Have a guide or tutorial? Post it up!
By GB Ty
Alright now, this is what, my third try at making this tutorial?! Ok, Gimp Shop is a free program, and very similar to photo shop. You can get the Gimp Shop program here, http://www.gimpshop.com/ Ok now lets start.

First off, make a new layer. On the screen that pops up select foreground color and press ok. Now your new layer should be black. Next change it to screen mode. That option is located on a box that should be on the right side of your screen. So with all that taken care of select the paint brush tool and create a strait line. Then after that, go under filter, distort, then ripple. Select how much of a bend you want in your stream then press ok.

After that, it's time to glow. Duplicate that layer 3 times. Now time to give all of them a Gaussian Blur. Select the original layer and then select the width of blur-

Original layer- 5

Copy 1- 10

copy 2- 20

copy 3- 30

Now your beam should have a nice glow,

Alright after that you need to merge all of the beam layers, make sure not to merge them to the main image while you merge them. You need to merge one to one at a time, when you merge one the background turns black and you need to switch it to screen, now repeat this until the beam layers are all merged. Now to give your beam that orange-gold glow, go under image, adjustments, color balance. Now, there's thee options there. And sliders, to change the color, heres the settings I go with. But make sure the preserve Luminosity setting isn't selected.

Shadows- Yellow 79

Midtones- Red 50, Yellow 50

Highlights- Red- 73, yellow 100

And now your beam should look like this

And now for the lightning. It's done just like the beam, but on a much smaller scale. Make new layer, just like with the beam. Now use the paint brush tool, and try your best to draw the lighting. Once done duplicated it 3 time just like with the beam, and time for a Gaussian blur. Start with the first copy

Copy1- 2

copy2- 4

copy3- 8

Now your lighting should have a nice white glow to it.

Again after that you need to merge all of the lightning layers, make sure not to merge them to the main image while you merge them. You need to merge one to one at a time, when you merge one the background turns black and you need to switch it to screen, now repeat this until the lightning layers are all merged. Now to change this white to blue just like the beam, with the color balance. But make sure the preserve Luminosity setting isn't selected.

Shadows- Cyan100, blue100

Midtones- Cyan100, blue100

Highlights- cyan100, blue100

Now your lightning should look like this

merge the beam and the lightning together, and you'll have to set that layer to screen. Now we'll give that a slight motion blur, under the same place as the Gaussian blur,

Now it 's time for the proton flare!

Time to use the flare; you can use the same one I used as an example, shown above. To do it, save it to your picture file. Then in Gimp open a new layer, but hold off on setting it to screen mode. Now open a new image, the flare. Use the cut option, and then close the new window that opening the new image made. Then paste it into the window that you’re creating the proton stream in, now turn the layer to screen mode. Put the flare between the gun barrel and the stream. It may be a bit big so right click on the flare layer and click on scale layer. It may take a couple of tries to get it to the size you want.

We're going to want to give the flare a Gaussian blur of 8.

Then merge all layers, and there ya go!
Last edited by GB Ty on May 6th, 2009, 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By Jordin
Yeah can you get the pics up? Id certainly like to be able to see how to do this
By GB Ty
Wow, and here I was thinking that no one liked the program GIMP Shop. :lol: I have gotten a bit better with that program, since when I post that tutorial. I will repost the tutorial. But it 's getting kind of late were I'm living, I'll get it up tomorrow. 8)
By GB Ty
My skills with Gimp has grown. My streams has gotten better. So I changed the tutorial. :)
Last edited by GB Ty on September 4th, 2007, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GB Ty
With using the same way as in tutorial, I made this. I think I finally found out how to make great streams with gimp.

By what0080
I tried using the Gimp techniques in Photoshop...

I'm happy with the Beam itself, but I feel the lightning needs work. Maybe I should stop using the "Difference Clouds" methods of creating lightning... Image

Any suggestions?
By GB Ty
The lightning it self looks really good. It’s just that it doesn’t flow to well with the main stream. Also looks like you used a pretty big number for the motion blur perhaps lessen the number and see how that does. Keep up the work, cause if that’s your first stream you’re already doing better then I’ve ever done. And thanks for taking interest in the tutorial.
By Robukun
And it doesn't matter which version you use from GIMP?
Well, i use GIMP 2.6.4, but i think i don't understand some things in your Tutorial, like what for good layer you choose, how you let it Glow, the colors, etc..

Would you like to help me a little bit?

thanx
By GB Ty
Not to sure, there should be similarities with the various versions. Here’s where the “add new layer” commands, and the “change color” commands should be-

"add new layer"

"change color"

Hope that'll help.
By Robukun
Hello, this is what i made with GIMP, not with that version what you use.
I understand some things at the tutorial or i follow that instructions on my way :P

So i hope you like it: :-)

I hope the picture is not so big :oops:

I've tried my best :wink:

And off course: Many thanx for that Tutorial :D
By what0080
2nd attempt:

The last time, I forgot to turn off the "Preserve Luminosity" setting on Color Balance. Also, I tried hand drawing the lightning effects...

What do you think?
By GB Ty
Man, that’s kick ass! The lightning flows great, but in PhotoShop you want to leave on Preserve Luminosity. Because the Proton Stream looks too dark, but except for that your stream is awesome.
By Syco54645
Im gonna mess with this when i get home today i think.
By Syco54645
OK, some clarification was needed on my part that I got in #gimp on freenode. Anyways, the screen mode is in a drop down on the Layers, channels, path, etc window on the layers tab right below where it says layers.
for the ripple change it to vertical orientation. set the period up high (distance between lows) and set the amplitude is the height of them. its a simple sine wave, but till i found that you needed it to be vertical it wasnt working for me. i will edit this with more clarifications that i come across.
By Syco54645
Here is my offering done with the gimp, not gimp shop. you should make a tutorial for gimp as well. seems some things are different. Like when doing the color adjustment I had to merge down the layers, starting with the most blurred working my way down or else I would lose the bluring. If i deselected maintain luminosity then it turned the entire picture a color too.
anyways, here it is.
By GB Ty
You just brought something into the light for me. I forgot to mention that you need to merge the various layers, I will re-edit my tutorial when I get the time.
By GB Ty
BUMP!

Woot! I got the tutorial updated, I will do more updating to it later with examples of the work I do with gimp, just a few.
By GB Ty
Alright, the window where your proton stream image is in, open a new layer, on the screen that pops up select foreground color and press ok. Now hold off on setting it to screen, on the left side where all of the paint tools are go under file and open a new image, the proton flare. Now the image will open up in a new window, go under edit and use the cut option now close that window. In your proton stream image, go under edit then paste; just make sure that you’re pasting the flare on the new layer that’s all back. Now anchor it to that screen by right clicking on the layer over at the right, there in the layers box, and right click to choose to anchor it. That should be it.
By Robukun
GB Ty wrote:Alright, the window where your proton stream image is in, open a new layer, on the screen that pops up select foreground color and press ok. Now hold off on setting it to screen, on the left side where all of the paint tools are go under file and open a new image, the proton flare. Now the image will open up in a new window, go under edit and use the cut option now close that window. In your proton stream image, go under edit then paste; just make sure that you’re pasting the flare on the new layer that’s all back. Now anchor it to that screen by right clicking on the layer over at the right, there in the layers box, and right click to choose to anchor it. That should be it.
Please, can you explain with some pictures how it works again? :blush::-? I'm sorry for that :-(

(and because my English is not so perfect, when i must read the tutorial, but i understand already the streams and the others :mrgreen:

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]