Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I posted this on facebook and it was denied for being a spoiler.. I have got a ok to show my work from Ghostcorps ..because I'm using leaked images from hallmark for the build.. so I'm not leaking anything new ..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2733118363
cristovalc liked this
By Far451
Hi,
Can you confirm where the Facebook pictures are from?
I'm interested in building the same, I have a couple of working ghost traps, and have done lots of RC work.
I did find the images on the Facebook page did not match the images in the trailer.
The Rims seemed right, but the tires are ribbed in the trailer. I don't think it's because they are spinning so fast, but I could be wrong.

I plan to post the build here, but am at a standstill trying to figure out the tires and chassis. From the picture and original ghost trap measurements, the wheel base is approx 8" or 180mm, the wheels have a 3.5" or 80mm hub and are about 6" or 150mm in dia. For the life of me, I cant find ribbed tires that match those sizes.
Any hints would be great.
darthbuster liked this
By tobycj
Far451 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:17 am Hi,
Can you confirm where the Facebook pictures are from?
I'm interested in building the same, I have a couple of working ghost traps, and have done lots of RC work.
I did find the images on the Facebook page did not match the images in the trailer.
The Rims seemed right, but the tires are ribbed in the trailer. I don't think it's because they are spinning so fast, but I could be wrong.

I plan to post the build here, but am at a standstill trying to figure out the tires and chassis. From the picture and original ghost trap measurements, the wheel base is approx 8" or 180mm, the wheels have a 3.5" or 80mm hub and are about 6" or 150mm in dia. For the life of me, I cant find ribbed tires that match those sizes.
Any hints would be great.
User Austin has ID'd the wheels/tyres here
scigro liked this
By Far451
OK, Tires ordered.

Now the flashlight and the other headlight, and the the periscope thing near the read lamp on the back.
OK and I guess the suspension, it does look like it is a take off from a Traxxas vehicle, and it sure appears to move quickly in the trailer. - I don't think that fast would be practical for most folks though.

I will keep the build updated here.

here is the picture from the trailer for reference.
danimal, darthbuster liked this
By tobycj
No one seems to have ID'd the torches yet, or the chassis it is on, but a Traxxas seems to be the general consensus for that. mburkit pointed out that at least some of the footage in the film is CGI, so unclear quite how fast the real prop can actually go! Someone else suggested the bit on the battery box might be an aerial of some sort?
Far451, RedSpecial liked this
By Far451
I looked at the Traxxas site, there are only a couple of vehicles they make that would fit the bill. It appears that they do go ridiculously fast in the 60mph range. I never thought that was possible for R/C cars, but I guess it’s true.
Single strut front and back and the bumper in the front has a distinct shape.
I managed to design and print the headlamp and back “antenna” I could not find either anywhere I looked. Now to start on the trap itself…
It does look like the deck is all one level, the older traps appeared to have the back box slightly lower.
Last edited by Far451 on August 6th, 2021, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthbuster liked this
By Far451
As far as i can tell, this is the most likely candidate for the drive train of the RtV. The Traxxas Hoss 4x4 vxl
https://traxxas.com/products/landing/hoss-4x4-vxl/

*********CORRECTION********
The chasis of the RTV has been positively identified as a Traxxas Stampede 4x4. ( By Ben Eadie, who worked on the film)

The ground clearance is correct ( the tires are different) the wheelbase on the RtV is shorter( by about 3.5" to 8" from 11.5"), but the design of this RC car allows for an easy shortening of the front drive shaft. The front bumper is the right shape, and the suspension is the right type and also is in the right place.

Since the tires were identified as Traxxas and they are for a 1/10 scale car, this model is the closest thing I can figure.
Many other Traxxas vehicles have the wrong suspension (visible in the trailer if you go frame by frame), or wrong chassis layout. or wrong ground clearance(The Stampede is too high).
Last edited by Far451 on December 9th, 2021, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthbuster liked this
By Far451
The wheels arrived. If you are curious about them, here are the details in pictures. The rims are black even though they look a little grey in the picture.
Last edited by Far451 on August 5th, 2021, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedSpecial liked this
By Arty V
If the RC car is set up for it then absolutely it can "keep up" with a full sized car.
RC cars enjoy a high power-to-weight ratio and a relatively small mass allowing them to keep up or out perform full-scale cars at times. The RC10 that was used in the Clint Eastwood film "The Dead Pool" regularly out-paced the the stunt cars while filming on streets in San Francisco. And that was 35 years ago.

As far as the highly modified and customized car/RTV in the trailer....it sure looks fast enough to me
zeta otaku liked this
By zeta otaku
Arty V wrote: August 5th, 2021, 4:44 pm If the RC car is set up for it then absolutely it can "keep up" with a full sized car.
RC cars enjoy a high power-to-weight ratio and a relatively small mass allowing them to keep up or out perform full-scale cars at times. The RC10 that was used in the Clint Eastwood film "The Dead Pool" regularly out-paced the the stunt cars while filming on streets in San Francisco. And that was 35 years ago.

As far as the highly modified and customized car/RTV in the trailer....it sure looks fast enough to me
I'll be honest, I just assumed the RTV in the latest trailer was CGI! That is SO cool that these things are that fast.
Far451 liked this
By Arty V
All of the scenes of the RTV in trailer2 are totally possible in camera without VFX. Maybe we will see scenes with the RTV that were enhanced by VFX and there may be some that are 100% VFX. I sure hope not. The R/C nerd in me wants all the RTV stuff to be practical.... :wink:
zeta otaku, Kingpin liked this
By Far451
I mounted the wheels on a Traxxas Stampede 4x4 with wheel hub extenders and enlargers ( from 12 to 17mm and 30mm extension)
I realize that this likely isn't the right host drivetrain, but the Hoss was double the price. I did see many similarities, and from what I can tell I will be able to make this work. I will be changing the camber links (these are grey plastic) to black metal links.
The rear shocks are too high, so I've ordered smaller ones and will switch those out, and center drive shaft needs to be a whole lot shorter, so I ordered a metal one that I can trim down.
I foresee a lot of work making this look right.

I've also been mocking up the rear box on the trap portion. It's a lot longer than the other GB1 and 2 traps. I've added the rear box top on the top of the GB2 trap to see the difference. It's just a mock up for now. If anyone has other images of the RTV please feel free to post them here. I have very little to go on so far.

Arty V, RedSpecial, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
By Far451
I cut down the Traxxas Stampede frame so the wheelbase is 210mm. That's as close as I could figure with the pictures we have.
It was a little tricky for the internal workings, I had to move the steering servo to the opposite side, thankfully I was able to design and print the steering arm for the left side without too much trouble.( That being 5 failed attempts.)
I also cut the sides down so it is the width of an original ghost trap. The frame is held together with more 3d printed parts and M4 screws (Traxxas uses metric screws.) it seems sturdy. I'll wait for the new drive shaft to try it out.
By Far451
I was told by a youtuber that the pictures of the RTV are from a Sony Ghostbusters app in the equipment section. So I have more pictures to share!

It does show some more details that I just could not see before.
1- The doors have solid actuators at both the front and rear of the doors, at the midway point of the door.This is honestly a smart and simple way of making them work. I had planned on doing it this way but hidden, now I don't have to hide!
2- The shocks are all black, are both short (usually a rear shock is bigger) and look very much like Traxxas big bore aluminum shocks. Well, I just took a sharpie to my grey shock and it looks just fine!
3- The shock springs are red. ( Traxxas does sell this color) So I spray painted mine...
4- There appears to be a clear LED where the barcode used to be. It's off to the side.
5- the handle has a screw in the side of the support
6- the second "flashlight" has what appears to be 2 grub screws holding the flashlight in. The other side does not have this.

here is the sharpie drawn on and painted spring shock: ( The front end -so far- is in this picture too)

of interest is the regular trap that has better details of the clear LED and door opening mechanism:
By Kingpin
Far451 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 11:09 pm 4- There appears to be a clear LED where the barcode used to be. It's off to the side.
On the original Trap props, there was a small bulb to the right of the bargraph on the forward indicator... This bulb lit up after the bargraph had illuminated.

It's certainly likely that for practicality it's been replaced with an LED.

I believe the RTV has the bargraph, it's just harder to see due to the way it's been achieved on the prop... I think you can just make it out in this photo:

Far451 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 11:09 pm6- the second "flashlight" has what appears to be 2 grub screws holding the flashlight in. The other side does not have this.
These appear to roughly correspond with the two cap-head screws that hold the side piece against the front indicator.
Far451 liked this
By Far451
A little more done. The width is 6mm wider than a normal ghost trap, and the length is off as well.
The sides are designed and so is the front end. I have some adjustments to do on the front end, it needs to be lower and further out front.

The next part to design is the top and doors. I've had a hard time finding something that looks like the door opening arms. they look silver and round on the end. I may end up having to design something if I can't find it. ( help!)

here is the latest picture.
RedSpecial, drsyn71, tobycj and 3 others liked this
By Far451
OK so I can't help myself, I was so excited with the overnight print and now have the top of the RTV on.
I put the front on properly as well.
The light still needs some work, it's a 1.5v light and I need it to be 5v, so that's a future thing. There are still a lot of finicky little sniggly bits to fix, but in general it's taking shape.
zeta otaku, drsyn71, RedSpecial and 3 others liked this
By Far451
Hi Cambo, it hasn't been a walk in the park, so to your point it may not be for everyone. I've printed 7 different versions of the rear box before it was right ( right as far as I can tell anyway)

One reason I'm making (almost) everything in CAD for a 3d printer, is that it is easily repeated. That means a person who may not have the design skill can still put the pieces together. The truck chassis, I have to admit, takes some finesse to cut in half and put back together, but the rest of it should be paint by numbers when I'm finished.
One issue some folks will have with the RTV project is the price, I have dropped almost $800(Canadian dollars mind you) so far in parts and plastic.
Donor Traxxas truck -$400
Tires-$100
New Radio control unit -$120 ( I want more than 2 channels so I can control the doors and laser smoke show- more on that later)
Plastic $90 ( 3kg or 3 rolls) but that includes all the failures.
car parts- (drive shaft, shock tower and new shocks) -$80
that doesn't include the small parts I have - screws paint, electronics

On the upside, I love making stuff, it looks cool and my son is anxious to take it out for a rip!
drsyn71 liked this
By MarkMjsy
Hi,

I’m really enjoying watching this come together! Some fantastic work going on..

I’m also building a RTV. Waiting for parts to arrive at the moment. It’s interesting as I’m going a slightly different way but after read your posts I think I might have to revisit a little bit here and there as I build!

Keep up the great work dude!! :cool:
Far451, darthbuster liked this
By Grymlock
This is amazing!! Fantastic work, thank you so much for sharing! =) I've got the wheels here; waiting on a Spirit Ghost trap and an Arrma Granite Voltage 2wd to serve as the base for mods. Can't wait to get started!
Far451 liked this
By Bloodvayne
Any leads on that left front mounted device? I keep google photo browsing Gun/Helmet/Mask/Rail/POV mounted Camera's as the milling on the body comes close to some things I find. And I would like to think Podcast would have a POV view maybe somehow tied into the Goggles while driving the RTV from inside the Ecto.

As far as the flashlight goes. I am still certain it is a helmet mounted light, seeing as though they come from a "mining" town. As I guess you could say the grip bands/milling (not sure of actual lingo) on the flighlight bulb housing are wide for glove usage. But still can't find an accurate representation.

Great progress so far man!

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]