics and that’s an entirely different kettle of fish when it comes to canon. ;)

Back to the game canon question, I guess you make the argument that Gozer can return to her pre chosen form because she is drawing power from her own underground temple therefore allowing her to re-enter the dimension in whatever form she desires. Now to answer your question as to weather or not the game being officially non canon would effect my enjoyment of The Video Game or Afterlife. I’d say No not at all. I just enjoy Ghostbusters. I have enjoyed, the films, the cartoons, and the comics and I have a feeling I am going to keep enjoying whatever comes next regardless if it fits into any particular canon. :):):)
mrmichaelt wrote: July 30th, 2021, 5:00 am
RichardLess wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:15 am As someone who knows pretty much nothing about the video game(I’ve never been into video games. I bought the GBgame, played it once or twice and that’s it) has there been anything released yet that contradicts it as “canon”?
I think the main thing people point out as a contradiction is Grooberson's comment of "no ghost sightings in 30 years." But a rebuttal to that is he's rounding up, Hollywood scripts tend to use round numbers, how detailed was his recollection/record of the Ghostbusters exploits, there was debate about what year Afterlife takes place in - 2019/2020/2021 - and some have looked at things like license plates. But I mean, 1 year more isn't that big a stretch to render TVG not canon. Vigo got defeated in the opening minutes of 1990 and TVG was in November 1991.

To me, I haven't seen anything yet to contradict it as canon (not counting some rumors about certain characters).
It would suck. Ideally, I'd want to to stay canon to the movies. In away, it was the Act 3 that connected GB1 and GB2, offered a better conclusion and wrap up to the two movies, and Afterlife could be a great epilogue to GB1, GB2, and TVG and then serve as a bridge to a new storyline with the new cast. Plus, TVG was the final time Harold Ramis portrayed Egon before his passing and thus in a way the final time as much of the original cast possible were together.

THIS! 100% I couldn’t agree with you more. For me Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and Ghostbusters The Video Game were the ideal trilogy. Afterlife like you said is the ideal way to close the original arc and bridge the gap to a new generation. :):):):):):)
mrmichaelt liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 5:01 am Well I suppose the scene where Gozer climbs out of the pit in her pre chosen form from the first film could be seen as a contradiction to the video game. In the final parts of the game Ray poses a question when Gozer returned why didn’t he take on a more suitable form to destroy the world instead of staying in the form of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Ray had a theory that Gozer must be locked into that form from their first encounter because it’s one destructor form per god per dimension. Now in the world of the comics a demigod by the name of Indulnas came into existence for the purpose of changing Gozer’s Destructor Form, of course that is the world of the comics and that’s an entirely different kettle of fish when it comes to canon. ;)
I thought about that, too. Pre-chosen form is different from destructor form. Two different things. And in TVG, we don't see in what form Gozer first manifests in. We just see Stay Puft in media res marching past the Sedgewick then the Ghostbusters blow him up. And at the end of the movie, Shandor is holding the skull of Gozer in the pre-chosen form before he tosses it aside. So head canon wise at least, what if in TVG, Gozer manifested in the same pre-chosen form off-screen then shifted back to Stay Puft. Locked in the sense Gozer can only shift to the destructor form of Stay Puft and can't have anyone choose a new one off the bat like in GB1. Plus, we have the issue that in TVG, Gozer's re-manifestation was not done properly so it returned in a weakened state.
philmorgan81 liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:I thought about that, too. Pre-chosen form is different from destructor form. Two different things. And in TVG, we don't see in what form Gozer first manifests in. We just see Stay Puft in media res marching past the Sedgewick then the Ghostbusters blow him up. And at the end of the movie, Shandor is holding the skull of Gozer in the pre-chosen form before he tosses it aside. So head canon wise at least, what if in TVG, Gozer manifested in the same pre-chosen form off-screen then shifted back to Stay Puft. Locked in the sense Gozer can only shift to the destructor form of Stay Puft and can't have anyone choose a new one off the bat like in GB1. Plus, we have the issue that in TVG, Gozer's re-manifestation was not done properly so it returned in a weakened state.
Exactly! Where as in Afterlife Gozer seems to be returning in top form and not a weakened state. :).

As far as I’m concerned I don’t see anything that has spoiled my head canon yet. ;):):):)
mrmichaelt liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 5:01 am
RichardLess wrote:As someone who knows pretty much nothing about the video game(I’ve never been into video games. I bought the GBgame, played it once or twice and that’s it) has there been anything released yet that contradicts it as “canon”?

Well I suppose the scene where Gozer climbs out of the pit in her pre chosen form from the first film could be seen as a contradiction to the video game. In the final parts of the game Ray poses a question when Gozer returned why didn’t he take on a more suitable form to destroy the world instead of staying in the form of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Ray had a theory that Gozer must be locked into that form from their first encounter because it’s one destructor form per god per dimension. Now in the world of the comics a demigod by the name of Indulnas came into existence for the purpose of changing Gozer’s Destructor Form, of course that is the world of the comics and that’s an entirely different kettle of fish when it comes to canon. ;)

Back to the game canon question, I guess you make the argument that Gozer can return to her pre chosen form because she is drawing power from her own underground temple therefore allowing her to re-enter the dimension in whatever form she desires. Now to answer your question as to weather or not the game being officially non canon would effect my enjoyment of The Video Game or Afterlife. I’d say No not at all. I just enjoy Ghostbusters. I have enjoyed, the films, the cartoons, and the comics and I have a feeling I am going to keep enjoying whatever comes next regardless if it fits into any particular canon. :):):)
Also I get the feeling gozer starts out as the mini pufts which come together into a bigger marshmallow man, which then somehow returns to the form of a Yugoslavian model.
Could be.

The torso of Gozer seems to be formed out multiple small human like forms (resembling Pompeii victims). They climb up and melt together to form the Gozer.

This probably means sacrifices are what empower Gozer, the kids think it's human sacrifices, and they throw the Puft's in there ( as they don't have enough traps) to send them to the other side when in reality they combine and reform in a twisted from of Gozer?
Anyone else starting to think about the soundtrack? I was at my cabin when the trailer dropped, which we have spotty phone service there, long story short I was late to the trailer party. I was able to watch it, but again, spotty signal. So I listened to mthe soundtracks (both 1 and 2, they are on my phone), in order to get my GB fix. Which it got me thinking, that's the one area that I am the most concerned for this film. Obviously the Ray Parker Jr song will be in the film, and unchanged. But what about the rest?

When the ghosts get released and are causing havoc, will the Mick Smiley song play in the film? It's hard to imagine another song being played during that scene. I feel like the soundtrack songs are a HUGE part of the franchise, and I don't feel that modern artists can create music that will fit the film (and give it a timeless feel), like both OG soundtracks did. Let's face it, the 2016 soundtrack was pretty weak compared to the other two.

I for one, would LOVE to have On Our Own featured at some point, even if it's just on a radio or something briefly in the film. But that's the only one from GB2 I would include (not because I don't love the soundtrack, but I feel the OG soundtrack should be the focus here).

I just don't know how Jason is going to handle the music for this film. Music has changed so much since the 80's, (and as a musician myself), I dare to say has regressed. I'm worried that we might get some cringe worthy songs like what was in 2016.

Has anyone heard anything on this front?
RichRyan1507, starang11 liked this
Im getting the impression this film might be very score heavy and not rely on contemporary music.

So big moments like Ghost attacks and Saving the day will be filled in with score music.

Callbacks to Ray Parker and Bobby Brown are welcome but I think overall it wont be a “soundtrack” heavy movie.

Which is fine, helps keep the film undated and in its own time realm.
MikeyJ122, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
As for TVG being cannon, I'm sorry but I think that ship has sailed. What about the HUGE plot hole it creates in the Peter and Dana story? So they got back together, broke up, he meets Dr. Selwig (sp) in the game, hooks up with her, but then goes back to Dana? It doesn't make sense from a realistic scenario.

I also feel strongly (based on the trailers), that Gozer is indeed the big bad again, so why even talk about the game, where Gozer returned and lost again? It just seems like convoluted story telling just have the game be cannon.

Having said that, I believe Jason is aware of EVERYTHING that is important to us fans, and as a result I could see him incorporating some aspects of the game into Afterlife. As well as not completely contradicting the game (so fans can include it in their own heads, if they choose).

I just look at it like we will have multiple "Universes" for GB now. The main timeline will be the 3 films. But the RGB timeline exists for those that love it (which includes GB1,2 and the series). The video game timeline which will include both films, and the game, but won't include the cartoon or Afterlife. Plus there is the comics (which I personally don't care about), and the 2016 film.

So long story short, multiple timelines for GB already exist. So is excluding the game from the film cannon such a bad thing? Especially since we are most likely getting a similar story here in Afterlife? Plus maybe things like the Stasis Stream, Boson Collider, etc, WILL make their way into the film. They were on the Spengler Wand.
BatDan wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:00 am Im getting the impression this film might be very score heavy and not rely on contemporary music.

So big moments like Ghost attacks and Saving the day will be filled in with score music.

Callbacks to Ray Parker and Bobby Brown are welcome but I think overall it wont be a “soundtrack” heavy movie.

Which I wouldn't mind this approach at all. But out of curiosity, which OG soundtracks songs WOULD you want to make an appearance?

For me, obviously Ray Parker jrs song will be there. Like I said, Id love to hear On Our Own, even if it was briefly. I would also like to hear Magic when the ghosts get released. Even though I prefer Cleaning up the town and Saving the day, I'm ok if they are not there. But Magic would be fun in that scene imo. But overall, a film score heavy soundtrack is fine by me.
BatDan liked this
In the trailer when Ray picks up the phone, in the background behind the phone is the same style jar they kept slime in. Cannot see if it has slime in it or not.
MikeyJ122 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:10 am
BatDan wrote: July 30th, 2021, 8:00 am Im getting the impression this film might be very score heavy and not rely on contemporary music.

Which I wouldn't mind this approach at all. But out of curiosity, which OG soundtracks songs WOULD you want to make an appearance?

For me, obviously Ray Parker jrs song will be there. Like I said, Id love to hear On Our Own, even if it was briefly. I would also like to hear Magic when the ghosts get released. Even though I prefer Cleaning up the town and Saving the day, I'm ok if they are not there. But Magic would be fun in that scene imo. But overall, a film score heavy soundtrack is fine by me.
Just the RPJ original for me.

The other songs are too scene-specific for them to have life in another film. Having “Magic” or “flip city” be repeated for a ghost attack would be way too close to home. And i think Jason wants his film have its own legs.

The only thing i can see is “savin the day” towards the end when the OGs suit up for one last hurrah towards battle.
Crazy thought; maybe that isn't Gozer at all. Maybe its a red herring like The Infinity War Commercials that included the Hulk running with the rest of the Avengers that was put there on purpose to throw people off...

Also, if there is any reference to the IDW comic at all, we should all realize that THAT would make EVERYTHING Cannon! GBVG, RGB, XGB, and ATC! Hell, even TMNT & Transformers would some how be cannon then!!!
droidguy1119 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm
groschopf wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:48 amIt's the been the last two days now. Still Isn't working. Maybe I need to clear Chrome's cache.
Happening to me now using Chrome on a Microsoft Surface.
Make sure you have Javascript enabled and no ad blockers for the site. That would be my only guess because it is working on my Chrome.
groschopf, tylergfoster liked this
AJ Quick wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:25 am
droidguy1119 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 3:12 pm Happening to me now using Chrome on a Microsoft Surface.
Make sure you have Javascript enabled and no ad blockers for the site. That would be my only guess because it is working on my Chrome.
Javascript is enabled, and GBfans is whitelisted on my adblocker. The button still isn't working.

I'll try clearing the cache this weekend and see if that clears up the issue.

Thanks AJ!

[ edit: I realized I wasn't pitching into the site and added a supporting membership. The button works after doing that. ]
groschopf wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:38 am
AJ Quick wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:25 am

Javascript is enabled, and GBfans is whitelisted on my adblocker. The button still isn't working.

I'll try clearing the cache this weekend and see if that clears up the issue.

Thanks AJ!

[ edit: I realized I wasn't pitching into the site and added a supporting membership. The button works after doing that. ]
Mine is working again too.
groschopf liked this
BatDan wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:09 pm Sometimes those “first time” reactions kinda make me confused..like sometimes its really on the surface stuff that some of these people haven't heard/seen yet and im left in shock.

Youtube reactor: “So this is my first time reaction to listening to The Beatles - Yesterday”

Me yelling at the screen: How can you have never heard that song in your entire life? Were you asleep this whole time?

But i digress..im speaking from a bias…but still! As a kid and teen i always hungry to discover and learn about movies, artists, shows, music, books, comics from across the board…like did these kids just do homework and stand around their whole life? I dunno..i dont get it.
No, but the only reason I heard The Beatles is because my parents were listening to them. Today's parents are probably listening to '80s and '90s music.

I worked with a guy who was like 20 and he straight-up told me he intentionally tended to avoid any art or culture that was from before he was born because he didn't connect to it. An extreme example for sure, I don't think most teens are out there avoiding it, but there's so much to engage with and do in the world, it's not that shocking to me that people, especially people born in the last 20 years, are busy engaging with modern stuff. If you're talking someone who's 20, at least 5, maybe as many as 10 of those years are also going to be dominated by kid material (as well as probably a lot more being outside), so, another factor in not having gotten to The Beatles.
Coover5 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:35 pm They could have been acting but it would have been just as easy to show them the trailer to react just before letting them see the movie. I think the pretending comes from acting like this is a recent video.
You can tell by Mckenna's age and hair that this is a recent video.

You hear in commentaries all the time that actors tend to avoid watching their own work. Most of them see it at the premiere and then don't watch it again, unless they happen to be invited to do a commentary. My guess is that what the cast is mostly reacting to is the finished shots, with the visual effects and everything completed.
RichardLess wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:15 amI know some of you are super obsessed with GB The Video Game being canon, my view is that it’s just too niche of a thing to matter. They most likely won’t acknowledge it, but they may not contradict either, so it can still fit within fans “head canon”.
Yeah, this is my opinion too. I get that the game was well-liked, but I tend to look at these things from a logistical standpoint, and people who haven't played the game or even heard of it will be confused if Afterlife acts like it's canon. Since the filmmakers can only realistically hope/assume the viewers have seen the two movies, it probably won't be acknowledged.
philmorgan81 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 5:41 am Exactly! Where as in Afterlife Gozer seems to be returning in top form and not a weakened state.
*flat-top
joezlo wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:14 amCrazy thought; maybe that isn't Gozer at all. Maybe its a red herring like The Infinity War Commercials that included the Hulk running with the rest of the Avengers that was put there on purpose to throw people off...
I doubt it's like, an outright fake shot created for the trailers, but I would certainly be pleased if it was a huge misdirect.
droidguy1119 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 12:00 pm
BatDan wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:09 pm Sometimes those “first time” reactions kinda make me confused..like sometimes its really on the surface stuff that some of these people haven't heard/seen yet and im left in shock.

No, but the only reason I heard The Beatles is because my parents were listening to them. Today's parents are probably listening to '80s and '90s music.

I worked with a guy who was like 20 and he straight-up told me he intentionally tended to avoid any art or culture that was from before he was born because he didn't connect to it. An extreme example for sure, I don't think most teens are out there avoiding it, but there's so much to engage with and do in the world, it's not that shocking to me that people, especially people born in the last 20 years, are busy engaging with modern stuff. If you're talking someone who's 20, at least 5, maybe as many as 10 of those years are also going to be dominated by kid material (as well as probably a lot more being outside), so, another factor in not having gotten to The Beatles.
I mean yeah, life can keep you busy sure.

…But things like Beatles, Chuck Berry, Or even Hitchcock and Wizard of Oz are staples of history.. not hearing of or about them or having some understanding is like not knowing about Gandhi or Vietnam.

I dunno, i was 20 no earlier than when GB: TVG came out…and me and my friends were pretty well versed in pop culture history back then, we actually thought new shit sucked and it wasnt even that long ago. :whatever: funny how things in society change in such little time.
Last edited by BatDan on July 30th, 2021, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joezlo wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:14 am Crazy thought; maybe that isn't Gozer at all. Maybe its a red herring like The Infinity War Commercials that included the Hulk running with the rest of the Avengers that was put there on purpose to throw people off...

Also, if there is any reference to the IDW comic at all, we should all realize that THAT would make EVERYTHING Cannon! GBVG, RGB, XGB, and ATC! Hell, even TMNT & Transformers would some how be cannon then!!!
@ *referring to bold*

If this were the case, then Afterlife, on it's own, would pretty much represent yet another dimensional timeline in IDW continuity; we won't know that for sure until GB:A is finally out in theaters.
deadderek wrote: July 28th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Ecto24601 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 4:15 pm (GB2 canon finally confirmed, thanks!!),
There was never a single reason to doubt it wouldn't be.
Sorry for late reply but until this trailer I had only seen...
...GB1 trap
...GB1 flightsuits and name patches
...Ecto-1
...no gigameter
...no slime blowers
...no dark flight suits
...no GB2 patches
...no Ecto-1A
... no dancing toaster
...no Ghostbusters savior painting

There was the slightest chance of seeing a dot matrix board or a slime sample somewhere in the dark background of Egon's hidden lab, but you needed alot of fantasy to believe it was there. Ray's occult books is the first clear visual of GB2 existing for me.
Sav C, Corey91, pizzarat liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]