Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
jonogunn wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:44 am
zackangel wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 4:10 am if asbro out proton pack movie version be sure it my christmas gift for me XD
For those who built their own packs do you feel the release of the Hasbro pack makes it feel less special/exclusive? You put all this work in to be one of the few out there with a pack but now everyone can have one?

I think it’s great that everyone who always wanted a pack but didn’t have the skill, time or money to build one can finally be the ghostbusters they hoped for. But at same time it makes it feel a little less special.
Not at all.
I don't really consider having a meticulously built prop replica pack to be an exclusive thing.
Anyone can have one with enough time and effort put into the project.
Cost isnt as much of a factor as folks like to aspouse as generally, most of us will spread the cost over a long period of time to achieve the best results rather than a large sum of money being outlaid all at once.
And skills tend to be learned over time as part of the process.
Sure it takes a lot longer than just buying a finished collectible but it all comes down to the old prop building triangle.
ease & quickness, less expense, Accuracy
You can only ever pick two.

The haslab pack would fall under ease & quickness and less expense .

I put my latest pack together over the course of a couple of years or so, purely for the fun of building it and the drive and satisfaction that comes with the persuit of trying to replicate something as accurately as possible that's been such an iconic piece of my own connection to ghostbusters.
This kind of thing could never take away from that.
Add to that, the fact that the afterlife packs are a different version of the pack altogther which vary markedly from the packs which inspired their creation.
A mass produced version will similarly have it's own differences, in comparison to the screen used examples.

It's like comparing apples to oranges.

This will be a high end collectible for sure but unless they go to the lengths of using rare, vintage parts, fiberglass shell and a full suite of aluminium fabricated components the two just wont compare.
And given the rarity of some parts and cost of doing it that way, it's not going to happen.
We'd be talking $3000+ per pack, minimum.

What it will be is a high end collectible, manufactured as economically as possible which will likely mean some sacrifices in terms of accuracy and construction in order to make mass production feasible.
Much like the wand which they've already produced.
It'll be a really nice display piece and more quickly achievable entry into the hobby for many folks though.
Last edited by RedSpecial on October 23rd, 2021, 8:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
groschopf, Sav C, robbritton liked this
So, after watching every possible trailer endlessly over the past few days I’ve made a conclusion. I’m gonna have to see it in theaters at least 2-3 times ALONE before intake my wife kids and mother. I’m gonna be an absolute emotional mess. All I can keep thinking is - if Luke Skywalker showing up at the end of Mando still chokes me up after a ton of viewings… what’s this movie gonna do to me?
I’ve refrained from the recent trailers and the spoilers explosion so I can reserve surprise and wonder for the big screen … and yes, I do believe I will be shedding a tear or two during this movie. How can I not?

I was introduced to Ghostbusters at the tender age of 3 and for 36 years I’ve been invested in these characters. To see their arcs finally come to a close will certainly be a somber moment. Kind of evokes the sense of a friend passing away. But it’s not just that: Ghostbusters was lightning in a bottle, with all the right people making the right movie at the right time. The comedy titans of the ‘80s, born from SCTV and SNL gave us something truly special and we may never see them together on the big screen ever again.

But in the midst of all this nostalgia, I certainly hope the filmmakers didn’t neglect one key fact: that Ghostbusters is meant to be a comedy! I want to be rolling in the aisles as much as I did with the first movie.
RedSpecial, Sav C liked this
jonogunn wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:44 am For those who built their own packs do you feel the release of the Hasbro pack makes it feel less special/exclusive? You put all this work in to be one of the few out there with a pack but now everyone can have one?
Sure, I felt special building my packs before inexpensive replicas were available for purchase... but I've been building since the era of crappy views of a VHS tape on pause. Being able to replicate a pack in a time before exact measurements and highly accurate high-res photography of the original props were freely available on the internet really did speak to a commitment to building the prop. But that's been gone for decades now.

There's still something way more special and noticeable about building your own pack. Builders pour so much time into making their packs do things that others don't—venting, lighting, sounds, music, all sorts of customization. They're always going to be noticeably different from something store bought, and probably even more so now if Hasbro is stepping up the game.

There's always going to be a gulf between someone that buys a fast car, and someone that builds a hotrod. Those of us building our packs are building hotrods, and that will never change. Just the pride alone of being able to answer the question "did you build that?" with a "HELL YEAH, I DID" is something that will never be stripped from us. Being able to walk around and get compliments for one's craftsmanship is an incredible feeling.

At the end of the day... we want more people to be into what we're into. That keeps the franchise alive. If there are better looking replica packs out there, great. Hell, I built my pack, but I use a Matty PKE. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

If a lower cost of entry gets more people in to what we love, maybe we lose a little something in the mix... but it keeps the thing we love alive. That's way more important.
RedSpecial, Sav C liked this
ghostfan003 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:07 am But in the midst of all this nostalgia, I certainly hope the filmmakers didn’t neglect one key fact: that Ghostbusters is meant to be a comedy! I want to be rolling in the aisles as much as I did with the first movie.
With the material that's been released up to this point (which I appreciate not all of it you've seen), it's beyond clear there'll be plenty of laughs generated by this film between Podcast's lines, Paul's delivery and the Mini Pufts.

If they're playing this smart, they'll keep the biggest laughs under lock-and-key until the cinematic release.
groschopf, Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 9:41 am If they're playing this smart, they'll keep the biggest laughs under lock-and-key until the cinematic release.
💯

Putting jokes in a trailer made sense in the '80s because audiences only saw trailers in theaters before seeing another film. One would have to go to some lengths to see a trailer multiple times. In that regard, hearing a joke in a trailer was a bit more like stand-up comedy—audiences would be left with an impression of a joke, but not the exact lines.

Nowadays? It'd be super easy to wear a joke out just be pulling it up online, watching it repeatedly, and quoting it in articles. Jokes lose their impact incredibly fast, so those may be the closest guarded secrets from a movie like this. Nothing kills a joke faster than hearing it again and again.
deadderek liked this
I'm really excited for people getting the Hasbro proton pack. I've seen a lot of people benefit from Hasbro's replicas for Marvel and Star Wars as well as Power Ranger helmets. Many of the finished products they sell are less than the cost to buy parts to build a replica.

My parents have always been supportive of my collecting and I'll never forget the look on my dad's face as I unwrapped a Force FX lightsaber one year for Christmas. He was so proud that he was finally able to get me a lightsaber. He was as thrilled as I was. It's moments like that I'm most excited for.

For many this pack will be a gift from a spouse, a parent, a child or a friend who is so excited they can finally contribute to their loved one's collection. And to those living on a tight budget this will be the only way they could ever afford a proton pack.

Congratulations to all who find this pack replica to be the answer to a lifelong dream!
Sav C, robbritton liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 12:15 pm A new clip was uploaded today, a slightly-longer version of the Mini-Puft smore sequence at the box mart:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Stay Crisp Graham Crackers? The props department got a bit lazy on the name and packaging.
Last edited by Bison256 on October 23rd, 2021, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A little teaser with the HasLab proton pack popped on on Facebook.

"Is there a lot of eerie ecto-activity in your neighborhood? Don't worry, we've got your back. Suit up and get ready for what’s coming your way from HasLab + Ghostbusters on 10/27!"

It's not much to see, but you can hear the standard proton pack startup sound with an undercurrent of new, different energy.

RedSpecial, zeta otaku, jonogunn and 1 others liked this
jonogunn wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:30 pm Is there something sticking out above the ion arm?
As noted by Coover, those are the standard Ion Arm greeblies. The Pack appears to be sat at an angle on a stand to prevent it's center of gravity tipping it forward.
jonogunn, groschopf liked this
Kingpin wrote:
jonogunn wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:30 pm Is there something sticking out above the ion arm?
As noted by Coover, those are the standard Ion Arm greeblies. The Pack appears to be sat at an angle on a stand to prevent it's center of gravity tipping it forward.
Coover5 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:33 pm Looking at the picture above the ion arm i see the upper piece of rod and the length of cable that comes off ion arm. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.
AH I SEE IT NOW! Yes sorry the angle threwme off and it sort of looked like there was some additional tube thing either behind it or on top of it.

Safe to say this is meant to be attached to the spngler wand since there's no wand silhouette? WOuld be odd though because there's no actual way to integrate the two electronics seamlessly
Last edited by jonogunn on October 23rd, 2021, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeta otaku liked this
jonogunn wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:40 pm
Kingpin wrote:
As noted by Coover, those are the standard Ion Arm greeblies. The Pack appears to be sat at an angle on a base.
Coover5 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:33 pm Looking at the picture above the ion arm i see the upper piece of rod and the length of cable that comes off ion arm. Perhaps that is what you are seeing.
AH I SEE IT NOW! Yes sorry the angle through me off and it sort of looked like there was some addition tube thing either behind it or on top of it.

Safe to say this is meant to be attached to the spngler wand since there's no wand silhouette? WOuld be odd though because there's no actual way to integrate the two electronics seamlessly
Unless there's some wireless feature no one has discovered yet or some elaborate add-on to the thrower, yeah, the two items are electronically independent of each other... which is why the madlads in this fandom are so great. They've been making electronic add-ons for YEARS... can't wait to see what they come up for this stuff :D
Few things I want to say about the pack:

If this goes live on the 27th I can't stress this enough. Hasbro needs to have in place a way to defeat the scalpers who are going to try and jump on the sales. It's going to be messed the frak up if they announce a live sale on the 27th when those who have insider knowledge are going to get to the sales first.

My second concern is will this pack be built to be compatable with an alice pack or will Hasbro have a new line of Pack accessories that will go along with the sale launch?

I know I repeatedly use Pepsi Perfect as an example but this needs to be organized to be fair not to just us, but for the new fans as well.
timeware wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:34 pm Few things I want to say about the pack:

If this goes live on the 27th I can't stress this enough. Hasbro needs to have in place a way to defeat the scalpers who are going to try and jump on the sales. It's going to be messed the frak up if they announce a live sale on the 27th when those who have insider knowledge are going to get to the sales first.

My second concern is will this pack be built to be compatable with an alice pack or will Hasbro have a new line of Pack accessories that will go along with the sale launch?

I know I repeatedly use Pepsi Perfect as an example but this needs to be organized to be fair not to just us, but for the new fans as well.
Haslabs stuff is done by backers, it's run a bit different than regular retail stuff.
groschopf wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:13 pm
Kingpin wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 6:37 pm The Pack appears to be sat at an angle on a stand to prevent it's center of gravity tipping it forward.
I can't tease out much more detail since the lighting was so low, but the stand looks interesting.

Lol I did the same thing on my phone and I noticed that there looks like some wires near the power cell. Odd given that the afterlife pack doesn’t have that
So the Hasbro Star wars sail barge was $500 , needed minimum 5,000 orders and I think it was around a year before it was delivered. Not something I was into , but I heard it was awesome.

The only good news about crowd funding is it won't be affected by scalpers, ( initially) how many ordered , is how many they make.
Considering how good the 80% Spirit pack is for a starting point at $80-100. I think a full size version with proper Alice frame/straps, styled look for Afterlife, and correct lighting/sounds could be made for a $400-500 range.
This way you can go piece by piece at a more premium route with Mack’s Factory or go with this which looks spectacular, but pre-made.
Super excited for this!
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he does[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]