As you can see in my previous post, I already had too aluminum side disks for the wand... so I thought I'd make a disk for the other side as well. If found some junk in my greeblie box:
I glued the two thinner disks together to make a thicker piece:
I sanded the edges, drilled a hole and counter sink. Here are all the pieces before painting:
The original plastic disks were screwed to a plastic piece that held them in place to the side wall. So I used this same piece to attach my new metal disks:
This allowed them to slip perfectly into place:
All three disks in place:
In place with a bit of sandpaper distressing:
Dremel cut off disk did the trick!
Now, unfortunately, I don't have the correct model Clippard, but I do have this:
So, my idea was to use the top of the Hasbro Clippard since it is aluminum. The top unscrews easily... popped it into my vice and got sawing:
Here's the top piece successfully sawed in half (the bottom piece will be saved in my greeblie box for a future project!):
Unfortunately, the R-431 valve does NOT have a screw off top, so I drilled through the bottom to remove its "guts":
I chopped the top "bubble" off with a dremel and drill:
I drilled a bit more into the Hasbro tip and found an old bolt that would allow me to attach the two pieces:
Here's a comparison between the old piece and the new one:
While I was trying to dig out that original clippard, I found another easy mod I could do... remove the plastic thing from the three vent slots on the top of the wand.
The first step was pulling out the white plastic piece with a pair of needle nose pliers:
Next, I used a dremel with a pointed bit to route a line around the three vent holes:
Testing the electronics (to make sure I didn't screw anything up while fidgitting around in there)... and really happy to see that bright like peaking out through the vent:
And a final shot of the new Clippard in place attached with hex bolts:
The wire running to the front switch is actually taped to the grip... so I ended up cutting through half of the wire. I was planning on removing that rubbery thing and replacing it with a wire as on the original... so now I could use real wires serving a real purpose:
The resin grips I had were a bit oversized, so I cut them down and reshaped to fit the Hasbro wand:
After a bit of black spray paint, I glued the new grips in place with plastic weld:
To fill the drilled out holes on the base plate, I used a leather punch to make some little foam fillers:
These could easily be painted black, but I left them "as is" for now. Also, seeing this shot... next time I work on this wand I am definitely sanding down all that "Made in China" text!
I changed a few stickers and the green hose. I'm still planning on changing the two banjo fittings to brass and hopefully the tip to an aluminum one and then do my own weathering but, for now... here are some comparison "Before and After" shots...
Close-up of the current mods:
Here's the wand on my WIP pack:
For the vac hose, I taped a pvc pipe to give me something to glue better into the vac tube:
Drilled another hole into the bottom of my shell (decided not to cut all the way to the edge as I figured this will give better grip to the hose:
I taped another pvc tube piece into the hose (on the inside of the pack) to keep it from slipping. You can also see my temporary red film I taped in until I get my lighting set up:
I connected the hose (about 3.5 feet worth) to my wand using Hasbro's connector piece and added some tape at various points of the tube:
I finally decided to do the final aging. I started by spraying some silver chrome spray paint onto a palette then dry brushing the pack with a 2" brush. I added additional distressing using a brown acrylic wash (just brown paint with a little water) and brushed it into all the nooks and crannies:
And here is my nearly final beauty shot (just need to add lights, which will include cutting the window for the blue LEDs):
NB: The color differences between the GB1 and GB2 khakis are exaggerated in this photo due to the photo processing. I liked the contrast so left it as it was. And the lights on my pack are photoshopped... I'm still figuring out how I'm doing this part of my pack build.
So why did Egon lead Phoebe to the trapped Terror[…]
Very nice! So the Indy name patch is a brighter re[…]
We're getting that stand.
I guess I’m wondering when the Ecto plazm vi[…]