Discuss the content of pages on the site, as well as figure out how to properly format pages you are editing.
#356180
Kingpin wrote:
Cyland Props wrote:"Pyschic Disturbance Neutralizer"
It may be the official name, but I've never cared for it myself. To me, and it seems a lot of people, they'll always be "Tripod Traps".
The term "Tripod Traps" came about because of the yellow and black stripie cylinder on the PDN's . Ignorance if you ask me. Trap indicates that it actually traps something, holds it until released. The script calls them electronic devices. The name Psychic Disturbance Neutralizers came from the Cinefex article, page 22. " When the Ghostbusters try to neutralize this pyschic disturbance, the art pieces crash through a glass case or fall to the floor" . The only time they are referanced in print.

While calling them tripod traps kind of describes them, calling them what they are, Psychic Disturbance Neutralizers is correct. It would be like calling a screwdriver a hamer and not wanting to change, you look like a fool to everyone else.
#356182
Cyland Props wrote:you look like a fool to everyone else.
You're not going to win many people over to the "Pyschic Disturbance Neutralizer" side with that. :)


I don't see the name changing, they've been referred to (regardless of whether it's incorrect or not) as Tripod Traps for years, most fans know what's being talked about at the mention of "Tripod Trap" (even Mattel listed it as such on their Slimeblower Winston page, so incorrect as it may be, it's the accepted lingo), plus it's an easier name to remember. Obviously things would be different if they'd called them that in the movies, but it isn't the case.
#356186
In Cinefex, that's a mention of what the Ghostbusters are doing, not an indication of the function of the devices within the scene. Couldn't the Proton Packs, Traps and half the other gear in their arsenal be called "Psychic Disturbance Neutralizers" as well?
#356203
RoboTrap wrote:In Cinefex, that's a mention of what the Ghostbusters are doing, not an indication of the function of the devices within the scene. Couldn't the Proton Packs, Traps and half the other gear in their arsenal be called "Psychic Disturbance Neutralizers" as well?
In the movie, books, articals or script do they refer to it as trapping or neutralizing? I just don't get the resistance to using the correct term. Trap is just such a lazy term when we can clearly see no trapping going on. Think of the PDN's as more of a small proton pack than a trap.
#356212
Cyland Props wrote: In the movie, books, articals or script do they refer to it as trapping or neutralizing? I just don't get the resistance to using the correct term. Trap is just such a lazy term when we can clearly see no trapping going on. Think of the PDN's as more of a small proton pack than a trap.
It's not the correct term just because you say it is. That's why there is resistance. The whole job of a "Ghostbuster" is to neutralize "psychic disturbance". And given the quote you gave from the Cinefex article, that's exactly what it sounds like the author was trying to do: describe what the ghostbusters were doing in the scene, not name the device. As far as many are concerned, these props will always be "tripod traps". Throwing hissy fits because people aren't utilizing your made up name isn't going to change that trend any time soon.
#356222
mburkit wrote:
Cyland Props wrote: In the movie, books, articals or script do they refer to it as trapping or neutralizing? I just don't get the resistance to using the correct term. Trap is just such a lazy term when we can clearly see no trapping going on. Think of the PDN's as more of a small proton pack than a trap.
It's not the correct term just because you say it is. That's why there is resistance. The whole job of a "Ghostbuster" is to neutralize "psychic disturbance". And given the quote you gave from the Cinefex article, that's exactly what it sounds like the author was trying to do: describe what the ghostbusters were doing in the scene, not name the device. As far as many are concerned, these props will always be "tripod traps". Throwing hissy fits because people aren't utilizing your made up name isn't going to change that trend any time soon.
But earlier in the artical they talk about actually trapping the Scolari brothers. I'm not making this stuff up, it's all there in print. Most of the artical was writen by or has large quotes from the effects team from the film. Using some of the theories thrown around in here we should just start calling the Proton Packs those portable backpack trap things because they trap ghosts in their beams. Traps for everyone!!!!

I'm not trowing a hissy just correcting the incorrect.
#356238
The article is here on the site, the exact page is here: http://www.gbfans.com/ghostbusters-2/ar ... inefex/20/. If you want to be "accurate" it says they were trying for "a straight polarity reversal" scene so why not call them polarity reversers?

Tripod traps can still work as it's forcing the "energy" back to its source and "traping" it so it doesn't come through again. :whatever:
#356426
jackdoud wrote:The article is here on the site, the exact page is here: http://www.gbfans.com/ghostbusters-2/ar ... inefex/20/. If you want to be "accurate" it says they were trying for "a straight polarity reversal" scene so why not call them polarity reversers?
1. The polarity of what?
2. Which polarity?

To me the idea of the name of the device should be what it does not how it does it.

The idea of having a name that describes what the device does sounds better:

Psycho Kinetic Energy meter, P.K.E meter for short.
Kenetic Unit Detector or K.U.D. of course this was a made up name that was derived from Kitchen Utensil Detector
Latent Image Sensor or L.I.S.. Again another made up name, Keith Marshall suggested naming the prop seen briefly in the same montage after Lost In Space because the device has a dome simular to the Robot B-9 from Lost In Space.

Another bit of logic was that the name should be something that is kind of catchie so as it could be shortened to just it's initals P.D.N.s is catchie P.R.s is not.
Kingpin wrote: (even Mattel listed it as such on their Slimeblower Winston page, so incorrect as it may be, it's the accepted lingo)
Mattel just got their info from our pages here look at that Slimeblower it's horrible. Half if not more or the PKE meter information they ripped from my web page and even then got some of that wrong.
#356439
Cyland Props wrote: 1. The polarity of what?
2. Which polarity?
The polarity of whatever was causing the disturbance; any particle or molecule with a magnetic orientation. They'd be reversing magnetic movement of the energy flow back to its point of origin, at least I'd imagine that to be their goal.
#357018
Cyland Props wrote: 1. The polarity of what?
2. Which polarity?
Unless you're trying to start an in-universe theory discussion it doesn't matter. They were just trying to do a standard trope. "Reversing the Polarity is the be-all end-all technical solution for any problem." http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sePolarity
#357903
jackdoud wrote:
Cyland Props wrote: 1. The polarity of what?
2. Which polarity?
Unless you're trying to start an in-universe theory discussion it doesn't matter. They were just trying to do a standard trope. "Reversing the Polarity is the be-all end-all technical solution for any problem." http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sePolarity
Nope just repling to your suggestion
If you want to be "accurate" it says they were trying for "a straight polarity reversal" scene so why not call them polarity reversers?
With my background of schooling in electronics, electrical, metalworking, art, psychology, computers and working with all the above I was just trying to clarifiy what polarity you were refering to. If I were to go into a electronics store that's the first question they would ask. In a way you answered my question by telling me you don't know. Here in the world of Ghostbusters the name of a tool at their disposal should describe what that tool does. Psychic Disturbance Neutralizers describes what they do.


But then I guess you just are not a real fan.
Dan AKA wrote:When are you going to start yelling at everyone for not calling Slimer, Onionhead?
In the first movie he wasn't named atleast on screen and in the second movie you pretty much only see him twice both times interacting with only Louis and his name appears in the end credits, named after the cartoon version. What's the difference? Canon, accepted because it is in offical movies, scripts, books and referance.
#357940
Cyland Props wrote:Here in the world of Ghostbusters the name of a tool at their disposal should describe what that tool does. Psychic Disturbance Neutralizers describes what they do.
But that name doesn't describe what it does. You could call the Proton Packs or Ghost Traps the same thing!

Here's what we know: They look like Traps mounted on tripods; they reverse polarity; they emit lasers.
Egon wrote:... this a high voltage laser containment system....
The concept of the scene was a "polarity reversal", and the execution utilized the imagery and concepts behind their ghost containment technology. Unless you want to call them something involving polarity reversal, Tripod Trap works extremely well.
Cyland Props wrote:But then I guess you just are not a real fan.
Really?
#358093
Cyland Props wrote:Makes me wonder if you guys are just being contrary to be contrary or you actually be this stuff.
Well, thus far your only arguments have been:
  • A quote that makes no reference to the devices in question.
  • A complete disregard for the only mention of the devices' functionality.
  • Highly selective discussion of other members points.
  • Dismission, avoidance or straw man replacements of other members posts.
  • Insults.
You're taking certain things for granted, and completely refusing to reevaluate the position you've taken. If you hadn't been around here for so long, I'd assume you were trolling, just to see how long you could get us to repeat ourselves over and over while you ignore what we say.
#358119
From Ghostbusters II:JR Novel pages 34 and 36:


Image


Technically they say "Electromagnetic Devices" here, which is the most straight blank name I've seen.
But like everyone here, I agree that the name of the item (common name) is a '''Tripod Trap'''. Like said earlier, "Pyschic Disturbance Neutralizer" is based on a description.

Like it or not, usually in any given argument of this type it is the commonly known name that wins. Also noted earlier that likewise Slimer was not the officially named in the first movie, but was given the name in the cartoon series, which became the commonly known name. So in GBII he was called Slimer.
#358212
RoboTrap wrote:
Cyland Props wrote:Makes me wonder if you guys are just being contrary to be contrary or you actually be this stuff.
Well, thus far your only arguments have been:
  • A quote that makes no reference to the devices in question.
  • A complete disregard for the only mention of the devices' functionality.
  • Highly selective discussion of other members points.
  • Dismission, avoidance or straw man replacements of other members posts.
  • Insults.
You're taking certain things for granted, and completely refusing to reevaluate the position you've taken. If you hadn't been around here for so long, I'd assume you were trolling, just to see how long you could get us to repeat ourselves over and over while you ignore what we say.
Actually I've been around for far longer than you think, starting out on Ghostbusters Homepage web board back in 1995-96ish, then ASAP when it came about, then Proptopia when it split from the ASAP and here when it started but I never really joined over here till 2002 why? Well this site never really had that big of a prop section and the other boards were more focused on props. To be honest I'm not sure who came up with the term Tripod Traps but it started way back on that Ghostbusters Homepage web board, it might have been me who knows? So if I did I'm changing it. End of story.

I was watching ALF on prime and had to post this r[…]

GBFans wand light kit came so it's time for anothe[…]

Huh, that looks like the Ecto-1 from the 2016 movi[…]

Since the main discussion thread is temporarily lo[…]