Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
mrmichaelt wrote: November 28th, 2021, 9:19 pm Estimates were $88.5 in week 2 but the total after this weekend is actually $115.8 million!
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/11/28 ... d-weekend/
I'm wondering what the chances are that Ghostbusters: Afterlife might actually be back at #1 for next weekend? There are two kid films as the main new films for the 3rd of December, which are more likely to take on each other and Encanto. Encanto looks to be loss for Disney, and barely dethroned Ghostbusters: Afterlife last weekend. Heck, the 10th really doesn't have any big batters either, leaving to the 17th being Spider-Man: No Way Home, which is pretty sure bet will make some serious money. So Ghostbusters Afterlife could snag two more weeks at #1. That'd be amazing if that indeed happens.

I'm looking at this list: Wikipedia "List of American films of 2021"
groschopf liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: November 29th, 2021, 7:23 am Encanto looks to be loss for Disney, and barely dethroned Ghostbusters: Afterlife last weekend. Heck, the 10th really doesn't have any big batters either, leaving to the 17th being Spider-Man: No Way Home, which is pretty sure bet will make some serious money. So Ghostbusters Afterlife could snag two more weeks at #1. That'd be amazing if that indeed happens.

I'm looking at this list: Wikipedia "List of American films of 2021"
From an opinion piece over on Rotten Tomatoes, so take it with a grain of slate (I added the bold bits for emphasis)...

The big story of the week is actually Ghostbusters: Afterlife, which has clearly captured a word-of-mouth victory. Fans are discovering that many critics may have been overly harsh on it. Parents have been bringing their families, and the numbers over the holiday are very encouraging. $24.5 million over the weekend and another $35.3 million since Wednesday bring its total to $87.8 million. That puts the film on par with A Quiet Place Part II, which had $88.3 million in its first ten days. Right now it’s headed for over $140 million, and a total over $12 million next weekend could keep Ghostbusters on a pace for $160 million. It is likely to play well into Christmas, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if it grabbed the top spot from Encanto next week either. So don’t pay attention to anyone suggesting the film is a bomb, because the $75 million-budgeted film that people are digging is going to be one of the highest-grossing domestic releases of 2021.
devilmanozzy, gerv, SpaceBallz and 5 others liked this
RichardLess wrote:Hey everyone. Forgive me. This might be a long ass post. Screw “might”. This is going to be a long post.

I managed to see the movie finally. On an iPad. In a hospital bed lol. Luckily I’m friends with Jack Sparrow. Normally I do not condone Jack Sparrow’s line of work so I actually ended up buying two tickets online to make myself feel like I paid for it. But I just knew I’m not seeing this movie in theatres and my god I’ve waited so long. So forgive me. Mea culpa. I still feel incredibly guilty.

As for the movie? Wow. Where to begin?

I have so many issues with the movie that I wanna talk about and the first one is Dan Aykroyd. He really dials it up to 11 doesn’t he? But then just after you are questioning the oddness & forcefulness of his line readings, he breaks your heart with a beautiful “I’m sorry I didn’t believe you”. Holy crap did that get me. But Dan, my man. Dial it down a bit. Ray is played very broad here. I didn’t care for him repeating the “cease and desist” bit or adding flourishes like “Fish & gaming”. I cringed a bit. But the real issue I have is…Ray & Egon.

Here’s the thing. For me I’ve always loved the Egon/Ray dynamic. Ghostbusters and the paranormal was everything for these two. They slept at the firehouse, worked 24/7. They didn’t have a social life outside of Ghostbusting and science.

Ray would never in a thousand years not believe Egon knew what he was talking about. Boy I had a hard time with that. “Egon Spengler can rot in hell” is…a choice. Wouldn’t the opposite situation be more likely? That Ray had the dooms day predictions and no one believed him? Would fit in with his “huh, what I tell ya? Wasn’t lying was I?” line in GB2 and him always taking blame for things going wrong “sorry! My fault!”. Anyways..

I’m someone who really loves the small details that tie a story together and while I loved the mini pufts…they make literally no sense at all. They had the perfect set up for them too. Egon could’ve kept stay Puft samples from 1984 and when things start going bad…bam. Mini pufts. Them just coming out of a bag?? What? Why?

So. I have all these issues with the movie. And yet…I loved it. I mean I LOVED IT. I’m sorry if I’m breaking any rules by bringing up the previous GB film but the reason I can forgive the problems GBA has over the problems of GB16 is tone. Man Jason nailed the tone of what a Ghostbusters movie is. This isn’t a silly world where characters know they are in a comedy. It’s real. Characters behave and say things like real people. The comedy isn’t broad( a few Dan Aykroyd line readings notwithstanding).

From the opening scene I knew I was in good hands. When the fog pours out of that chimney? And the sound? And it slowly rises up…oh boy. Just like the first two films there are no jokes played in the opening. It’s played straight, scary and it works wonderfully.

The new cast? Can we just talk bout Logan Kim/Podcast for a minute. This kid has charisma to spare. The camera LOVES him. I loved loved loved LOVED every minute he and Phoebe were on screen together. I was reminded of Ray/Egon immediately.

Carrie Coon is a goddess. The chemistry between her and Paul Rudd is off the charts. Boy do I want to see Paul Rudd with a proton pack on his back.

Let’s give a round of applause for practical effects everybody. The terror dogs looked great. The proton beams looked much better than the purple hue they had in the trailers.

This going on a bit long so I’ll mention one more thing(maybe two). When the guys show up. I would’ve loved a bit more of a badass western feel like Ivan had in his framing of the GBs as a group. I would’ve liked them spaced out more in a nice dolly in wide shot. I’m just thinking of how I would’ve liked that moment to go and I would liked to have seen them draw their neutrona wands in a medium shot on the neutrona wand and bam, Ray draws his, camera dollies back, Venkman draws his, camera Dollie’s back, and finally Winston draws his. We don’t see their faces. Not yet. Just the wands leaving the V Hook in sequence. And then we do a big wide, low angle, master push in on the 3 GB’s as the music swells triumphantly. Kind of like how the 5 minute pilot episode of Real Ghostbusters ends

I gotta say. I didn’t care for the score. I would’ve died and gone to heaven(ok maybe a bad thing to say given recent events) if Jason had snuck in Randy Edelman’s big heroic theme for when the GB’s show up. Maybe in a fan edit.

I have a million and one other things from this movie I’d like talk about. But I’ve rambled on long enough.

PS. Thanks again everyone for the well wishes & love. Those messages that you took time out of your day to write just made my family feel the love of this fanbase. From the bottom of my heart I thank you. That Ivo Shandor user may not want to be a GB Fan here anymore, but I sure do(what an odd post of his that was).

Cheers!
Richardless,

I'm glad you got to see the film and are back in the saddle.

I agree with you about your take on Ray not believing Egon. After my second viewing, I'm a little more receptive to it only because Phoebe expresses disbelief saying something like "Why didn't you believe him? Weren't you guys friends?" And Ray responds with "Kid, trust me, I wanted to believe, but . . ." Then the Sheriff hangs up the phone. To me, there's more of an explanation here. Some of us have speculated that the firehouse, Ecto-1, and maybe other items were all financed by Ray taking out a 3rd mortgage on his families' house. When Egon's actions hurt the business, Ray, who might normally believe Egon, was blinded by financial ruin.

I also agree with you about Ray's dialogue. The rehash of the "I order you to..." was over the top. Venkman antagonizing Gozer was a GB2 callback, but the dialogue wasn't as funny. I'd be curious to see what other takes consisted of because "My sense of fun and your personality" doesn't make much sense. I'd have gone with "My sense of fun and your everlasting youthful appearance."

Anyway, glad to have you back on the forum. Cheers, bud.
JonXCTrack wrote: November 29th, 2021, 10:23 am
RichardLess wrote:Hey everyone. Forgive me. This might be a long ass post. Screw “might”. This is going to be a long post.

I managed to see the movie finally. On an iPad. In a hospital bed lol. Luckily I’m friends with Jack Sparrow. Normally I do not condone Jack Sparrow’s line of work so I actually ended up buying two tickets online to make myself feel like I paid for it. But I just knew I’m not seeing this movie in theatres and my god I’ve waited so long. So forgive me. Mea culpa. I still feel incredibly guilty.

I have so many issues with the movie that I wanna talk about and the first one is Dan Aykroyd. He really dials it up to 11 doesn’t he? But then just after you are questioning the oddness & forcefulness of his line readings, he breaks your heart with a beautiful “I’m sorry I didn’t believe you”. Holy crap did that get me. But Dan, my man. Dial it down a bit. Ray is played very broad here. I didn’t care for him repeating the “cease and desist” bit or adding flourishes like “Fish & gaming”. I cringed a bit. But the real issue I have is…Ray & Egon.

Here’s the thing. For me I’ve always loved the Egon/Ray dynamic. Ghostbusters and the paranormal was everything for these two. They slept at the firehouse, worked 24/7. They didn’t have a social life outside of Ghostbusting and science.

Ray would never in a thousand years not believe Egon knew what he was talking about. Boy I had a hard time with that. “Egon Spengler can rot in hell” is…a choice. Wouldn’t the opposite situation be more likely? That Ray had the dooms day predictions and no one believed him? Would fit in with his “huh, what I tell ya? Wasn’t lying was I?” line in GB2 and him always taking blame for things going wrong “sorry! My fault!”. Anyways..

I’m someone who really loves the small details that tie a story together and while I loved the mini pufts…they make literally no sense at all. They had the perfect set up for them too. Egon could’ve kept stay Puft samples from 1984 and when things start going bad…bam. Mini pufts. Them just coming out of a bag?? What? Why?

So. I have all these issues with the movie. And yet…I loved it. I mean I LOVED IT. I’m sorry if I’m breaking any rules by bringing up the previous GB film but the reason I can forgive the problems GBA has over the problems of GB16 is tone. Man Jason nailed the tone of what a Ghostbusters movie is. This isn’t a silly world where characters know they are in a comedy. It’s real. Characters behave and say things like real people. The comedy isn’t broad( a few Dan Aykroyd line readings notwithstanding).

From the opening scene I knew I was in good hands. When the fog pours out of that chimney? And the sound? And it slowly rises up…oh boy. Just like the first two films there are no jokes played in the opening. It’s played straight, scary and it works wonderfully.

The new cast? Can we just talk bout Logan Kim/Podcast for a minute. This kid has charisma to spare. The camera LOVES him. I loved loved loved LOVED every minute he and Phoebe were on screen together. I was reminded of Ray/Egon immediately.

Carrie Coon is a goddess. The chemistry between her and Paul Rudd is off the charts. Boy do I want to see Paul Rudd with a proton pack on his back.

Let’s give a round of applause for practical effects everybody. The terror dogs looked great. The proton beams looked much better than the purple hue they had in the trailers.

This going on a bit long so I’ll mention one more thing(maybe two). When the guys show up. I would’ve loved a bit more of a badass western feel like Ivan had in his framing of the GBs as a group. I would’ve liked them spaced out more in a nice dolly in wide shot. I’m just thinking of how I would’ve liked that moment to go and I would liked to have seen them draw their neutrona wands in a medium shot on the neutrona wand and bam, Ray draws his, camera dollies back, Venkman draws his, camera Dollie’s back, and finally Winston draws his. We don’t see their faces. Not yet. Just the wands leaving the V Hook in sequence. And then we do a big wide, low angle, master push in on the 3 GB’s as the music swells triumphantly. Kind of like how the 5 minute pilot episode of Real Ghostbusters ends

I gotta say. I didn’t care for the score. I would’ve died and gone to heaven(ok maybe a bad thing to say given recent events) if Jason had snuck in Randy Edelman’s big heroic theme for when the GB’s show up. Maybe in a fan edit.

I have a million and one other things from this movie I’d like talk about. But I’ve rambled on long enough.

PS. Thanks again everyone for the well wishes & love. Those messages that you took time out of your day to write just made my family feel the love of this fanbase. From the bottom of my heart I thank you. That Ivo Shandor user may not want to be a GB Fan here anymore, but I sure do(what an odd post of his that was).

Cheers!
Richardless,

I'm glad you got to see the film and are back in the saddle.

I agree with you about your take on Ray not believing Egon. After my second viewing, I'm a little more receptive to it only because Phoebe expresses disbelief saying something like "Why didn't you believe him? Weren't you guys friends?" And Ray responds with "Kid, trust me, I wanted to believe, but . . ." Then the Sheriff hangs up the phone. To me, there's more of an explanation here. Some of us have speculated that the firehouse, Ecto-1, and maybe other items were all financed by Ray taking out a 3rd mortgage on his families' house. When Egon's actions hurt the business, Ray, who might normally believe Egon, was blinded by financial ruin.

I also agree with you about Ray's dialogue. The rehash of the "I order you to..." was over the top. Venkman antagonizing Gozer was a GB2 callback, but the dialogue wasn't as funny. I'd be curious to see what other takes consisted of because "My sense of fun and your personality" doesn't make much sense. I'd have gone with "My sense of fun and your everlasting youthful appearance."

Anyway, glad to have you back on the forum. Cheers, bud.
Thanks.

I think it would’ve been nice to see Ray meet up with Venkman & Winston after the phone call. It doesn’t even have to be a long scene. Just something. I know the movie is pushing a long runtime as is but it really needed that. I don’t care how they get to Summerville. But I need a scene of Ray & Winston and Venkman meeting up.

Venkman’s in the middle of teaching a class. Which is something I need to see lol. Maybe Winston & Ray are already together. Peaking in just outside the door watching Venkman “teach”. Or “lecture”. after the class is adjourned

Ray “Venkman. We gotta talk”

Venkman “…are you breaking up with me Ray? I swear if you say ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ I’m going to pull your ears”

Venkman sees Winston and gets it.

Venkman: “Sorry. No can do guys. My back for one. And the doc says my sperm count is just getting back to normal”

Winston “oh we’ve got you covered. We brought this. They are lead lined, my company makes them”

Winston shows a lead lined jock strap.

Venkman “Your company makes Jock straps made out of lead? I’d ask why but…I don’t care. So where we going?”

Ray “Ever been to Oklahoma?”

Venkman “You mean willingly?…No.”

Cut
One time liked this
RichardLess wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:25 am Hey everyone. Forgive me. This might be a long ass post. Screw “might”. This is going to be a long post.

Cheers!
Was the video quality good enough?

Glad ur doing better and finally got to see it!

Totally agree with you on the Dan Aykroyd and the Ray/Egon relationship
RichardLess wrote: November 29th, 2021, 12:25 am Hey everyone. Forgive me. This might be a long ass post. Screw “might”. This is going to be a long post.

Cheers!
I'm so glad to see you in here!!!! :-D I did like the score but I agree with you about the part when the OGs show up, I would've loved hearing the Family Portrait/Finale song from GB2 or an instrumental version of Saving The Day. Also, those practical effects are so cool, I saw some pictures of the Miner Ghost on Instagram and it looks so good, the holes on the skin making the ribs visible are awesome. I really liked the CGI too, the Bug-Eye Ghost and Muncher look really good, I loved the scene with Muncher eating the cell bars.
Interview with Arjen Tuiten, Special Make-Up & Live Acton Creature Effects Designer.
http://www.ghostbustershq.net/the-ghost ... er-29-2021

Oh, Ray said "SUNY Cortland". Heh, so that puts Peter up near Ithaca and Syracuse in upstate NY. That funnily tracks in a way with Ray's comment how no one would touch them with a ten-meter cattle-prod after Columbia fired them.
I was just thinking.

I think they might have missed a fun cameo for William Atherton. Have Phoebe or Trevor watching TV and they see a political ad for a one “Walter Peck” whose running for Governor/Senator/congressman/President(maybe the ad ends in a jingle. “His name is PECK”). And they could slowly have this story play out in the background where whenever we see a TV/Newspaper the reporting is on how disastrous his campaign is going. Multiple scandals(like John Edwards). And no one of the main cast ever comments on it. It’s just this thing we see in the background in few scenes. Maybe even show a quick bit of Jack Hardmeyer as Walter Peck’s campaign manager giving a news conference on a TV somewhere in the background where we don’t hear a word he’s saying but the ticker at the bottom on the screen reads “New Campaign Manager! Hardmeyer Picked as Peck’s Polls Plummet”.
RichardLess wrote:I was just thinking.

I think they might have missed a fun cameo for William Atherton. Have Phoebe or Trevor watching TV and they see a political ad for a one “Walter Peck” whose running for Governor/Senator/congressman/President(maybe the ad ends in a jingle. “His name is PECK”). And they could slowly have this story play out in the background where whenever we see a TV/Newspaper the reporting is on how disastrous his campaign is going. Multiple scandals(like John Edwards). And no one of the main cast ever comments on it. It’s just this thing we see in the background in few scenes. Maybe even show a quick bit of Jack Hardmeyer as Walter Peck’s campaign manager giving a news conference on a TV somewhere in the background where we don’t hear a word he’s saying but the ticker at the bottom on the screen reads “New Campaign Manager! Hardmeyer Picked as Peck’s Polls Plummet”.
I was kind of hoping that Phoebe would watch more than just the original ghostbusters ad on youtube, and she'd watch some interview with Walter Peck trying to explain why the Manhattan Crossrip was a hoax, with an advertisement popping up partway through for Tully Accounting and Tax Law, LLC.
Some more Afterlife musings.

Egon Spengler is the most badass Ghostbuster of them all. Singlehandedly he devised and executed the plan to turn a whole farm into a trap. He built the safety-cross-the-streams-array to keep the gateway at bay (should he fail?). Again, on his own, he trapped a terror dog. He had to play the lunatic for the villagers (a village founded and built by Ivo Shandor, how could he trust anyone there?). He had to burn bridges and end his closest friendships, and he spent the time in his lab exactly like this:

*gulp*

He failed because ghost-bustin is a team effort. All his ingenuity and prudence got him only that far. Amazing effort, but ultimately doomed.

Gozer is defeated by a bunch of (clever) kids and old men and a science-loathing single mom (and thanks to Egon's masterly groundwork). Through their courage, team-work and wit. Guess people changed a bit in the past 8,000 years. Love it!

Either Ronald Reagan got a surprise third term in the Ghostbusters universe or Ray's remark doesn't make sense. They might have spent a good portion of 1984/85 cleaning up the mess caused by the containment unit explosion, but it's pretty obvious they were sued out of business soon after the crossrip. Sigh. I'm still 50:50 on the phone call. I love the buildup, with the inter-cut commercial clips, and I understand why Jason wanted to shock the audience. But of everything Ray said, some makes sense, some could make sense because we just don't know, and some doesn't at all. And for such an important moment in the movie, it shouldn't be like that. GB1 and 2 established that ghosts appear because something big is imminent. Hence the "no ghost sightings in 30 years" by Grooberson. Ray however contradicts this by saying business dried out in the early 90s (it can't be the 80s unless we retcon Vigo, which Jason said he didn't) until Egon discovered the true nature of Summerville, failed to convince Ray (Ray Stantz...we talk of mass-sponge-migration Ray...who has a Revelations 6:12-tattoo for crying out loud!!!) of the truth and had to resort to drastic measures, and put the final nail in the coffin of Ghostbusters, Inc.! And this is the canon we have to live with from now on until Jason or Gil provide us with more background story. It's hard to swallow. Forget the Ecto-1/Ecto-1A controversy. This will haunt the fandom (pun intented) for the next years.
Ecto24601 wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:31 am Some more Afterlife musings.

Egon Spengler is the most badass Ghostbuster of them all. Singlehandedly he devised and executed the plan to turn a whole farm into a trap. He built the safety-cross-the-streams-array to keep the gateway at bay (should he fail?). Again, on his own, he trapped a terror dog. He had to play the lunatic for the villagers (a village founded and built by Ivo Shandor, how could he trust anyone there?). He had to burn bridges and end his closest friendships, and he spent the time in his lab exactly like this:

*gulp*

He failed because ghost-bustin is a team effort. All his ingenuity and prudence got him only that far. Amazing effort, but ultimately doomed.

Gozer is defeated by a bunch of (clever) kids and old men and a science-loathing single mom (and thanks to Egon's masterly groundwork). Through their courage, team-work and wit. Guess people changed a bit in the past 8,000 years. Love it!

Either Ronald Reagan got a surprise third term in the Ghostbusters universe or Ray's remark doesn't make sense. They might have spent a good portion of 1984/85 cleaning up the mess caused by the containment unit explosion, but it's pretty obvious they were sued out of business soon after the crossrip. Sigh. I'm still 50:50 on the phone call. I love the buildup, with the inter-cut commercial clips, and I understand why Jason wanted to shock the audience. But of everything Ray said, some makes sense, some could make sense because we just don't know, and some doesn't at all. And for such an important moment in the movie, it shouldn't be like that. GB1 and 2 established that ghosts appear because something big is imminent. Hence the "no ghost sightings in 30 years" by Grooberson. Ray however contradicts this by saying business dried out in the early 90s (it can't be the 80s unless we retcon Vigo, which Jason said he didn't) until Egon discovered the true nature of Summerville, failed to convince Ray (Ray Stantz...we talk of mass-sponge-migration Ray...who has a Revelations 6:12-tattoo for crying out loud!!!) of the truth and had to resort to drastic measures, and put the final nail in the coffin of Ghostbusters, Inc.! And this is the canon we have to live with from now on until Jason or Gil provide us with more background story. It's hard to swallow. Forget the Ecto-1/Ecto-1A controversy. This will haunt the fandom (pun intented) for the next years.
…Why didn’t he have a proton pack in the opening scene?

And I’m sorry but there is no universe in which Ray Friggin Stanz doesn’t believe Egon “huge epididymis” Spengler. I have a massive hole in my abdomen and this movie is giving me more grief than that. (Also…pain killers. I’m hiiiigh. All that may change Thursday. Thursday is weaning off the morphine time. But right now I can control my own dose with this little button and oooh I love the button. I’m interested to see how I respond to the movie when I’m not high as a kite on morphine)
The Reagan line didn’t play well for me. I realize academia has probably moved very leftwards since the ‘80s, but Ray is a scientist with two PhDs, who then started a blue collar ghost disposal business, and then started a small, niche bookstore. He strikes me as more of a Mario Cuomo type of guy. I think this is the problem with bringing outside politics (vs inside politics like mayor Lenny) into a movie, since we probably tend to see our own politics in the characters we like.
RichardLess wrote: …Why didn’t he have a proton pack in the opening scene?
He had one but left it behind in the crashed truck since carrying it would have slown him down too much at that moment. He was hurt and needed to get to the farm asap.
Corey91 liked this
Sav C wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:53 pm The Reagan line didn’t play well for me. I realize academia has probably moved very leftwards since the ‘80s, but Ray is a scientist with two PhDs, who then started a blue collar ghost disposal business, and then started a small, niche bookstore. He strikes me as more of a Mario Cuomo type of guy. I think this is the problem with bringing outside politics (vs inside politics like mayor Lenny) into a movie, since we probably tend to see our own politics in the characters we like.
I don't think he was being political at all. He was stating that it was the Reagan years, which it was, and that the economy was better than it is now.
JonXCTrack, Corey91, Sav C and 2 others liked this
pizzarat wrote:
Sav C wrote: November 30th, 2021, 12:53 pm The Reagan line didn’t play well for me. I realize academia has probably moved very leftwards since the ‘80s, but Ray is a scientist with two PhDs, who then started a blue collar ghost disposal business, and then started a small, niche bookstore. He strikes me as more of a Mario Cuomo type of guy. I think this is the problem with bringing outside politics (vs inside politics like mayor Lenny) into a movie, since we probably tend to see our own politics in the characters we like.
I don't think he was being political at all. He was stating that it was the Reagan years, which it was, and that the economy was better than it is now.
It's also a nod to Ivan Reitman's contribution to the original film. Per an article from Polygon (https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/18/18682 ... -interview):

“I’ve been sort of a Libertarian,” Reitman says. “I’m actually a double immigrant. Coming to Canada from Czechoslovakia and then immigrating to America from Canada did make me believe in the power of capitalism and the power of the intelligent individual which has been a theme from many of my films.”

It makes no difference what your own political beliefs might be, the director himself seemed to identify with Regan's politics, and that bleeds into the story of the original film a bit. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. A) Aykroyd is leftwing in real life; B) Ghostbusters is fiction, not real life; C) the alternative candidate back then was Walter Mondale, quite possibly the least liked Presidential candidate ever. If you don't believe me, look at an election map from 1984; and finally D) Let's assume Ray Stantz is a Republican. Does that somehow make him a terrible character? Does it detract from his saving the world three times? I would argue that it does not.
GhostbustersZorge wrote: November 30th, 2021, 1:18 pm
RichardLess wrote: …Why didn’t he have a proton pack in the opening scene?
He had one but left it behind in the crashed truck since carrying it would have slown him down too much at that moment. He was hurt and needed to get to the farm asap.
Slow him down? It would’ve saved his life. Is a proton pack shown in the truck? I don’t recall seeing one.
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:16 pm Slow him down? It would’ve saved his life. Is a proton pack shown in the truck? I don’t recall seeing one.
It would have taken too much time, which was running out, to go under into the flipped over truck in his state and retrieve it. Zuul would have killed him then and there, crushed the trap to free Vinz, and apocalypse. He needed only the Trap holding Vinz as bait to lure Zuul to the Trap field. However, thanks to the capacitors not working as they should have, the Trap field was a no-go. He likely knew he couldn't get to his lab and finish the pack in time before Zuul arrived and get back to the front and fix the power issue with the Trap field like Trevor did.

EDIT: Jason posted more bts photos

-B&W version of Ivan suited up but Jason states Ivan was used for only 1 insert shot.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWvtqagpy_C/

-Logan and Mckenna between takes in the Turner plant
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3VRkopHat/

-Mckenna in the dry ice in the Farmhouse.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW6vFvvPjMk/

-Audouy (I think) trying on a Terror Dog head
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWyQ29IpgIA/
mrmichaelt wrote: November 30th, 2021, 5:00 pm
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:16 pm Slow him down? It would’ve saved his life. Is a proton pack shown in the truck? I don’t recall seeing one.
It would have taken too much time, which was running out, to go under into the flipped over truck in his state and retrieve it. Zuul would have killed him then and there, crushed the trap to free Vinz, and apocalypse. He needed only the Trap holding Vinz as bait to lure Zuul to the Trap field. However, thanks to the capacitors not working as they should have, the Trap field was a no-go. He likely knew he couldn't get to his lab and finish the pack in time before Zuul arrived and get back to the front and fix the power issue with the Trap field like Trevor did.

EDIT: Jason posted more bts photos

-B&W version of Ivan suited up but Jason states Ivan was used for only 1 insert shot.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWvtqagpy_C/

-Logan and Mckenna between takes in the Turner plant
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW3VRkopHat/

-Mckenna in the dry ice in the Farmhouse.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CW6vFvvPjMk/

-Audouy (I think) trying on a Terror Dog head
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWyQ29IpgIA/
But…he was in the flipped truck. He wouldn’t have to go back into the truck. But I don’t think we saw a proton pack did we? I’ll have to look out for that when I rewatch it. But if your being chased by something and you have a weapon in the car, and the car flips. I’m grabbing the weapon. But again…we aren’t even sure if he had a proton pack. If he did I imagine the cops wouldn’t have known what it is when they found the flipped truck and returned it.
pizzarat wrote:
I guess you’re right—he gets so little dialogue that it’s easy to read too far into it.
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2021, 8:40 pm But…he was in the flipped truck. He wouldn’t have to go back into the truck. But I don’t think we saw a proton pack did we? I’ll have to look out for that when I rewatch it. But if your being chased by something and you have a weapon in the car, and the car flips. I’m grabbing the weapon. But again…we aren’t even sure if he had a proton pack. If he did I imagine the cops wouldn’t have known what it is when they found the flipped truck and returned it.
I've never been in a vehicle when it flips over several times and tried to get out with stuff when it's upside down. I don't know. Could he hauled both out? Maybe. He was short on time, he grabbed the Trap, and he believed the Trap field was going to work so he made a split second decision in the heat of the moment. On the other hand, he didn't even bring the P.K.E. Meter with him so maybe he only had a Trap with him. He left it near near Vinz's statue and waited for it to come out the statue then trapped him and high tailed it to the company truck and took off while Zuul was coming out of its statue.
The pack was found in need of repairs in the basement, right? That's probably why he didn't have it on him during that night.

Which beckons the question why he didn't repair it before going, but I must admit the movie has a tendency to just not explain a lot of these details.

My guess? He had to get there in a hurry, thought the pack in the Wrecto was enough and/or was just working on the packs in the mountain before the terror dogs managed to suddenly escape. Somehow.

No wait. He didn't use the Wrecto because that one was broken as well. He basically had to wing it, I guess.
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 30th, 2021, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having sat on it for a couple of weeks, my thoughts haven't significantly changed. I still most strongly feel the following changes would've helped the film immensely:

1) The film should've developed the fractured relationship between Phoebe and Callie more as a reflection of Callie's relationship with Egon, with Phoebe's similarities to Egon being part of why Callie struggles so much.
2) Create something that Phoebe figures out which turns out to be the essential final piece of the trap that Egon devised (and I would be happy for that element to be "a team backing him up," as others have suggested).
3) Drop ghost Egon during the finale as a visual entity and portray him as a guiding invisible force like he is in the rest of the movie, and replace the hugging the ghost with the conclusion of Phoebe and Callie's story.

Other small things:
  • Change the Shandor mine devices to something that clearly uses proton pack technology, but is not a proton pack, which is both more inventive and also helps clear up the confusion about the guys' packs
  • Rearrange the phone call slightly so that Phoebe introduces herself as Spengler's daughter first, prompting Ray's story, instead of having him randomly explain it to a stranger. Also, just edit the "Starbucks" slightly to "it's probably a Starbucks now." Same joke, no continuity error.
  • Drop Callie suddenly transforming into Dana's dress from the original, which makes no sense.
  • I still would've preferred the guys show up without banter blasting alongside Phoebe and everyone. After that, maybe you could work in some of the banter. Either that, or have them show up before Gozer arrives at the farmhouse. Anything to fix it so the scene doesn't just grind to a halt. Also, put Ray's "Hawaiians have better gods than you!" line back in.
  • Don't cross the streams. It makes no sense here.
  • Have Trevor get turned into a Terror Dog during the climax instead of Lucky, as it fits their established dynamic and feels comparatively fresher.
As for Phoebe calling Ray, I am not a psychologist, but Phoebe really seems to have some neurotypical tendencies. Calling Ray felt right to me in that it doesn't make traditional sense, but it makes a certain logical sense.
tylergfoster wrote: November 30th, 2021, 10:51 pm Having sat on it for a couple of weeks, my thoughts haven't significantly changed. I still most strongly feel the following changes would've helped the film immensely:

1) The film should've developed the fractured relationship between Phoebe and Callie more as a reflection of Callie's relationship with Egon, with Phoebe's similarities to Egon being part of why Callie struggles so much.
2) Create something that Phoebe figures out which turns out to be the essential final piece of the trap that Egon devised (and I would be happy for that element to be "a team backing him up," as others have suggested).
3) Drop ghost Egon during the finale as a visual entity and portray him as a guiding invisible force like he is in the rest of the movie, and replace the hugging the ghost with the conclusion of Phoebe and Callie's story.

Other small things:
  • Change the Shandor mine devices to something that clearly uses proton pack technology, but is not a proton pack, which is both more inventive and also helps clear up the confusion about the guys' packs
  • Rearrange the phone call slightly so that Phoebe introduces herself as Spengler's daughter first, prompting Ray's story, instead of having him randomly explain it to a stranger. Also, just edit the "Starbucks" slightly to "it's probably a Starbucks now." Same joke, no continuity error.
  • Drop Callie suddenly transforming into Dana's dress from the original, which makes no sense.
  • I still would've preferred the guys show up without banter blasting alongside Phoebe and everyone. After that, maybe you could work in some of the banter. Either that, or have them show up before Gozer arrives at the farmhouse. Anything to fix it so the scene doesn't just grind to a halt. Also, put Ray's "Hawaiians have better gods than you!" line back in.
  • Don't cross the streams. It makes no sense here.
  • Have Trevor get turned into a Terror Dog during the climax instead of Lucky, as it fits their established dynamic and feels comparatively fresher.
As for Phoebe calling Ray, I am not a psychologist, but Phoebe really seems to have some neurotypical tendencies. Calling Ray felt right to me in that it doesn't make traditional sense, but it makes a certain logical sense.
When I read that article and saw Dan improvised that line with the Hawaiian Gods I was shocked they didn’t put it in there. That’s a good joke. But then someone explained to me it might seem a little culturally insensitive. That’s frowned up these days. But it’s a good line.

Ray going on & on I actually found kinda funny and in character. Ray is the exposition man and he does the job here. I just wish they would’ve added a knowing wink/button on it like maybe Ray saying “wait. I’m doing it again arent I? I’m becoming the old man who tells their life story to strangers on the phone. Why am I telling you all this? Who are you?”.

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]