Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
groschopf wrote: December 4th, 2021, 6:58 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: December 4th, 2021, 5:51 pm Arjen Tuiten and Geoff Redknap posted bts stuff over the past couple days

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXCkayqlaie/
Who are these three?

I think they look like some of the mini ghosts from the Kenner toyline but they're probably not meant to be any of those. They brought back Bug-Eye so who knows.
mrmichaelt wrote: December 4th, 2021, 5:51 pmArjen Tuiten and Geoff Redknap posted bts stuff over the past couple days

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWgqH3rP88r/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWwFj4tvr2z/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXCkayqlaie/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWj5FdfJGto/
Dutch people represent!

Guess those are muncher models, since the art on that making off book depicted Muncher as a yellow ball as well.
mrmichaelt liked this
Projected to hit $145.1 million globally ($102.2 million domestic and 42.9 international).
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235057383/
Ecto24601 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 3:52 am Was there a dedicated thread to the surprise film shooting at Firestation 23 with the ECU and the Ecto or was that all covered in the Afterlife news thread? I'm trying to find the stuff but can't.
It would around October 5, 2020 for when the new cast and Ecto-1 were sighted on the Sony lot with Jason and August 2021 when Ecto-1 and the ECU were seen filming at the LA Firehouse. They were covered in the news thread, here's the links:

viewtopic.php?p=4940465#p4940465

viewtopic.php?p=4953676#p4953676
Ecto24601 liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:50 pm Projected to hit $145.1 million globally ($102.2 million domestic and 42.9 international).
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235057383/
Ecto24601 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 3:52 am Was there a dedicated thread to the surprise film shooting at Firestation 23 with the ECU and the Ecto or was that all covered in the Afterlife news thread? I'm trying to find the stuff but can't.
It would around October 5, 2020 for when the new cast and Ecto-1 were sighted on the Sony lot with Jason and August 2021 when Ecto-1 and the ECU were seen filming at the LA Firehouse. They were covered in the news thread, here's the links:

viewtopic.php?p=4940465#p4940465

viewtopic.php?p=4953676#p4953676
Aaaand it still has to open in other big markets.
deadderek, Corey91 liked this
timeware wrote: December 5th, 2021, 5:28 pm Afterlife will be earning more then ATC.

Domestic
Area Release Date Opening Gross
Domestic Jul 15, 2016 $46,018,755 $128,350,574
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. ATC had earned more money than GBA within the same period of time. So GBA is now lagging behind ATC’s gross.

BUT, obviously the pandemic has cut this movies box office in at least half, maybe more. I think GBA will finish around 125-130 million domestic, maybe less. But unless it gets a big Christmas boost GBA is tracking to finish behind ATC.
And I think the drop offs will be even more steep now that the Omicron variant is on everyone’s mind.

Studios know that the pandemic is obviously affecting things and apparently the rule of thumb they are using is that whatever the movie grossed, double it and that’s what they think regular movie going non pandemic business might’ve been. I can’t remember what one of the formulas they were using to guess was. It was something like Cinemascore of A and a second weekend drop of 55% or less and it’s at least double. It’s all just guess work tho. It means nothing.

Of course who really knows but I don’t think Sony is going to make a profit off of theatrical revenue alone on GBA. While it’s true they spent less on production by almost half, I don’t think that is true of the marketing. So we can probably say it was at least 100 million on marketing. That’s 175 million. Meaning just to break even on theatrical Sony needs about 350-400 million worldwide. Now of course once DVD’s and other ancillary things are taken into account they’ll probably be in the black. But that won’t happen for awhile.

This is all to say, be wary of all the videos out there and possible articles that crow about GBA’s success compared ATC. Technically they’d be right during non pandemic times. But you play the cards you are dealt and this is the card GBA was dealt. Luckily Sony knows this and has to be pleased at the films performance regardless.
deadderek, robbritton, Sav C liked this
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Afterlife can match or surpass ATC's $180 million total gross in week 4. They just have to make $34.9. Week 4, this coming week will be pretty important overall because it's the final week before Spider-Man comes out on December 17 the week after. Then yes, we'll should see a boost next year internationally when Afterlife releases in Australia, New Zealand, Eastern Europe, and Philippines in January and Japan in February.

Idk, isn't calculating when a movie profits always a futile effort as it varies from movie to movie and the studio will make sure their movie somehow makes a profit on paper?
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
This is all to say, be wary of all the videos out there and possible articles that crow about GBA’s success compared ATC. Technically they’d be right during non pandemic times. But you play the cards you are dealt and this is the card GBA was dealt. Luckily Sony knows this and has to be pleased at the films performance regardless.
The same can be said of the the articles crowing about Afterlife's defeat.It's still to early to tell. I'm fairly confident in predicting that Afterlife will do better then the $38 million this coming week. I'm going to be bold and predict $45 million as the movies done better then the low expectations people initially gave it.
mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: December 6th, 2021, 1:13 am Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Afterlife can match or surpass ATC's $180 million total gross in week 4. They just have to make $34.9. Week 4, this coming week will be pretty important overall because it's the final week before Spider-Man comes out on December 17 the week after. Then yes, we'll should see a boost next year internationally when Afterlife releases in Australia, New Zealand, Eastern Europe, and Philippines in January and Japan in February.

Idk, isn't calculating when a movie profits always a futile effort as it varies from movie to movie and the studio will make sure their movie somehow makes a profit on paper?
Actually the opposite is usually true, movie studios try and do as much as possible to show that the movie DIDNT profit on paper. WB rather infamously claimed that the 950 million or so dollars it made worldwide on the 5th Harry Potter film wasn’t enough to break even. Which is insane.

No smart business exec worth anything would ever, ever get involved in the movie business. One of the best books I’ve read about the making of movies is J.W Rinzler’s(Rest in Peace) Star Wars series. So back during the heyday of the original trilogy you figure George Lucas just must be sleeping on a giant bed made of money. Between the movie theatre grosses and the merchandise revenue? How could he not be? But during the making of Empire Strikes Back his company had trouble making payroll. All his money was wrapped up into his companies and just keeping them going & the lights turned on. And that’s when a really big budget movie was considered anything above 20 million. It’s pure craziness.
deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 6th, 2021, 2:16 am Actually the opposite is usually true, movie studios try and do as much as possible to show that the movie DIDNT profit on paper. WB rather infamously claimed that the 950 million or so dollars it made worldwide on the 5th Harry Potter film wasn’t enough to break even. Which is insane.

No smart business exec worth anything would ever, ever get involved in the movie business. One of the best books I’ve read about the making of movies is J.W Rinzler’s(Rest in Peace) Star Wars series. So back during the heyday of the original trilogy you figure George Lucas just must be sleeping on a giant bed made of money. Between the movie theatre grosses and the merchandise revenue? How could he not be? But during the making of Empire Strikes Back his company had trouble making payroll. All his money was wrapped up into his companies and just keeping them going & the lights turned on. And that’s when a really big budget movie was considered anything above 20 million. It’s pure craziness.
Really. Wow. That does come off insane.

Thanks for the book rec. I'll have to try and track that down. EDIT: Ah. Lot's of stuff on Amazon. Hey, he did one on Gil Kenan's Monster House!
timeware wrote: December 6th, 2021, 1:58 am
The same can be said of the the articles crowing about Afterlife's defeat.It's still to early to tell. I'm fairly confident in predicting that Afterlife will do better then the $38 million this coming week. I'm going to be bold and predict $45 million as the movies done better then the low expectations people initially gave it.
I mentioned the thing about videos crowing about Afterlife’s success because I’ve seen multiple videos from the usual suspects about how GBA is out performing ATC. I don’t think I’ve seen a single video about anyone crowing about Afterlife’s defeat. Have you? But there’s plenty about how “GBA made more money because Sony gave the fans what they wanted Vs ATC”.

Honestly? I thought all the press about how Ghostbusters Afterlife beat expectations was pure spin. It was BS. Early forecasting & tracking had GBA doing 40-50 million opening weekend about a month before. I think I even wrote about it on here. Infact I remember reading some people thinking it could higher.

Now that isn’t it say 44 million during a pandemic isn’t good. It is. But the movie was intentionally lowballed to make the opening appear better. Ghostbusters wasn’t the first movie that’s this happened to these last few months. The idea is to make it seem like theatrical is doing better and better. A headline that reads “Ghostbusters beats expectations” certainly sounds better doesn’t it? As soon as I heard that Sony was expecting a 25ish million opening I thought it was odd. I read those early tracking reports. If memory serves it had the highest potential as 70 something. Now granted as the release date draws closer more and more data is available to adjust projections but I don’t buy that a single person at Sony was surprised by that opening. Infact I have to wonder if some weren’t just a wee bit disappointed it didn’t crack 50.
Everything that I've read suggests the following:

1) That Ghostbusters: Afterlife exceeded box office expectations thus far, and we still have additional territories that have yet to see it. Hollywood accounting is always iffy, so there's no doubt in my mind that they will find a way to make this film profitable for the studio.

2) That Ghostbusters: Afterlife's numbers (or any film that has been released since the pandemic) would most certainly be much higher if not for the pandemic.

3) That Ghostbusters: Afterlife is well received by audiences, which will likely warrant a sequel, or some other project that will capitalize on the success of the film. (Wasn't Ecto-Force set in 2055? If so, maybe an adult Phoebe is leading a new time in the future).
I liked Max Landis concept for the final battle: all the city overrun by ghosts (similar to the Avengers final act).

Start GB4 with the Firehouse already reopened, show us the new Busters in the middle of their daily busting routine, the people treating them with affection.

Show us the old Busters finally enjoying the respect and love they deserve for saving the world three times.
Then something really serious begins lurking into our world. They need some serious help (make it a two part movie? Who knows). At the end the OGB hung up the packs, the torch has officially been passed.
I wonder how much they're taking reviews into account to gauge the success of the film. I'd assume that pre-pandemic, a Rotten Tomatoes audience score of 95% probably didn't mean anything if the film didn't break even, but post-pandemic it might be used as a sign that, under normal conditions, the movie would have good word of mouth. Not that they're looking at Rotten Tomatoes specifically--I'd just assume they're giving more weight to audience feedback than usual.
Overall, the most important thing is if it goes past 150. Because budget being 75 and double that. Most of the high rollers are not making back their budgets and promotes costs. Ghostbusters: Afterlife's budget being low is really what is making it a winner. I think it is safe to say that for the most part, we're seeing the final lap this weekend before Spider-man takes over. Been reading that most markets are not making the sales they normally do for any of the movies due to the ongoing pandemic.

So the film gets to 150 on Saturday, and in the next two weeks makes another 5 maybe. It's the home stretch here.
deadderek, mrmichaelt, Sav C liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: December 7th, 2021, 2:05 am Hmm, anyone if the sites that report the box office numbers know/predict breakeven for movies, too? I would guess with marketing and all that factored with the $75m, is Afterlife's breakeven around $150m or more closer to $200m?
Gonna be a toughy this time because they had to sit on it for so long and basically make more trailers / renew or lose more deals.
Alphagaia wrote: December 7th, 2021, 2:10 am Gonna be a toughy this time because they had to sit on it for so long and basically make more trailers / renew or lose more deals.
True. And what if theaters want a bigger percentage of ticket sales after they started reopening? Boy, we may never know Afterlife made a profit until the Internet tells us.
Alphagaia liked this
Jason posted a bts shot of Logan during his battle with the Mini-Pufts between takes.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXLnrQul2mG/

Also, I just realized the passage Podcast reads in Tobin's about Gozer and the underworld syncs up with the Mesopotamian/Sumerian underworld which sorta makes Gozer a stand-in for Ereshkigal.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]