Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
BustinGhosts1986 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 1:11 am Also mentioning Shandor being played by JJ Simmons is very specific, although not shown in the trailer.
J.K. Simmons was pressed in an interview whether he'd appear in the new Ghostbusters film back in February of 2019.

Seeing his name pop up in a subsequent Reddit post only indicates someone read that article or follows this board, not that they knew anything special.
Kingpin liked this
BustinGhosts1986 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 1:11 am I don't see how it's so hard to believe these leaks. Leaks like this happen all the time.
True, leaks happen... But for months the production seemed to keep a lid on things.

Meanwhile a lot of the "leaks" that were being reported and shared lacked even basic details, like Lucky and Podcast's names... The ones regarding Lucky indicated she was a classmate of Trevor's, making no mention of her working at Spinners, or that being where she likely meets him for the first time...

Even now in fact, there's nothing currently suggesting Trevor and Lucky are in school, that may get fleshed out when the film comes out, but I think there's plenty of material arguing in favour of those "leaks" being lucky guesses and hot reading of what few tidbits have either been officially announced, or have genuinely accidentally leaked.

A shrine to Gozer was likely because the first full trailer was showing a connection to Shandor and Gozer.
The Mini-Pufts first started getting talked about here back in early December 2019, following photos from that year's New York Toy Fair going online, revealing Mini-Pufts as a hidden element of one of the Stay Puft figures.

Grooberson and Callie being the Gate Keeper and Keymaster may prove to be on the money, but it's not a huge stretch when the first movie had that, and the first trailer was strongly indicating the return of the Gozer mythos in some fashion. The trailer hints at chemistry, yes... But that's not a guarantee the Keymaster/ Gate Keeper thing will happen.

It's speculated Simmons will play Shandor, however he may well be in another role entirely.
Alphagaia, tylergfoster, groschopf and 2 others liked this
For those worrying about the Delta variant... I think the fact they decided to drop this trailer and 'Thanksgiving' is a strong indication November 11 won't budge. I wouldnt be surprised if there were contingencies in place for any shutdown scenario.

I think we'll see Ghostbusters Afterlife this Fall no matter what.
pizzarat, Corey91 liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 11:54 am For those worrying about the Delta variant... I think the fact they decided to drop this trailer and 'Thanksgiving' is a strong indication November 11 won't budge. I wouldnt be surprised if there were contingencies in place for any shutdown scenario.

I think we'll see Ghostbusters Afterlife this Fall no matter what.
Yeah, except just one week later, we have a Venom: There Will Be Carnage trailer that does not give a definitive date, and that movie's opening much sooner. I do agree that whatever is happening now is almost certainly being designed with a backup plan, but I would put odds at 80/20.
Wafflerobot liked this
And they consistently make clear in every bit of advertising that Ghostbusters Afterlife will come out "November 11th EXCLUSIVELY IN MOVIE THEATERS" and they opened the Hell Gates of Merchandise.

I don't think they'll delay it again. The vaccines are working. We have another spike with the same contagion rate as January but with ten times less people being hospitalized.
We have a vaccination certification that gives us the authorization to attend outdoor and indoor events (movies, stageplays, concerts).

I have a strong psychic belief that we'll see Ghostbusters Afterlife... by the end... of the year.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
I think I’m kind of buying the idea that Egon was keeping the portal closed by a thread. Maybe the grain silos behind the house are really what holds it together and after Callie turns into the gatekeeper, she manages to pull the plug at the house, releasing everything. I’m hoping it’s a little bit more creative than that because that’s too much from ATC story wise.

Also I’m wondering the timing of Egon’s death, like did it happen within a month or so of them moving. It probably wasn’t too far removed…maybe a few months max. What do y’all think? I don’t think everything in Summerville would have held together too long without him there.
groschopf liked this
I think you're on the money. Janine made a joke in the trailer about Egon barely being able to keep the power on, and we later see the silos sparking... seems very "crude containment unit shutting down." I strongly suspect that's part of a containment field he engineered to keep a rift from opening.

Makes sense if Egon hadn't been dead for very long before things were set in motion, especially if he's trying to guide some of the events taking place from the afterlife side.

Side note: the magenta energy lines we see after the containment blows in the first film are also present when Gozer is climbing up that pit. I suspect Phoebe exploring the pit, the "something's coming" line, and Gozer crawling up are separate moments that are just spliced together for the trailer. Which leads me to a weird question... did the Ghostbusters... "kill" Gozer in 1984? Is that Gozer's ghost coming out of the pit with everything else?
Corey91 liked this
I really don't want to see the whole gatekeeper, keymaster stuff again. I think with Grooberson getting familiar with the equipment he's going to be a buster at some point. Even if he doesn't suit up this film. I do see him making the call to Ray after he's chased down by the terror dog.

I would imagine Ray hanging up on him as soon as he start's asking tech questions coming off like a fan boy. Then getting to summerville as fast as he can. As soon as he mentions the word trap Ray knows the shit's hit the fan.

With Egon's passing I think a year between his death and the mother moving in is a better guess. That depends on what is followed by Egon's will if he had one.
starang11 liked this
groschopf wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 3:44 pm I think you're on the money. Janine made a joke in the trailer about Egon barely being able to keep the power on, and we later see the silos sparking... seems very "crude containment unit shutting down." I strongly suspect that's part of a containment field he engineered to keep a rift from opening.

Makes sense if Egon hadn't been dead for very long before things were set in motion, especially if he's trying to guide some of the events taking place from the afterlife side.

Side note: the magenta energy lines we see after the containment blows in the first film are also present when Gozer is climbing up that pit. I suspect Phoebe exploring the pit, the "something's coming" line, and Gozer crawling up are separate moments that are just spliced together for the trailer. Which leads me to a weird question... did the Ghostbusters... "kill" Gozer in 1984? Is that Gozer's ghost coming out of the pit with everything else?
I don't believe Gozer can be "killed" at least not by any human Means. They Ghostbusters just sent Gozer back from where she came, they stopped her, but didn't "destroy" her. Vigo on the other hand... I'm pretty sure he's done, lol.
Corey91 liked this
That's the conventional understanding. But Gozer was in Stay Puft's form when things popped off at 55 Central Park West. The Ghostbusters might not have "killed" Gozer, but they definitely blew up the form Gozer was occupying real good.

We accept that the Ghostbusters closed to the portal to Gozer's dimension... but we never saw Gozer go back through that gate. Quite the opposite.
Kingpin wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 11:44 amEven now in fact, there's nothing currently suggesting Trevor and Lucky are in school, that may get fleshed out when the film comes out, but I think there's plenty of material arguing in favour of those "leaks" being lucky guesses and hot reading of what few tidbits have either been officially announced, or have genuinely accidentally leaked.

Grooberson is teaching summer school, so I'd assume the film take place over summer holidays.
Hey guys if you're geeky and noticed the Youtube trailers look badly compressed, there's a higher quality copy over at the Apple Trailers site:

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/son ... afterlife/

Higher bitrate and looks much better.
Sav C, Wafflerobot liked this
Kingpin wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:14 pm
deadderek wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:11 pm Hey guys if you're geeky and noticed the Youtube trailers look badly compressed
I had. What's up with that? I thought they usually posted high-def stuff for official trailers.
From what I noticed they use to compress video less from official uploads from the studios but not lately. Sadly.

It's 2021 and these trailers look like 720p compressed and just plain awful.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:28 pm First world problems man. Lol. While it is a bit odd they would release a less quality trailer at least they released the trailer right?
Enjoy your VHS tapes. Some of us care about picture quality.
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 4:00 pm I really don't want to see the whole gatekeeper, keymaster stuff again.
I hope not, and I hope that Rudd getting chased down in the trailer is just a misdirect and they don't do a full reprisal of the Louis scene. If people thought The Force Awakens was a little too safe and familiar, this would be even more obvious if it hit all those same beats (to say nothing of the heat GB 2 took for basically doing a variation on the same story structure).

I have plenty of confidence that Reitman, while obviously wanting to capture the same vibe and pay tribute to his father's work, wouldn't have done this if he was just going to end up recycling all of the same elements.
timeware, BatDan liked this
deadderek wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:34 pm
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:28 pm First world problems man. Lol. While it is a bit odd they would release a less quality trailer at least they released the trailer right?
While I do care about quality we should be happy that the trailer is out. Unless they used VHS quality filming settings for the sake of nolstagia (which I doubt) it's better then nothing.
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:44 pm
deadderek wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:34 pm

While I do care about quality we should be happy that the trailer is out. Unless they used VHS quality filming settings for the sake of nolstagia (which I doubt) it's better then nothing.
You obviously don't. You said "better than nothing." Don't try to backpeddle.

We're all happy to get a new trailer but those of who do care about picture quality the Youtube version looks horrible and is compressed like crazy.

While not outstanding 4k the Apple version is noticeably different as well as at a higher bitrate.
i'm not back peddling, you are assuming I want poor quality. I haven't read the trailers you tube comments yet but 3.8 million views later from a low quality trailer generated a hell of a lot of interest in just a few short days. Just seems trivial to nit pick about quality after waiting for something for so long. I expect better quality with the movie obviously, but this is just the trailer.
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 6:40 pm i'm not back peddling, you are assuming I want poor quality. I haven't read the trailers you tube comments yet but 3.8 million views later from a low quality trailer generated a hell of a lot of interest in just a few short days. Just seems trivial to nit pick about quality after waiting for something for so long. I expect better quality with the movie obviously, but this is just the trailer.
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say you wanted low quality, but it's obvious you're okay with what's been released.

Good for you.

But some of us wish they'd release the trailers in higher quality.

Let's all just move on.
Please and thanks for ending the current convo and getting back on topic.
groschopf wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 3:44 pm Which leads me to a weird question... did the Ghostbusters... "kill" Gozer in 1984? Is that Gozer's ghost coming out of the pit with everything else?
No, I don't think they killed Gozer in 1984 in the conventional sense. Gods, ghosts are a form of P.K.E. so energy can't be destroyed. So while they did destroy the physical Destructor Form but Gozer's energy... essence, however put, was released in that moment. I was always thought all of Gozer's energy was pulled back through the portal along with the Terror Dogs. The visual seemed to indicate whatever ecto that in the near vicinity when they crossed streams and the temple blew up was pulled in. And Egon did say, "We could reverse the particle flow through the gate." Reverse. In theory, that accounts for Dana and Louis being forcibly freed from possession although they were sealed in the charred physical forms of the dogs. So not exactly a clean exorcism that a mood slime hosing would... no, that's not too clean either. lol. Well, at least you feel like a million bucks.
deadderek, groschopf liked this
deadderek wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 6:23 pm
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:44 pm

You obviously don't. You said "better than nothing." Don't try to backpeddle.

We're all happy to get a new trailer but those of who do care about picture quality the Youtube version looks horrible and is compressed like crazy.

While not outstanding 4k the Apple version is noticeably different as well as at a higher bitrate.
Lol.

Arguing about the compression and bitrate of a trailer. I love it.

I remember waiting an entire day for the first trailer of Lord of the Rings to download. It looked like someone filmed it with a potato. And I remember thinking “this is amazing! God I love the internet”. Now excuse me while I stream a movie in 4K/ HDR on my *cell phone*

The “I remember when we couldn’t use the telephone & the internet at the same time! And you would get X amount of hours of usage per month” is my generations equivalent to “I use to walk to 10 miles to school in freezing cold in 2 feet of snow and movies cost a nickel” of my parents generation
timeware, BatDan, deadderek and 4 others liked this
starang11 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 5:35 pm
timeware wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 4:00 pm I really don't want to see the whole gatekeeper, keymaster stuff again.
I hope not, and I hope that Rudd getting chased down in the trailer is just a misdirect and they don't do a full reprisal of the Louis scene. If people thought The Force Awakens was a little too safe and familiar, this would be even more obvious if it hit all those same beats (to say nothing of the heat GB 2 took for basically doing a variation on the same story structure).

I have plenty of confidence that Reitman, while obviously wanting to capture the same vibe and pay tribute to his father's work, wouldn't have done this if he was just going to end up recycling all of the same elements.
While I do think the Force Awakens comparisons will be appropriate, I have a feeling Jason has taken things one step further than even Force Awakens. We got teases of the payoffs in TFA, but the rest of the series never really delivered on those promises. So any potential goodwill caused by TFA, was undone by the later films.

Afterlife on the other hand will deliver on the promises in the same film. So while I DO feel like we might be getting a "retread" of the original with Gozer/keymaster/zuul, the main story will be completely different. Plus as I said, any teases will get payoff in THIS film, which will make it all the more satisfying... Dare I say BETTER than TFA. I'm not saying better at the boxoffice, but perhaps an objectivly better film.
deadderek liked this
So looks like the kid's Muncher Halloween costume is up:

Love seeing the Ecto plate in there...

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]