Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
My god that clip wow.

This is nit picking but I’m a little disappointed the wand boot up sequence isn’t the same as the Hasbro prop or similar at all to the movies.

Sure they retconned the switch at the back but how come they didn’t add any boot up sounds to the wand at least? especially since there were several scenes from the first 2 movies that had it
Last edited by jonogunn on October 22nd, 2021, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedSpecial liked this
Did we see the first in-movie blooper?!
This Post Contains Spoilers
RedSpecial, jonogunn, JohnnyKCups and 3 others liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 1:27 pm Did we see the first in-movie blooper?!
Would you believe the second?
RedSpecial, JohnnyKCups, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
groschopf wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 1:27 pm Did we see the first in-movie blooper?!
Oh I hope you’re right. Still doesn’t forgive the first blooper though.
I dunno. I care, but not enough to let it bother me. I’ll still love this film.
It’s funny that he gives such attention to detail by adding the power on switch on the pack yet they still make these obvious mistakes. Gb1 and gb2 were littered with these types of errors. Guess he is staying true to the source material lol

That said even Endgame had several continuity errors too
JohnnyKCups, SpaceBallz liked this
jonogunn wrote:It’s funny that he gives such attention to detail by adding the power on switch on the pack yet they still make these obvious mistakes. Gb1 and gb2 were littered with these types of errors. Guess he is staying true to the source material lol

That said even Endgame had several continuity errors too
Last edited by JonXCTrack on October 25th, 2021, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedSpecial liked this
deadderek wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:18 am New clip from the movie:
Hmmm…
I’m gonna be a contrarian here and say this scene worries me slightly. It shows Jason’s sensibilities and directorial style from his previous movies but the pace was maybe too slow.

The tech fixation is one thing, and we’ll see how much screen time is devoted to it, but I felt there were a couple of unnatural moments with the pauses and dialogue. “Safety’s off” did not land for me, which is two for two alongside “remember when we died under a table”.

So it’s not bad or anything, optimistic it will work better when viewed in the context of the wider movie and spending more time with the characters - but I am lowering my expectations just in case.

Obv this is a two hour movie and we’ve seen maybe like.. 3-4mins. It just doesn’t seem very… chatty so far, which is a bigger departure from the originals than a change in comic tone.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on October 22nd, 2021, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groschopf liked this
groschopf wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 2:15 pm

I thought so as well, but in gb2 during the courtrom battle egons thrower is at.... shall we say "half mast" like that image as well :)
groschopf liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 4:12 pm
Hmmm…
I’m gonna be a contrarian here and say this scene worries me slightly. It shows Jason’s sensibilities and directorial style from his previous movies but the pace was maybe too slow.

The tech fixation is one thing, and we’ll see how much screen time is devoted to it, but I felt there were a couple of unnatural moments with the pauses and dialogue. “Safety’s off” did not land for me, which is two for two alongside “remember when we died under a table”.

So it’s not bad or anything, optimistic it will work better when viewed in the context of the wider movie and spending more time with the characters - but I am lowering my expectations just in case.

Obv this is a two hour movie and we’ve seen maybe like.. 3-4mins. It just doesn’t seem very… chatty so far, which is a bigger departure from the originals than a change in comic tone.
My guess is that it’s only this scene that is so slow. Most likely because they really wanna hit the nostalgia of seeing the pack light up again for the first time since 89 so they wanna make a big deal out of it. I don’t think at all the majority of the film will be like this.

2 other big moments they will emphasize will be the OG team suiting up and the new team suiting up
Kingpin, Corey91, groschopf liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 4:12 pm The tech fixation is one thing, and we’ll see how much screen time is devoted to it, but I felt there were a couple of unnatural moments with the pauses and dialogue. “Safety’s off” did not land for me, which is two for two alongside “remember when we died under a table”.
To my mind, the camera lingering might be less of a tech fixation and more of an emphasis of how real these props are. I have to think that having these very real devices in the hands of actors rather than CGI will enhance the performance of the actors :D

As for the pace and the safety line... I mean, it tracks for me. My father started taking me to job sites at the age of ten. I had to handle intimidating devices at an early age. There was always a hesitancy to start a chainsaw or work a grinder or drive a tractor a short distance before I had even reached high school. I technically knew how these machines operated, but I also had it drilled into me how dangerous they were.

The slow and steady rhythm of this scene combined with the there's no going back now delivery of "safety's off" totally registers as true to me.
Kingpin, Corey91, mike_waclo and 1 others liked this
jonogunn wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 4:48 pm

Hmmm…

My guess is that it’s only this scene that is so slow. Most likely because they really wanna hit the nostalgia of seeing the pack light up again for the first time since 89 so they wanna make a big deal out of it. I don’t think at all the majority of the film will be like this.

2 other big moments they will emphasize will be the OG team suiting up and the new team suiting up
The odd thing was the bargraph seemed to be totally dead, wondering if that was intentional or an electronics glitch that sort of went unnoticed.
The good news is that most movie goers won’t notice any of this only us gb nutjobs.

I didn’t notice soooooo many inconsistent details in the original movies until I started researching and building my own proton pack Suddenly they’re all standing out like a sore thumb. Never knew about the stunt packs or the sudden change in packs on the same actor within the same scene
deadderek, groschopf liked this
gerv wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:23 pm The odd thing was the bargraph seemed to be totally dead, wondering if that was intentional or an electronics glitch that sort of went unnoticed.
I screen-capped the clip for the reference library. The bargraph starts dark, but it definitely light up... It's just a lot more muted, like all of the lights are on the Spengler/Afterlife Pack.
Kingpin, deadderek, groschopf and 1 others liked this
RedSpecial wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 6:00 pm
Yeah it sounds Ike it's ready to break at a moment's notice. But that could well be modifications Egon made to improve the pack.
Anyone want to see my best-guess assemblage of all three trailers (and every other snippet I could find) into more-or-less linear order? It runs just slightly over nine minutes.

I'm aware someone else attempted the same thing. I waited until the Hasbro PulseCon clip was added to upload mine. I gave his a glance. We agreed on some things, differed on others.

I've got it set as an Unlisted video on YouTube at the moment, and my viewers have to watch this 'spoiler buffer' video to get the link in the description.

UPDATE: There have been a couple more commercials and things released since I finished this. I now have English audio for one of Podcast's lines; in the previous edit, I only had that line in German. I am debating making another revision.

I also saw an ad on YouTube today with a great closeup of the Terror Dog puppet's face. Looks so much better than the CG version, in my opinion.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on October 23rd, 2021, 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hmmm…

Couldn’t disagree more.

This was perfectly paced. It’s slow and deliberate, just like the original movies. Rewatch the original movies and see how methodical it is in it’s pacing.

It might seem odd to you if you are use to modern sensibilities where everything is shot in inserts and the pace is quick. This sequence plays out in mainly master shots. Just like his daddy did. That’s a great sign. For me anyways.

I don’t understand the issue with the “safety off” line? I do agree that the “remember the summer where we died” line in the first trailer didn’t land but the safety off line was delivered well. What did you want from the line? Or what would have made it better?

Again, like you mention, this is a clip. A movie has a flow and a rhythm and judging a sequence as “slow” outside of that flow and rhythm won’t tell you much.

But I dig it. I love the lack of cuts. I love how everything is played wide. Unlike other movies, mostly movies by directors like, oh, I dunno, let me pick one at random…Paul Feig, there seems to be a good sense on tone and pace. I’m not seeing that obvious riffing non sense that we see in modern movies.
I dig the Wes Anderson style of of deliberate, purposefully, understated pacing.

This feels like Ghostbusters to me. It really does.
deadderek, Jimsy33, robbritton and 3 others liked this
On those rare occasion's we agree on something this is definitly it. This feels like a Ghostbusters movie. I couldn't agree more. This feels like it's a home run here. The way the proton pack scene was shot we as fans get to see the new modifications up close and personal. The new fans will have to watch the original's to see what Proton Packs looked like all nice and shiny.
deadderek, groschopf liked this
timeware wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 1:31 am On those rare occasion's we agree on something this is definitly it. This feels like a Ghostbusters movie. I couldn't agree more. This feels like it's a home run here. The way the proton pack scene was shot we as fans get to see the new modifications up close and personal. The new fans will have to watch the original's to see what Proton Packs looked like all nice and shiny.
It's very reminiscent of the moment the Rookie wears a pack for the first time in the 2009 videogame, a number of shots holding on various sections of the pack in order to showcase various details.
It almost feels like a call back to that, intentional or not.
groschopf, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
zackangel wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 4:10 am if asbro out proton pack movie version be sure it my christmas gift for me XD
For those who built their own packs do you feel the release of the Hasbro pack makes it feel less special/exclusive? You put all this work in to be one of the few out there with a pack but now everyone can have one?

I think it’s great that everyone who always wanted a pack but didn’t have the skill, time or money to build one can finally be the ghostbusters they hoped for. But at same time it makes it feel a little less special.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]