Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
What "tropes" from the original do you guys feel won't be or will be in Afterlife?

Opening scare scene
music montage scene
Ghost montage scene
Big final battle
Catching the first ghost

The more I think about it, the more of these scenes the FILM has to have. Final battle and catching the first ghost, are a given. The ghost montage scene looks like a given as well.

My point is, the film will inevitably HAVE to follow certain Ghostbusters "beats" by nature. So a retread of Gozer, etc doesn't bother me. I have a feeling the big final battle is going to be EPIC.
groschopf liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 7:10 pmI remember waiting an entire day for the first trailer of Lord of the Rings to download.
I spent at least a couple of hours downloading a trailer for The Grinch over 56k that was smaller than a playing card.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 8:38 pmWhat "tropes" from the original do you guys feel won't be or will be in Afterlife?

Opening scare scene
music montage scene
Ghost montage scene
Big final battle
Catching the first ghost

The more I think about it, the more of these scenes the FILM has to have. Final battle and catching the first ghost, are a given. The ghost montage scene looks like a given as well.

My point is, the film will inevitably HAVE to follow certain Ghostbusters "beats" by nature.
It only has to follow those beats because it is not a story where the Ghostbusters are in business and everything is going fine. Not that I'm complaining, just saying.

I imagine the cold open, the first bust (looks like Muncher), and the big finale will all be there, although I could see the movie having the climax be more emotional than action-oriented. Thinking "no" on the busting montage or the music montage -- in general, it doesn't seem like a montage movie, since it's telling a personal story, and not one about a business.
groschopf liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 7:10 pm So while they did destroy the physical Destructor Form but Gozer's energy... essence, however put, was released in that moment. I was always thought all of Gozer's energy was pulled back through the portal along with the Terror Dogs.
That's where I'm going with this. What if Gozer's presence was basically blown in to a fine mist that's slowly been trying to reconstitute itself for decades. Hell, maybe the mood slime in GB2 was part of that, and Vigo hijacked the process—

Shit. Now I'm fanfic-ing.

Still interesting to me that both the physical presences of Gozer and the Zuul/Vinzclortho combo were stuck on our side of the gate. I'd have to think the charcoaled remains of a terror dog would become a sacred object if the minions of Gozer got their hands of it. Imagine that stone head Louis Tully found himself trapped under going on eBay.
deadderek liked this
deadderek wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 8:31 pm So looks like the kid's Muncher Halloween costume is up:

Love seeing the Ecto plate in there...
Are kids even gonna know who that is? The movie comes out after Halloween.
You know... I think I'm finally allowing myself to get excited about this film after literally decades of Ghostbusters 3 talk.
SpaceBallz wrote:
deadderek wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 8:31 pm So looks like the kid's Muncher Halloween costume is up:

That's my thinking too. Bad timing. But I guess parents might prefer putting their kids in a blue hazmat suit for this coming Halloween, depending on pandemic conditions.
SpaceBallz wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 7:55 am

My kid knows. He knows it's name and what he likes to eat and that's he blue.

It's called parenting!

I joke I joke.
groschopf liked this
Good Morning!.
I am super excited about GB:AfterLife.
I am a GB:II fan.....and with the flack that it's gotten since it's release, I hope the subtle new is real, and this movie makes sure to tie everything up nicely.....including II....and not just the Occult store, but maybe find a way to add Vigo to the lore of everything.
While 84 is the popular fave. II had better scares TBH. Yes, 84 had the classic Library scene, but the Subway scene to me was the scariest so far.
In terms of GB:TG. I hope Reitman pulled a fast one, and includes dialogue that will appease the game fans.
Then again......we can use this delayed release to our advantage :).
"No sightings in thirty years".
Game took place around 91-92?.
As long as they don't date the movie and the release is this November. That leaves breathing room for the game.
It would honestly be the first time a game adaptation was included in movie dialogue and that would be awesome.
So while the writers know what they are doing.
I can only hope II and GB:TG are tied in nicely.
WorldofthePsychic liked this
Interesting theory over at CBR:

The God of Destruction's presence has been previously teased with the Shandor Mine and a brief clip of her arm. However, everything about this second arrival seems even more dangerous than before. This means Clortho could be coming for Rudd to create another Keymaster, meaning Zuul is also on the hunt. On the other hand, Clortho may not be hunting -- rather warning whoever can understand him that something more dangerous is on the horizon.
JamesB922, groschopf liked this
Alphagaia wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:45 am
JonXCTrack wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 9:36 am

If I had to guess? The RTV.
Think that's too small for the trap on wheels. Even more so because he probably also made the thing that steers it.

Could be that ghost whistle or some new technology they have yet to reveal.
Pke taser?

Well, I think that with all this marketing rage in full swing they feel pretty confident about the November release.
I really wasn't expecting a bts clip so soon.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:52 am
Alphagaia wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:45 am

Think that's too small for the trap on wheels. Even more so because he probably also made the thing that steers it.

Could be that ghost whistle or some new technology they have yet to reveal.
Pke taser?

Well, I think that with all this marketing rage in full swing they feel pretty confident about the November release.
I really wasn't expecting a bts clip so soon.
Me neither.
I can't wait for Adam to start uploading videos about the movie. ^^
Kingpin liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:18 am Adam Savage has a very important announcement:

I can't think of a better person to present to us the 2021 version of Making Ghostbusters.

The prop shots! And that's just the preview!
groschopf wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:26 am Love that part where they open the pack in the trailer.
And an interesting new way to animate the Cyclotron lights. I guess there's a particular reason why they went for a physical spinning mechanism over four flashing lights... I guess to maybe make it look more like a spinning reactor.
Jimsy33, deadderek, RedSpecial and 3 others liked this
Just to think of that looooooooooooong dry spell with nothing going on and now BAM!

Marketing machine is on, and every day I wake up to something new.

I feel like a damn kid again!
Kingpin wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 11:35 am
JonXCTrack wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:18 am Adam Savage has a very important announcement:

I can't think of a better person to present to us the 2021 version of Making Ghostbusters.

groschopf wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 8:26 am Love that part where they open the pack in the trailer.
And an interesting new way to animate the Cyclotron lights. I guess there's a particular reason why they went for a physical spinning mechanism over four flashing lights... I guess to maybe make it look more like a spinning reactor.
It looks like Adam’s pack has used the design of the reboots cyclotron. I really hope that isn’t in the movie. You don’t mess with perfection.

The proton pack is just such a beautiful, wonderful prop. Even though I know it isn’t real, the fact that it has a sort of internal logic makes it feel like it could work. There’s a real verisimilitude to it. The proton pack & the lightsaber are, to me, the coolest sci fi props ever made.

Plus they look so cool when the GB’s are in their jumpsuits. Stephen Dane built the original packs, right? But did he also design them?

In the commentary for the trailer Reitman talks about how Ghostbusters is usually a kids first exposure to horror and it’s so true. As a kid? I HATED horror movies or ghost movies. They terrified me. I didn’t even like the music from The X-Files. I didn’t like anything scary. Yet Ghostbusters & GB2 we’re movies I could watch over & over again. It’s weird. There was something about the fact that the Ghostbusters could conquer the supernatural & were like superheroes.

As a kid, when I would get scared at night during a thunderstorm or after a scary movie, I’d always sleep with my proton pack right next to me. The blue plastic one from RGB. lol. Stupid kid me thought if a ghost or monster came into my room, he’d get one look at my proton pack & know I was ready to tango. Since a ghost or monster never bothered me, maybe it worked.
Kingpin wrote:

Yeah, maybe there's a nice close up of the pack turning on and the four lights blinking sequentially was visually a bit dull, so they did something to create some motion blur. The pack is also slightly modified, so the pack may have added functions that weren't present in prior films. That may require the cyclotron lights to do something we haven't seen before, so they had to create something new inside the pack to pull it off.
Kingpin wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 11:35 am And an interesting new way to animate the Cyclotron lights. I guess there's a particular reason why they went for a physical spinning mechanism over four flashing lights... I guess to maybe make it look more like a spinning reactor.
That is KILLING me. I had the idea to do that with the wooden pack I built in 1998. I wanted to use a dismantled revolving light to make the cyclotron look like a reactor, but I just wound up putting very bright 12 volt motorcycle brake lights in it instead.

By the time I was more mechanically inclined and LEDs were more common when I built my a pack each for my wife and in in 2013… well, then I want to go for accuracy instead.

But I LOVE that they ran with that. I suspect the original packs went with the sequential lights for the same reasons I did — weight and technological limitations.
deadderek wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 12:16 pm I feel like a damn kid again!
Especially after the last year and a half, this is making me feel so, soooo good.
RichardLess wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 12:57 pm In the commentary for the trailer Reitman talks about how Ghostbusters is usually a kids first exposure to horror and it’s so true. As a kid? I HATED horror movies or ghost movies. They terrified me. I didn’t even like the music from The X-Files. I didn’t like anything scary. Yet Ghostbusters & GB2 we’re movies I could watch over & over again. It’s weird. There was something about the fact that the Ghostbusters could conquer the supernatural & were like superheroes.
Very same. Presenting a villain without someone that could be beat it always felt offputting. But putting mere mortals up against incredible forces – and they win the day by being scientific, having a sense of humor in the face of danger, using tools they built themselves, and being resilient? Those are superheroes I can believe in.

And hey, look — it’s that pack Adam had in the background on a previous Tested video, hidden in plain sight in the YouTube cover image. I mean, look at some of the wire configuration... this at least has to be a prototype form the modified Spengler pack, right?

deadderek liked this

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]