ok i should have been more specific, the ones in GB1 had a bolt and did NOT have zip-ties.

you must understand that when i speak in terms of accuracy, i generally have GB1 in mind. :P

Btw i drilled through a real LC-1 frame so . . . . .man up and do it!
Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't want my pack's fate resting on the strength of a zip tie...

Accurate or not, I just don't trust zip ties that much.
First thing is to undo the quick release buckle so you only have to work with the lower strap without the entire pad bring involved.

Next, bring the looped end of the strap through the hole in the frame so that the loop is on the inside of the frame.

Then pull the buckle-end of the strap up through the looped end and pull it tight! Re-attach to the upper part of the strap and you're done!

Again, sorry to stack posts (I considered editing the previous, but that wouldn't have shown up as a new post on the main page...so...y'know)

Another question: Is the horizontal cross bar on an alice pack curved? Or is it flat? I just noticed, both the vertical and horizontal crossbars on my alice frame curve a little...the horizontal bar toward my back...the vertical bar away from my back, when I'm wearing it...

I bet his will cause mounting issues, unless there's a way to fix it. If I need to, I'll post pics if you can't tell what I mean in the explanation...
joeghostbuster wrote:how high should an alice frame be for someone who is + 6' high? I have a frame w/out straps but it looks a little small, I'd prefer to just buy straps for it but if its too small then I'll buy a bigger one w/ straps and pad...
I'm 6' 2", and the top of my ALICE frame (when the straps are tightened up) its near the top of my shoulders and the kidney pad sits at the small of my back, by my kidneys (go figure)! If yours doesn't sit like that, then it might be too short.
I'm under the impression that the ALICE frame only comes in one standard size and it's the bags/packs that come in different sizes. I think as long as the kidney pad of the pack sits at the small of your back as mburkit described above, you should be fine.

I think as general rule, if you are not changing the size of your Proton Pack to account for your height (In the specific case of making a child-sized pack or a 'sissy-girly' pack) then the ALICE frame should remain unchanged as well...
One thing I did notice, was that the packs do ride higher on some of the actors then others.. but that could also be acounted for my the shoulder strap's adjustments, I think.
My pack was riding very oddly the last time I wore it, so I figured I'd compare my pack with my wife's which rides fine.

My straps that go to the frame were way too tight to the frame, so the shoulder pads were riding too far back. Also, I've noticed the left front lower strap adjustment doesn't seem to grip as much as it should. Wonder if the spring that makes that clamp tighten can be adjusted any?
Ours did.. and we bought two of them.

Could be your supplier got the frames and straps separately. But thats why this guide it here anyway.

(Plus, odds are you'd have to remove everything anyway, in order to paint the frame black anyway.)

We had to remove all the straps, paint the frames, and then reassemble everything back on them.
The instructions here, I beleive, are the actual instructions for the packs.
Just a Quick question. I'm thinking about purchasing from this Omaha's surplus store. where the links are from in the original post...

Has anyone purchased from there before? is there service any good?

I wish to purchase there because they have the flight suits, belts, and Alice packs all in one place so it will save me a lot in sending to Australia! :cool:
Has anyone had problems painting the frame? I have a more recent olive drab frame that I got from Ebay. I sprayed it black, (before I realised I didn't really have to) with your average black satin enamel spray paint, coating it twice and left it to dry over 24 hours. I've just come back to it and I've noticed it rubs off on my hands and I can scrape it off very easily with my fingernails, revealing the original olive drab. What have I done wrong? Do I need special magic paint for aluminium?
Thanks
GB_Wales wrote:Has anyone had problems painting the frame? I have a more recent olive drab frame that I got from Ebay. I sprayed it black, (before I realised I didn't really have to) with your average black satin enamel spray paint, coating it twice and left it to dry over 24 hours. I've just come back to it and I've noticed it rubs off on my hands and I can scrape it off very easily with my fingernails, revealing the original olive drab. What have I done wrong? Do I need special magic paint for aluminium?
Thanks
You might have needed to clean it first. Just think of all the dirt, grime and grease a standard frame might come in contact with.
agreed, clean it with a solvent of some kind and i suppose in this situation a little sanding wouldnt hurt either.

i did no prep work besides cleaning when I painted my first frame with one thick coat of krylon flat black and had no problems. If you're having a problem, i would try using Rustoleum since it was developed for use on metal. also flat black it what you want, not satin.

GB_Wales wrote:I sprayed it black, (before I realised I didn't really have to)
in order to be accurate, it is necessary to paint your OD frame black, there were no OD fames used in the movies.
alphabeta001, xoff00 liked this
I had thought it might be dirty, so I gave it a wipe down before painting it, but obviously that wasn't enough! I've rubbed a small area of it right down with wire wool and sprayed it and I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys!
Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]