Please post up details about your transactions. Please put the name of the seller or buyer in the topic title! Only CIVIL feedback and discussions will be allowed.
Forum rules: Please provide clear and accurate feedback for a seller. Search for forum to make sure there isn't already a topic about a seller, if there is post in that thread. When posting please be careful as you will not be able to edit your post later.
By kernuyckdave
#4987696
Hello all you lovely thread dwellers! the infamous Dave here (although I prefer David!)

Goodness, what a read that was! Please accept my apologies if anyone comes here expecting me to post much on this thread, I tend not to because its somewhat deflating to read some of these scorning posts... to which I could indeed argue with most but I'm already struggling to keep up with other correspondence (as we all well know it seems!) so I won't waste my time here. I'll break this down into sections though, please see which ever that applies to you and I hope it gives some insight.

First of all - I'd like to 100% refute any claims from that assclown "venkman1984" (or anyone else for that matter) that im shutting up shop, have been cut off from suppliers or that im selling off any rare and vintage parts I have. This guy has hounded and harassed me on my social media before. What once started out as him being nice to me on instagram about some super straps whilst simultaneously shitposting about me on this thread, It didn't take a genius to work out it was him. To which he then lied about it, but once I caught him out with the fact that the idiot had the same profile picture on here as he did on his profile he then quickly back footed into being a nasty piece of work. I am NOT closing up, slowing down, stopping or anything of the sort. I have NOT been cut off by any of my suppliers (all of which I have amazing standing with). And as for selling off any rare parts I have - I have some vintage 331 clippards on my website - which have been there for over a year now (go buy one!). and EVERYONE will receive what they've paid for, there is no doubt on this. This guy is trying to cause further upset by being malicious and an all round asshole. Please ignore at your convenience. He will be hearing from my solicitors regarding defamation and slander.

Second of all - delays and wait times. It's no secret that these things can take a while, in fact sometimes much longer than anyone would like them to take. I don't like half finished orders taking up valuable space anymore than you guys. I implore anyone here to have a chat with someone that's made their own pack from scratch and ask how long it took them to make it, most likely from a kit that was purchased from any other vendor. Now, factor in that I manufacture a large amount of parts myself from fibreglass, resin, Aluminium which all takes a long time, my packs are made to the utmost quality and standard using only the best available parts on the market (from limited vendors that make that one septic thing you cannot buy anywhere else in the world... shocking you can't just go and buy things like Ion arm end caps from the hardware store?! Who'd have thought...) and that there is a very high demand for my work - with only me doing all of it.
Surprisingly enough, it takes time!
Lets not get into issues such as supply chain, having to remake molds due to only having so much usage in them before they blow out, inclement weather, personal health, life in general etc etc...
And, I too like to have some time to actually enjoy my life with my family, hobbies, socialising etc. and In do in fact tend to work pretty hard... considering I've not had a day off in almost 3 months. Please though, do tell me how you guys love to work for a quarter of the year consistently with zero time off? I've also recently been in contact with another builder that's got wait times for things of 5 years +. Not that this makes my situation any better, but something to take into consideration.

Thirdly - communication. I am genuinely, so sorry that it takes time and I can go quiet. It's no secret that my communication from time to time is laboured and im hard to get hold of. Im not about all the time to coddle people that their order is safe on my shelf being tucked in overnight after a busy day working on it. However, I also understand people have spent a lot of money on something that is on a lick and a promise. I too am a fan and have spent large amounts on props and have been in the dark at times with the progress of what I've bought... it can be unnerving and stressful, and I have no intention of causing any upset or stress. Unfortunately, some people on this thread seem to love to cause it for people who are waiting patiently by sensationalising the fact that it takes time to make these beautiful works of art. And funnily enough, the loudest voices are the ones that haven't ever bought from me. Also I see people on here that are very nice to me when they talk to me yet shit sling here. I see you.
I try to focus my efforts into creating wonderful props instead of answering the same question from multiple people every day, some specific individuals who message me every other day asking for an update. Im not being rude - id just rather finish your order so you get it quicker than chat about the weather.

I shall summarise with this though - I am not closing up. I am extremely busy (as always) providing some of the best parts and the very best commissions that have ever been available to the community. Im still very clearly about, I've not done a bunk or vanished with anyones money and will 110% not be doing that. My socials are still about and active, and my website is thriving. Please, be patient - which I know is a lot when some have displayed endless amounts already. Im an honest guy just doing what I love and want to continue to do so for a long time serving our fantastic community.

Also, please be mindful of the things you write, it can have a huge impact on a small independent business working at an already very niche market that's just doing what they love. Your words can bury people in more ways than one. Thank you all, and please if you want to talk to me get me on Facebook or Instagram or via my website.
StarkMarkV, kestrel452, Astomp82 and 6 others liked this
By kestrel452
#4987701
StarkMarkV wrote: November 8th, 2023, 10:33 am
....

He stated that he is not closing up shop at all. He's been hard at work on my pack and a few others. He did mention his lack of communication, not really asking for pity or forgiveness but just mentioning that he knows they suck.
Which of course is the response that one would expect.

This is why I try to keep my forum posts level-headed. Complaining about long waits and no communication is one thing, but riling people up by spreading unsubstantiated rumors that they actually won't get their stuff is quite another.
User avatar
By StarkMarkV
#4987702
kernuyckdave wrote:Hello all you lovely thread dwellers! the infamous Dave here (although I prefer David!)

Goodness, what a read that was! Please accept my apologies if anyone comes here expecting me to post much on this thread, I tend not to because its somewhat deflating to read some of these scorning posts... to which I could indeed argue with most but I'm already struggling to keep up with other correspondence (as we all well know it seems!) so I won't waste my time here. I'll break this down into sections though, please see which ever that applies to you and I hope it gives some insight.

First of all - I'd like to 100% refute any claims from that assclown "venkman1984" (or anyone else for that matter) that im shutting up shop, have been cut off from suppliers or that im selling off any rare and vintage parts I have. This guy has hounded and harassed me on my social media before. What once started out as him being nice to me on instagram about some super straps whilst simultaneously shitposting about me on this thread, It didn't take a genius to work out it was him. To which he then lied about it, but once I caught him out with the fact that the idiot had the same profile picture on here as he did on his profile he then quickly back footed into being a nasty piece of work. I am NOT closing up, slowing down, stopping or anything of the sort. I have NOT been cut off by any of my suppliers (all of which I have amazing standing with). And as for selling off any rare parts I have - I have some vintage 331 clippards on my website - which have been there for over a year now (go buy one!). and EVERYONE will receive what they've paid for, there is no doubt on this. This guy is trying to cause further upset by being malicious and an all round asshole. Please ignore at your convenience. He will be hearing from my solicitors regarding defamation and slander.

Second of all - delays and wait times. It's no secret that these things can take a while, in fact sometimes much longer than anyone would like them to take. I don't like half finished orders taking up valuable space anymore than you guys. I implore anyone here to have a chat with someone that's made their own pack from scratch and ask how long it took them to make it, most likely from a kit that was purchased from any other vendor. Now, factor in that I manufacture a large amount of parts myself from fibreglass, resin, Aluminium which all takes a long time, my packs are made to the utmost quality and standard using only the best available parts on the market (from limited vendors that make that one septic thing you cannot buy anywhere else in the world... shocking you can't just go and buy things like Ion arm end caps from the hardware store?! Who'd have thought...) and that there is a very high demand for my work - with only me doing all of it.
Surprisingly enough, it takes time!
Lets not get into issues such as supply chain, having to remake molds due to only having so much usage in them before they blow out, inclement weather, personal health, life in general etc etc...
And, I too like to have some time to actually enjoy my life with my family, hobbies, socialising etc. and In do in fact tend to work pretty hard... considering I've not had a day off in almost 3 months. Please though, do tell me how you guys love to work for a quarter of the year consistently with zero time off? I've also recently been in contact with another builder that's got wait times for things of 5 years +. Not that this makes my situation any better, but something to take into consideration.

Thirdly - communication. I am genuinely, so sorry that it takes time and I can go quiet. It's no secret that my communication from time to time is laboured and im hard to get hold of. Im not about all the time to coddle people that their order is safe on my shelf being tucked in overnight after a busy day working on it. However, I also understand people have spent a lot of money on something that is on a lick and a promise. I too am a fan and have spent large amounts on props and have been in the dark at times with the progress of what I've bought... it can be unnerving and stressful, and I have no intention of causing any upset or stress. Unfortunately, some people on this thread seem to love to cause it for people who are waiting patiently by sensationalising the fact that it takes time to make these beautiful works of art. And funnily enough, the loudest voices are the ones that haven't ever bought from me. Also I see people on here that are very nice to me when they talk to me yet shit sling here. I see you.
I try to focus my efforts into creating wonderful props instead of answering the same question from multiple people every day, some specific individuals who message me every other day asking for an update. Im not being rude - id just rather finish your order so you get it quicker than chat about the weather.

I shall summarise with this though - I am not closing up. I am extremely busy (as always) providing some of the best parts and the very best commissions that have ever been available to the community. Im still very clearly about, I've not done a bunk or vanished with anyones money and will 110% not be doing that. My socials are still about and active, and my website is thriving. Please, be patient - which I know is a lot when some have displayed endless amounts already. Im an honest guy just doing what I love and want to continue to do so for a long time serving our fantastic community.

Also, please be mindful of the things you write, it can have a huge impact on a small independent business working at an already very niche market that's just doing what they love. Your words can bury people in more ways than one. Thank you all, and please if you want to talk to me get me on Facebook or Instagram or via my website.
I think I just heard a mic drop... 👏
User avatar
By Venkman1984
#4987712
kestrel452 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 9:02 am
Venkman1984 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 8:39 am I have not ordered anything from Dave nor would I ever but I have multiple friends who have and only 1 received what they ordered that was September of 2022 only after Dave was told legal action was going to be taken. I will say this I've received information from multiple prop builders that Dave is selling off the rare parts he has, his supplier has cut him off and that hes in big trouble. I think TobyCJ is one of the most loyal friends you can ask for I think him sticking up for his friend is very admirable. I even like the guy I chat with him occasionally on Instagram. But the fact Dave hasn't come out to do some serious damage control is utterly insane.

If i could leave anyone with anything its this. You are 100% not getting your packs. Do whatever it is you have to to get your money back. I guarantee you will never see the prop you ordered.
Your post is pretty alarmist and alleges some serious claims about Proton Props. Some of which could be considered slanderous. Would you mind corroborating all that, or at least explain in detail how you and your sources came to know that Dave is essentially in shutdown mode? Not trying to be rude, but telling everyone that a business is failing rapidly and no one is going to get what they paid for based on "information" you have "received from prop builders" doesn't really help with the chaos. Not that I personally don't appreciate what other prop builders and insiders that do business-to-business dealings with Dave have to say, but if we're going to tell everyone that they're not going to get their $3,500 movie props and never to do business with Proton Props again....I think a lot more explanation is in order. Simply trying to remain unbiased and level-headed, here.

Im not trying in anyway to be an alarmist and I would never mention other props builders without permission. I've been a member of this community for about 15 years and I personally have seen people like him do this to other buyers. Its a long con. He doesn't answer his emails and has had your money and the money of people with no product for over 2 years. The fact that he still recites the same lame response about him being bad at responding is ridiculous. And then people act like hes such a nice guy because he took the time to respond in 6 months after having thousands of your dollars is nuts. nobody in the world is that busy. And if hes so busy working then lets see photos of the product. I truly hope im wrong I hope all the chatter is wrong. But over 2 years for a commission build is utterly insane.
By kernuyckdave
#4987718
Venkman1984 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 12:48 pm
kestrel452 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 9:02 am

Your post is pretty alarmist and alleges some serious claims about Proton Props. Some of which could be considered slanderous. Would you mind corroborating all that, or at least explain in detail how you and your sources came to know that Dave is essentially in shutdown mode? Not trying to be rude, but telling everyone that a business is failing rapidly and no one is going to get what they paid for based on "information" you have "received from prop builders" doesn't really help with the chaos. Not that I personally don't appreciate what other prop builders and insiders that do business-to-business dealings with Dave have to say, but if we're going to tell everyone that they're not going to get their $3,500 movie props and never to do business with Proton Props again....I think a lot more explanation is in order. Simply trying to remain unbiased and level-headed, here.

Im not trying in anyway to be an alarmist and I would never mention other props builders without permission. I've been a member of this community for about 15 years and I personally have seen people like him do this to other buyers. Its a long con. He doesn't answer his emails and has had your money and the money of people with no product for over 2 years. The fact that he still recites the same lame response about him being bad at responding is ridiculous. And then people act like hes such a nice guy because he took the time to respond in 6 months after having thousands of your dollars is nuts. nobody in the world is that busy. And if hes so busy working then lets see photos of the product. I truly hope im wrong I hope all the chatter is wrong. But over 2 years for a commission build is utterly insane.
"Im not trying in anyway to be an alarmist" you are here to literally stir shit, have nothing to back any of your false claims and you're here to upset people. I have shared pictures with my clients, posted pictures on my social media, had video calls with my clients to see the progress and people have actually visited my workshop to see all the work being done. You claim to be part of this community for 15 years yet no one of any notability in the community has heard of you? You're an idiot. You need to crawl back under your rock pal.
kestrel452, StarkMarkV liked this
By kestrel452
#4987719
Venkman1984 wrote: November 8th, 2023, 12:48 pm
Im not trying in anyway to be an alarmist and I would never mention other props builders without permission. I've been a member of this community for about 15 years and I personally have seen people like him do this to other buyers. Its a long con. He doesn't answer his emails and has had your money and the money of people with no product for over 2 years. The fact that he still recites the same lame response about him being bad at responding is ridiculous. And then people act like hes such a nice guy because he took the time to respond in 6 months after having thousands of your dollars is nuts. nobody in the world is that busy. And if hes so busy working then lets see photos of the product. I truly hope im wrong I hope all the chatter is wrong. But over 2 years for a commission build is utterly insane.

Look, we can all go back and forth on the whole lack of communication issue... But it isn't alarmist to tell a bunch of people that you have unverified information that they got scammed out of the thousands of dollars they paid for a pack!? I think this is a clear case of either needing to provide some corroborating evidence and names of credible individuals who said these things, or simply not spreading rumors that are potentially seriously damaging to someone's professional reputation. It's literally libel if it's not true. Nor does it help the mental state of people reading this thread who are still waiting on their packs (case in point, Mr. StarkMark).

The fact that you can't/won't substantiate your remarks about David seems proof enough that there's no there there to it. One would think that veterans of the Ghostbusters prop building world who steered others clear of someone simply out to rip them off would be rather eager to have others know their identity.

The manifest weight of the situation is that people are ultimately getting their stuff.
User avatar
By cristovalc
#4987766
Hey Dave, I ordered the resin parts kit from you to replace some janky gettin' ones on my current pack (this isn't a "where is it??" question) and was just curious about where you sourced them from. You say you now fabricate much of the resin parts yourself , but were they from a screen used casting or other? Either way they look great from the online pics, cheers!
User avatar
By Venkman1984
#4987776
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
kernuyckdave wrote: November 8th, 2023, 11:27 am Hello all you lovely thread dwellers! the infamous Dave here (although I prefer David!)

Goodness, what a read that was! Please accept my apologies if anyone comes here expecting me to post much on this thread, I tend not to because its somewhat deflating to read some of these scorning posts... to which I could indeed argue with most but I'm already struggling to keep up with other correspondence (as we all well know it seems!) so I won't waste my time here. I'll break this down into sections though, please see which ever that applies to you and I hope it gives some insight.

First of all - I'd like to 100% refute any claims from that assclown "venkman1984" (or anyone else for that matter) that im shutting up shop, have been cut off from suppliers or that im selling off any rare and vintage parts I have. This guy has hounded and harassed me on my social media before. What once started out as him being nice to me on instagram about some super straps whilst simultaneously shitposting about me on this thread, It didn't take a genius to work out it was him. To which he then lied about it, but once I caught him out with the fact that the idiot had the same profile picture on here as he did on his profile he then quickly back footed into being a nasty piece of work. I am NOT closing up, slowing down, stopping or anything of the sort. I have NOT been cut off by any of my suppliers (all of which I have amazing standing with). And as for selling off any rare parts I have - I have some vintage 331 clippards on my website - which have been there for over a year now (go buy one!). and EVERYONE will receive what they've paid for, there is no doubt on this. This guy is trying to cause further upset by being malicious and an all round asshole. Please ignore at your convenience. He will be hearing from my solicitors regarding defamation and slander.

Second of all - delays and wait times. It's no secret that these things can take a while, in fact sometimes much longer than anyone would like them to take. I don't like half finished orders taking up valuable space anymore than you guys. I implore anyone here to have a chat with someone that's made their own pack from scratch and ask how long it took them to make it, most likely from a kit that was purchased from any other vendor. Now, factor in that I manufacture a large amount of parts myself from fibreglass, resin, Aluminium which all takes a long time, my packs are made to the utmost quality and standard using only the best available parts on the market (from limited vendors that make that one septic thing you cannot buy anywhere else in the world... shocking you can't just go and buy things like Ion arm end caps from the hardware store?! Who'd have thought...) and that there is a very high demand for my work - with only me doing all of it.
Surprisingly enough, it takes time!
Lets not get into issues such as supply chain, having to remake molds due to only having so much usage in them before they blow out, inclement weather, personal health, life in general etc etc...
And, I too like to have some time to actually enjoy my life with my family, hobbies, socialising etc. and In do in fact tend to work pretty hard... considering I've not had a day off in almost 3 months. Please though, do tell me how you guys love to work for a quarter of the year consistently with zero time off? I've also recently been in contact with another builder that's got wait times for things of 5 years +. Not that this makes my situation any better, but something to take into consideration.

Thirdly - communication. I am genuinely, so sorry that it takes time and I can go quiet. It's no secret that my communication from time to time is laboured and im hard to get hold of. Im not about all the time to coddle people that their order is safe on my shelf being tucked in overnight after a busy day working on it. However, I also understand people have spent a lot of money on something that is on a lick and a promise. I too am a fan and have spent large amounts on props and have been in the dark at times with the progress of what I've bought... it can be unnerving and stressful, and I have no intention of causing any upset or stress. Unfortunately, some people on this thread seem to love to cause it for people who are waiting patiently by sensationalising the fact that it takes time to make these beautiful works of art. And funnily enough, the loudest voices are the ones that haven't ever bought from me. Also I see people on here that are very nice to me when they talk to me yet shit sling here. I see you.
I try to focus my efforts into creating wonderful props instead of answering the same question from multiple people every day, some specific individuals who message me every other day asking for an update. Im not being rude - id just rather finish your order so you get it quicker than chat about the weather.

I shall summarise with this though - I am not closing up. I am extremely busy (as always) providing some of the best parts and the very best commissions that have ever been available to the community. Im still very clearly about, I've not done a bunk or vanished with anyones money and will 110% not be doing that. My socials are still about and active, and my website is thriving. Please, be patient - which I know is a lot when some have displayed endless amounts already. Im an honest guy just doing what I love and want to continue to do so for a long time serving our fantastic community.

Also, please be mindful of the things you write, it can have a huge impact on a small independent business working at an already very niche market that's just doing what they love. Your words can bury people in more ways than one. Thank you all, and please if you want to talk to me get me on Facebook or Instagram or via my website.


You have some nerve to call me names and question who my friends are and my involvement in this community. First of all unlike you I don't need to hide from reading threads because I haven't STOLEN 10s of thousands of dollars from people with nothing to show for it. I also don't need my friends to come to my aid like you. You literally ignore your customers and let your friends fight your battles for you. Read this entire thread. People here want to take you to small claims court, file complaints with Sony Legal and some have even gotten a refund via paypal and some are still trying. Lets remember I'm not the crook here David, you are. I only jumped in this fight to help a friend last year after you were ignoring him with the same old BS for a year. Now to see all of these people waiting while you post pictures of yourself on vacation with all the money you have stolen while using the same excuse that you aren't very good at returning a simple message? You have had excuse after excuse after excuse for all of the poor fans waiting and following this thread. You are simply a horrible business person and the fact you continue to sell your product knowing very well that people wont see said product for 2-3 years is something I find disgusting. If you want to prove me wrong without the help of your friends go down the list of people in this forum waiting for YEARS on your product and post photos of everyone's work SEPERATLY showing the status with the current date and time. But you wont and you cant. Dont ever question what ive done in this community and who my friends are. They sure know who they are and Im not the one who took all of these peoples money and will never have anything to show for it YOU ARE. But i have to say i dont blame you because if i stole as much money as you have i wouldnt want to read my messages either. You are a clown and a coward. Own what youve done. You bit off more than you can chew KEPT THE MONEY and now these people are suffering for it. MIC DROP
Bobby_J liked this
By shoesdontmatch
#4990588
I have a question , I want you all to think about it and give an honest answer... How long is to long? How long before its ok, before its perfectly reasonable to be really pissed off. Lets say you hired someone to make something for you (could be anything), paid them in full upfront and got an estimated time of 3 to 4 months construction time. Then they disappeared totally dropped off the planet no text, no email, no FB leaving you with nothing to show for it but their word. How long past the estimate do you wait before its perfectly acceptable to be really pissed off. I know delays happen, but how long? 2x 3x 4x, when is it fair to them and yourself, when can they not blame you for being mad because they would be mad too if someone did it to them
By Bobdor
#4990717
shoesdontmatch wrote: January 14th, 2024, 11:43 pm I have a question , I want you all to think about it and give an honest answer... How long is to long? How long before its ok, before its perfectly reasonable to be really pissed off. Lets say you hired someone to make something for you (could be anything), paid them in full upfront and got an estimated time of 3 to 4 months construction time. Then they disappeared totally dropped off the planet no text, no email, no FB leaving you with nothing to show for it but their word. How long past the estimate do you wait before its perfectly acceptable to be really pissed off. I know delays happen, but how long? 2x 3x 4x, when is it fair to them and yourself, when can they not blame you for being mad because they would be mad too if someone did it to them
This is a really good question, and I will say that the answer is a little subjective. I have been part of the prop making community for a decent amount of time, and have been involved in a few custom part runs over the years. I would say custom "artisnal" goods generally come with a little bit of a lead time. Some project runs may not start until 30 people buy in to the project. For example R2D2 aluminum domes might start a run after 50 people buy in because that is when it becomes economically viable for the maker to rent the required tools. Another example could be items that are individually made, like an ESB lightsaber kit may take 2 weeks to assemble and the maker may have 8 orders in front of you. So, you have a bit of a wait ahead of you.

All that being said. This should be part of the maker/buyer contract. If I buy a custom kit and the maker says "please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery". That is fine, it is what I bought into. Even if the maker told me "hey, I am a little behind and I have some orders in front of you, I am going to need an additional 6 weeks", am I going to be happy with that? No, probably not, but I will accept it. I have a new idea of what to expect. The maker could have even said "please allow 8-10 weeks. However, it may take longer, actual arrival time will be provided after 4 weeks", that would be fine. I still have expectation. That is what is important.

What happens here with Proton Props UK is the complete disregard of that expectation. If I had any form of communication that gave me that level of expection, it would go a long way. It really feels like a breach of that social contract. I held up my part, I provided the money upfront for my goods and services, and the other side has not been upheld yet. In my case I have been waiting for a DIY kit for about 7 months, and in that 7 months I have not had any contact with Proton Props. I have tried the website, I tried emailing directly several times, I have tried replying to my sales order, I have tried Facebook, maybe 10 letters with no reply at all.

To answer your question a little more directly, if Proton Props said "will take 8 months", and it took that long, I would be fine with it. It was expected. The problem is I have been waiting almost that long and have not even had a single correspondence returned. Not only do I feel upset because I am currently out 1000 dollars with nothing to show for it, but I also feel disrespected because I put my trust in someone without that courtesy bwing returned.
User avatar
By frankov
#4990718
shoesdontmatch wrote: January 14th, 2024, 11:43 pmI have a question , I want you all to think about it and give an honest answer... How long is to long?
I guess like Bobdor said - it depends on a lot of things, mainly - how long are you willing to wait.

I ordered a pair of Ecto Goggles last March (it was a limited run and got the very last spot - item showed as Out of stock after my order). It was supposed to ship a few months after.

Checked a few times during the year and the order was 'Unfulfilled' (still is), and the Ecto Goggles were still Out of stock. That is - until recently. It seems the item is "back in stock" and expected to ship in January 2024.

I'm not certain if that means some people cancelled their pre-orders and new spots opened OR if they are planning a new run.

My main issue is - why re-open orders if the first batch has not been completed yet.

Since I'm still under a year, I'm waiting to see what happens, specially since we had some update last year (before the thread was locked), but I can't say I'm overly optimistic.

I haven't sent any emails, but in a few months, I'm going to just ask for an update and if there's no replies, I'll just try and get my money back (not sure how easy that's gonna be either...).

So for me - for something that's around 345 USD, too long is roughly a year after the promised delivery date. I may be willing to wait longer, but I'm starting to think the money will be lost forever if I don't get a refund ASAP (specially since we don't see much posts and pics of recently received orders).
shoesdontmatch liked this
By shoesdontmatch
#4990734
I asked the question because when I ordered my pack on Etsy back in 2021 David had it listed as a 14 week build or about 90 to 100 days, I am now at 931 days or 10x the estimate so I just wanted to know if its ok that I'm pissed off because whenever I say anything someone jumps my ass and says I'm just stirring things up and causing trouble and to stop picking on the poor guy and I'm really not, I think I'm well within my rights after waiting this long to be pissed off considering I paid over $3000 upfront and still have nothing to show for it. I still want the pack I have wanted one since I was 7yrs. old but all the joy has really been sucked out of this purchase I bought it for Halloween and the premiere of Afterlife and it looks like I wont even have it for Frozen Empire
User avatar
By cristovalc
#4990771
For me personally I purchased the unbuild proton pack parts minus shell last summer, knowing full well about the long wait times, because A) the quality looks to be there, and B) I have a lot of time. My pack is built, but I at some point want to swap out the “incorrect” sized pieces on my BoK pack. It’s not something I need done right away and it’s either I’ll get them within a year, or maybe 4 years from now I’ll get a surprise package I forgot about and suddenly have a new project to distract myself with. That’s just me though.

I did the research beforehand, and it’s either I wait for pieces from Proton Props, or I wait for pieces from Mack’s Factory which will also take some time. It’s just the unfortunate nature of the beast right now.

You’re allowed to be mad and request a refund no one is denying you that. The lack of communication sucks but make your case here and through the proper avenues (no doubt you have). Being continuously angry ain’t gonna get the pack or refund in your hands any quicker. He hasn’t been blacklisted as seller here, so there is trust that he is delivering product. These dumb niche hobbies take time to build, and it’s either you use that time to put in the work yourself, or know the person you are paying is realistically going to be putting in the same amount of time, but with multiple builds and all while living their dang ol life.

That said should Proton Props be advertising the shorter turnaround times? Oh most definitely no. Should he have better communication or employ someone to handle communication? A million times yes. Is it at all surprising? Nah. Not even the officially licensed folks can keep up with the manufacturing times and such, and this is a war many have been in since the Anovos days. No large sum of money will get you the thing you want quicker in this hobby, unless it’s used or pre-fabricated, and no one outside of Hasbro is offering that right now unfortunately.

To anyone going forward hoping to buy a prefab proton pack, all I can say is never buy for the Halloween/Convention this year, but buy for it at least 3 years from now. I’m sorry some have to learn this the harder way though, like reall truly it sucks.
By Imaculata
#4992092
So, I've ordered from Protonprops UK, because from what I can tell his work not only looks amazing, but it also offers more features than any of the packs out there.

I'm still waiting for my pack. I ordered somewhere in 2022 I think. But considering this is a one man business, and a pack takes months to complete, how many packs can he reasonably be expected to complete in a year?

That is a lot of long work for just one person. Especially given the huge hype surrounding GB fandom with the new movies coming out. He must be flooded with orders. That said, I really wish he would at least provide each customer still waiting for their pack, with an update. If their pack isn't being worked on yet, when is he expecting to start on it?

Cheers!
Last edited by Imaculata on February 10th, 2024, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cybertron
#4992115
Imaculata wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:39 am
I'm still waiting for my pack. I ordered somewhere in 2022 I think. But considering this is a one man business, and a pack takes months to complete, how many packs can he reasonably be expected to complete in a year?
Well that seems like the concern doesn't it ?

If one man decides to take 1000 orders, take the money but can only put out 10 a year then the last person on the list gets his pack in 100 years time.
By Steelspartan112
#4992208
Ok I'm over 3 years now waiting. I've been patient, polite and hopeful that somewhere along this crazy ride I'd get what I ordered. Well that patience is gone since every message( last response was almost a year ago) is some sort of vague response with no evidence of any work being done. When can I expect to hear something , see something or should I expect nothing but crickets from David. :boogieman:
User avatar
By CaptainAssholay
#4992212
I've been trying to cancel my order with him for over a week now and he's not responding to email or Facebook messages. At this point I just want out of this.
User avatar
By Ackbar
#4992243
Steelspartan112 wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:15 pm Ok I'm over 3 years now waiting. I've been patient, polite and hopeful that somewhere along this crazy ride I'd get what I ordered. Well that patience is gone since every message( last response was almost a year ago) is some sort of vague response with no evidence of any work being done. When can I expect to hear something , see something or should I expect nothing but crickets from David. :boogieman:
Hi. Same here 3.5 years now. The last response from him was in July 2023. My pack is ready to ship (it was shipped already but got returned by customs, the reason why is unknown to me) but with all respect and patience I'm in despair now. I already told him, that I will pay the whole shipping costs for a new try with another parcel service... but still no response.
User avatar
By Specter Mitcher
#4992885
CaptainAssholay wrote: February 13th, 2024, 1:08 pm I've been trying to cancel my order with him for over a week now and he's not responding to email or Facebook messages. At this point I just want out of this.
While I am not personally seeking to cancel my order...I actually came here to see if anyone else has heard from him lately. He seems to have gone dark on social media as of November, and hasn't answered messages since then.

My hypothesis is *maybe* that he has put his consumer-side business on the sideline while he works on stuff for Frozen Empire. He made an Instagram post that essentially claimed he got involved with the prop building work for the movie, and then posted a Proton Props logo in the theme of Frozen Empire. Albeit, I have no idea if him getting involved with the FE crew is true, he just seems to be strongly alluding to that fact. But why that would be a secret is beyond me. I'm just going to continue sitting tight for now.
darthbuster liked this
User avatar
By frankov
#4992886
Specter Mitcher wrote: February 27th, 2024, 2:05 pm
CaptainAssholay wrote: February 13th, 2024, 1:08 pm I've been trying to cancel my order with him for over a week now and he's not responding to email or Facebook messages. At this point I just want out of this.
While I am not personally seeking to cancel my order...I actually came here to see if anyone else has heard from him lately. He seems to have gone dark on social media as of November, and hasn't answered messages since then.

My hypothesis is *maybe* that he has put his consumer-side business on the sideline while he works on stuff for Frozen Empire. He made an Instagram post that essentially claimed he got involved with the prop building work for the movie, and then posted a Proton Props logo in the theme of Frozen Empire. Albeit, I have no idea if him getting involved with the FE crew is true, he just seems to be strongly alluding to that fact. But why that would be a secret is beyond me. I'm just going to continue sitting tight for now.
If that's the case, I'm very happy for him, that sounds like the dream to be involved in the actual making of a GB movie (whatever his involvement may be).

I saw David posted something on the Spengler 1984 Work Bench FB page today, showing a Frozen Empire wand, so he is active, but hasn't posted on the Proton Props social sites.

I did contact him, using the form on his website, to initiate a refund for the Ecto Goggles I preordered, but haven't received any answer. I know this isn't comparable to people waiting 3+ years with thousands on the line, but I can't justify waiting any longer and not seeing anyone receiving anything.

It would be different if, from time to time, we saw someone posting pictures of their packs, but so far I only see :
- Comments of people who WANT to buy his props, on social media
- Comments of people not receving anything, on this forum

Often times, I see that there are multiple comments on a post, click 'See all posts' and nothing shows up, which leads me to believe a lot of comments are being deleted. This forum thread as been the only way so far to get any updates.

I'm sure David has the best intentions, but from what I can observe, my chances of receiving the goggles are comparable to my chances getting a refund. My email probably got buried by other people trying to contact him.

I'll try to resend a message in March, and post my progress here.
darthbuster liked this
By Bobdor
#4993313
I can agree with a lot of what is being said in this thread wi th regard to the long lead time on a finished pack. However, I have been waiting for a long time for just a kit. I don't want any finishing work done, just parts in a box... I usually email, and send a message on face book about once a month. I have still not had a single returned message.
User avatar
By CaptainAssholay
#4993445
Yea I figured when I put in the order for the DIY kit it wouldn't take as long as the people who have fully commissioned packs but clearly that isn't the case. The fact he's ignoring requests for a refund is unprofessional and frustrating. He's not out of any money by refunding it. 16 months is too long and honestly there's no more excuses he can make for me at this point that I'd care to hear.
By Imaculata
#4993730
So, are there other proton pack makers of similar quality, that do not make their customers wait for several years? At this point, I'm thinking of looking for a best alternative.
By GreenGoblin
#4993744
I'm just now reading this thread and sorry to hear people have been having issues. I remember trying to contact him about a pack a long time ago and never heard a reply. Just last week I had sent a question about a valve since he says he has vintage clippards on his site which probably hasnt been updated in a long time. I never received a reply. So no way I'm dealing with him.

This all reminds me of years ago when people on a different forum paid to have white power ranger movie helmets made buy the guy who said was the original caster of them. He played people for a long time after taking their money then vanished. I don't think anyone got their helmet. He probably waited until the stature of limitations ran out before going silent.

There was a guy on youtube making really good protons packs and even selling on Etsy. Guy just vanished. A lot lost money. Etsy if within the time frame at least refunded then banned him from the site. I was one who thankfully got my money back.

The guy that made the Airwolf helmet replicas did the same thing recently. Just vanished. One guy actually had received his helmet, but wanted it re-sized so he sent it back. Never saw it or heard from the guy again.

It's sad there are people out there that claim they aren't scammers, but can't even communicate or just simply play the game.
It should never take that long to make something. I get some just get busy and do follow through, but I could never take someone's money to make something and take 3-4 years.
darthbuster liked this
User avatar
By CaptainAssholay
#4993948
I tried catching him on Facebook this evening after he posted a few threads on the Ghostbuster prop builder groups showing off the '24 pack and talking about a raffle. Since it was a recent post I tagged him in one of them asking him to check his messages as I've been trying to get a hold of him. I checked back about an hour later to find the entire post he made had been deleted.

I didn't specifically call out my issue, just asked him to please look at the messages I sent him. Instead he reposts it to other groups with the comments turned off.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt assuming people complaining previously were being impatient not realizing the time it takes to create a custom made product and became rude and unreasonable which was why he wouldn't respond to them.

Well I've given him substantial time, I have been nothing except professional in my attempts to contact him and I'm so far removed from when I purchased his kit, my life situation has changed and I don't even have the capacity to build it anymore. Now that I'm asking for a refund for a PARTS kit, he still ignores me.

I hate having to post this, I just wanted a pack. He seemingly can't deliver and now I'm assuming I'm just out $846 because I'm about 16 months from my purchase, which is too long to get the credit card company involved, and I can't get him to acknowledge me through any avenue.
User avatar
By Ackbar
#4993958
Well I tried to write him via PM at Instagram just to notice that I'm not able to send a message because it's blocked and I don't write him too often...at least I thought so (about once in 6 weeks). Since my pack was sent and it got returned because of a customs issue I still have a little hope that I didn't waste my money. I really considered sometimes to visit him and fetch it by myself... but with no response that won't work, too :-(
Last edited by Ackbar on March 13th, 2024, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • 1
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
Buying a Flightsuit

I'm off to the surplus store tomorrow. Need a 4[…]

Frozen Empire GB Jumpsuit (Khaki)

Also somewhat related question...I don't see gizmo[…]

The Video Game Lifegard

I can't say I like the VG LG. But it is nice peop[…]

I still have the handout for the day's shows from […]