Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Davideverona wrote: October 16th, 2021, 1:06 am Sn a totally unrelated note, we just found out that we're having a second child. In this time of new life for my favorite franchise, a new life is expected to come into my world.
And my wife agreed on the name Dana if it's a girl.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You must be bursting with joy, David. Very happy for you and your family!
JohnnyKCups, Davideverona, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
I don't want to sound like i'm trying to moderate, i'm just giving some friendly advice. Can we stop with the delusional's and absurds when disagreeing with each other? I'm guilty of taking it personally myself but it ends up getting people heated and de railing the thread. Oh and David congrats on the kid!
ZedR, groschopf, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
My only complaint is that the movie isn’t coming sooner!

And no, I’m not bitter that this was the first NYCC I’ve missed in like 6 years…. Nope NOT BITTER AT ALL! :walterpeck:
zeta otaku, groschopf, Sav C liked this
Scum wrote: October 16th, 2021, 7:27 am this was the first NYCC I’ve missed in like 6 years….
timeware wrote: October 16th, 2021, 7:12 am I don't want to sound like i'm trying to moderate, i'm just giving some friendly advice. Can we stop with the delusional's and absurds when disagreeing with each other? I'm guilty of taking it personally myself but it ends up getting people heated and de railing the thread.
timeware makes a great point. Saying those sort of things in a real life conversation with body language, tone, volume, and facial expressions that would clarify it as humor or hyperbole. A lot of that gets lost in translation to a typed out format. Just stuff to watch out for :)
zeta otaku, timeware liked this
MagicPrime wrote:
Davideverona wrote: October 16th, 2021, 1:06 am Someone recently tracked down the exact amount of time the characters were present on screen in the first two movies.

Turns out, the Ghostbusters were in it for 30 minutes more or less. Janine and Louis about 10 minutes.
Slimer and Gozer 1 minute.
And they were the protagonists.

This time I'd expect them to have a Janine/Louis amount of time.

On a totally unrelated note, we just found out that we're having a second child. In this time of new life for my favorite franchise, a new life is expected to come into my world.
A child?!
LOL!!!! I spit out my ghostbusters cereal when I saw this this morning! Thank you!

Also, congratulations @Davideverona on the new child!
groschopf, Davideverona liked this
groschopf wrote: October 16th, 2021, 6:57 am
Davideverona wrote: October 16th, 2021, 1:06 am Sn a totally unrelated note, we just found out that we're having a second child. In this time of new life for my favorite franchise, a new life is expected to come into my world.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You must be bursting with joy, David. Very happy for you and your family!
Well, I can't say it was a surprise because we accurately planned for it.... But yes, I'm in heaven 😁
groschopf liked this
At the end of the second trailer, Gooberson and the kids are watching a old ghostbusters commercial on youtube , the one that says "Ghostbusters we're ready to believe you" the phone number thats shows up 555-2368 at the end, is it that number they dial to reach Ray at the ocult book shop ?
RichardLess wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:28 amI gotta say. This is ridiculous and embarrassing that we can’t talk about a movie without it being considered “incendiary”. A movie that came out 5 years ago.
I accept the rule, but I also think it was kind of silly the way my previous post was edited. I get not wanting to start a fight in the thread about something off-topic (and fully agree, even as someone guilty of bringing that conversation in before there was a rule), but losing a passive reference that one can still basically see between the lines on doesn't seem to accomplish much (which is not to say I want my post to be deleted, I'm just speaking objectively).
RichardLess wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:28 amYou know what I’m noticing? A lot of the people out there making such noise and turning the reviews for GBA into a political thing, they aren’t “fans”. Not like us. Most of them are just generic movie or pop culture commentators.
I also think it's a mistake to jump to conclusions like this. How do you know those people didn't grow up on Ghostbusters just like we did? There is no standard for what constitutes a "true fan," and there shouldn't be either. It doesn't mean anything. Case in point:
RichardLess wrote: October 16th, 2021, 3:15 amI know a lot of people here disagree and it’s the concept that excites them. Those people aren’t delusional. That’s just what they personally love about the franchise.
Just put some of these pop culture commentators into your own understanding that some people want and care about different things, and that doesn't make those feelings invalid.
Congratulations David! That’s fantastic news!
tylergfoster wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:33 pm
RichardLess wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:28 amYou know what I’m noticing? A lot of the people out there making such noise and turning the reviews for GBA into a political thing, they aren’t “fans”. Not like us. Most of them are just generic movie or pop culture commentators.
I also think it's a mistake to jump to conclusions like this. How do you know those people didn't grow up on Ghostbusters just like we did? There is no standard for what constitutes a "true fan," and there shouldn't be either. It doesn't mean anything. Case in point:
I’m not one for gatekeeping, however I think to be a fan you need to rewatch the work from time to time, follow developments related to it, and talk about the work with other fans. Guidelines, not rules of course. And I could be wrong.

Let’s take me and Star Wars for instance. I like Star Wars a lot. I rewatch them occasionally. I know some trivia about the originals, but I don’t know that much about them. I wouldn’t go to a board and talk about them. The only time I interact with Star Wars news is when it breaks into the mainstream. I don’t think I count as a fan of Star Wars.

I realize that each individual makes fandom personal for themselves—they decide the terms of their fandom. But I think Richard is right in his hunch that many of the more divisive commentators tend to be engaging with Ghostbusters because it’s contemporary and mainstream again, and probably don’t think of themselves as Ghostbusters fans.
deadderek, timeware, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
I also think it's a mistake to jump to conclusions like this. How do you know those people didn't grow up on Ghostbusters just like we did? There is no standard for what constitutes a "true fan," and there shouldn't be either. It doesn't mean anything. Case in point:]
Not when a thousand articles/reviews pop up with all the same talking points. Some might have grown up with Ghostbusters like we had but it got pretty difficult to differentiate critics with agendas, from fans who just liked that movie, from critics with agenda's that never saw said movie and just wanted to start stuff.

The last bit was a tongue twister i'm sure but I read those reviews that popped up in the main news feed and they pretty much copied off of each other. I really wish the news feed had a history archive.

Before Afterlife got delayed the first time I think we started seeing some negative articles pop up then it died down once the delay took place.
deadderek liked this
I think it's safe to say the critics who spend half a article going on about a five year old movie, insult long time fans of the 1984 original and disparage the cartoon aren't real fans... nor do they tend to be good at writing.

Now that's not to say only fans can review a movie. But call me old fashioned, but if you're going to review something you need to keep in mind what the general audience enjoys. Not what you the critic enjoy. That includes not injecting your politics into everything.
Wafflerobot, deadderek, timeware and 1 others liked this
tylergfoster wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:33 pm
RichardLess wrote: October 15th, 2021, 11:28 amI gotta say. This is ridiculous and embarrassing that we can’t talk about a movie without it being considered “incendiary”. A movie that came out 5 years ago.
I accept the rule, but I also think it was kind of silly the way my previous post was edited. I get not wanting to start a fight in the thread about something off-topic (and fully agree, even as someone guilty of bringing that conversation in before there was a rule), but losing a passive reference that one can still basically see between the lines on doesn't seem to accomplish much (which is not to say I want my post to be deleted, I'm just speaking objectively).
RichardLess wrote: October 16th, 2021, 3:15 amI know a lot of people here disagree and it’s the concept that excites them. Those people aren’t delusional. That’s just what they personally love about the franchise.
Just put some of these pop culture commentators into your own understanding that some people want and care about different things, and that doesn't make those feelings invalid.
I didn’t say their feelings are invalid did I? Read what I wrote. I said these are generic pop culture commentators, like The Geeks & Gamers crowd for example, they are(and their ilk) turning this into a political thing. These aren’t dedicated Ghostbuster channels or websites. They are just movie/TV commentators by and large. They say the toxic political shit, then that gets construed into “Ghostbusters fans are at it again…”.
deadderek, timeware, Sav C liked this
Romain wrote: October 17th, 2021, 3:07 pm SOS Fantômes : L’Héritage as it is known here)
I like the translation of "Ghostbusters" in Spanish and Portuguese better: Los cazafantasmas/Os Caça-Fantasmas, "The Ghost Hunters." Also the foreign language subtitles titles really make afterlife sound like a spin off.
Bison256 wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:42 pm
Romain wrote: October 17th, 2021, 3:07 pm SOS Fantômes : L’Héritage as it is known here)
I like the translation of "Ghostbusters" in Spanish and Portuguese better: Los cazafantasmas/Os Caça-Fantasmas, "The Ghost Hunters." Also the foreign language subtitles titles really make afterlife sound like a spin off.
I’ve actually never really used “SOS Fantômes” myself. Even when I was a young kid who didn’t speak English, I said “Ghostbusters.” That’s probably because of the theme song. And seeing that I never say “SOS Fantômes” my 4 year old daughter doesn’t say it as well. She says Ghostbusters even though it’s still a bit hard to pronounce for her.

That being said, “SOS Fantômes” is a pretty witty name as it copies the names exterminator companies sometimes have in France.
Last edited by Kingpin on October 18th, 2021, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote coding
Romain wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:18 am
I’ve actually never really used “SOS Fantômes” myself. Even when I was a young kid who didn’t speak English, I said “Ghostbusters.” That’s probably because of the theme song. And seeing that I never say “SOS Fantômes” my 4 year old daughter doesn’t say it as well. She says Ghostbusters even though it’s still a bit hard to pronounce for her.
Somewhere, the members of the Académie Française are very upset and they don't know why. Are English language movies subbed or dubbed in France?
Bison256 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 4:08 am
Somewhere, the members of the Académie Française are very upset and they don't know why. Are English language movies subbed or dubbed in France?
Both. I want to watch Afterlife dubbed first with my wife and I'll also see it dubbed with my daughter and mother. I'm curious to hear who they chose to voice Venkman and Zeddemore. Bill Murray's French voice actor in the first two movies (and RGB) stopped doing voice acting after GB2 and Hernie Hudson's French voice actor passed away two years ago. If the second trailer is any indication, they've kept Janine and Ray's original French voices.
groschopf wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:00 amAHHHHHHHHHHH
This Post Contains Spoilers
Mod Note: Official version of trailer 3.
Screw it.
I love it. I can't wait for this.
For me, the feeling I get is that I am going to live vicariously through the new gang.
What if the 12 year old me found a proton pack? or a trap? Got into some mischief; then shit happened -- and who am I going to call?

It's not quite a GB3 but hell, I think they're going to get this one right.
Last edited by JoeParez on October 18th, 2021, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]