Hello all, I am hoping for some guidance on commissioning a proton pack build. I am not an artisan whatsoever, so everything will have to be in the hands in the maker. Nor am I an expert on the details of what's accurate and what is not, which is why I need a little help in order to not get something that falls short of what I'm looking for.

The general premise of the build I am looking to do, is a screen-accurate proton pack that not only looks like an actual working proton pack, but one that gets the sound and feel as close to that of a "real" piece working of equipment. Hyper-hyper accuracy can be sacrificed in the name of that goal, since move props are often not so "real" looking on ultra-close inspection. I hope that at least makes some sense. If not...then tl;dr, I want a proton pack that looks, feels, and sounds like an actual piece of working equipment, and not just a (well done) “prop” or “replica”.

A (potentially) rather idiosyncratic desire of mine is it to have a crystal-clear, louder than "normal", film-accurate sound effects system. Some packs tend to sound muffled, or a bit hollow. As an audiophile, that simply is not going to fly. I really want this thing to be a true showstopper in the sound and lighting effects department. Bottom line...make it seem like there's actually a proton pack firing a positron stream...short of there being an actual positron stream. The GB2 proton stream sound effect is preferable, as I find the start-up sound of it to come across as much more authoritative. I don't know if anyone has any knowledge regarding using higher-quality, larger diameter speaker drivers to achieve such a thing, but any insight is greatly appreciated. As for lighting, a screen-accurate arrangement that's bright and complete, no non-illuminating dummy lights. As well as proton stream lighting effects in the barrel that isn't simply two alternating red and blue LED's, I'd like something a lot more substantial than that.

I think a few other things are necessary to get this thing looking and *feeling* like an actual piece of equipment. All correct vintage components, from the Clippard valve right down the hose fittings, is a must. A fully aluminum wand, metal knobs, metal pack components wherever possible, genuine industrial grade hosing/lines/resistors/fittings/etc., etc. etc. etc.... High-quality, heavy duty, screen accurate decals is a must; as is the proper pack shell texturing.

The extra accoutrements such as a "popping" barrel, genuine alice frame with GB2 "super straps", proton stream overheat sound effect, N-filter smoke venting on overheat and manual vent, and vibration cams in both the wand and pack are also on the wish-list. And as an added bonus, a cool looking display stand, and the ability to toggle the "running" noise of the pack on and off in case it starts annoying those around it.

I realize this is a bit of a long post, but I hope it at least gets the idea across. Any insight on how to achieve this, and who to go to for this commission is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!
CitizenBuster wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 11:18 am Proton Props offers the '89 pack. Which pretty much checks all the boxes that you're looking for. https://protonpropsuk.com/
Thank you! Proton Props is actually the one artisan I've reached out to. And his '89 pack is what caught my eye. It's good to hear I've made a correct first step! Though I haven't really heard back from him on the initial inquiry I made a few days ago.

The details of the build, especially upgrading the sound and lighting effects systems, are still things I'd like to crowdsource some information on. If for no other purpose than to get a broader perspective on both the viability and best means of getting there.
Dave from Proton Props at times is very hard to get ahold of. Especially this time of year. But his packs are pretty much the best you can get right now. Be fair warned though, there is a very lengthy wait for completion of commission. All the aluminum upgrades to the pack will add more to the wait time. This is my recently acquired'84.Image
kestrel452 liked this
Second shout for David at Proton Props. He'll do whatever you want within the realms of possibility provided you pay for it!

The aluminium wand might throw a significant amount onto the delivery time though, as there at VERY few people making them, already with very long lead times on them, so be aware of that.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]