Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Theatrical Release Date: March 22, 2024
Former Theatrical Release Dates: December 20, 2023 and March 29, 2024

At NYCC, Ernie Hudson was asked if he would do Ghostbusters 4 if they “threw” it at him. Hudson responded, "If they threw it, I would be honored to do it. I’ve heard rumors they’re writing a new one, so we’ll see."
https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/soun ... nie-hudson
By Davideverona
I heard that:
- they'll shoot it next fall
- Bill Murray will be in it only if they kill him off in the first reel
- the leader will be Oscar and will be revealed that he's Venkman's son
- Bill Murray received a first draft of the script, shred it and sent it back with a note who said: "No one wants to pay to see old fat men chasing ghosts"
- they may ask Ben Stiller to star in it.
Sav C, deadderek, EddieSpenser and 1 others liked this
By DocLathropBrown
Davideverona wrote: October 14th, 2021, 4:26 am I heard that:
- they'll shoot it next fall
- Bill Murray will be in it only if they kill him off in the first reel
- the leader will be Oscar and will be revealed that he's Venkman's son
- Bill Murray received a first draft of the script, shred it and sent it back with a note who said: "No one wants to pay to see old fat men chasing ghosts"
- they may ask Ben Stiller to star in it.
Hey! Ghostbusters 4 is REAL NOT A LIE!
By An Invisible Bed
mrmichaelt wrote: November 28th, 2021, 4:18 pm On the Happy Sad Podcast, Reitman made new comments on Vigo but could have just been acting flippant and throwing it out there.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/11/28 ... ld-return/
Oh boy, I really hope they're smart enough not to use Vigo again.

Using Gozer again was fine, but next time we need a new villain.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, EddieSpenser and 2 others liked this
By Avilos
mrmichaelt wrote: November 28th, 2021, 4:18 pm On the Happy Sad Podcast, Reitman made new comments on Vigo but could have just been acting flippant and throwing it out there.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/11/28 ... ld-return/
I heard that podcast early in the week before it became “news” and I thought it was completely him being flippant.

The interviewer was wondering why there was no Vigo reference and if that meant the 2nd movie was not Canon. Jason said that is not true and to humor the guy in the spur of the moment come up with the idea there could be more paintings of Vigo. I had no sense it’s something he really wants to do at all.
Last edited by Avilos on November 28th, 2021, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt, DaveLister liked this
The fact this is a thread at all just blows my mind. Haha

I was about 12-13ish when i first started on these boards back when some of us were all at Chad’s GB.NET

If you told me back then “GB3” will happen in about 20 years, and then discussion will move over toward Gb4 rumors…im not sure how my mind would accept that information, but im glad were here now.

I gave my thoughts on the Vigo bit in the afterlife chat. I think Gozer worked as a “full circle” deal for afterlife..but going back to Vigo would just seem uninventive. I would like to see a River of Slime return..i think thats just such a cool concept and should be expanded on in the films.

What if however we bring Yonosz back? This time hes more of an ally to the GBs..he begins to suspect he has other haunted artifacts in his museum and he asks the Gbs for help?
Dr.D, mrmichaelt, deadderek and 1 others liked this
Dr.D wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:47 am I would love to see a different team of paranormal eliminators try to push the GBs out of business. The idea of competing teams is something that's only been used in the comics really, and it would be cool to see some human antagonists.
Yes especially since that’s how competition works in real life. Any successful product or trend will always have imitators grabbing a part of the market share
Now THAT would be interesting to have: an adaption of the Ghost Smashers. Hell, bring in Chevy Chase as Ron Alexander with the same back story from the comics (bitter he wasn't hired to be a GB back in their heyday), have his team and tech be the reason for the recent surge of NYC ghost activity AND the cause of the big bad boss battle (something along the lines of the Chimera they fought in the comics... minus the Death dues ex machina). The 3 OGs would have active roles, though perhaps not field work (Ray handling calls and helping maintain the tech, Winston handling the financial end of things and assisting on proper training (more like giving advice of what NOT to do), and Venkman could be in charge of PR and marketing (which would keep Venkman as part of the crew, but in such a role that Murray wouldn't have to show up if he didn't feel like it). With the current crisis being man made, say forcefully tearing a rip in the dimensional barriers, not everything would go back to "normal" at the end of the film allowing ghosts and other entities to enter the world.
seekandannoy, Spenglers liked this
zeta otaku wrote: November 29th, 2021, 11:13 am Now THAT would be interesting to have: an adaption of the Ghost Smashers. Hell, bring in Chevy Chase as Ron Alexander with the same back story from the comics (bitter he wasn't hired to be a GB back in their heyday), have his team and tech be the reason for the recent surge of NYC ghost activity AND the cause of the big bad boss battle (something along the lines of the Chimera they fought in the comics... minus the Death dues ex machina). The 3 OGs would have active roles, though perhaps not field work (Ray handling calls and helping maintain the tech, Winston handling the financial end of things and assisting on proper training (more like giving advice of what NOT to do), and Venkman could be in charge of PR and marketing (which would keep Venkman as part of the crew, but in such a role that Murray wouldn't have to show up if he didn't feel like it). With the current crisis being man made, say forcefully tearing a rip in the dimensional barriers, not everything would go back to "normal" at the end of the film allowing ghosts and other entities to enter the world.
I think the idea of a possesed William Atherton would be the more ideal villain. Even more perfect if he's running a succesful Ghost busting business after making a career of trying to shut them down. Yes, it's going into the well again but it isn't bringing actors back from the dead. (Vigo.)

Or just have him be his usual Peckish self without being possessed and maybe throw in the Ghostmaster being the one pulling his strings.

You could have two teams dealing with their own ghosts and the Jr's dealing with their own investigations. If the Ghostsmasher boss is being possessed they would have to realize their equipment hasn't been working and the ghosts have been playing them. They have to put aside their problems with Ghostbusters to stop the new big bad.
Lets think logically about this.

The last one was called Afterlife.

It dealt with the death of the real Ghostbuster Egon Spengler and was about his family, Phoebe, etc. It was a Spengler story.

No Spengler based story can be as good as Afterlife. It was the most beautiful tribute to Egon we could have had. That can't be improved.

They should let the Spengler story rest. We've had the best version of that we could have.

What we DID NOT have was a proper OG Ghostbusters team story. What happened to Stantz, Zeddemore, and Venkman. They just sort of showed up in Afterlife.

We really need that story.

Team Phoebe up with Oscar, or something. We really need the "what happened to the OG Ghostbusters" story.
RealGhostbusterJay liked this
One time wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:09 pm Lets think logically about this.

It dealt with the death of the real Ghostbuster Egon Spengler and was about his family, Phoebe, etc. It was a Spengler story.

No Spengler based story can be as good as Afterlife. It was the most beautiful tribute to Egon we could have had. That can't be improved.

They should let the Spengler story rest. We've had the best version of that we could have.

What we DID NOT have was a proper OG Ghostbusters team story. What happened to Stantz, Zeddemore, and Venkman. They just sort of showed up in Afterlife.

Team Phoebe up with Oscar, or something. We really need the "what happened to the OG Ghostbusters" story.
Except we were told what happened. Egon got scary, no one believed him, he drove off with Ecto-1, his proton pack, and every trap they had. Peter went into teaching advertising, Winston started his own company, and Ray went back to his bookstore. That doesn't sound too compelling for a movie called "Ghostbusters" and I don't think having a CGI Egon for a full movie will fly.
GBDRE760, seekandannoy liked this
Careful, the word Oscar is a trigger around these parts. I kid, I kid.
Except we were told what happened. Egon got scary, no one believed him, he drove off with Ecto-1, his proton pack, and every trap they had. Peter went into teaching advertising, Winston started his own company, and Ray went back to his bookstore. That doesn't sound too compelling for a movie called "Ghostbusters" and I don't think having a CGI Egon for a full movie will fly.
We don't need a full movie covering the gap between Ghostbusters II, the video game, and Afterlife. I'm sure at some point IDW will aproach this or not. Lets close the CGI Egon for good. If he has to return I don't mind him possessing objects or electronics like he had before.

If he comes back to warn Phoebe of something, or a ghost like the Boogieman uses his likeness to take advantage of her I could see that being used in small doses to move a story. There has to be a reason to bring Egon back again, not just to have an OG.
zeta otaku wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:37 pm
One time wrote: November 29th, 2021, 5:09 pm Lets think logically about this.

All that stuff could have happened months before afterlife or in 1993. If we assume it's recent, they could go anywhere with GB4.

It's hard to believe people want a Ghostbusters 4 with just Phoebe, Trevor and Lucky and not what happened to the original Ghostbusters.
All that stuff could have happened months before afterlife or in 1993. If we assume it's recent, they could go anywhere with GB4.

It's hard to believe people want a Ghostbusters 4 with just Phoebe, Trevor and Lucky and not what happened to the original Ghostbusters.

The OG's are done. Jason isn't going to go into that well again when it could be in animated form, or done by IDW. The only OG's we will get for certain are either Dan, or Ernie and that's not a hundred percent guranteed.

Most of us would love to see a whole movie centered around the original cast but it's just not in the cards. They are more then senior citizens now. They won't be bustin a move, they'll be bustin a hip if you get my meaning. Ernie seems to be the only OG that's in good shape for his age.

(Again i'm not saying anything bad about the OG's, it's just a fact of life.)

Jason passed the torch without killing anyone off and litteraly brought back the dead. I'm glad we have them as support for the new cast.
*NormalGamer*, robbritton, deadderek and 2 others liked this
timeware wrote: November 29th, 2021, 7:32 pm The OG's are done. Jason isn't going to go into that well again when it could be in animated form, or done by IDW. The only OG's we will get for certain are either Dan, or Ernie and that's not a hundred percent guranteed.

Most of us would love to see a whole movie centered around the original cast but it's just not in the cards. They are more then senior citizens now. They won't be bustin a move, they'll be bustin a hip if you get my meaning. Ernie seems to be the only OG that's in good shape for his age.

(Again i'm not saying anything bad about the OG's, it's just a fact of life.)

Jason passed the torch without killing anyone off and litteraly brought back the dead. I'm glad we have them as support for the new cast.
I have to agree. Afterlife may not be perfect in some ways, but it really brought closure for the OGB's; especially for Egon along with a proper send off for both the character and the late Harold. Now that the OGB arcs have ended and that the torch has been passed, it's time to begin a new chapter for the franchise in this new era and make the best of what we got from Afterlife.
timeware, deadderek liked this
I dont believe the OGs are done for good. With the deals that seem to be brewing right now..you need the iconic faces to be there.

If winston is re-opening the firehouse. At least him and Ray need to be around to guide the next staff.

That ending was a beautiful cap off though..its hard to imagine how to top that or even build off from it.
One time liked this
Murray has to be done now, surely. It was a perfect final scene for him; a funny call back to his very first scene. Y'know, he's with Dana, he's back in Academia slouching along, he's learned some lessons it appears - the character line for Venkman is finished. Ray and Winston make sense being around, but I think we should all finally let Bill Murray off the hook and let him never have to worry about Ghostbusters again. Everyone wins!

EDIT 26/06/23: Well, this aged well!
Last edited by robbritton on June 26th, 2023, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doney84, Sav C, deadderek and 1 others liked this
Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]