Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
#4998175
13th Floor wrote: May 29th, 2024, 6:46 pm Since it's a single shot weapon and designed for mobility i suppose it is used to make the jobs go easier?And to reach the ghost first before someone with the pack comes in?
An example:
Team arrives on call,Compact user rushes in,finds ghost and starts shooting at it and moving around.If the ghost moves to another room the compact user can reach it first and can theoretically shoot the ghost while running which is very difficult for the pack user.
Also,since these are more precise shots it lowers the use of the traditional protom stream which is known to cause alot of damage
well, since it can't wrangle... maybe it's function is to stun and/or chase off a ghost? Without more information on it, it's difficult to sus out it's intended purpose. Alternatively, it's possible they're not perfected yet since Lucky was still testing it at the PRC
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
#4998176
gerard55 wrote: May 29th, 2024, 7:20 pm With that in mind sometimes I wonder if the writers forget how the equipment is meant to work. It’s like when you see afterlife for the first time, the ogs arrive, they immediately cross the streams against gozer, your brain goes ‘yay I remember them doing that before’. Then a few mins later you realise that you didn’t and the stream crossing was to trigger an explosion to close the dimensional gate in 84, so using it against gozer directly really made no sense at all besides being a callback that made sense in the original but not in afterlife with how it was executed.
I don't want to rehash this but I guess... it was 4 streams into an open portal then crossed to reverse the polarity. 4 crossed streams were stronger than the power of that portal. That was 3 streams wrangling a god then crossed. It became apparent that Gozer's power trumped three crossed streams so nothing bad happened. Both times in the presence of a god and under it's PKE cloud thing but done differently.

13th Floor wrote: May 29th, 2024, 6:46 pm Since it's a single shot weapon and designed for mobility i suppose it is used to make the jobs go easier?And to reach the ghost first before someone with the pack comes in?
An example:
Team arrives on call,Compact user rushes in,finds ghost and starts shooting at it and moving around.If the ghost moves to another room the compact user can reach it first and can theoretically shoot the ghost while running which is very difficult for the pack user.
Also,since these are more precise shots it lowers the use of the traditional protom stream which is known to cause alot of damage
zeta otaku wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:17 pm well, since it can't wrangle... maybe it's function is to stun and/or chase off a ghost? Without more information on it, it's difficult to sus out it's intended purpose. Alternatively, it's possible they're not perfected yet since Lucky was still testing it at the PRC
Perhaps. The fact that Lucky was using at the PRC means it was still in the testing phase. But then an all hands on deck situation happened so she and Lars just loaded up Ecto-Z with everything working despite it would be in vain. What irked me was not so much the streams failed on Garraka but more Lars's off-hand comment of 'ancient god from another dimension, different atomic composition'. I would liked more insight into Garraka's invulnerability because even without the horns, the stream failed. Whereas the streams wrapped up Gozer.

edit: Yesterday, Luke Whitelock posted a clip featuring different mock ups of the Ghostbusters sign, a SFX rig test for the sign drop, and filming outside the Firehouse for the ending.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7i0jcJCApj/

Today, he posted a clip featuring the white card model of the Firehouse.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7khWfDChE4/
Kingpin liked this
#4998187
Your man in the Adam Savage interview there describes the wrist mounted pack as featuring a taser - I figure it performs a similar function to the PKE taser but with range. Good for smashing possessed objects or incoming projectiles and such while the main throwers deal with the capture. Arguably you could do that fine with the standard thrower, but it's an idea. Something quick and easy to grab and fire in a pinch.
#4998206
Some assorted bits from the Ben Hall interview from Your Geek Fix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1RL8y0WfQk




-Four options were made for the upgraded Proton Pack's new bumper. Ben Hall chose one, sprayed it with hazard yellow paint, and Gil Kenan approved it. (6:21-6:33 "I redid that--the bumper because we had four options and I thought "Well that one looked the best" so I just made it up and sprayed it yellow and stuck it on a pack and Gil loved it."

-The upgraded pack's back padding is made from lagging for insulation. (27:52-27:58 "Lagging insulation. You know, the pipe insulation lagging that you get that goes around copper pipe?")

-The part used for Upgraded thrower's Muzzle Arrestor cost $300 each. (18:36-18:40 "They were quite expensive. They're about $300 each.")

-A flying version of the Drone Trap prop was built but it was not used out of safety concerns. (10:38-10:41 "We actually made a flying one but they wouldn't let us use it.")

-The flying version was flown by the crew but the propeller came off and it crashed. Ben Hall collected the pieces and plans on reassembling it at some point. (11:00-11:06 "We did fly it and the propeller came off and it smashed and I've got a box of bits at some point I'll stick back together."

-The Drone Trap switch was a toggle switch bought from eBay. (19:29-19:37 "That's is just--it's one of those eBay, it's like a missile switch you know, you flip it up and there's a toggle switch underneath." and 20:10-20:20 "You buy the covers and they go over those big sort of 12 volt car toggle switches. It's one of that and then it's just a cover over that so you don't actually switch it on.")

-The Compact Thrower's body is a left hand version of the Particle Thrower. (12:04-12:10 "The body is a left hand version of the proton wand.")

-The parts used to make the Compact Thrower were mostly from a $30 kit bought off of eBay. (16:28-16:54"A kit off eBay with red and white arms, standard because we figured that everything they build, they'd be building it off stuff they could get now so we weren't doing anything fancy so we got those there's standard motors, there's standard arms -- like I said we bought kits and I think they were about a $30 kit for a frame kit.")

-Slimer's trash pile was redone four times before it was approved. (35:10-35:18 "You gotta remember, we made Slimer's rubbish four times before they were happy with it.")
robbritton, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
#4998208
mrmichaelt wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:37 pm
gerard55 wrote: May 29th, 2024, 7:20 pm With that in mind sometimes I wonder if the writers forget how the equipment is meant to work. It’s like when you see afterlife for the first time, the ogs arrive, they immediately cross the streams against gozer, your brain goes ‘yay I remember them doing that before’. Then a few mins later you realise that you didn’t and the stream crossing was to trigger an explosion to close the dimensional gate in 84, so using it against gozer directly really made no sense at all besides being a callback that made sense in the original but not in afterlife with how it was executed.
I don't want to rehash this but I guess... it was 4 streams into an open portal then crossed to reverse the polarity. 4 crossed streams were stronger than the power of that portal. That was 3 streams wrangling a god then crossed. It became apparent that Gozer's power trumped three crossed streams so nothing bad happened. Both times in the presence of a god and under it's PKE cloud thing but done differently.

13th Floor wrote: May 29th, 2024, 6:46 pm Since it's a single shot weapon and designed for mobility i suppose it is used to make the jobs go easier?And to reach the ghost first before someone with the pack comes in?
An example:
Team arrives on call,Compact user rushes in,finds ghost and starts shooting at it and moving around.If the ghost moves to another room the compact user can reach it first and can theoretically shoot the ghost while running which is very difficult for the pack user.
Also,since these are more precise shots it lowers the use of the traditional protom stream which is known to cause alot of damage
zeta otaku wrote: May 29th, 2024, 8:17 pm well, since it can't wrangle... maybe it's function is to stun and/or chase off a ghost? Without more information on it, it's difficult to sus out it's intended purpose. Alternatively, it's possible they're not perfected yet since Lucky was still testing it at the PRC
Perhaps. The fact that Lucky was using at the PRC means it was still in the testing phase. But then an all hands on deck situation happened so she and Lars just loaded up Ecto-Z with everything working despite it would be in vain. What irked me was not so much the streams failed on Garraka but more Lars's off-hand comment of 'ancient god from another dimension, different atomic composition'. I would liked more insight into Garraka's invulnerability because even without the horns, the stream failed. Whereas the streams wrapped up Gozer.

edit: Yesterday, Luke Whitelock posted a clip featuring different mock ups of the Ghostbusters sign, a SFX rig test for the sign drop, and filming outside the Firehouse for the ending.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7i0jcJCApj/

Today, he posted a clip featuring the white card model of the Firehouse.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7khWfDChE4/
Hi there. Not been on here for a while.
Yes our SFX workshop team did the dropping sign , as well as the fast snatch rig to rip off the heavyweight steel fire house doors
robbritton liked this
#4998236
mrmichaelt wrote: May 30th, 2024, 10:48 pm
-The part used for Upgraded thrower's Muzzle Arrestor cost $300 each. (18:36-18:40 "They were quite expensive. They're about $300 each.")

$300 for something that objectively makes the thrower look worse.

At 5:20 he says they made an extra pack that went to special effects that became the Phoebe pack with the rotating cyclotron, yet in the Adam Savage video its clearly a haslab pack and the guy there says it is.
#4998238
gerard55 wrote: June 1st, 2024, 3:13 pm At 5:20 he says they made an extra pack that went to special effects that became the Phoebe pack with the rotating cyclotron, yet in the Adam Savage video its clearly a haslab pack and the guy there says it is.
They still assembled the moving/sparking elements, even if they were reusing the shell of a HasLab Pack. It's not much different than the toy Traps they used for the Trap Field in Afterlife, or the production teams of Star Treks The Original Series and The Next Generation using commercially-available model kits to build extra/damaged/destroyed starships.
deadderek liked this
#4998270
Demon Vice Commander wrote: May 27th, 2024, 4:46 pmProp and costume continuity appears to have been pretty lax on this film, and I'm guessing Gil was either unaware or too intimidated to give an OG notes on how to wield the thrower.
Just because it looks weird doesn't mean it's wrong. Is holding the neutrona wand really a fixed technique? I would have assumed it was determined by the individual user (within reason).
#4998271
tylergfoster wrote: June 3rd, 2024, 2:14 pm
Demon Vice Commander wrote: May 27th, 2024, 4:46 pmProp and costume continuity appears to have been pretty lax on this film, and I'm guessing Gil was either unaware or too intimidated to give an OG notes on how to wield the thrower.
Just because it looks weird doesn't mean it's wrong. Is holding the neutrona wand really a fixed technique? I would have assumed it was determined by the individual user (within reason).
Well look at how Dan holds it in the other movies, then this movie he suddenly holds it left handed and extremely awkwardly to say the least.
deadderek liked this
#4998308
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 4th, 2024, 1:01 pm Might scrape $201 million
Probably still a financial loss, at least theatrically given that the theatres take their cut of the takings. Then again if you google 'Hollywood accounting' and see some of the examples there. One example is lucasfilm claiming Return of the Jedi never went into profit despite taking $475 million at the box office and costing $32.5 million to make.
deadderek liked this
#4998309
Maybe, but my expectations for a sequel have gone from ten to thirty percent now. That isn't including the totals of Merchandise and streaming yet. While I'm pulling these numbers out of my ass if that's a combined fifty million range (i'm being realistic) I think we'll be golden for an afterlife trilogy.
#4998327
alot of the talk from the cast about sequels has been
"let's see how Frozen Empire does first"
So that isn't a good sign.Right now,i guess it depends how much pull Jason/Gil and Ghost Corps has to convince Sony to finish the trilogy.They can say "hey we crossed 200 before merchandise and home sales give us 75 million to finish the trilogy,we take your notes on what to change for the third movie"
#4998330
I’d put money on there being a third ‘Afterlife’ movie, but I think it will be cheap and the emphasis will be on relaunching the franchise with the young cast and plenty of studio notes. Ghostbusters: Next Generation vibe.

The OG’s being all over the marketing did not pull a crowd so they can safely cut costs there. Just keep Dan and maybe Ernie. Reduce Rudd & Coon to cameos.

Borderline insane we never saw Rudd and Coon doing a regular bust with throwers in this movie.
#4998400
Well from the cast i guess Rudd is the one that's really expensive.Carrie is super talented but she's not really a star.
Rudd is,or at least the studio thinks he is.Second i would guess is Finn Wolfhard.
If they're cutting costs on stars i don't think the OGs are on top of the salary list.Except maybe Bill.
#4998426
mrmichaelt wrote:
13th Floor wrote: June 8th, 2024, 1:26 am Plus Lucky that is a very good GB team,i wish they had an adventure with just themselves,no OGs.
Image
I get it's another medium but they are in the Back in Town comic.
That's most of the reason i like Back in Town,it's a very barebones series but it's cool that it's them in NY figuring stuff out and Phoebe/Trevor go to school.
It feels like a setup for a GB tv show,which i'm more and more leaning towards as a good future for the franchise.
Network tv would love it.
#4998428
13th Floor wrote: June 8th, 2024, 1:26 am
mrmichaelt wrote:Gil Kenan posted a group photo taken during production of Wolfhard, Coon, Grace, Rudd, and Kim outside the Firehouse.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C76bpFkNwoK/
Plus Lucky that is a very good GB team,i wish they had an adventure with just themselves,no OGs.
Image
Petition to add the woman doing THIS pose on the right to the new team!
Image
  • 1
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • 43

A grasshopper walks into a bar... :) Welcome!

I like the hole placement on the N-filter!

Also to be included, are the Venkman inspired ESP […]

The Video Game Lifegard

I'm sorry, I forgot, too. Here are some pics I j[…]