Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
mrmichaelt wrote: February 17th, 2021, 5:49 pm On a related note, Tom Waltz went on a Twitter tear teasing IDW's TMNT content for 2021. And one tweet was about Chi-You.
https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1362162921552322560
Chi-You? The guy from TMNT/GB mini crossover? Wonder what this could mean?
By mrmichaelt
*NormalGamer* wrote: February 17th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Chi-You? The guy from TMNT/GB mini crossover? Wonder what this could mean?
Yep. But it looks like a big arc in the TMNT comics this year will be centered on the Pantheon and their game so maybe Chi-You finally breaks out and rejoins his family.

EDIT 2/19: May solicits, no GB.

EDIT 3/26: June solicits, no GB.

EDIT: 4/23: July solicits, no GB.

EDIT: 5/20: August solicits, no GB.

EDIT: 6/25: September solicits, no GB.
I was thinking about this recently, IDW has been having financial problems in recent years. With Afterlife coming out soon, I wonder if Sony raised the ghostbusters licensing fee and IDW can't afford it?
Just received the latest via e-mail from Erik Burnham's TinyLetter Newsletter that I subscribed to and this the latest so far on IDW Ghostbusters:
Good news? Work for hire has been going well – I have Transformers: Beast Wars written through issue #12 (coming out next February, I think?) and I’m working on a new miniseries for spring of 2022 (it hasn’t been announced yet... but is something I’ve worked on before – and before you ask, it’s not Ghostbusters!)

What’s up with Ghostbusters? People have been asking. Look: I’ll be ready when they need me. But right now, the pause is above my pay grade. If I speculate, I may irritate Sony, IDW, or both! And I don’t want to irritate any of these fine folks. I love working with them! (And the only reason I say this much is… I’ve been asked a lot.) So... let’s don’t get me in trouble!
In other words: Until GB Afterlife finally releases, anything IDW GB comics is sealed tight under wraps unless stated otherwise.

If you wanna subscribe for the newsletter, here's the link:

https://tinyletter.com/erikburnham
zeta otaku, mrmichaelt liked this
*NormalGamer* wrote: July 19th, 2021, 10:00 amJust received the latest via e-mail from Erik Burnham's TinyLetter Newsletter that I subscribed to and this the latest so far on IDW Ghostbusters:
Good news? Work for hire has been going well – I have Transformers: Beast Wars written through issue #12 (coming out next February, I think?) and I’m working on a new miniseries for spring of 2022 (it hasn’t been announced yet... but is something I’ve worked on before – and before you ask, it’s not Ghostbusters!)

What’s up with Ghostbusters? People have been asking. Look: I’ll be ready when they need me. But right now, the pause is above my pay grade. If I speculate, I may irritate Sony, IDW, or both! And I don’t want to irritate any of these fine folks. I love working with them! (And the only reason I say this much is… I’ve been asked a lot.) So... let’s don’t get me in trouble!
In other words: Until GB Afterlife finally releases, anything IDW GB comics is sealed tight under wraps unless stated otherwise.

If you wanna subscribe for the newsletter, here's the link:

https://tinyletter.com/erikburnham
I am subscribed to that newsletter. I got super excited when I saw "Ghostbusters" in it but as I read on and saw it was the same ol'...

EDIT: October solicits - Yep, still nothing.

July 1 marked one years since the last comic released, Year One #4. Still no official comment from Sony or IDW. Wild.

EDIT 8/20: November solicits - Nothing.
By RatedPG
Just checked IDW's website today, and the GB page has been completely taken down. In addition to some of the other speculation online, I'm wondering if the removal also had to do with the comics filling in backstory between GBII and Afterlife. If it didn't mesh with whatever's in the new movie, maybe it caused problems. Regardless, it's looking more and more like it's truly over. :(
RatedPG wrote: September 8th, 2021, 2:11 pm Just checked IDW's website today, and the GB page has been completely taken down. In addition to some of the other speculation online, I'm wondering if the removal also had to do with the comics filling in backstory between GBII and Afterlife. If it didn't mesh with whatever's in the new movie, maybe it caused problems. Regardless, it's looking more and more like it's truly over. :(
This is what's left right now at the site for IDW Ghostbusters:

https://www.idwpublishing.com/?s=ghostb ... mit=Search

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product-c ... ostbusters

If they were really removed, IDW would've done so a long time ago.
groschopf wrote: September 8th, 2021, 2:44 pm I hope not. The talent at IDW did a wonderful job of expanding the Ghostbusters universe while simultaneously connecting it all together. They kept the torch lit.
Same. At this point, i'm very satisfied that IDW took the route it's taken to expand the GB universe/multiverse and it did it so well that nothing's contradicted.
groschopf, robbritton liked this
By mrmichaelt
RatedPG wrote: September 8th, 2021, 2:11 pm Just checked IDW's website today, and the GB page has been completely taken down. In addition to some of the other speculation online, I'm wondering if the removal also had to do with the comics filling in backstory between GBII and Afterlife. If it didn't mesh with whatever's in the new movie, maybe it caused problems. Regardless, it's looking more and more like it's truly over. :(
I don't think Sony is afraid the fanbase is that dumb that we can't tell one continuity from another continuity, otherwise why would they be uploading episodes of two animated series on their YouTube account? Idk, such a mishandling on Sony and IDW's part leaving us in the dark about what's going on.
It would be really sad indeed, if this is the end for IDW Ghostbusters comics. I didn't know about the comic series since about 2 or 3 years ago, but quickly became a fan of the expanded timeline and stunning artwork once I got my hands on the first hardcover and realized how closely they follow the original movies and characters - it really feels like a proper continuation of the main story line. I then started to collect / read all other comics.

To me, the IDW comics are what is keeping Ghostbusters alive for me (until Afterlife comes out) and is the only way to get new story pieces, jokes and adventueres with the original crew.

I'm not sure whether Sony really is afraid of having multiple continuities, which would be a real shame, or whether it really is just a licensing deal. Even with the current IDW timeline there are ways to "force" the story towards the Afterlife one - you know, there are gods that could just alter timelines and reset stuff as a deus ex machina. I'd love for Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening to continue with Afterlife as well. That would be a perfect chance for some storylines that cover the time in between the movies or expand the Afterlife universe with new story lines for the new characters.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By Bison256
LouisZeddemore wrote: September 9th, 2021, 3:43 am I'm not sure whether Sony really is afraid of having multiple continuities, which would be a real shame, or whether it really is just a licensing deal. Even with the current IDW timeline there are ways to "force" the story towards the Afterlife one - you know, there are gods that could just alter timelines and reset stuff as a deus ex machina. I'd love for Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening to continue with Afterlife as well. That would be a perfect chance for some storylines that cover the time in between the movies or expand the Afterlife universe with new story lines for the new characters.
I don't think sony cares if there are multiple continuities. I honestly believe IDW simply can no longer afford the licence.
Bison256 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 6:48 am
LouisZeddemore wrote: September 9th, 2021, 3:43 am I'm not sure whether Sony really is afraid of having multiple continuities, which would be a real shame, or whether it really is just a licensing deal. Even with the current IDW timeline there are ways to "force" the story towards the Afterlife one - you know, there are gods that could just alter timelines and reset stuff as a deus ex machina. I'd love for Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening to continue with Afterlife as well. That would be a perfect chance for some storylines that cover the time in between the movies or expand the Afterlife universe with new story lines for the new characters.
I don't think sony cares if there are multiple continuities. I honestly believe IDW simply can no longer afford the licence.
Indeed. That's the most likely scenario unfortunately. It's just strange that no comments about it. It's not a big deal that licenses run out and sometimes get too expensive, but all parties involved just gave vague answers so far.

However, the Men in Black and Ghostbusters board game is still being promoted as two days ago. Not sure how the licensing deal works, whether they seperate between board games and comics that particular item is licensed seperately.
By Fritz
LouisZeddemore wrote: September 9th, 2021, 8:19 am It's just strange that no comments about it.
In my experience, it sadly isn't all that unusual. For example, I'm a collector of the classic Disney comic line (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, etc) and IDW didn't say much when they fired the entire localization team a few years ago, nor when they basically dropped the line entirely last year during the pandemic.

And it's not just IDW--the previous Disney publisher, Boom, pretty much did the same thing: dropped titles without warning and then cancelled the entire line with basically no comment.

I think a lot of these guys either don't want to comment on the matter because it might make them look bad, or they're hamstrung by their licensing deals, possibly NDAs that don't expire when the actual license does. That last part's only a guess, though.
LouisZeddemore liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: September 9th, 2021, 1:31 pm It's also possible whatever is causing the pause on GB IDW is related to Afterlife's delay and we'll hear something definitive once it releases and they see how it performs.
This is the outcome i'm hanging on to and it's only months away until GB Afterlife's November release in theaters; regarding IDW GB, something's gotta give, sooner or later.
By RatedPG
I hope it's just a hiatus, as well, as I loved the books. Schoening's art is fantastic, and I can hear the actors' voices coming through Burnham's scripts. Just seems odd that it's no longer listed with the rest of IDW's series anymore. Time will tell, either way.
By Fritz
mrmichaelt wrote: September 9th, 2021, 5:28 pm I'm skeptical of that theory because they have other licenses that in theory are way more expensive like TMNT, Transformers, and G.I. Joe to name a few.
True. But if those books sell enough more copies, that might make the license cost easier for IDW to bear and justify.

For all my complaints about the IDW GB books becoming so crossover heavy, they were well done and the enthusiasm of the creative team showed. Like everyone else, I hope they eventually get to come back.
By Bison256
I wonder if it's also a issue of timing. IDW isn't doing great, maybe the license expired at bad time for IDW and the fee for the ghostbusters license likely went up due to afterlife's pending release. At this point I expect an announcement of Boom studios ghostbusters series. They seem to publishing more licensed comics these days.
By Kingpin
Bison256 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 9:54 am Though I have to wonder why would Disney announce this but Sony wouldn't?
The immediate conclusion would be that the IDW series isn't cancelled, but on long-term hiatus, as others have speculated.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By mrmichaelt
Well, that's just Disney being Disney. They don't let people play in their sandbox for long. I would say that bodes well for Ghostbusters continuing at IDW.

Also, today is the 10th anniversary of when the first issue of the monthly series was released. :)
*NormalGamer* liked this
I'm just glad we got the run we had. I wish they'd re-issue the hardback collections so I could save some shelf space.

Oh and glad we got a substantial amount of Dan Schoening's Ghostbusters artwork. I'd still love a ghost compendium of his work for another Tobin's - although Badoochi, Yurcaba and others have taken up the mantle in that regard. This is truly a golden age for GB fans.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]