Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Found a bunch of concepts

-More from Bryan Wania of Muncher
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PeZvzn

-Muncher concepts by Paolo Giandoso
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/B3GkJ9

-Gozer concepts by Paolo Giandoso
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g8QRRQ

-Firestation ghost concepts by Paolo Giandoso
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o2YJBm

-Mini-Puft assets made for marketing by Quentin Chaillet
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KOkDdr
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Qnk2zd

-RTV movement studies by Aaron Gray
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6beW2r

-Ecto Goggles concept by Aaron Gray
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8wP9EQ
Sav C wrote: August 28th, 2022, 12:28 pm Apologies if this has been posted already, but it looks like investors were expecting Afterlife to gross $650 million.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/08/bron- ... 234755634/
If ATC hadn't soured the brand, it likely would have. As well as not being released during November when Covid was still on everyone's minds as much.
Looking at the numbers Spiderman did, blaming Covid is a nonstarter for me.

ATC helped more people into the originals as well, though.

I just feel GB isn't as special as it once was with SFX and themes nowadays and these numbers are what a GB flick grosses.
deadderek wrote: August 28th, 2022, 3:17 pm
Sav C wrote: August 28th, 2022, 12:28 pm Apologies if this has been posted already, but it looks like investors were expecting Afterlife to gross $650 million.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/08/bron- ... 234755634/
If ATC hadn't soured the brand, it likely would have. As well as not being released during November when Covid was still on everyone's minds as much.
Yep.

Imagine how different Top Gun Maverick would’ve opened if they had been talking about a sequel for decades only for them to release a reboot that bombs & stinks up the joint with political and sexist controversies omly later a proper sequel where Maverick shows up in the last 10 minutes.

It’s like letting the air out of the balloon. There was all of this pent up energy and anticipation and then a movie no one wanted or asked for (even tho many ended up enjoying it) comes out and once that genie is out of the bottle, there’s no putting it back in.

What’s worse is GBA was still not really the movie people associate with Ghostbusters. The movie just never got over that “Stranger Things” rip off label. Fair or not.

Sony is all “Good news everyone! We are finally making another Ghostbusters sequel after 30 years! It’ll be the same Ghostbusters universe fans know and love. Except this time instead of New York City it’ll take place in Oklahoma, won’t be a comedy, won’t star any SNL or Second City alumni. Oh and remember how adults use to be Ghostbusters? Well that’s a thing of the past. Kid Ghostbusters, that’s the ticket!”

The Audience “Oh. Ok…well at least this time the original cast won’t be glorified cameos right?”

Sony “Um…”

The audience: “Well the last Ghostbusters sequel was criticized for not doing anything new and just repeated stuff from the first movie. You won’t make that same mistake will you?”

Sony “Um..”

The audience “After the first two movies kinda side stepped his character this time Ernie Hudson’s Winston will be given more to do right?”

Sony “Um…”

The Audience “ Since kid Ghostbusters are going to be a big part of the movie whatever you do don’t cast any of the kids from Stranger Things. See Because they referenced Ghostbusters in a major way and it might cause some people to to assume this new sequel is a rip off

Sony “Um..”

The Audience: Oh and one last thing. We all want this movie to be a big success so when you market the film make sure people know the Original Ghostbusters will be central characters

Sony “ Um…”

I’ve said this before but there’s no way in hell if a proper GB3 gets made, even if it’s a piece of shit, circa 2010-2012 or even before, it’s not a giant massive hit on par with the 4th Indiana Jones movie. But then imagine if it’s actually great and funny and people love it? I think we could’ve seen the love Top Gun Maverick got but with Ghostbusters.

Instead we got a reboot that bombed and a few people liked but a lot didn’t & a legacy sequel that was the equivalent of a cinematic pop corn fart. I know a lot of you liked it but is that really the best they could do? A Jr Ghostbusters movie that’s more sad than funny?

But I digress…
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
blaming Covid is a nonstarter for me.
Covid was a definite factor into Afterlife's success. I still believe that they would have benefited from a dual release, and re-releasing the film one more time. It was hurt by the delays and companies not having confidence to create around the clock merch. December is a good release for fire house as they can play off the Halloween season if Sony's smart about it.
I too don't feel Spider-Man is a fair comparison, No Way Home was probably the most eagerly-anticipated installment in the Tom Holland Spidey series, not to mention it being a part of the widely-popular MCU, whose movies tend to have decent turn-outs from the cinema-going public.

The public had a pretty good idea of what to expect from it so it didn't have to work all that hard to get butts in seats, plus it was very likely the sort of thing the public were keen to see after the events of the previous year: a fun and upbeat distraction. The hill was much steeper for Afterlife to climb in comparison.
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: August 28th, 2022, 7:57 pm I too don't feel Spider-Man is a fair comparison, No Way Home was probably the most eagerly-anticipated installment in the Tom Holland Spidey series, not to mention it being a part of the widely-popular MCU, whose movies tend to have decent turn-outs from the cinema-going public.

The public had a pretty good idea of what to expect from it so it didn't have to work all that hard to get butts in seats, plus it was very likely the sort of thing the public were keen to see after the events of the previous year: a fun and upbeat distraction. The hill was much steeper for Afterlife to climb in comparison.
All of what you say is true. But no one is saying GBA could’ve done Spider-Man business. But it literally did 10% of Spider-Man. 10%. So that’s why COVID shouldn’t be used as an excuse. 2 billion worldwide Vs 200 million. Ghostbusters 2 outgrossed GBA in 1989. Hell in 1984 Ghostbusters 1 domestically outgrossed GBA worldwide.

Spider-Man opened about a month after GBA. A month. 2 billion Vs 200 million. There’s no reason why GBA couldn’t have doubled that tally. It’s worldwide showing was pathetic. Embarrassing, frankly. Especially when you see what a film does when it captures the zeitgeist.

You see what happens when you bring beloved characters back? Spider-Man was huge not because of Tom Holland. It had 3 Spidermen in it. Tom Gun Maverick was huge because Tom Cruise was back as Maverick in the lead role. That’s how you do this PROPERLY.

Imagine a Ghostbusters 3 with our original cast integral to the plot with some younger famous leads supporting them.

This is how you mismanage a franchise because chances are those days are gone. Ghostbusters is now a franchise where 3 out of the 4 movies have underperformed. And it was all entirely preventable.
Alphagaia liked this
Sony Pictures (not Ghost Corp) certainly are lacking in creative talent and handling franchises. Amy Pascal, cough. They've completely mishandled Spider-man and Men In Black… I mean… imagine mishandling Spider-man to the extent they have to lean on the MCU to oversee their movies.

ATC did deflate the Ghostbusters hype, but there was a lot of scepticism about the franchise anyway.

Afterlife is like… 70% the perfect Ghostbusters legacy sequel, but it was a misstep not to include Ray or Winston, if not Venkman, earlier in the story and just nail 2-3 scenes they could use in the promotional material. But then handing it to another writer for a comedy pass would’ve been beneficial, cutting in some of the deleted scenes and ghost concept art… there is a fully-fleshed out version of Afterlife which would’ve maybe landed better. As it is… GBA nails the heart of the movie, the Egon appearance, Phoebe, the Muncher chase.

Richardless - I get it, the Amblin, sad / nostalgia tone of Afterlife and the kid actors - are different to the first two movies’ more adult, comedic tone. But this isn’t a fault of the movie, this is deliberate intent. It was a classy and personal way to handle Harold’s passing, expand the franchise and is a nod to Real Ghostbusters. Under the circumstances I don’t see how they could’ve repeated GBI&II without Murray and with ATC already repeating that schtick several years earlier.

It’s fair to say Afterlife’s box office was kneecapped by covid, and regardless of quality some review outlets were going to pan it. If they’d delivered a 100% fan-pleasing perfect Afterlife I still don’t think it would’ve hit their expectations in those conditions. Firehouse stands a good chance but I hope Sony give it a decent budget and Ghost Corp have listened to the feedback from Afterlife.
Kingpin liked this
I feel GBA is the best response they could have done after so many years. For a GBfan it's filled with Easter eggs and truly a movie made for the fans. That's also it's main problem.

For everyone else it's a comedy premise that took itself way too seriously and lost itself in editing and with paying homage to legacy.

GB2 was to much of a carbon copy of GB84 filtered for kids.
ATC forgot to take itself seriously.
GBA took itself to seriously and was way to safe.
Still wish we had less marketable minipufts and more of the scenes building up the OGB so it would earn that finale.

I hope Firehouse will focus more on 'just winging it' and 'having fun' and do the unexpected . Which GBA kinda set it up for as it dealt with the fate of the OGB and set up the new crew.

GBA felt a bit as a palet cleanser to say it blunt.
RichardLess, Sav C liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 29th, 2022, 1:40 am Sony Pictures (not Ghost Corp) certainly are lacking in creative talent and handling franchises. Amy Pascal, cough. They've completely mishandled Spider-man and Men In Black… I mean… imagine mishandling Spider-man to the extent they have to lean on the MCU to oversee their movies.

ATC did deflate the Ghostbusters hype, but there was a lot of scepticism about the franchise anyway.

Afterlife is like… 70% the perfect Ghostbusters legacy sequel, but it was a misstep not to include Ray or Winston, if not Venkman, earlier in the story and just nail 2-3 scenes they could use in the promotional material. But then handing it to another writer for a comedy pass would’ve been beneficial, cutting in some of the deleted scenes and ghost concept art… there is a fully-fleshed out version of Afterlife which would’ve maybe landed better. As it is… GBA nails the heart of the movie, the Egon appearance, Phoebe, the Muncher chase.

Richardless - I get it, the Amblin, sad / nostalgia tone of Afterlife and the kid actors - are different to the first two movies’ more adult, comedic tone. But this isn’t a fault of the movie, this is deliberate intent. It was a classy and personal way to handle Harold’s passing, expand the franchise and is a nod to Real Ghostbusters. Under the circumstances I don’t see how they could’ve repeated GBI&II without Murray and with ATC already repeating that schtick several years earlier.

It’s fair to say Afterlife’s box office was kneecapped by covid, and regardless of quality some review outlets were going to pan it. If they’d delivered a 100% fan-pleasing perfect Afterlife I still don’t think it would’ve hit their expectations in those conditions. Firehouse stands a good chance but I hope Sony give it a decent budget and Ghost Corp have listened to the feedback from Afterlife.
Yeah you are spot on about the Sony Pictures problem. I’ve made no secret of my disdain for their incompetence. Look at Uncharted. Here’s a movie that could’ve been the Indiana Jones of the 21st century but no. Did it make some money? Sure. But it was awful. Or Morbius. What was that shit show? Yikes…The Venom movies make money, sure, but I bet they’d make a lot more with an actual good movie. You mentioned Men in Black—yep. That’s a big one.

I agree there was skepticism about the franchise but the same was also true about Top Gun 2 or any franchise that’s not seen a theatrical release in decades.

About the reviews…that’s a hard one. Critics aren’t robots. They all bring a certain amount of baggage with them into the theatre but I don’t think “regardless of quality” is a fair assessment. I think what’s probably more true is that certain critics went into the theatres saying to themselves “this movie needs to justify its existence” and when it didn’t do that for them you get that negative review. The filmmakers knew the environment they were entering. And a way to combat that is to release a great film. If your a cynical person, like many critics are, this movie is chum in the water. “Nostalgia” is a dirty word to some critics and when a movie doesn’t rise above its nostalgia bait…You get the reaction to GBA.

The problem is this “it’s for the fans” or “fan pleasing” stuff. Screw the fans. Screw us. Just make the movie you want to make. Don’t contrive your story just for moments where fans will point at the screen and go “oh! I get that! That’s a reference I get!”. It’s a dangerous trap to fall into. Sometimes fan service can work and it’s magic(see the Mandalorian season 2 finale for an example of that). Other times it’s pandering, cheap and easy. And I hate to say it but after the shit show of ATC controversy, what did this fandom do to deserve anything that’s “for them”?

Like…what are the OGB’s even doing in this movie? They literally appear out of nowhere. Literally. They are a dues ex machina. And I hate that because boy did I want to see my guys again in uniform and busting ghosts. The OGB’s show up and we fans bark & clap like seals who’ve been given a fish to do a trick. But it’s not earned, it’s not set up, it makes no sense from a staging POV, and frankly a lot of it, after you get over the emotion of seeing them again, is bad. Dan and Bill are forcing themselves and when I watch it I cringe. Bills “power couple” thing is so…hm. Then Dan’s overacting like he hasn’t delivered dialogue in 10 years. Does he nail the “I’m sorry” bit? Totally. He nails it. It’s a nice moment. I only wish it would’ve been Venkman saying it…for obvious reasons. That might’ve been one of those rare transcendent meta moments where the audience wonders…is this Bill Murray saying he’s sorry? And I’ll be honest, if they did that? I’d still be crying.

As for “it’s not the fault of the movie” I gotta disagree. This movie has the ingredients to work. It’s well directed, the acting is mostly very good. If you took all the ghostbusters connections out the movie? It would be all the better. I’m serious. It’s the Ghostbusters title & iconography that holds the movie back. Now there’s a sentence I never thought I’d see myself writing lol.
Chicken, He Clucked, robbritton and -1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:14 amLook at Uncharted. Here’s a movie that could’ve been the Indiana Jones of the 21st century but no. Did it make some money? Sure. But it was awful.
"Awful"? That seems a little harsh as it did seem to tick many of the same boxes as Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I went in with a generally casual knowledge of the Uncharted franchise (always wanted to play them, but they're exclusive to the console I don't own), but found it to be very entertaining - a film you can enjoy for the sheer entertainment/spectacle and not have to devote too much brain power to... Which seems representative of the game series from my casual experience of them.

Likewise a friend of mine who I believe has played the games also really enjoyed the film.
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:14 amScrew the fans. Screw us. Just make the movie you want to make.
While I'll definitely be wary about tailoring a film solely to appeal to the most devoted of the fan community, I feel it's at your peril to go the "screw the fans" route, one of the best recent examples of that is both the Resident Evil movie series and the now-cancelled Netflix series. They both went the "made the thing they wanted to make" route, choosing to employ stuff from the actual games as window dressing or seasoning, and resulted in generally bad stories/adaptations of the franchise.
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:14 amAnd I hate to say it but after the shit show of ATC controversy, what did this fandom do to deserve anything that’s “for them”?
Agreed with you on that score, there is a part of me that feels we didn't deserve to get another film after how some of us acted back in 2016.

Bill definitely should've been the one to say sorry... I'm just not sure if it would've sounded convincing from him if he had done it.
robbritton, mrmichaelt liked this
Alphagaia wrote: August 28th, 2022, 10:25 pm Doesn't that proof my point though?
If people wanted to see GBA as badly as Spidey they would have done so.
There was a LOT of hype for the new Spidey film though, it was the first dive into the multiverse in the MCU. The marketing around GB:A was very little, products were pushed or cancelled due to the film's release date constantly being moved. The marketing around Spidey was definitively theatrical and that's what the studio concentrated on.
The problem is this “it’s for the fans” or “fan pleasing” stuff. Screw the fans. Screw us. Just make the movie you want to make.
I agree here, I enjoyed Afterlife but there was almost too much fan service, right down to the same cinematic shots from GB1. This is why I'm hoping Jason doesn't bring Vigo back for the next one :( please, something new and non-world-ending.
Everybody needs to let Marvel numbers comparisons go, especially any businesses backing Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters could have maybe done business similar to that in 1985, but it's not even in the same time zone of popular these days, let alone ball park.

Ghostbusters is not a big deal. IDW had to bring in TMNT and Transformers to boost the comics numbers. We are a very, very niche market.

---

Bringing Vigo back would be absolutely awful. There's so much new stuff to do! Use your imaginations, Ghost Corps! Make us wonder again!
mrmichaelt liked this
robbritton wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:56 am Everybody needs to let Marvel numbers comparisons go, especially any businesses backing Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters could have maybe done business similar to that in 1985, but it's not even in the same time zone of popular these days, let alone ball park.

Ghostbusters is not a big deal. IDW had to bring in TMNT and Transformers to boost the comics numbers. We are a very, very niche market.

---

Bringing Vigo back would be absolutely awful. There's so much new stuff to do! Use your imaginations, Ghost Corps! Make us wonder again!
I gotta disagree there. All due respect, no movie that grosses 200 million dollars is “very very niche”. I mean come on. If Ghostbusters was “very very niche” we wouldn’t be getting a sequel, merchandise or a 500 dollar proton pack. Ghostbusters isn’t niche at all. It’s mainstream all the way. Because it doesn’t sell comic books doesn’t mean much of anything. I’d argue Comic books are niche these days, not Ghostbusters. The problem is the medium not the property.

Now is it marvel? No. Of course not. But it’s also not meeting its potential. Again, no one, and I mean no one, thought Top Gun Maverick would do the business it did. But that’s what happens when you make a movie that connects with audiences. Ghostbusters 3 could’ve been that movie at one point. Circa 2012 maybe? Again, look at Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. People just wanted to see Indiana Jones again. Now imagine if it had been great?

You know when Ghostbusters was very very niche? June 7th 1984. It opened on June 8th. You make the right movie, at the right time? It’s magic.

The question we need to ask is…does Ghostbusters have a ceiling on its box office? Before 2016, or whenever the reboot was greenlit, my answer would’ve been no.

And I still don’t know. Movies are funny things. If they make all the right moves on this next movie, who knows. If we start seeing comedians or funny people attached to this new movie…mixed with the December release date? It’s a good date.

Don’t forget we also have animated series and movies in the pipeline.

Look at how Paramount as been managing Star Trek. Now I’d say alot of “fans” aren’t pleased. Picard and Discovery have been controversial within the fanbase. But they are being smart. They saw the movies they were releasing in theatres werent doing the business they wanted so they went with what Star Trek has always been good at. TV. So now there’s 5-6 Star Trek shows on the air. Including animated series for kids. They are building the brand up so the attachment exists beyond trekkies. We’ll see how well it’s worked when the next movie hits. But it’s smart and it takes time and it takes investment. And it takes quality with a dash of luck.

Kingpin wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:11 am
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:14 amLook at Uncharted. Here’s a movie that could’ve been the Indiana Jones of the 21st century but no. Did it make some money? Sure. But it was awful.
"Awful"? That seems a little harsh as it did seem to tick many of the same boxes as Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I went in with a generally casual knowledge of the Uncharted franchise (always wanted to play them, but they're exclusive to the console I don't own), but found it to be very entertaining - a film you can enjoy for the sheer entertainment/spectacle and not have to devote too much brain power to... Which seems representative of the game series from my casual experience of them.

Likewise a friend of mine who I believe has played the games also really enjoyed the film.
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:14 amScrew the fans. Screw us. Just make the movie you want to make.
While I'll definitely be wary about tailoring a film solely to appeal to the most devoted of the fan community, I feel it's at your peril to go the "screw the fans" route, one of the best recent examples of that is both the Resident Evil movie series and the now-cancelled Netflix series. They both went the "made the thing they wanted to make" route, choosing to employ stuff from the actual games as window dressing or seasoning, and resulted in generally bad stories/adaptations of the franchise.
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:14 amAnd I hate to say it but after the shit show of ATC controversy, what did this fandom do to deserve anything that’s “for them”?
Agreed with you on that score, there is a part of me that feels we didn't deserve to get another film after how some of us acted back in 2016.

Bill definitely should've been the one to say sorry... I'm just not sure if it would've sounded convincing from him if he had done it.
Well “awful” was just my personal opinion. I think it was mismanaged and I think the numbers kinda support that. Let’s break down the numbers. 41% on rotten tomatoes. 6.4 on IMDb. And a B+ cinemascore(the way cinemascore works anything below an A- is considered to have weak word of mouth potential. 4 quadrant movies want an A-or higher). In a properly managed movie I’d want to see a 75%+ on RT, an A- or above cinemascore, and a 7.5 or higher on IMDb. I don’t think that’s asking a lot. So when we see a movie still make some money despite those numbers, I think it’s fair to say, had they made a movie audiences really dug, you’ve got a bigger hit on your hands. My biggest gripe with the movie was all I could see was potential been wasted(noticing a pattern here with Sony movies). Uncharted could’ve been a Indiana Jones or a Pirates of the Caribbean type movie. Instead it was a middling forgettable time. “Awful” is a bit harsh, you’re right. It wasn’t good I’ll say that. And I think it could’ve been. Not every movie has that built in potential.

I’ve also come to really, REALLY, dislike Mark Whalberg. I like Tom Holland but I think he was miscast. This movie needed someone with a magnetic screen presence. I think Chris Pine would’ve been a good choice. That dude has charisma to spare. Ryan Reynolds maybe? But Tom Holland, as much as I like him, just didn’t do it for me.
Look at how Paramount as been managing Star Trek. Now I’d say alot of “fans” aren’t pleased. Picard and Discovery have been controversial within the fanbase. But they are being smart. They saw the movies they were releasing in theatres werent doing the business they wanted so they went with what Star Trek has always been good at. TV. So now there’s 5-6 Star Trek shows on the air. Including animated series for kids. They are building the brand up so the attachment exists beyond trekkies. We’ll see how well it’s worked when the next movie hits. But it’s smart and it takes time and it takes investment. And it takes quality with a dash of luck.
I haven't watched Picard yet, but it looks good. One of the reasons Discovery became controversial was the drastic changes they made to the Klingons. If DC would take a que from Paramount, hire some decent writers, replace that train wreck Ezra Miller with Grant Gustin... they might have an actual shot at releasing a decent Flash movie. Honestly speaking though Marvel is really meant for the big screen and DC is meant for TV. DC's already had to scrap two movies. Black Adam and Shazam might just be the two film's that pull their butt's out of the fire.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:17 am What the film needed was an additional scene or two the with OGB’s midway through to set up the ending.
Which was in the script at one point because they filmed it as we saw in some featurettes. But was reworked and edited into the end tags. I don't think that was Potts just hanging around i.e. like she was there at the Venkman house set with Murray and Weaver. I would have liked to see those deleted scenes in the initial home release. And still do. I'm sure their reasoning was for pacing, focus on the new cast 90% of the movie, and then during covid getting a brainstorm and thinking they would play better as end tags with the Firehouse and Winston scene they filmed during post.
mrmichaelt wrote: August 29th, 2022, 5:54 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:17 am What the film needed was an additional scene or two the with OGB’s midway through to set up the ending.
Which was in the script at one point because they filmed it as we saw in some featurettes. But was reworked and edited into the end tags. I don't think that was Potts just hanging around i.e. like she was there at the Venkman house set with Murray and Weaver. I would have liked to see those deleted scenes in the initial home release. And still do. I'm sure their reasoning was for pacing, focus on the new cast 90% of the movie, and then during covid getting a brainstorm and thinking they would play better as end tags with the Firehouse and Winston scene they filmed during post.
I’m still surprised we haven’t seen a script online yet. Usually when they try and keep scripts under wraps there is a reason. Spider-Man No Way Home released their script while the movie was still in theatres. I wonder why they don’t want it out. There weren’t major reshoots or anything I don’t think.
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2022, 9:56 pm I’m still surprised we haven’t seen a script online yet. Usually when they try and keep scripts under wraps there is a reason. Spider-Man No Way Home released their script while the movie was still in theatres. I wonder why they don’t want it out. There weren’t major reshoots or anything I don’t think.
I'm pretty sure No Way Home's case was related to an Academy Awards nomination push. Had Afterlife gotten enough votes in that popularity thing or got a regular nomination, a script would have been released. But it did not and like Answer The Call, to this day, no drafts have entered the wilds of the Internet yet.
It would be interesting to see if they wrote Afterlife and Firehouse back to back. Maybe that's one of the reason's we haven't seen it yet? It wouldn't be the first time that's been done, so maybe they're taking the time to tweak it a bit? I don't think ATC will ever be released with the mess that it was.
I think the reason those scenes were reworked as end credits is that they thought that a little more OGB make more sense in the next movie with the Firehouse reopening.

Jason said that they came up with the GB4 concept working on Afterlife, so they had all the time to rethink/rework things.
Davideverona wrote:I think the reason those scenes were reworked as end credits is that they thought that a little more OGB make more sense in the next movie with the Firehouse reopening.
Yeah, probably.

Davideverona wrote:Jason said that they came up with the GB4 concept working on Afterlife, so they had all the time to rethink/rework things.
timeware wrote:It would be interesting to see if they wrote Afterlife and Firehouse back to back.
Essentially seems like they wrote it back to back in the sense they both did not do any other movie between Ghostbusters projects. I'd bet it was during the covid shutdown when they were in post but could have been during principal i.e. shooting the breeze between takes and they started to get some ideas by the time filming wrapped in October 2019. Somethings had to have been peculating in those 2 years once they got the idea of Winston bringing Ecto-1 back to NYC. We do know by October 2021, Ernie Hudson heard they were writing it. Then in December, Kenan hinted they were in "very active detailed conversations" about where the next Ghostbusters could go in the wake of Afterlife. Then the June 2022 THR article had that quote of "We had the story before we finished Afterlife. And we have been crafting this with as much care as it took to build Afterlife into a worthy sequel," and they did pitch the idea to the late Ivan Reitman before his passing in February 2022, "We talked about what we wanted to see happen to the Spengler family and even outside the Spengler family. And he was so excited. He was just thrilled about where we wanted to go. And sitting there, telling him what we wanted to do with the story was a daunting responsibility, but his enthusiasm for it is what fuels us today."

timeware wrote:Maybe that's one of the reason's we haven't seen it yet? It wouldn't be the first time that's been done, so maybe they're taking the time to tweak it a bit? I don't think ATC will ever be released with the mess that it was.
Nah, they're not obligated to release drafts if they don't want to. The first 2 movies, sure in the 80s, everyone had copies of scripts and some feel through the cracks i.e. was given to a nephew as a gift, nephew later sold it on ebay 10 years later. But nowadays, I'd assume drafts are a bit more lock stock and barrel. I'm curious if they are even printed en masse like they were in the 80s or it's all on protected tablets, servers etc. and no one can print them.
Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? Fu[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]