gpstar wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:27 pm
jonogunn wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:22 pm What did you do about the 3 different firing sound effects?
The video game modes? Slime, ice etc? I am going to code those up tomorrow.
No the different versions of the main firing sound effect...fire, fire with short tail, fire with long tail
jonogunn wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:42 pm
gpstar wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:27 pm

The video game modes? Slime, ice etc? I am going to code those up tomorrow.
No the different versions of the main firing sound effect...fire, fire with short tail, fire with long tail
So what I am doing at the moment, but I will be tweaking it some more : based on my enum naming conventions :

S_FIRE_START,
S_FIRE_START_SPARK,
S_FIRE_LOOP,
S_FIRE_LOOP_GUN,
S_FIRE_LOOP_IMPACT,
S_FIRING_END,
S_FIRING_END_GUN,

When you fire, START and START_SPARK plays right away on both pack and wand.

LOOP_GUN fades in over the START. On the pack, it plays back LOOP instead (a different variation of the stream sound). During a longer fire, LOOP_IMPACT overlays itself over LOOP and LOOP_GUN based on a timer, and it will reset itself to play again after a X amount of time firing.

When you let off on the firing, the wand plays FIRING_END_GUN and the pack plays FIRING_END. These are the 2 different tail endings.

I am going to tweak them some more.
Peeno, Darren Carnall liked this
DAYUM! That's a lot more progress in just a couple of days than I expected. This setup is everything I was hoping the community would come up with, and you've 100% nailed it. When it comes time for final assembly, I would assume (hope) there's only a single WAV trigger board involved? Based on the videos I only see 1 though I don't know if that came out of the wand where you had it originally. Either way, I've seen a lot of people looking to replace their stock hose and wire loom between the pack and the wand and there's no doubt more conductors will be needed. Any thoughts on whether the final setup will allow for the WAV board to stay in the pack while the wand just uses a pair of wires for TX/RX (serial?) to trigger the audio events?
Hello everyone! I was taking a look at the pack PCB and I must say, it seems like there's more to this board than meets the eye. There are a few pads where extra connector headers can be added and they are labeled as RST, CLK, DATA, and more. Some of these even appear to be redundant, which makes me think that they could be there for the wand to function properly.

I was wondering if anyone has ever delved deeper into these connector pads and tried using pulse generators or similar tools with them? For example, I'm curious if sending a pulse to the RST every so often could help keep the pack alive. Or, maybe applying a clock generator to the CLK signal could make the cyclotron sound go faster? Has anyone tried anything like this or have any thoughts on this topic?
JustinDustin wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:02 pm DAYUM! That's a lot more progress in just a couple of days than I expected. This setup is everything I was hoping the community would come up with, and you've 100% nailed it. When it comes time for final assembly, I would assume (hope) there's only a single WAV trigger board involved? Based on the videos I only see 1 though I don't know if that came out of the wand where you had it originally. Either way, I've seen a lot of people looking to replace their stock hose and wire loom between the pack and the wand and there's no doubt more conductors will be needed. Any thoughts on whether the final setup will allow for the WAV board to stay in the pack while the wand just uses a pair of wires for TX/RX (serial?) to trigger the audio events?
There are 2 wav trigger boards. The pack one which you see on the desk and there is a second one in the wand which you do not see in the video. The wand and pack have independent audio from each other and independent operation from each other, but I am synching events via the tx/rx communication, so the wand and pack know what each are doing and can tell the other to do something, stop doing something or if it can do something or not, etc…

If I used one wav trigger board, then a audio cable would need to be fed to the wand speaker from the pack, and then you would have the pack sounds in the wand and all the wand sounds in the pack. Using 2 boards, you have one less cable having to be fed through the wand hose and independent sound from each other. So I can tell the pack to play the proton firing stream sounds and the wand also. But then I can tell the pack not to play wand beeps, wand idle hum and other wand sounds, etc which I only want to come from the wand speaker only.
Yanks1023 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:14 am What’s the wav trigger board in the wand? Still the Ada fruit metro mini? I’m still getting my bill of materials procured.
So the setup I am using for developing:

Arduino Mega with a protoshield for the pack
Arduino Nano for the wand

You can use cheaper clone versions if you want. I'm using a Elegoo nano in the wand for this instance since they come without headers. If you can find a Mega or Mega clone without headers, I would get that instead as the Nano and Mega from Arduino come with headers on the boards.

2 wav triggers from Robertsonics. One for the wand and one for the pack. Sparkfun.com produces them but you can get them from other electronic vendors. The wav triggers I got had firmware 1.28 on it, and I had to update them to 1.34 to get some extra features I wanted. I used a FTDI basic Breakout 5V from sparkfun to connect my computer to the wav trigger to update the firmware with some male/female header cables.

I still haven't finalised all my stuff yet as I am still working on it.
Yanks1023 liked this
Started implementing the video game firing modes and heatup/heatdown on the barrel tip when you switch modes.
Proton, Slime, Ice, Stasis. Also tweaked up the settings control. I filled up my SDcards with all the music from GB1, GB2 and Afterlife.

Next I will start working on the venting/overheating feature when the wand is on full power.

After that, I would like to add support for LED's for inside the cyclotron and on the cyclotron switch panel which can be optionally used or not.

Tweak the vibration motor settings for both the wand and pack, then work out any bugs and kinks that are in the code.
gpstar wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:22 am
Yanks1023 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 7:14 am What’s the wav trigger board in the wand? Still the Ada fruit metro mini? I’m still getting my bill of materials procured.

You can use cheaper clone versions if you want. I'm using a Elegoo nano in the wand for this instance since they come without headers. If you can find a Mega or Mega clone without headers, I would get that instead as the Nano and Mega from Arduino come with headers on the boards.

2 wav triggers from Robertsonics. One for the wand and one for the pack. Sparkfun.com produces them but you can get them from other electronic vendors. The wav triggers I got had firmware 1.28 on it, and I had to update them to 1.34 to get some extra features I wanted. I used a FTDI basic Breakout 5V from sparkfun to connect my computer to the wav trigger to update the firmware with some male/female header cables.

Okay, Ill wait for your finalized bom as I want to replicate your setup exactly. Ideally, Id like to plug and play all the parts via a schematic, upload your code and be done. Hoping this can be done easily. Obviously I dont think you can fit that big red wav trigger board inside the wand, so is there a smaller one you got for the wand? Sorry to add to the madness youre probably getting from all of us fans, but youre amazing and will be eternally greatfull!
Yanks1023 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 8:42 am

Okay, Ill wait for your finalized bom as I want to replicate your setup exactly. Ideally, Id like to plug and play all the parts via a schematic, upload your code and be done. Hoping this can be done easily. Obviously I dont think you can fit that big red wav trigger board inside the wand, so is there a smaller one you got for the wand? Sorry to add to the madness youre probably getting from all of us fans, but youre amazing and will be eternally greatfull!
It fits.

I ended up using a soldering iron and removed some of the plastic in the wand (you do not need to do this). I was able to clear the wav trigger under the barrel when all the original extra plastic is there. (just barely), but I removed it anyway as it made exploring around inside the wand easier, with it removed there is a lot more space to play with.

This is with everything soldered, I just need to zip tie up and clean up the wires, which I will do when I finish coding and close things up.

Also, With this info I assume this is how you updated firmware on the WT?
gpstar wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:22 am
Yanks1023 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 8:42 am

It fits.

I ended up using a soldering iron and removed some of the plastic in the wand (you do not need to do this). I was able to clear the wav trigger under the barrel when all the original extra plastic is there. (just barely), but I removed it anyway as it made exploring around inside the wand easier, with it removed there is a lot more space to play with.

This is with everything soldered, I just need to zip tie up and clean up the wires, which I will do when I finish coding and close things up.
Wow! From the pics, it didnt look like it would all fit in there along with nano, and protoboard. Incredible!
Yanks1023 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:33 am

Also, With this info I assume this is how you updated firmware on the WT?
Yes I have one and that is what I used.

If you buy one now, it may come with latest version, depends on how old the stock is. The only way to know is doing a version check over the tx/rx connection. Technically things will still work on older versions of the firmware, there was 1 feature I used in the latest which can detect if a certain track is playing. I use this for the music control only, when a music track ends and the song is not set to loop, it will play the next track. You could just comment out that part of my code and use the old version of the firmware, then a song ends and the next track will not auto play.
Yanks1023 liked this
Yanks1023 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 12:22 pm Great stuff here. Although I noticed youre only using 5vin, gnd, tx, and rx and the speaker connections on the wand WT. It gets powered by 5vin? Or are you running 12v to it somewhere?
The wand is being fed 5 from the same power source as the pack, which is 5v from the talentcell.

So the wand is getting 5v, gnd, tx/rx. 4 wires only.
Yanks1023 liked this
-Added overheating but only when the wand is on power level 5 (all 5 leds on the bargraph are lit up). When on 4 or lower, you can fire continuous forever. When on #5, it will overheat.

I am not sure what I am going to use for smoke. Maybe Kangertech T2's... hmmm I will think about it later.

Next:
-Support for LED's for inside the cyclotron and on the cyclotron switch panel which can be optionally used or not.
-Tweak the vibration motor settings for both the wand and pack,
-Figure out what to use for smoke. Thinking Kangertech T2's with a vacuum motor. Or anybody else have preferences?
-Work out any bugs and kinks that are in the code. I came across a few little ones that need to be fixed.
Yanks1023, Corey91, Peeno liked this
The feature set that you've come up with is just amazing gpstar. I'm so excited to see the full parts list and wiring diagram. Since I blew my pack audio, I'm now all in on a full electronics solution.

For the hose connections, have you guys looked at aviation connectors? There are a ton of them on Amazon with a wide array of pin counts. That's what I plan on using since I'll be using my own hose.
Yanks1023 liked this
dankramer1138 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:24 am The feature set that you've come up with is just amazing gpstar. I'm so excited to see the full parts list and wiring diagram. Since I blew my pack audio, I'm now all in on a full electronics solution.

For the hose connections, have you guys looked at aviation connectors? There are a ton of them on Amazon with a wide array of pin counts. That's what I plan on using since I'll be using my own hose.
What did you do to your pack audio?

For the wand connectors, I do not know yet what I am going to do. There are a few options I may try, such as: using and modifying a neutrik connector, using the left over extra wand battery screw cap from the wand or 3D print something….
Ecto_1X wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:53 pm There's no way I can ever achieve what you're doing out there man! Any chance will you be providing a Custom Wand service? I'll certainly be interested since I know nothing about electronics.

Possibly if you do not feel comfortable soldering, but I live in Europe so it would only make economical sense for people over here with shipping.
After all the horror stories I’m not gonna other trying to do the battery/speaker mod and just wait for the the ultimate mod to be finished

For the hose are you thinking a completely new hose or modifying the existing one?

I hate the hose they used it’s so still it needs to go for sure and swapped with a proper one
Yanks1023 liked this
I detailed it in post #4978118, but the short version is I seem to have fried the audio parts of my Hasbro board when I connected the amp to the 12v. I only get a static noise that is in sync with the batter lights, but I have to put my ear to the speaker to hear it. So somehow the magic smoke was released from the audio portion. The lights are working normally.
I knew the risks in mucking with the board, so now I'm ready to go next level with your full original solution.

I have a hose I'm going to use which is much more flexible and has cool texture to it. I plan to use some nice beefy aviation connectors that have plenty of pins and screw down to be super secure.

I want to add smoke to my pack as well. Experienced smoke kit users will be well appreciated. I intend to add another button to the wand that will activate the smoke in the pack rather than tie it to the overheat sequence. Some convention locations don't allow smoke at all as their smoke alarms are super sensitive.

gpstar wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:34 am
dankramer1138 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:24 am The feature set that you've come up with is just amazing gpstar. I'm so excited to see the full parts list and wiring diagram. Since I blew my pack audio, I'm now all in on a full electronics solution.

For the wand connectors, I do not know yet what I am going to do. There are a few options I may try, such as: using and modifying a neutrik connector, using the left over extra wand battery screw cap from the wand or 3D print something….
Yanks1023 liked this
dankramer1138 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:17 am I detailed it in post #4978118, but the short version is I seem to have fried the audio parts of my Hasbro board when I connected the amp to the 12v. I only get a static noise that is in sync with the batter lights, but I have to put my ear to the speaker to hear it. So somehow the magic smoke was released from the audio portion. The lights are working normally.
I knew the risks in mucking with the board, so now I'm ready to go next level with your full original solution.

I have a hose I'm going to use which is much more flexible and has cool texture to it. I plan to use some nice beefy aviation connectors that have plenty of pins and screw down to be super secure.

I want to add smoke to my pack as well. Experienced smoke kit users will be well appreciated. I intend to add another button to the wand that will activate the smoke in the pack rather than tie it to the overheat sequence. Some convention locations don't allow smoke at all as their smoke alarms are super sensitive.

hmm I will add a toggle switch on the pack (perhaps inside the cyclotron) to enable/disable the smoke.
dankramer1138 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:17 am I detailed it in post #4978118, but the short version is I seem to have fried the audio parts of my Hasbro board when I connected the amp to the 12v. I only get a static noise that is in sync with the batter lights, but I have to put my ear to the speaker to hear it. So somehow the magic smoke was released from the audio portion. The lights are working normally.

Im in the same boat as dankramer1138. I get hardly any audio out of the pack since the amp install. Sounded great until I plugged in the talentcells. So Im ready to go next level as well. Rip it all out and use Gpstar's solution.
Catching up on a lot of good content here, though still curious about some behavior of the WT boards and potentially slimming down the BOM to not have 2 of these rather expensive boards in the setup. I see there's only a single stereo output (with left/right channels) hence why you're limited to whatever is playing is always going to be THE output from the board. In looking through the user guide I think the answer is likely "no", but would there be a way to tell a track to play only on one channel (ie. via pan control for L/R balance)?

Alternatively, what if the audio files for the pack and wand be mixed so that the pack is on the left channel and wand is the right, and send the audio to the respective speakers or amplifier? And if you want a sound to come from both devices you leave it as a standard stereo mix? That way you could still have polyphonic sound and reduce the amount of TX/RX commands to tell each side to start/stop sounds--you just have a single source of truth for audio. It might also lead to some interesting tricks like an audio file that pans back and forth between L and R, sounding like it alternates between the pack and the wand.
Proton Props UK

A handful? Really? Good luck with your wait, I ho[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]