Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
So anyone wanna take odds on this thing actually making the scheduled release date?

I’d say 70/30. 70% chances she moves and 30% chance it makes it.

If she moves I’m guessing either Presidents Day weekend or first/2nd weekend of March.

Which is a shame. Christmas time is just what this franchise needs for a keep in the pants box office wise.
I'm not making bets but i'm going to say there's a high chance we see it this year. I'm going to say 60/30. 60 % that we get to see it. I think we'll get something confirming progress on Ghostbusters day, and maybe a teaser for the new shows coming out. Hopefully.
We all speculate what's to come on Ghostbusters day and sometimes get jack and damnit. If we don't get any marketing before October then it's probobly going to get pushed. I really wish Sony would have shot for a Halloween release date giving people an excuse to pay for an extra seat just for their Hasbro packs. Lol.
It's likely that with Afterlife having been pushed back so often, that there was extra time to focus on "Hell's Kitchen/Fire House". Maybe we don't know it publicly, but consider pre production could be way farther along than we know.

I feel this one has a great chance of meeting it's target release date.
deadderek wrote:It's likely that with Afterlife having been pushed back so often, that there was extra time to focus on "Hell's Kitchen/Fire House". Maybe we don't know it publicly, but consider pre production could be way farther along than we know.

I agree. Ghostbusters II was filmed between November 1988 and March 1989, and released in June 1989. So that's 5 months of filming, and then 2 months of editing. If a similar schedule is adhered to for Firehouse, the Christmas 2023 release window remains realistic.

We'll have a much better sense of things come Ghostbusters Day. I'd be willing to bet that is when we will get a teaser trailer and a bit of plot information. We'll probably see our first trailer in October sometime.
timeware wrote: February 27th, 2023, 5:32 pm Here's hoping that advertisers will have the confidence to invest in Ghostbusters this time around. I'd love to see twinkies get back on board. And of course, some better fast food tie ins.
Twinkies WERE back on board if you recall. The only thing that made it to the shelves was the GB themed display itself.

There was even a fun website were you could turn yourself into Muncher!
JonXCTrack wrote: February 27th, 2023, 8:38 am
deadderek wrote:It's likely that with Afterlife having been pushed back so often, that there was extra time to focus on "Hell's Kitchen/Fire House". Maybe we don't know it publicly, but consider pre production could be way farther along than we know.

I agree. Ghostbusters II was filmed between November 1988 and March 1989, and released in June 1989. So that's 5 months of filming, and then 2 months of editing. If a similar schedule is adhered to for Firehouse, the Christmas 2023 release window remains realistic.

We'll have a much better sense of things come Ghostbusters Day. I'd be willing to bet that is when we will get a teaser trailer and a bit of plot information. We'll probably see our first trailer in October sometime.
Ghostbusters 2 was a miracle(and some would argue it wasn’t. Most of the problems that movie has is due to them running out of time to fix em). Ghostbusters 1 was a also a miracle. Those two movies are freaks of nature. I cannot stress enough how rare this is and how unheard of it is for movies these days, with major visual effects, to have this short of schedule. The last movie this happened to at this scale that I can think of? War of the Worlds(2005).

It’s important to remember that Ivan Reitman at the time(and Spielberg everytime) were working at the pinnacle of their field. The crews weren’t just any crews, they were the best of the best of the best. I’m sure Gil Kenan is a fine director in his own right and it certainly is possible for a movie to be made in that amount time. But you are potentially hurting the movie with compromise after compromise.

I’ll say this. If the movie is bad and all the cast and crew end up giving retrospective interviews years from now on some sort of “Oral History of Ghostbusters 4” guess what they will point to as the problem? Time. I guarantee you’ll hear the familiar “we had to hit a release date. We just didn’t have enough time”. It’s an old and very true song.

Like I said those first 2 Ghostbusters movies are insane freaks of nature and are exceptions. They should not be used as benchmarks to say “they could do it, so can we”. That how you end up with Transformers 2 & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 The Secret of the Ooze.
You've also got to remember how much easier it is (from a technical pov) to make a movie these days, including the visual effects. Powerful tools are now able to be utilised by regular people at home and small studios. That's not to say its in any way easy.... just easier. And much faster too with cloud based render farms. I don't think it is unheard of for this short notice for the visual effects, not these days. Many of the assets will be in development in parallel to filming its not like the vfx workshops are sat twiddling thumbs until principal photography finishes.

Check out this mini trailer for a potential Halo series by Corridor Digital. This is NOT a Hollywood studio, this is not Amazon Prime with a graphics department of hundreds, this is just the number of people you can count on one hand working in their own time.

deadderek, gamera1968 liked this
I’ll say this. If the movie is bad and all the cast and crew end up giving retrospective interviews years from now on some sort of “Oral History of Ghostbusters 4” guess what they will point to as the problem? Time. I guarantee you’ll hear the familiar “we had to hit a release date. We just didn’t have enough time”. It’s an old and very true song.

Or they could be like Disney and just blame the fans. That seems to be the norm these days.
If I recall correctly, Jason and Gil came up (and developed) the idea for Firehouse during the principal production of Afterlife.
Those two years of delay gave them the time to polish Afterlife but also to focus on Firehouse.

For what we know they could have everything figured out down to the minimal detail at the start of preproduction.
deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote:If I recall correctly, Jason and Gil came up (and developed) the idea for Firehouse during the principal production of Afterlife.
In the THR article that came out right after GB day, Kenan was quoted saying, "We’re writing as quickly as we can. We had the story before we finished Afterlife. And we have been crafting this with as much care as it took to build Afterlife into a worthy sequel."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235160864/
My excitement is through the roof!

This just came out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpNYth8u9sM/
robbritton, Davideverona, Sav C and 6 others liked this
timeware wrote: February 28th, 2023, 3:46 am

Or they could be like Disney and just blame the fans. That seems to be the norm these days.
Disney blamed fans for a movie being bad? When? I don’t think they did. I’m calling BS on that. The only thing I could see you confusing Disney blaming fans for is when they are racist assholes. In which case, they need to be called out. Some fans have this weird idea that companies shouldn’t call out bad behaviour of fans. I don’t understand that. Racism/sexism needs to be called out always. Always.
No studio is blaming fans for movies being bad. That’s the sort of talking points those racist/sexist asshats like “Geeks & Gamers” or “Nerdrotic” or “Critical Drinker” give. If anyone needs to retire the word “Woke” is those guys.

On a separate note It’s interesting that production is suppose to start soon & yet we have so few casting announcements. I’m tryinf to remember…when was Paul Rudd announced back in the last movie? Was it prior to production? Most of the non original cast was announced before filming started, no?

I don’t know if anyone has brought this up but this might be an interesting coincidence or not. The lastest Indiana Jones film has a major, major set piece set in New York City. And like this new Ghostbusters movie they didn’t film a frame in NYC. It was all done in Scotland if I recall. Glasgow. Makes me wonder if there’s some permanent sets that GB4 is going to make use of.

The cynic in me makes me think this is purely a tax rebate thing. Gil is part British and so with a British director at the helm could qualify for tax rebates if they meet certain quotas. The last movie just so happened to film in a country with a similar tax rebate system and it was also filmed in the home country of the director. Coincidence? Hmm. I just can’t see the storyline having anything taking place in the UK. Which means it’s a $$ thing.

I wonder if this movie got a budget increase, if so how much? They no longer have the large task of bringing Harold back to life & that couldn’t have been cheap.
Just recently Peter Docter said they asked to much of the audiance when it came to Buzz Lightyear.
'We’ve done a lot of soul-searching about that because we all love the movie. We love the characters and the premise. I think probably what we’ve ended on in terms of what went wrong is that we asked too much of the audience,' Pixar's Peter Docter
deadderek wrote: February 28th, 2023, 7:29 am This just came out!

Bloody awesome! :)

There's only one part of Fire Station №23's aparatus bay that section of the set could be replicating:

RichardLess wrote: February 28th, 2023, 11:05 am I’m tryinf to remember…when was Paul Rudd announced back in the last movie? Was it prior to production? Most of the non original cast was announced before filming started, no?
Paul announced his involvement with Afterlife on June 27th, 2019.
groschopf, Davideverona, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
timeware wrote: February 28th, 2023, 11:15 am Just recently Peter Docter said they asked to much of the audiance when it came to Buzz Lightyear.
'We’ve done a lot of soul-searching about that because we all love the movie. We love the characters and the premise. I think probably what we’ve ended on in terms of what went wrong is that we asked too much of the audience,' Pixar's Peter Docter
Really? That’s the best example? That’s weak sauce. “We asked too much of the audience”? That’s blaming fans? I think he’s 100% correct. That movie was a HUGE ask. Forget the Buzz Lightyear you know and love, here’s this other one that’s far less interesting and cool.
There is zero wrong with that he said and he certainly didn’t blame fans. He’s putting the blame on them for not realizing where the audience attachment was.

Honestly the biggest mistake of the Buzz movie was not making it like a movie Andy would love. The movie was suppose to be what audiences & kids like Andy saw(in the Toy Story realm) and it’s not at all what the toy is. the movie should’ve been a Space Opera where Buzz is a Space Cop doing his best to hunt down and defeat Zurg. It should’ve been a fun action adventure not unlike the opening of Toy Story 2.
robbritton liked this
It's a continuing trend though. Answer the call Feig blamed the fans, The He-man reboot Smith blamed the fans, Velma they blamed the fans. I thought Lightyear was alright but I don't want to get into the controversies and de-rail the thread.It may be a weak sauce example but it is an example of a company blaming the fans for putting out a product that didn't sell well.

I liked light year just fine but it wasn't toy story. Buzz being Zurg? Sorry if that's a spoiler but it was kind of lazy writing on their part. I'd have been fine with an alien invasion. Netflix has better writers then Disney. They did a better job with My dad the Bounty Hunter then Pixar did with light year.
deadderek liked this
Could we please stick to the topic rather than rehashing the past? It seems a little getting ahead of ourselves to get preoccupied on the hypothetical of Sony blaming the fans for Firehouse underperforming when the film hasn't even been finished yet. :sigh:
mrmichaelt, zeta otaku, deadderek and 4 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 28th, 2023, 1:41 pm There's only one part of Fire Station №23's aparatus bay that section of the set could be replicating:
Eagle eye, man. You marked the area but I keep looking at the Diet Coke. :P

Kingpin wrote: February 28th, 2023, 1:41 pm Paul announced his involvement with Afterlife on June 27th, 2019.
I mean, we should see reports, rumors, sightings at Heathrow Airport, and like now that it's March. It's impressive how much of a lid Sony and Ghost Corps have on this sequel compared to say Disney/Marvel Studios and the MCU who have droves of "insiders" with social media accounts posting spoilers on a near daily basis.
To be fair during Afterlife it was mentioned they were looking to hire folks that were actual fans of the Ghostbusters, not just any crew members. I bet that helps a lot.
I mean, we should see reports, rumors, sightings at Heathrow Airport, and like now that it's March. It's impressive how much of a lid Sony and Ghost Corps have on this sequel compared to say Disney/Marvel Studios and the MCU who have droves of "insiders" with social media accounts posting spoilers on a near daily basis.
You do know that celebrities and politicians, or politicians that are celebrities are too good to fly commercial? I'm sure they're flown in on private jets and whisked away to their magical tinted as hell limousines. Afterlife had things well underwraps for quite some time. We were begging for table scraps for a good long while. Lol.
deadderek wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:03 pm To be fair during Afterlife it was mentioned they were looking to hire folks that were actual fans of the Ghostbusters, not just any crew members. I bet that helps a lot.
Probably quite difficult to find industry folk who AREN'T fans of Ghostbusters ;)
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote: February 28th, 2023, 1:41 pm There's only one part of Fire Station №23's aparatus bay that section of the set could be replicating:
Total aside, but have we ever found out what is behind that door in universe? In my head as a child it was where Egon and Ray look at the Vigo photos, but that's surely upstairs now I think of it. So many nooks and crannies the new film could explore!
robbritton wrote:Total aside, but have we ever found out what is behind that door in universe? In my head as a child it was where Egon and Ray look at the Vigo photos, but that's surely upstairs now I think of it. So many nooks and crannies the new film could explore!
Is it the alley exit they use in Spirits Unleashed and even before that on RGB a few times like Revenge of the Ghostmater and The Slob and a lot in EGB? EDIT: No, wait. That one I'm thinking of is a bit further in like where the lockers are?
robbritton liked this
The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]