For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
Here’s the popular YouTube channel “Toy Galaxy” with a look at the making of “Extreme Ghostbusters”.

There’s some interesting stuff here including a look at early designs, marketing and unmade toy prototypes plus analysis on the cartoon itself and franchise as a whole. A great way to spend 20 minutes. They go deep. Plus the question is asked “Why did this show fail”? And offers a few theories. Which one do you agree with? Disagree with?

It digs in to the age old question. What makes Ghostbusters “Ghostbusters”? is it the idea/concept? Or the characters?
From what I recall, the initial order was always for 40 episodes and a renewal was never guaranteed but the inconsistent time slots didn't help. In the late 90s, I'm sure toy sales was a big percentage of a show failing or succeeding. So it was probably for these 2 reasons that EGB never continued. I also think another reason was the attempt to make the third movie around the same time failed. At the time, an interest in Ghostbusters III peaked again but went nowhere when Murray, Reitman and whoever else weren't interested in the Hellbent script draft/outline from Aykroyd and Ramis so without a movie in the works, support for keeping the corporate synergy going was probably few and dwindled so EGB was not renewed.
mrmichaelt wrote: September 10th, 2022, 12:00 am From what I recall, the initial order was always for 40 episodes and a renewal was never guaranteed but the inconsistent time slots didn't help. In the late 90s, I'm sure toy sales was a big percentage of a show failing or succeeding. So it was probably for these 2 reasons that EGB never continued. I also think another reason was the attempt to make the third movie around the same time failed.
40 episodes isn’t a bad run either. There are other more popular shows that got something like 52 episodes(Batman Beyond comes to mind). That’s only 12 more. It’s certainly nowhere near RGB levels. But that’s a pretty good first series order. Though if memory serves the show was a Monday-Friday thing and not Saturday morning once a week. At least I think that’s the way it ran when I watched it.
mrmichaelt wrote: September 10th, 2022, 12:00 am At the time, an interest in Ghostbusters III peaked again but went nowhere when Murray, Reitman and whoever else weren't interested in the Hellbent script draft/outline from Aykroyd and Ramis so without a movie in the works, support for keeping the corporate synergy going was probably few and dwindled so EGB was not renewed.
That’s a good point about GB3. I’ve always wondered if Reitman or Aykroyd had any involvement in the series. I know at that time a movie couldn’t be made without all 4 principles agreeing, but I wonder how it worked for TV shows. It seems like Reitman/Aykroyd had some kind of involvement with RGB, I think Joe Medjuck or Michael Gross were involved. But I haven’t heard anything like that for EGB. Of course a DVD would go a long way in helping clearing some of that up by way of special features. But given that it’s 2022…I’m not holding my breath

What do you think of the title? Would you rather it be called “Super Ghostbusters”?(i’m not so sure about that title myself). It’s definitely very ‘90s with the “Extreme”. But there’s something kinda charming about that in hindsight. It’s also interesting that the show came close to being an almost all female crew led by Jeanine. Makes me wonder how different the reaction to GBATC would’ve been had the cartoon done it first. Maybe the vitriol wouldn’t have been so awful. The diversity on EGB for 1990s is extremely(ha ha) impressive. It’s not something you even thought about as a kid. It’s just…these are the new Ghostbusters and they rock! Garret was one of my favs as a kid and it never once entered my mind that his wheel chair defined him. I was always bothered I never had a Garret toy to play with.
GuyX wrote:Though if memory serves the show was a Monday-Friday thing and not Saturday morning once a week. At least I think that’s the way it ran when I watched it.
Yeah... I don't think I ever watched it live because it was in the afternoon when I was at school.

GuyX wrote:That’s a good point about GB3. I’ve always wondered if Reitman or Aykroyd had any involvement in the series. I know at that time a movie couldn’t be made without all 4 principles agreeing, but I wonder how it worked for TV shows. It seems like Reitman/Aykroyd had some kind of involvement with RGB, I think Joe Medjuck or Michael Gross were involved. But I haven’t heard anything like that for EGB.
With the cartoons, Reitman, Aykroyd, and Ramis looked pretty hands off and Medjuck and Gross acted as majordomo. At least that's what it felt like they implied in bonus material on the RGB set. By 1997, I'm fairly sure the late Mr. Gross was retired from the industry but I do know Medjuck was listed as an executive producer for EGB like he was for RGB and Slimer! so I suspect Medjuck at least read the scripts and weighed in. But we do know of anecdotes like when Aykroyd and Ramis contacted DiC to say they liked "Elementary My Dear Winston," commending the use of belief made manifest so the episodes of EGB must have come to them in some form as well in theory.

GuyX wrote:What do you think of the title? Would you rather it be called “Super Ghostbusters”?(i’m not so sure about that title myself). It’s definitely very ‘90s with the “Extreme”. But there’s something kinda charming about that in hindsight.
"Extreme" has a charm to it almost in the same way the logo in the second movie was meant as a promotional gimmick in-universe. It certainly evokes the 90s marketing era better than "Super" ever could have.

GuyX wrote: It’s also interesting that the show came close to being an almost all female crew led by Jeanine. Makes me wonder how different the reaction to GBATC would’ve been had the cartoon done it first. Maybe the vitriol wouldn’t have been so awful.
That was certainly intriguing that Janine was going to be the main mentor at one point. Idk, I doubt an all female team at the time would have lessened what happened with ATC. I mean, the Junior Ghostbusters didn't do Afterlife any favors, imo. I was dreading a Junior Ghostbusters vibe but once I saw Phoebe and Podcast in the trailer and stuff, any concerns of mine dissipated.

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]