Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
How about Zuul Dana with Fridge and Counter Top!

Ready to believe you Ray with video camera and pack of smokes!!!

6" Need a damn job Winston with sports coat and newspaper ad!

6" Naughty dream Ray with BJ Ghost!

6" Upper Westside Janosz Poha with Vigo painting and removable glowing eye head

6" Bath time Dana with tub, baby Oscar and removable blouse

Come on Matty, Get with it!!!!
I don't see them making multiple Danas. I think Dana in the red Zuul dress is likely, and the obvious choice, but I don't see variants.

They already made a "Ready To Believe You" Ray, if you're talking about the commercial which I would assume you are.

Tbh, I'm curious to see if they do release any of the characters in costumes that minor. I don't think they will. There's the original costumes, and the courtroom, labcoats and GB2 costumes.
Aside from that, there's probably a few variants involving half unsuited costumes, and the sewer gear from GB2. Peter in his orange coat from the city courtyard. Maybe the library guys.

But will they keep going to the point where they're making the guys in their street clothes from obscure scenes? I don't think so. Especially since there are also only a handful of non-GB characters left.

They've done Louis (and Matty said they can't secure the rights to make a GB2 version). They've done Walter Peck.
I would say Vigo, Dana as Zuul, Janine, Gozer and at least one Terror Dog are likely. Maybe Janosh. I think Slimer could be sold as his own figure with a more detailed sculpt and a bit larger size (GB2). Maybe a bunch of accessories and a bus-driver seat/steering wheel.
Then who? That's tops 7 more new figures (one of which will be this year), and under 10 GBs. I have a feeling this line will reach an end after 2013. Unless the new movie comes out and gives it a shot in the arm and it goes to stores and goes back to the start.
AHAAHAAH! I can't believe it.... on the forum somewhere in the topic 'what action figure should matty do next' or something like that, there was a guy who commented "a scaled reproduction of the statue of liberty! best action figure ever!!" it looks like he was right after all...
PASS!
Yea seriously. The only way I could see it being a hot item for even the most hardcore GB fan is if it had space for the GBs in the head and was a cross section in the back, or something. So you could actually see something movie specific like "slime time."
And like people said, maybe come with some kind of pink slime or music feature. But even still, that wouldn't be very warranting of the price. There's no way they could make it to scale; so it would just come with mini figurines.

Eventually I want to display my Ghostbusters, and it'd be cool to throw a Statue of Liberty in there with my Stay Puft bank, but not this one, when I can pick one up for 1/4 the price at any gift shop next time I'm in NY.
Nice to a librarian ghost action figure at last. Also the slime blower Winston is looking much better than the earlier version. Nice to see another proton stream and no ghost logo base with Ray, I hope that in the future maybe with either a courtroom Ray or Egon that Mattel includes another proton stream. It looks like 2011 is shpaing up to be a nice year for ghostheads between the action figures, the minimates, and the new video game.

PS: Does anyone know if DST if planing on releaseing the rumored ghost trap bank? I hope that they are.
finally, a place to hold my money on my belt while at cons.... PERFECT !!
I have a feeling Mattel is going to go big and give us a decent sized Stay Puft. Maybe that will be the comic con item. I think the marshmallow theme of the display was some kind of hint.

I think whatever the item is, they will stick to the main Ghostbusters, Slimer or Stay Puft, since they want to welcome the more casual fans at the con.
I don't understand people's complaints about the size of the Library ghost at all. I think they're flat out wrong. It's a torso and it's the same size as Egon or any of the other figures on the 6 inch scale.

There are even pictures I was looking at of the actual puppet next to people, and it was that scale. I think perhaps with the way she lunges forward to scare them, and the way it's alone in the shot, people have gotten the idea that she's bigger than she is. I think it's simply not the case though.
JerryT wrote:I don't see them making multiple Danas. I think Dana in the red Zuul dress is likely, and the obvious choice, but I don't see variants.

They already made a "Ready To Believe You" Ray, if you're talking about the commercial which I would assume you are.

Tbh, I'm curious to see if they do release any of the characters in costumes that minor. I don't think they will. There's the original costumes, and the courtroom, labcoats and GB2 costumes.
Aside from that, there's probably a few variants involving half unsuited costumes, and the sewer gear from GB2. Peter in his orange coat from the city courtyard. Maybe the library guys.

But will they keep going to the point where they're making the guys in their street clothes from obscure scenes? I don't think so. Especially since there are also only a handful of non-GB characters left.

They've done Louis (and Matty said they can't secure the rights to make a GB2 version). They've done Walter Peck.
I would say Vigo, Dana as Zuul, Janine, Gozer and at least one Terror Dog are likely. Maybe Janosh. I think Slimer could be sold as his own figure with a more detailed sculpt and a bit larger size (GB2). Maybe a bunch of accessories and a bus-driver seat/steering wheel.
Then who? That's tops 7 more new figures (one of which will be this year), and under 10 GBs. I have a feeling this line will reach an end after 2013. Unless the new movie comes out and gives it a shot in the arm and it goes to stores and goes back to the start.
One thing that could help keep the line alive is video game based figures. You can get another release of each OGB in game gear, plus the rookie. Throw in some stand alone ghost figures from the game, like some of your cooler boss figures and the line can easily sustain itself for a bit. The problem is Mattel likes to reuse a lot of parts and doing a lot of ghost figures doesn't allow for that. Probably the best thing they could do is start making build-a-figures. Make a 6 piece build-a-figure so that you need to get all the figures in a year. You could easily do this with a terror dog and potentially increase sales because many of us will buy doubles of each to get two terror dogs.
I think The Rookie and Bill Murray's brother possessed by Evo Shandor (w/ Gozer skull) might be the only two I'd have interest in, though. Pretty much the best parts of that game were classic elements of the original film.
Even the GBs looked exactly as they did in the first movie. The packs were the only difference.

Once this line runs out of gas, the RGB is the only way to go I think. I know they've explained that it's unlikely because it would require all new tooling, but at some point in time maybe they will reconsider.
I'm sure there are plenty of elements of the current line that could be re-tooled to fit.
What do you change on the proton packs? The barrel and the paint job?
New scultped PKE meters and accessories is pretty minor since that's something they do regularly anyways.
I'm not sure what they'd do with bodies. You'd have to get rid of some detail, and the nametags, but I am not one that would cry over retooling and good paint jobs there.

The biggest undertaking is the head sculpts, but that's part of making action figures. I'm not sure how many variants there are to be had, but the classic RGB, and the Citizen Ghost spook versions would both be huge hits.
The popularity is certainly less than the major characters from the classic movies. I agree. But once the cinematic version hasn't any characters left in it's tank, it's the next logical step to keep it strong for another couple years.

The movies will also be more popular than the cartoons, like Matty says, but with that being said I don't think you're going to see the guy who loves Bass Masters outselling RGB Venkman and Egon, or the Citizen Ghost green ghouls anytime soon. Not in the target demographic.
If they do another official GB video game, they should tap into Hellbent. Now there's a video game that I'd like to see introduced into the line.
Mainly because Hellbent has more original elements, whereas the Ghostbusters Video Game is an awesome 3rd movie, but mostly a huge tribute to the first movie.

I don't see why Hellbent couldn't end up strongly the framework for another big game release, since word is pretty much that Aykroyd/Ramis/Stupinksy/Eisenberg have moved on from that and done something that is way more simplified and "fun"

In my dream world Murray would give the thumbs up any day now, and they'd move forward on what is hopefully a brilliant GB3 script, and after that, Atari greenlights a second video game (prequel) set in the 90s, based on Hellbent with the voices.

And then Matty goes wild with it's Ghostbusters line because it's back in the mainstream.
RGB would require lots of retooling if done right. They wouldn't be able to reuse any parts from the movie line and all the bodies would be different sculpts, except maybe Peter and Winston. With the movie figures they only change the heads and give Peter new fore arms and legs. Matty can potentially save a ton of money if they just mass produce the GB bodies and then just produce a new head when they change characters making the cost of production much lower per unit. With RGB every character would require a different body. You can't produce 10,000 RGB bodies to make 2,500 of each GB. Also the cartoon packs and the movie packs are rather different. That again would be a whole new sculpt if done right, which is part of making figures but also an expense Matty doesn't seem willing to take on.

I think an RGB line would be a great success if it had some retail support and if it had a company willing to cut into the bottom line a little bit. It would be profitable to Mattel to do it, I believe, but not as profitable as the movie line is and therefore doesn't seem worth doing in Mattel's eyes.

As for the movie figures, the next Winston is basically just a regular Winston with a Slime blower and new head sculpt. Video game renditions of the OGBs would pretty much be just that. I think the final version of the new pack would be a really interesting display piece and would allow for you to display different teams of GBs fighting different ghosts. Put some different expressions on their faces and make game traps, ecto goggles, and PKE's and you've got a great set of figures with minimal cost just how Matty likes it.
You're definitely right about the bodies. I didn't consider that. It would certainly require some work, but I wish they'd give it a try since there is a limit on how far the line can go.

You have a point about the slime blower just being a backpack variant, but it also represents a version of a character from one of the movies that people care a lot about, and associate with a film.
I think Slime Blower Winston will sell much better than the Multi-Stream pack from the video game. Plus the game is a couple years old now. If they were going to make figures from the video game, their best bet of selling would have been in a small run at the same time the game came out.
Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]